Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I miss my local drive in and the summer night 2 movie showings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, drive-ins were never really going to survive the advent of movie streaming. All the benefits of a drive-in are even bigger at home. Once you can watch the movies there why spend the money to go somewhere less comfortable?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Saturday, September 10, 10 a.m. PT is announced as the date for the D23 presentations.

So far, no real major leaks. The only "confirmed" stuff seems to be:

- There will be at least one D+ series announced.
- There will be at least 1 MCU film announced.
- The confirmed "surprise guests" for casting announcements are likely to be related to Fantastic Four, Blade, and the new Avengers movies.
- Still no director signed on for Fantastic Four, so there likely won't be any director announcement there.

The expected/possible stuff so far based on leaks, rumors, and public statements are:

- They will fill in the 8 missing slots for Phase 6.
- Zazie Beetz will return as Domino for Deadpool 3.
- Mike Colter will likely return as Luke Cage and be soft rebooted into the MCU the same way Daredevil will be.

Some other rumors and casting stuff are floating around, but no solid proof behind any of them. Most of it seems to be pretty much under wraps.

https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/1554512373238489088

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 2, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
taking this with a huge grain of salt (if anything, what's in flux is more likely how it's released, since the originally planned HBO Max release no longer fits with Zaslav's reported stances on what belongs in theaters vs. HBO Max), but I suppose it's not impossible? seems hard to believe that a $70m movie based on a reasonably high-profile WB IP would be consigned to WB's vaults forever, or that the movie is really that bad

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1554547924511719425

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it were actually called The Irredeemable Batgirl then I'd be interested.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If they’re already reshooting Aquaman 2 with Affleck as Batman instead of Keaton, maybe shelving Batgirl means the Flash movie will finally be canned? I thought Keaton’s Batman was supposed to be a big part of the Batgirl movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
wtf, how bad can it really be? Just release it and let folks make their own minds up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I legitimately don't know what it costs to put a movie on your own streaming service, but in no way do I believe that it makes more sense to simply not release it.

Unless it's Flash, in which case, Ezra Miller can gently caress right off and let's not put out any movies with them in it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Wrap is now corroborating the NY Post report. Still going to wait for further corroboration from THR/Variety/Deadline before I really believe it, as this would be all but unprecedented in the current era of big studio releases

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1554563596440539137?t=yjcBzEDXeuGSumf_uNwAVw&s=19

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s insane

Why wouldn’t you try and at least give it a theatrical release? Is it really that awful?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I find this really odd. It implies that the film is sooo bad that WB have weighed the costs and reckoned that just flushing the 70 mil or whatever production budget down the drain is preferable to actually releasing it. That they consider the damage it would do to the "brand" that severe that it's worth the loss.

This makes me really want to see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The DCEU makes me feel like the Dark Universe deserves another shot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is like a reverse snyder cut where you want to see the epically poo poo version

like, this musta been really fuckin bad

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If it really does get completely buried, I feel bad for Leslie Grace and pretty much everyone involved

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm incredibly curious about this trainwreck now, yeah

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

THR, Variety, and Deadline are reporting it now, so it's really (not) happening. Absolutely bizarre, but at least the follow-up reporting detailing the decision is going to be interesting.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1554572717248200706
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1554574203915051008
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1554573993876697088

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I NEED to see this terrible movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised they're going so far as to scrap it instead of doing reshoots. They must really hate it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised they're going so far as to scrap it instead of doing reshoots. They must really hate it.

On some level I don't really trust suits to know when something's unsalvageable, but at the same time, that just means this must be so thoroughly tainted that even they knew.

Someone please leak this movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven’t read any of the articles on my phone but do any of them say it’s because the movie sucked? Between the general production train wreck of the DCEU and the WB/Discovery stuff things just seem like a mess over there right now. Like could it be because Batgirl relies heavily on Flash and Miller sent that into limbo making Batgirl collateral damage?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

I haven’t read any of the articles on my phone but do any of them say it’s because the movie sucked? Between the general production train wreck of the DCEU and the WB/Discovery stuff things just seem like a mess over there right now. Like could it be because Batgirl relies heavily on Flash and Miller sent that into limbo making Batgirl collateral damage?

It says that the movie was considered so bad that they would rather just lose the $100 million than release it because they think the Batman/Superman/DCEU brand is bad right now that releasing it could potentially taint hundreds of millions of dollars in future Batman/Superman/DCEU releases.

Edit:

Although, here is another article that has an official comment that denies it was because of quality issues:

quote:

"Studio insiders insist the decision was not driven by the quality of the film or the commitment of the filmmakers, but by the desire for the studio’s slate of DC features to be at a blockbuster scale. “Batgirl” was budgeted to screen in homes on HBO MAX, and not for a major global release in theaters. The budget for the project, which finished principle photography earlier this year and was in post-production, reached $90 million due in part to COVID-related delays and protocols."

