Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been dying to make a scene based on an meme edit I did ages ago but I haven't been able to find a good wall/backdrop for it so far.

Otherwise I just use the white background that comes with my small lightbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd like to make a scene or mini diorama but I don't have the materials I think. I'd end up needing to make a background of scifi or fantasy stuff which I don't yet have either (much less the space to store it)

It looked like a shitpost but I wasn't joking. You don't need to put that much effort into it

Here's s picture and then some behind the scenes on it. We literally just took a coffee table book my friend got in the bargain bin at Barnes And Noble and used it as a background on a lot of stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdT4wihueD8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

To make this scene, all we did was turn over a potted plant on the table (with a garbage bag underneath to make cleanup easier)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've spent a lot of time and thousands of dollars on my photo setup. It's pretty hard to achieve, but I'll post a picture of it anyway.

The secret is that the coke bottle holds the black foamcore board in place

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am kind of angry (mostly amused) that's all you did for those images:golfclap:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The good news is that I'm really happy with how this face turned out.

The bad news is that I thought getting acrylic pens would make banners easier but absolutely not, gently caress banners forever

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Count Thrashula posted:

The good news is that I'm really happy with how this face turned out.

The bad news is that I thought getting acrylic pens would make banners easier but absolutely not, gently caress banners forever

This is still salvageable. Just super thin your paints and keep applying little dabs until it looks the way you want. It's going to be fine in a couple days.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 3, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Everything except the banner looks super fresh. I believe in you.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Frogdog/Froggo(?) - Wet blend something with green

I struggle with blending so here's what I came up with

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 3, 2022

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What do you guys do for cool backgrounds in your photos? I'm talking the textured backgrounds and such

Oil/acrylic paintings propped on a bookend or wall. It sounds hard but just paint something from Bob Ross.

I got my supplies at Five Below/Michaels: a brush for $1, canvases for $2 each, and an oil/acrylic paint set for $5 each.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished up this other one that's been sitting around for ages

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I struggle with blending so here's what I came up with

I like it :). Definitely think the sand/dust/grit ties it together.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finished up this other one that's been sitting around for ages

Hello, Nova! :wave:

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Painted up these 2 dorks yesterday afternoon, forgot how rad squigs are to paint

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Made some progress on the Genestealer Cult Mineral Extraction Guild

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Okay so I may have made a terrible mistake: I have been blissfully using Vallejo matte medium instead of matte varnish, on like the past few hundred minis or so. How much of a problem for protection is this? They're mostly plastic but also some metal, also including sand/glue basing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Matte Medium can be used as a top coat to protect acrylic paintings so there's no issue with using it as a "varnish" for your miniatures. The main difference should be that matte varnish has less matting agents for greater clarity of your paint underneath but otherwise it's physically the same stuff.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Double posting cause I finished up a Chaos Terminator today

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Eej posted:

Double posting cause I finished up a Chaos Terminator today

That cape bit looks so drat good,very vibrant. Awesome piece.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I've been having a lot of fun just wet blending cloth. Not using any retarding medium though so I just gotta do it all in one go before it dries up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I was super productive last night and got 7 models done (!!!) (Granted, like 3 of them were mostly black)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Yeah I've been having a lot of fun just wet blending cloth. Not using any retarding medium though so I just gotta do it all in one go before it dries up.

Nothing makes you paint faster than wet blending. The results are awesome though.

Meanwhile I'm trying to paint the eyes on my Lumineth Lord-Regent and I think I'm going to die of old age before I get them right.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Crossposting with the hope that a painting wizard in this thread would be so kind as to share their advice.

I'd like a second opinion on verdigris on my 40k army. I like the idea, but I wonder if it draws the eye too much with the grunged up colors I'm using. There's an example of the verdigris I'd use on the pauldron of the left model and absent on the right model in the first picture.

The second picture shows off more of the accents I've used across the army, with pink tubes, green and yellow boils and demon flesh, as well as dark purple cloth like the axe handle in the first picture. I wonder if turquoise on top of that would be distracting. I'm going with a martian style desert base, with some pigment powder to be added after varnishing that's absent here, but the colors will end up much like the left model in the first picture.

Overall this scheme is very quick for the results and while it's probably too grimy and weathered (or sloppy, lol) for most, I think it works for the aesthetics of these models and looks good at arms length which is what I need for both my skill level and to finish before my local tournament kicks off.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

This induced the same visceral reaction I get from encountering moldy bread so keep it like this imo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Count Thrashula posted:

I was super productive last night and got 7 models done (!!!) (Granted, like 3 of them were mostly black)

that flag ended up looking pretty good!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

some work in progress on Mournblade from Godtear

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

that first image made me think of Raziel from Legacy of Kain

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just posting some WIPs correctly

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 5, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You posted them all as links to .mp4s so it just looks like you're doing a bit (:haw:)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

It plays on mobile :confused:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I can see them if I go to the URL directly but none of them embed properly.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Still need to get the Horus Heresy transfers, but otherwise my Blood Angels Armor Through the Ages set is done:

Also, the first model I ever painted was a Blood Angel:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Demilich posted:

Just posting some WIPs

An update to the last drill I posted

Another drill

Dark Mechanicum Magos

Vedic inspired Bloodletter

Changed format from MP4 to JPG

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Loden Taylor posted:

Still need to get the Horus Heresy transfers, but otherwise my Blood Angels Armor Through the Ages set is done:

You need to get one of those Space Marine Heroes to give the second last slot a properly scaled representation!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Changed format from MP4 to JPG

The opposite of what I need lol, they're 360° vids.

Anyway here's the direct links. They're too big to use the imgur bbcode.
Drill
https://i.imgur.com/mL41mtC.mp4

Another drill
https://i.imgur.com/nzxSvEF.mp4

Dark Mechanicum Magos
https://i.imgur.com/OJFHV34.mp4

Vedic inspired Bloodletter
https://i.imgur.com/h6d3bHo.mp4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Loden Taylor posted:

The primaris marine just looks like he wants to say "I've already said that if you all act nicely and purge the heretics quietly we can all go the McDonalds on the way home"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm glad I don't have a favorite chapter, I have enough projects already.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
More small squig wips (needs touchups, mushrooms and basing but plenty playable)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Yo, if that guy on the left was the first model you ever painted then holy poo poo :swoon:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

He certainly a one helluva glow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Eej posted:

You need to get one of those Space Marine Heroes to give the second last slot a properly scaled representation!

I didn't know those were coming back. I'm going to have to grab a few when they drop because that sudden jump in size kinda bugs me.

AndyElusive posted:

Yo, if that guy on the left was the first model you ever painted then holy poo poo :swoon:

Yeah, that was back in 2008 or so, whenever it was that we were all priming with black gesso. I painted him and a few others, then didn't pick up the hobby again until 2019.