Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Zawahiri was a turd of a human being and I hope they indeed got him. Still, even in AQ's heyday, he was a diminished figure, notable only by his seniority, and keeping a cordon of his Egyptian pupils around Bin Laden for safety and shut him off from saudi influences.

His own organization was a disaster when it came to fundraising and was almost completely obliterated after his initial string of attacks against tourists in the early 1990s. If his death is what finally crashes the group forever, it was already very much on its deathbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump couldn't decide which Eric to endorse so he went with the chaos option as always.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1554227979168976898

what's funnier is how predictable the chaos is at this point.

You forgot an Eric

https://twitter.com/yesh222/status/1554231037043015686?t=ACwUlLfiBiBoqlKrboroKg&s=19

watch as everyone changes their name to Eric tomorrow to get his endorsement.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 2, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

You forgot an Eric

https://twitter.com/yesh222/status/1554231037043015686?t=ACwUlLfiBiBoqlKrboroKg&s=19

watch as everyone changes their name to Eric tomorrow to get his endorsement.

Donald Trump truly has the ability to convince people to act against their best interests in order to simper for his ephemeral approval if he's actually capable of making people want to be Eric. Even Eric Trump doesn't want to be Eric, and he's stuck that way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My main source for "gently caress Alex Jones" happenings is Knowledge Fight. Seems people are getting info from somewhere else. Anyone got some links? Because gently caress Alex Jones I want to see the dumb shithead squirm if he's actually going to take the stand.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bird food bathtub posted:

My main source for "gently caress Alex Jones" happenings is Knowledge Fight. Seems people are getting info from somewhere else. Anyone got some links? Because gently caress Alex Jones I want to see the dumb shithead squirm if he's actually going to take the stand.

gbs has a good thread for the trial, although some of it is derived from Jordan's ongoing livetweets

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Re Zawahiri:

Tbh I don't feel safer knowing that the world's foremost imperial power, that has been for years on the precipice of sliding into fascism, has the power to just kill people anywhere on the planet with no regard for national sovereignty or international norms.

When it comes to government power, you should always consider what happens if that power were directed at you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

America Inc. posted:

When it comes to government power, you should always consider what happens if that power were directed at you.

Could you workshop this line a bit more? Obviously there is no single instance where I’d be comfortable with anyone’s use of lethal or non lethal force at any time ever being applied to me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 2, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe Donnie truely thought his Eric son was finally being a man and striking out on his own (also being a useful tool for later) and thus endorsed the useful tool if it wins.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt there a fat regressive talking head named Erick E. Erickson?

Maybe Donnie talked to him recently. and he agree with Erick son of Erick about how walking home from the local Applebees was a deathmarch.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PhazonLink posted:

isnt there a fat regressive talking head named Erick E. Erickson?

Does him being fat have anything to do with him being regressive or did you just want to make fat goons feel bad in a casual manner

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like the us military killed Zawahri, who's been #1 in al qaeda for many years. Biden will undoubtedly try and make this into UBL 2.0

George W. Bush promised to find and bring swift justice to Bin Laden and Al-Zawahri immediately after 9/11.

He was right that they were eventually found and gotten, but 11 years and 21 years does seem a little slow. Maybe he meant we would bring justice swiftly after we find them, but not that we would find them swiftly?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Today are more primary elections and I have to say I'm getting sick of this whole "the primaries are a test of Trump's popularity" narrative. They're a test of how strong Trump's coattails are, but it's totally modulated by the merits or demerits of the primary candidates themselves. The test for Trump's popularity is how he himself does in an opinion poll.

Jaxyon posted:

Does him being fat have anything to do with him being regressive or did you just want to make fat goons feel bad in a casual manner

It obviously pertains to how Trump sees the man, Trump is obsessed with body image and himself quite fat. He seems to feel impressed or intimidated by strong-figured men, comfortable around fat men, and superior to skinny or weak men. The man's physique probably matters more than his politics in whether or not Trump takes a shine to the man.

The question of whether PhazonLink wanted to make fat goons feel bad is a distraction from the important question of impact, whether the post did make fat goons feel bad.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 2, 2022

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Why is Pelosi going to Taiwan?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

theCalamity posted:

Great food. Beautiful nature. They're US allies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theCalamity posted:

Pelosi got her start in politics organizing with Chinese pro-democracy groups in San Francisco. She also famously got in trouble in China for unveiling a sign honoring "those who died for democracy" during a visit to China after Tiananmen's Square. Most high-profile government officials don't visit Taiwan because of the U.S. policy of "strategic ambiguity" on the island.

