Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Picked up a wireless dongle for the android auto in my 7.5 GTI, really wish I'd done this sooner! Got it set up last night and it seems to be working pretty much flawlessly.

https://www.aawireless.io/
Wireless is nice, got a CarPlay one for my Kona a while back...cause Hyundai's nicer infotainment setups (at least of the Kona's generation) don't have wireless but their lower end ones do :argh:

There's also pricier stuff (in the $250-300 range last I saw) that's essentially just a full on Android device on its own. They can still do CarPlay/Android Auto, but the whole schtick with those is being able to use standard Android apps, like for video streaming or car data (if you have an OBD reader), or whatever crap you can think of on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Ok Comboomer posted:

the recaros suck and they age like old milk. Once I saw a well-used pair and sat in a few I specifically held out for a car without them and I couldn’t be happier aside from the moments my back pain makes me miss seat heaters

How dare you disparage my precious Recaros. Sure, my wife hated them (minus the heaters) and anyone who ever rode shotgun was like “They’re cool but…”

My driver side has broken in perfectly for my (somewhat oversized) frame and I adore it. I might be biased by my old 300ZX but I think they’re great. I wrote off the standard sport seats after test driving one with them and couldn’t be happier.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quite A Tool posted:

How dare you disparage my precious Recaros. Sure, my wife hated them (minus the heaters) and anyone who ever rode shotgun was like “They’re cool but…”

My driver side has broken in perfectly for my (somewhat oversized) frame and I adore it. I might be biased by my old 300ZX but I think they’re great. I wrote off the standard sport seats after test driving one with them and couldn’t be happier.

just wait until the metal frame in the side bolster starts cutting through the fabric :(

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah I’ve been waiting with bated breath for that. It happened in my Z but those were all cloth and that was at ~150K miles so I’m hoping these hold out for awhile as I’m only at 36K on my ‘16.

It’s paid off and I’ve been seriously considering riding the used car value wave and selling up into a 5.0. I just know to get the creature comforts of the Fiesta it’s gonna be a pretty penny, which sounds dumb when I say it out loud. When I test drove a base 5.0 a few years ago I was sorely disappointed with everything but the drivetrain.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Yeah I’ve been waiting with bated breath for that. It happened in my Z but those were all cloth and that was at ~150K miles so I’m hoping these hold out for awhile as I’m only at 36K on my ‘16.

It’s paid off and I’ve been seriously considering riding the used car value wave and selling up into a 5.0. I just know to get the creature comforts of the Fiesta it’s gonna be a pretty penny, which sounds dumb when I say it out loud. When I test drove a base 5.0 a few years ago I was sorely disappointed with everything but the drivetrain.

I want to love the Mustang so bad but that car is really let down by its manual transmission

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm basically in the exact same boat as you in regards to the Recaros, mileage and year the same. As a larger fellow, the non-recaro's just felt like cardboard boxes with zero padding and comfort, the recaro's are a world of difference in that regard. My only gripe is that I had a issue with the seat "rails" or something early on owning the car that the seat felt like it would slide a half inch to the left or the right while I was cornering, depending on the direction I was going at the time. I fixed that though with some simple generic $20 whiteline bushing clamps and a bit of research on the forums.

Otherwise I haven't had a single issue or complaint at all(my wife and friends actually seem to enjoy them) on my 2016 with 40k miles. Seats still look great, broken in super nicely, a little creasing and such on the bolsters but zero cracks/actual damage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Super jealous of all these low-mile STs as I approach 100k 😬

It’s hard to know because a lot of the Ford forums are like VW/BMW forums with some added boomer/truck guy zest, but I’m not super confident in my little Ford’s ability to age all that gracefully

There’s not that many 150k+ mile examples out there but those that exist seem kinda rough

that said, people seem to uniformly point to poo poo like motor mounts, bushings, etc, as places where the car shows age—and ultimately most if not all of those are replaceable if you’re doing high-mile maintenance anyway

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I want to love the Mustang so bad but that car is really let down by its manual transmission

All my complaints were solved by replacing the shifter with one that is mounted to the transmission and not the body.

My only other complaint is they added auto rev matching the year after I bought mine. Would be fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The ten speed auto is cool.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The ten speed auto is cool.