Which doesn't make any sense at all. Apparently, $90 million is an "indie movie" and nobody realized that they "only" budgeted $90 million for it until now.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-not-released-warner-bros-hbo-max-1235331897/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 2, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1554576372173094917

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bizarre. If I was conspiracy minded I would think they're planning to pull the plug on the whole DCEU and actively start again with The Batman as the new starting point. Almost every part of the DCEU is touched by controversy. You've got the Miller situation, Aquaman 2 being pulled into the Depp/Heard case, the JL dramas. WW84 being poorly received. I can see the new CEO looking at that and thinking it's time to make a clean break and go from step 1.

I'm probably wrong though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it cannot possibly be overstated how loving insane this move is.

there is no world where the money they save by doing this even touches how much they could make by releasing it

Karloff posted:

Bizarre. If I was conspiracy minded I would think they're planning to pull the plug on the whole DCEU and actively start again with The Batman as the new starting point. Almost every part of the DCEU is touched by controversy. You've got the Miller situation, Aquaman 2 being pulled into the Depp/Heard case, the JL dramas. WW84 being poorly received. I can see the new CEO looking at that and thinking it's time to make a clean break and go from step 1.

I'm probably wrong though.

The new CEO thinks the only content that should be on HBO Max is trashy reality shows and there's no room for movies that aren't big budget blockbusters. You're giving the thought process way, way too much credit here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blockhouse posted:

there is no world where the money they save by doing this even touches how much they could make by releasing it

According to Variety, they still are thinking about sending The Flash movie to join Batgirl in the vault.

quote:

The decision still comes as a shock, as studios almost never shelve productions outright, preferring to get at least some return on their investment. It also comes as Warner Bros. is still contending with what to do with “The Flash,” a DC adaptation created — and budgeted — specifically for theatrical release in 2023 that has been utterly hamstrung by repeated allegations of abuse and misconduct by its star, Ezra Miller.

And it’s also not like “Batgirl” was a small movie, either. Along with Grace, J.K. Simmons plays Barbara’s father, Commissioner Jim Gordon, and Michael Keaton reprises his role as Batman (as he also does in “The Flash”). Brendan Fraser plays the villain, Firefly, and Grace told Variety in April that she had preliminary discussions with El Arbi and Fallah about what a sequel “could be.”

The only thing saving it is that they already sunk $200 million into it and really don't want to just light 1/3 of a billion dollars on fire all at once.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is definitely being heavily influenced by the recent change in management from AT&T to Discovery, yeah. Seems plausible that they're just going to scrap the DCEU.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batgirl was actually something I was looking forward to. And the directors were on Ms. Marvel which was universally loved, so I can't really imagine it's a terrible movie.

I think it's pretty clear nobody at WB has any clue what to do with the DC films. And shelving this without any real explanation is so weird.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

The new CEO thinks the only content that should be on HBO Max is trashy reality shows and there's no room for movies that aren't big budget blockbusters. You're giving the thought process way, way too much credit here.

wait what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soonmot posted:

wait what?

WB recently changed hands from AT&T to Discovery. Discovery is running it into the loving ground trying to offload costs because of all the debt they took on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Discovery guy basically bought a big time media company and is mad that you have to pay people a decent wage to make content... so is cancelling all the content. Or anything that's union, basically.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Soonmot posted:

wait what?

Here's a few stories from back in April. After the merger, the new company was billions of dollars in debt. The new CEO promised to find $3 billion in cost savings following the merger. He cancelled all existing scripted content across most of WB's networks and cut most new scripted content in development for HBOMax.

The New Warner/Discovery company is so heavily leveraged that they are cancelling basically everything and praying that a new vertically integrated DCCU with merch and video game tie-ins puts the company back on their feet.

They cancelled most new HBOMax series to direct resources to the new DC HBOMax tie-ins and they cancelled ALL scripted TV programs at TBS and TNT.

They also killed CNN+ after it was on-air for less than a week (to be fair, I have no idea what the business plan was for CNN+ or who would pay for a streaming service with mostly pre-recorded news segments).

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1519044895817707520

quote:

TNT and TBS are pausing their scripted game under new parent company Warner Bros. Discovery, which CEO David Zaslav has promised will find $3 billion in cost savings across the new company in the post-merger era, Variety has learned exclusively.

quote:

The WarnerMedia-run cable channels is no longer developing new scripted content, three sources close to the matter tell Variety. According to one insider, Warner Bros. Discovery leadership is currently evaluating the strategy for all of the so-called “TNets” — including truTV, which are run by Brett Weitz — and will have a better idea of the role each will play within the new regime moving forward.

quote:

During Discovery’s Q1 investor call on Tuesday, CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said WarnerMedia assets profit projection for 2022 is $500 million lower than Discovery expected, and Discovery’s better-than-expected results help offset that for WBD.

“2022 will undoubtedly be a messy year,” he said, and Warner Bros. Discovery is looking to “rectify some of the drivers behind the business-case deviations” across the company. Wiedenfels called Warner Bros. Discovery’s very recent decision to shut down the newly launched CNN+ “exhibit A” of that strategy. It’s clear now that TNT and TBS’ scripted is part of that too.