She probably only has a few months left to go there as Speaker of the House and she wants to cap off her career with a meeting supporting Chinese democracy as a capstone to the way it started. She's also already in the area for unrelated meetings and decided to go while she was there instead of making a whole trip for it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pelosi got her start in politics organizing with Chinese pro-democracy groups in San Francisco. She also famously got in trouble in China for unveiling a sign honoring "those who died for democracy" during a visit to China after Tiananmen's Square. Most high-profile government officials don't visit Taiwan because of the U.S. policy of "strategic ambiguity" on the island.

She probably only has a few months left to go there as Speaker of the House and she wants to cap off her career with a meeting supporting Chinese democracy as a capstone to the way it started. She's also already in the area for unrelated meetings and decided to go while she was there instead of making a whole trip for it.

Obviously I'm not a high-ranking US diplomat, but it seems loving stupid as poo poo.

Unless you actually do want to start a war there I guess.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

uXs posted:

Obviously I'm not a high-ranking US diplomat, but it seems loving stupid as poo poo.

It's very dumb but people in positions like that become obsessed with the personal narrative they craft and call their legacy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Why should we care what China says regarding the visit of a diplomat to a completely separate sovereign nation? let them throw their tantrum, nobody is starting a war over Nancy Pelosi's performance visit.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The question of whether PhazonLink wanted to make fat goons feel bad is a distraction from the important question of impact, whether the post did make fat goons feel bad.

For me yeah.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

uXs posted:

China isn't going to shoot down her plane or start a war over it.

Chinese government officials also fly to U.S. territory and never get shot down by the U.S.

There are so many other areas of conflict between "the West" and China that either of them could theoretically start a war over that they could use if they wanted a pretense. So, this isn't even a very good pretense even if China wanted to do so.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the fat comment didn't make me feel bad because like all fat people I'm jolly

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why should we care what China says regarding the visit of a diplomat to a completely separate sovereign nation? let them throw their tantrum, nobody is starting a war over Nancy Pelosi's performance visit.

There's 13 countries + the Vatican that recognize Taiwan as a sovereign nation, and the US - precisely because China would throw an unholy tantrum - isn't one of them.

I'm totally on the side of democracy and as far as I'm concerned Taiwan should be its own nation, but there's the things we want and the things that are. And if I would have to bet on China starting a war over something, Taiwan would be very, very high on the list.

So if that's what you want, cool. But if you don't and it's just because she wants to grandstand and feel good about herself and 'supporting democracy', she's a loving idiot.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Honestly, I think Biden, while not particularly happy that this is happening, is willing to use it in a realpolitik style, telling China "Look, you're not doing all you can to stop Russia from invading Ukraine. There are ways it can cost you too..."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SirFozzie posted:

Honestly, I think Biden, while not particularly happy that this is happening, is willing to use it in a realpolitik style, telling China "Look, you're not doing all you can to stop Russia from invading Ukraine. There are ways it can cost you too..."

I really doubt it. The State Department asked her not to go and she didn't listen.

Also, this is entirely about hurt feelings and neither China nor the U.S. are actually materially impacted by this. It's not really leverage the U.S. has over China.

Pelosi is just the "highest ranking" U.S. official to go there. But, Senators and diplomats go all the time. There was a Senate delegation with 12 Senators there a few months ago.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

uXs posted:

There's 13 countries + the Vatican that recognize Taiwan as a sovereign nation, and the US - precisely because China would throw an unholy tantrum - isn't one of them.

I'm totally on the side of democracy and as far as I'm concerned Taiwan should be its own nation, but there's the things we want and the things that are. And if I would have to bet on China starting a war over something, Taiwan would be very, very high on the list.

So if that's what you want, cool. But if you don't and it's just because she wants to grandstand and feel good about herself and 'supporting democracy', she's a loving idiot.

China won't start a war simply over a higher ranking US politician visiting Taiwan :rolleyes:

If the US started doing something that would actually threaten China's grip over Taiwan, such as building military bases there, then I would agree with you. But those are very, very different things.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kalit posted:

China won't start a war simply over a higher ranking US politician visiting Taiwan :rolleyes:

If the US started doing something that would actually threaten China's grip over Taiwan, such as building military bases there, then I would agree with you. But those are very, very different things.

This might be a little stronger than wearing a dashiki for a photo op but yeah this is the correct take.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is properly what she wants, Democrats need to win over those Fox News viewers I guess.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1554486067499245570

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What’s probably gonna happen is China retaliates economically against the US, disrupts supply chains, and maybe slaps Taiwan around. Nothing direct against the US except waving their military show for propaganda.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gatts posted:

What’s probably gonna happen is China retaliates economically against the US, disrupts supply chains, and maybe slaps Taiwan around. Nothing direct against the US except waving their military show for propaganda.

Nah. Not even that.

China is going to issue a lot of sternly-worded letters and announce some military drills around Taiwan. They won't shutdown their own factories and ports in protest.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

uXs posted:

Are you culturally related to China and Taiwan or are you an expert at Asian international relations?

