Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

titties posted:

This is the worst name for a thing i have ever heard of

Well, the other half of that incident is working for SEAdLINNNG now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

How can 2 things each be the worst thing I've ever heard?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yoshiko beat the piss out of her in a match and broke her face.
If you actually look at the pictures of it, you think wow your head's not supposed to be shaped like that

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been reading Gary Harts book and in it he talks about his time with The Ultimate Warrior when he was first starting out in wrestling. He came in to World Class and Gary came up with the Dingo Warrior gimmick (originally it was going to be a tag team of Dingo and Socko but he couldn't find a partner for him, so he decided to call him The Dingo Warrior) and they tried to get him to actually train to get better at wrestling, but Warrior was in the gym twice a day and didn't want to train to get better at wrestling. He just wanted to get big and become a famous wrestler.

Anyway, because WCCW was shown on Japanese tv, Antonio Inoki saw it and wanted to bring over Kevin von Erich, Dingo Warrior and Scott Hall for a tour. What happened then was that WWF swooped in and signed Warrior and blocked him from going to Japan.

The real kicker here and the very intriguing alternate timeline is that Inoki had just come up with the Big Van Vader character and wanted Warrior to do it.

I can't imagine Warrior doing particularly well in Japan since he couldn't really work, all he could do was run, clothesline and slam people.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I choose to believe in a timeline where Ultimate Warrior was a 5-star early 90's Japanese wrestler and also his gimmick was Vader and he never did all the weird conservative stuff. That should be the next Marvel movie.

He'd have the face paint on under the mask, obviously.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If this means Vader now has the Ultimate Warrior gimmick, I'm all for this alternate timeline

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Act is wrestling again under a mask as Wild Bunny in Actwres girl'Z and seems generally healthy and happy now, so it didn't end on a sour note.

Isn't Actwres the "it's not TECHNICALLY pro wrestling but everybody is acting like pro wrestling" promotion?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't Actwres the "it's not TECHNICALLY pro wrestling but everybody is acting like pro wrestling" promotion?

Yes, technically Act has never wrestled in AWG because she was only wrestling in the technically not pro-wrestling part before they went full we're not doing any pro-wrestling and a bunch of wrestlers left to form Colors which appears in Stardom regularly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they used to have 2 brands & one was acting like pro wrestling and the other was pro wrestling. Which seemed like splitting hairs and then last year they decided to just stop the pro wrestling and stick to acting like pro wrestling and years later I'm still not overly sure what the difference is.

Coincidentally, lots of people seem to have gone from acting like wrestling to Stardom quite easily, not just the COLOR'S girls, but Stardom regulars Waka Tsukiyama, Mai Sakurai & Momo Kohgo. (Who to be honest are all pretty mediocre compared to SAKI or Tae Honma but they are also a pretty green trio)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Yes, technically Act has never wrestled in AWG because she was only wrestling in the technically not pro-wrestling part before they went full we're not doing any pro-wrestling and a bunch of wrestlers left to form Colors which appears in Stardom regularly.

She wrestled as Act Yasukawa on their December 13th Korakuen last year before they became a "pro wrestling show"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

I choose to believe in a timeline where Ultimate Warrior was a 5-star early 90's Japanese wrestler and also his gimmick was Vader and he never did all the weird conservative stuff. That should be the next Marvel movie.
He defeated Hogan and Taker in PRIDE in 1982.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Warrior being miserable early on in WWF and asking Owen if he should go to Japan is one of the funniest things. (Owen of course saying what are you crazy?)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have any wrestlers been banned from Ribera? He could have been the first.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MrBling posted:

Warrior was in the gym twice a day and didn't want to train to get better at wrestling. He just wanted to get big and become a famous wrestler.

I hate that this worked.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm glad it worked for sting who became a good wrestler 2 years ago

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ChrisBTY posted:

I hate that this worked.
I was just listening to Kevin Nash today talking about how people come up to him and say things like "you were my favorite wrestler, your tassels were so awesome!"

Truly we see from these two examples that if you go all-in on tassels, you can have a good career without being a technically skilled wrestler

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was just listening to Kevin Nash today talking about how people come up to him and say things like "you were my favorite wrestler, your tassels were so awesome!"

Truly we see from these two examples that if you go all-in on tassels, you can have a good career without being a technically skilled wrestler

Who was the wrestler that Curt Henning would rib by pulling off their tassels during matches?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrBling posted:

The real kicker here and the very intriguing alternate timeline is that Inoki had just come up with the Big Van Vader character and wanted Warrior to do it.

I can't imagine Warrior doing particularly well in Japan since he couldn't really work, all he could do was run, clothesline and slam people.

Oh god. Warrior coming out as the heater for Beat Takeshi almost works…better? Because he’d be this huge pile of muscles that can’t loving go. God, they would’ve burned Sumo Hall.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Grey posted:

Who was the wrestler that Curt Henning would rib by pulling off their tassels during matches?

I don’t know, but George Steele told a story about how everyone ganged up on Warrior during a battle royale, and tied his tassels to the ropes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

harperdc posted:

Oh god. Warrior coming out as the heater for Beat Takeshi almost works…better? Because he’d be this huge pile of muscles that can’t loving go. God, they would’ve burned Sumo Hall.