The new CEO also said they going all in on IPs that they already owned and creating a vertically integrated company to produce video games and other tie-ins for those IP simultaneously.

quote:

Zaslav has pledged to find $3 billion in synergies in the newly merged company, a signal of how important cost cutting will be to Warners’ new owners. Mining DC’s library of characters could help control spending as Warner Bros. Discovery owns the underlying intellectual property, insiders say.

quote:

David Zaslav, the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, believes Superman is being wasted by not being a larger part of DC's future film slate.

quote:

Zaslav has been toying with the idea of overhauling DC Entertainment following the $43 billion merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia. according to reports from Variety. He believes that "several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized."

quote:

Superman has not received a new solo film since 2013's Man of Steel, in which he was played by Henry Cavill. There have been talks of a sequel since the first film's release, but nothing has materialized or made it past initial discussions.

quote:

Cavill has not appeared as Superman since the theatrical and Snyder cuts of Justice League. Stand-in actors were used for Superman's brief cameos in 2019's Shazam! and the season 1 finale of Peacemaker.

The actor has remained open to reprising the role in future films set within the DC Extended Universe. During his promotional tour for The Witcher Season 2, Cavill revealed that he is simply waiting on DC to make the first move. "I do still have the outfit. Just in case," Cavill said. "Ready and waiting for the phone calls."

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-discovery-ceo-believes-superman-wasted-dc/

quote:

The new owners of all things Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are exploring an overhaul of DC Entertainment, multiple sources close to the situation told Variety.

quote:

It’s been less than a week since Discovery closed its $43 billion deal for WarnerMedia, joining one of the largest producers of reality programming with one of the most venerable entertainment brands under the new moniker of Warner Bros. Discovery. David Zaslav, the CEO of the combined companies, and top leadership have been toying with the idea of turning DC into its own solidified content vertical, the sources said.

The move would potentially affect DC feature film development in the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, streaming series at Warner Bros. Television, and the creative arm within DC proper — all in an effort to have the disparate elements more closely aligned in order to maximize the value of the superhero stable — one often seen as punching up against Marvel.

quote:

Before the merger closed, Zaslav vetted candidates with experience in creating and nurturing blockbuster intellectual property with a goal of potentially finding someone to serve as a creative and strategic czar similar to what Marvel has in Kevin Feige. One of those candidates included Emma Watts, a former top film executive at 20th Century Studios and Paramount, but it does not appear that Watts will take the job. One insider suggested that Zaslav was less interested in finding a creative guru and more eager to hire someone who had the type of business background needed to keep all the different factions at DC working more harmoniously.

Insiders say that Zaslav believes that the success of the merger, one that has left the company highly leveraged, will rest in no small part on unlocking the full potential of the DC Comics universe of characters. Discovery insiders believe that although DC has achieved cinematic success with recent films such as “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” it lacks a coherent creative and brand strategy. Discovery believes that several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized. They also believe that projects like Todd Phillips’ “Joker” are a shining example of how second-billed characters from the DC library can and should be exploited (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is another example).

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/dc-warner-bros-discovery-zaslav-hbo-max-1235232185/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The more I think about this the more I think that the "irredeemable" label was slapped on this movie to deflect from the cancellation news, which was going to happen anyway.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Basically if they were willing to kill a movie they already spent $90 million on I would not expect anything scripted that was announced for HBO Max in the past to ever come out again

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They should just sell it to Sony

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arist posted:

The more I think about this the more I think that the "irredeemable" label was slapped on this movie to deflect from the cancellation news, which was going to happen anyway.

But as noted, it's still baffling because like... how do you justify this under cost-cutting when it was in post? Cancelling a movie that was in pre-production, sure, but a finished product?

Also, kiss that Blue Beetle movie goodbye

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaz-L posted:

Also, kiss that Blue Beetle movie goodbye

Was about to say this, yeah, RIP Blue Beetle

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also the chance of good old-fashioned racism/sexism being a factor. Hell, if it wouldn't have caused worse optics, I'd put money on them blaming the movie being 'unmarketable'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think “HBO is gonna abandon all movies and tv shows and just be reality shows” is really a rational theory and as best as I can tell the only thing justifying it is some cancelations.

It definitely seems possible the overhaul at top might be affecting this. But the DCEU is such a mess it feels like there could be a lot of reasons.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

according to most of the rumors/leaks, The Flash was supposed to reestablish a new, cohesive timeline for the DCEU, with (spoilers that seem increasingly unlikely to remain true, even if The Flash is released, follow) Keaton Batman replacing Affleck Batman, Sasha Calle's Supergirl replacing Cavill's Superman, and Shazam and Batgirl on the Justice League. This is also why Affleck has been doing reshoots for Aquaman 2, since Keaton was originally supposed to appear as Bruce Wayne, but the continuity no longer works with Aquaman 2 releasing before Flash.

anyway, who the hell knows what's going on there anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t think “HBO is gonna abandon all movies and tv shows and just be reality shows” is really a rational theory and as best as I can tell the only thing justifying it is some cancelations.

It wasn't just some cancellations. They cancelled ALL scripted content on TNT and TBS and most new scripted content in development for HBOMax. The stated reason given by the CEO was that scripted shows were too expensive.