Just pointing it out that as a Taiwanese American I have strong opinions about this --- I'm very aligned with others when I'm saying that the US should do whatever it wants even with Chinese saber rattling. Let's say that the US acquiesces and Pelosi doesn't visit Taiwan on a very standard and normal congressional visit (of which many has happened over the last 2 years). This gives China a lot more power to yell even more or be even more aggressive, which they will do anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ntan1 posted:

Are you culturally related to China and Taiwan or are you an expert at Asian international relations?

Just pointing it out that as a Taiwanese American I have strong opinions about this --- I'm very aligned with others when I'm saying that the US should do whatever it wants even with Chinese saber rattling. Let's say that the US acquiesces and Pelosi doesn't visit Taiwan on a very standard and normal congressional visit (of which many has happened over the last 2 years). This gives China a lot more power to yell even more or be even more aggressive, which they will do anyway.
Also the Chinese aren’t dumb. They aren’t going to shoot down a US plane because of a diplomatic trip. Obviously they are upset but it’s not going to be something that prompts them to make a really drastic move.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Had to stand in line for an hour to vote today in Kansas, I think turnout is going to be quite a bit higher than they were expecting, but I have no idea what that means for the amendment

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

rscott posted:

Had to stand in line for an hour to vote today in Kansas, I think turnout is going to be quite a bit higher than they were expecting, but I have no idea what that means for the amendment

It's likely going to pass, right? I don't know what to make of that high turnout since abortion arouses such strong passions on both sides of the debate. I don't know what would keep that state legislature from going for a full ban other than some idea that there are lines that even the GOP base will not cross.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ntan1 posted:

No I'm just a dude on the internet.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also the Chinese aren’t dumb. They aren’t going to shoot down a US plane because of a diplomatic trip. Obviously they are upset but it’s not going to be something that prompts them to make a really drastic move.

We always thought Putin wasn't dumb either and here we are.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's likely going to pass, right? I don't know what to make of that high turnout since abortion arouses such strong passions on both sides of the debate. I don't know what would keep that state legislature from going for a full ban other than some idea that there are lines that even the GOP base will not cross.

Looking at this poll, it actually looks pretty close with enough undecided voters to soundly defeat it.

However, I say this knowing nothing about Kansas, so I'm sure rscott/others could probably provide a better gauge of that likelihood.

E:

uXs posted:

We always thought Putin wasn't dumb either and here we are.

How is Russia invading Ukraine comparable to China starting a war over Pelosi visiting Taiwan? Please be specific and I hope you include relevant actions by Putin and Xi, such as wars started, countries invaded and the relationships to them/the world, etc.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2022

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think it's going to be close either way. Republican elected officials are way more conservative as a whole than the electorate, except maybe out west so I think the threat of a complete ban is driving a lot of lower propensity voters to the polls

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Here's some potentially good news:
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1554528506821971968

Looks like they're not suing on grounds of abortion directly, but on providing needed medical care to pregnant women:

quote:

"In the days since the Dobbs decision, there have been widespread reports of delays or denials to pregnant women experiencing medical emergencies," Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a news conference Tuesday. "We will use every tool at our disposal to ensure that pregnant women get the medical care that they are entitled to."

quote:

The Justice Department is suing under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, which states that hospitals receiving Medicare funds "must provide medical treatment necessary to stabilize that condition before transferring or discharging the patient," according to Tuesday's lawsuit.

"The Idaho law would make it a criminal offense for doctors to comply with EMTALA's requirement to provide stabilizing treatment, even where a doctor determines that abortion is the medical treatment necessary to prevent a patient from suffering severe health risks or even death," DOJ said.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 2, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ntan1 posted:

It's not even "the US doing what it wants" whether you think that's good or bad. It's not designed to achieve anything politically, economically, or otherwise. The State Department doesn't even want her to do it and she told them to gently caress off

It's simply Nancy Pelosi throwing a party for herself in another country to add a stirring bookend to the China chapter in the auto-hagiography she's writing in her own head. Same energy as Ginsberg refusing to retire under Obama because the circumstances weren't symbolic enough for her personal legend

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

Here's some potentially good news:
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1554528506821971968

Looks like they're not suing on grounds of abortion directly, but on providing needed medical care to pregnant women:

Idaho had a trigger law on the books that just went too far. If the state legislature wants to (or they lose the case), then they can just pass a new law that allows for medical exemptions and they'll be fine under current law.

There's a GOP Governor and supermajority in the legislature (there's only 6 Democrats in the state Senate, lol), so they should have no problem doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looks like we can add DOD to the list.

At this point you can imagine Biden sitting awkwardly with JCS in the situation room, turning to his Chief of Staff and whispering "were we supposed to erase our jan 6 text messages too?"
https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1554560529355706369

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 3, 2022