Warrior full-arse sprints to the ring mid-introduction, with a trail of smoke from the mask billowing behind him.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MrBling posted:

I mean it's not like Bob Sapp was particularly gifted

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

For anyone who watched or knows: after Ron Simmons won the world title how was his title reign?

https://twitter.com/MonsoonClassic/status/1554407088188784640?t=rthBte_GzVnlPFRqh3melA&s=19

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

For anyone who watched or knows: after Ron Simmons won the world title how was his title reign?

https://twitter.com/MonsoonClassic/status/1554407088188784640?t=rthBte_GzVnlPFRqh3melA&s=19

I have no answer for you but god I love this clip. The dude in the light blue shirt running from the fourth row to the front row and doing a jumping split makes it. The crowd is just so genuinely happy.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Shard posted:

Not particularly good. He held the title for 5 months before dropping it back to Vader and well .. it wasn't a pretty run. He basically went right back to the mid-card, even though he was the champion.

He dropped the title to Vader two days after Starrcade at a house show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shard posted:

It sort of took a back seat. He defended against jobbers and midcard guys, had a match with Cactus Jack that started great until Foley tore a muscle in his back and they had to rush the finish, and failed to main event any of the big shows while he was champ. Oh, and he lost the title on a house show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Not particularly good. He held the title for 5 months before dropping it back to Vader and well .. it wasn't a pretty run. He basically went right back to the mid-card, even though he was the champion.

Yeah. One of his big opponents was... Barbarian who I do love but is not exactly marquee. From what smarter people than I have said basically Watts had the idea that worked in Mid-South where seeing he had a lot of Black fans they'd love a Black champion. And this is true! And a good idea! The problem was the Cowboy is super racist and I think on some level sees every Black wrestler as mostly interchangeable and the time that it worked really well was when it was the Junkyard Dog who was one of the most charismatic wrestlers basically ever. Even in Mid-South he tried to slot in other Black wrestlers in the Dog's role like Butch Reed (who is great, but JYD) and others whom I'm sure people with better memories than I could name and it didn't work then so you'd think he'd learned his lesson but Ron was a legit college football star and big and tough and athletic and was basically catnip to Watts.

Ron winning the title was still a cool moment though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lamuella posted:

It sort of took a back seat. He defended against jobbers and midcard guys, had a match with Cactus Jack that started great until Foley tore a muscle in his back and they had to rush the finish, and failed to main event any of the big shows while he was champ. Oh, and he lost the title on a house show.

I watched very little WCW around this time, but I recall getting to catch both Simmons' win over Vader and his match with Cactus Jack. Like a minute after losing, Jack had to do an interview and he was holding his back and screaming about how he was in a lot of pain before answering the interviewer's question. Considering Jack's deal as a heel was that you couldn't keep him down for long and he basically shrugged off damage, I always thought that this was a really cool way of him putting over Simmons.

Welp, now I know the truth.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In 'Have a Nice Day' Foley called it the most painful injury he had ever experienced.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Simmons winning the title was incredible. The fans already liked him a lot and he slew the monster Vader. It was justice; it was history. But that was about it as far as highlights. I did get to see a really fun house show match between Ron and Rick Rude at the Sportatorium during this period though that was a cherished childhood memory.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I think it was that match where Foley joked backstage about being the new champ before the night was over and Ole Anderson told him "I don't care if the son of a bitch has a heart attack and dies, you will roll him on top of you."

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I remember when they spent a month just building the Barbarian up out of nowhere for that Halloween Havoc match.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I just read that they're doing a remake of Road House starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Who should they cast in the Terry Funk role?

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

Danhausen

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I'm imagining Danhausen in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__L839Mcq7U

I can see it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

I don't see a date of death here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. One of his big opponents was... Barbarian who I do love but is not exactly marquee. From what smarter people than I have said basically Watts had the idea that worked in Mid-South where seeing he had a lot of Black fans they'd love a Black champion. And this is true! And a good idea! The problem was the Cowboy is super racist and I think on some level sees every Black wrestler as mostly interchangeable and the time that it worked really well was when it was the Junkyard Dog who was one of the most charismatic wrestlers basically ever. Even in Mid-South he tried to slot in other Black wrestlers in the Dog's role like Butch Reed (who is great, but JYD) and others whom I'm sure people with better memories than I could name and it didn't work then so you'd think he'd learned his lesson but Ron was a legit college football star and big and tough and athletic and was basically catnip to Watts.

Ron winning the title was still a cool moment though.

The only other notable names other than Foley in his list of opponents are Orndorff and Steve Williams, and Simmons lost to the former by countout and won by DQ over the latter, which speaks volumes. You'd think that the countout loss to Orndorff would lead to a match down the line, but apparently not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sandman McMahon posted:

Mox.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they will be casting baron corbin

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

they will be casting baron corbin

https://deadline.com/2022/08/conor-mcgregor-jake-gyllenhaal-road-house-1235083836/

Swerve (not Strickland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that guy is much smaller than jake. they should have cast baron corbin.