My girlfriend has the 10-speed in her Mustang and it’s nice enough in normal use but *really* let’s the car down with any sort of performance driving, regardless of mode. Part of that is the sheer number of gears and the tiny font too low in the center screen showing the current gear, but it’s still not a well-programmed transmission. She regrets not waiting a bit to find one with the manual.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

My girlfriend has the 10-speed in her Mustang and it’s nice enough in normal use but *really* let’s the car down with any sort of performance driving, regardless of mode. Part of that is the sheer number of gears and the tiny font too low in the center screen showing the current gear, but it’s still not a well-programmed transmission. She regrets not waiting a bit to find one with the manual.

to paraphrase RCR, “it’s a Mustang, who cares, you’re used to everyone else being faster than you”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I really liked the one I drove but I didn't get to go high wild.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

to paraphrase RCR, “it’s a Mustang, who cares, you’re used to everyone else being faster than you”

By the numbers, she's got the fastest car in the household since I sold my MR2!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm driving my 70K mile '16 GTI to Philly again in a couple of weeks, just dotting all my "I"s and crossing my "T"s. Have a full new set of summer tires (and keep a tire inflator and impact gun in the car), have some G13 coolant or whatever the spec is though (it's in my storage space right this minute so I can't check). I'll be changing the oil this weekend, and I'm putting in new headlight bulbs as I've had them for almost two years so no harm in doing that early as they get dimmer over time. Did front brakes a while back (60K, commented in this thread) as they were wearing unevenly in the front and had gouged a rotor so both rotors are also new. Wheel bearings seem fine, shocks/struts seem fine, tire wear has been very even, I do need to verify my brakes are wearing evenly still... I may bleed the clutch until the fluid is normal-color, I installed ECS Tuning's clutch restriction remover/bleeder block and it has a handy check valve so I can solo bleed it.

Can anyone think of anything else I should focus on preparing? I'll of course be verifying coolant/distilled water level prior to leaving but with spare distilled in the car just in case, and removing everything that's excess, which is a lot of misc crap I just don't remove from the car right away. I even have the deer whistle thingies by my fog lights because every little bit helps and also gently caress deer that aren't being served as a meal.

Ooh, satellite radio was kind of nice last time...

Fake edit: Probably not like this this time, tho:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Id say just do a headlight/blinker check and you’re good. Sounds like you’ve got everything standard covered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How far is Philly because that seems like a lot of prep

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Yeah like is this like LA to Philly?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well last time was 24.14 hours of driving, so either LA or San Diego

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Oh in that case my apologies solid drive like that prep away NASA style even

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

It's ~1500 miles each way from Houston. Also, my serpentine belt is OG and I have a crack in my windshield that is not a huge deal in TX but does encroach in my field of view. Hoping it's not an issue in any of the intervening states but my rent goes up fully $200 this month so hooray.

For some clarity: my front tires needed replacing a few months back like legit at 3/64" tread and I went with summer tires (Continental Extreme Contact Sport) and love them but only two at that time. I grabbed a tire tread gauge because it's $4 but also I knew this trip was upcoming so it felt helpful. My rears had plenty of meat by the gauge, and when I got the new rears a few days ago he commented I was at like 4/64" and they didn't recommend replacing right then but I mentioned a 1500 miles each way drive and it made sense to the tire guy. I did not buy tires specifically for the drive, but I have four brand new summer tires and I still love them, holy poo poo that grip!

I very much don't want to need to stop for any amount of time in Beaumont, TX, Lake Charles, LA, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Slidell, Hattiesburg, MS, Meridian, Tuscaloosa, AL, Birmingham, AL, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville, and then a whole...fuckload...of...nothing...VA. (Also if you pass 80 mph in VA you're committing a class B misdemeanor and can be arrested.) Holy poo poo, it's eternal and I don't even spend any time in W. VA, praise Gawd. After Strasbourg it's Fairfax then skirt around the District and then Baltimore and then Wilmington in a state of non-existence and then Philly. I'm loving hating it after that run-through, that's the rote I took that landed me around the DC area on Veteran's day in 2016 and it was still loving godawful. Matching Impalas doing NASCAR poo poo on the expressway not to mention the specific unpleasant nature of driving anywhere near the District.

Edit: separately the original serpentine belt realization and remembering the windshield is exactly the type of stuff I was trying to bring together by asking, thanks again for all y'all's responses. Remembering how boringly pretty Virginia is because of draconian traffic laws are the poo poo icing(s?) on the cake(s?).

VVV Thanks, lol, I'm planning on camping en route. Lots of pretty country that some of, TN at least, was on fire-ish last time in Nov 2016.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 26, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If it counts, Mississippi is MS, Michigan is MI. God speed and safe travels you madman.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
You did much more prep than I did FL to MI

You'll be fine. I had 2 pitbulls and me in a fistyboi but I did it straight. Just redbull and walk the dogs breaks

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thank you all, I didn't even mention the toolbox I can barely lift that lives in the car. I did this once and it was fine though I a) worked a full day; b) changed my oil as I was only at about 10,000 miles then; c) went home and packed then left with no shower; and d) it was ~6 years ago, man, I was younger and getting old and poo poo sucks tho maybe less than the alternatives, iunno, man, I seen some studies. No passengers and lots of sugar-free Redbull/cherry-flavored ditch water breaks makes for a way more pleasant trip, and the GTI was a pretty comfortable place to be last time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I drive between DeeCee and Knoxville to visit my parents in TN and can confirm 81 sucks poo poo.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I became a Golf R guy today. It’s a manual and the pedal travel feels like, 6 feet long, but I’m getting used to it.

I love this dumb car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheWevel posted:

I became a Golf R guy today. It’s a manual and the pedal travel feels like, 6 feet long, but I’m getting used to it.

I love this dumb car.

Wowzers :holymoley:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

TheWevel posted:

I love this dumb car.

Excellent work!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

It's time to replace the suspension in my 2014 FoST. Are there upgrade options that are a good cost/benefit over oem? Trying to budget around $600.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

TheWevel posted:

I love this dumb car.

I like this very much

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

TheWevel posted:

I love this dumb car.

Ooof, that's gorgeous!

Quick question: anybody use/heard good or bad things about Retrofit Labs headlights for GTIs? I'd love to upgrade the headlights, but I balk at spending $600. Retrofits are about $250.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have a real dumb complaint and it's about me. As I get older, the way I hosed up the muscles in my legs and hips make bucket seats suck and painful to sit in for long drives and it's led me to thinking I should eventually trade in the GTI for something, but that's just idle thought. Someone give me cyber legs or something.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have a real dumb complaint and it's about me. As I get older, the way I hosed up the muscles in my legs and hips make bucket seats suck and painful to sit in for long drives and it's led me to thinking I should eventually trade in the GTI for something, but that's just idle thought. Someone give me cyber legs or something.

You could think about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it would be worth it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mambo No. 5 posted:

It's time to replace the suspension in my 2014 FoST. Are there upgrade options that are a good cost/benefit over oem? Trying to budget around $600.

Bilstein B6?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Previa_fun posted:

You could think about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it would be worth it.

Nah, cool cybernetic legs or no deal.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Oh god I'd suppressed that movie :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Previa_fun posted:

Adios nerd nuggets

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Thanks folks. I was actually looking for a GTI but this one popped up on Autotrader, was somehow available, and was being delivered in a few days. I guess I was in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money. Manual and black were not on my vision board but here we are. :c00l:

edit: here's a dumb question- summer tires? It gets cold here in Atlanta but not snowy usually, do I need to worry about all seasons or can I live with squirrelly tires the few days when it's cold?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 29, 2022

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

TheWevel posted:

Thanks folks. I was actually looking for a GTI but this one popped up on Autotrader, was somehow available, and was being delivered in a few days. I guess I was in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money. Manual and black were not on my vision board but here we are. :c00l:

edit: here's a dumb question- summer tires? It gets cold here in Atlanta but not snowy usually, do I need to worry about all seasons or can I live with squirrelly tires the few days when it's cold?

Unless you'll be doing a lot of driving when it's under 46* outside I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in Southern California and I run summers year round. Only time it was a problem was when I considered going up to the mountains in the winter, just took the wife's car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it gets both colder, wetter, and occasionally snowier/icier in ATL than socal

If you don't have to drive on the roughly 5-10 days when summer tires aren't appropriate in ATL, then I would just keep the summer tires and avoid driving. Even if you don't lose performance, driving on summer tires in cold and wet/icy conditions is not great for the longevity of the tire, so if you have to drive a bunch I'd try to swap to something like the AS4, which is most of the performance of a summer tire in an all-season package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Hey everybody, I bought the most controversial hot hatch and absolutely love it.