Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Brennan was on one of my favorite youtube channels to make Starstruck's double death commando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fbMe-ai8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The first round of miniature auctions is done and the cheapest mini is "candy villager 4" which went for a bargain $602. Just mind-boggling.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Next round, some jokester is going to drop an obscene amount on Limon. He might end up going for more than Theobold

edit: Holy gently caress, there must have been a bidding war on Keradin at the last minute. He ended at $7k

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 23, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The first round of miniature auctions is done and the cheapest mini is "candy villager 4" which went for a bargain $602. Just mind-boggling.

I cannot fathom spending that much on a figure of any kind, but then, I don't play any tabletop games despite watching lots of live plays and am not into figure/merch collecting at all, since the few I bought when I was younger all just sat around gathering dust and I barely even looked at them, so it seemed kind of pointless. That said, if even the cheapest was $600, then they've probably funded at least one season of another show off that one auction alone; which is good news all around given that while they were making a profit off Dropout for a while, it didn't sound like they were making major cash or anything. So this is just one more revenue stream they can use to fund future projects and maybe rehire some of the people they were forced to let go due to the selling of College Humor a while back.

I know they sold off some of the Um...Actually set dressing at another point too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing more auctions of various kinds in future. Game Changer is the only other show I can think of that might have some props they could sell off, and even they would be one off things used in various shows (the mouth they fed stuff into, the "lie detector" etc), but maybe Brennan will start featuring props in his CEO sketches or they'll start using some in Breaking News or something too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 23, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"next lot: the dildo from True Facts About Grant Anthony O’Brien"

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It is incredibly funny to me that CH has been running dropout for what, four, five years and they sell the year subscription for like 50 bucks, yet there are fans out there that will happily spend 7k on a figure that was maybe touched a few times by the d20 crew

And yet I am jealous. I mean, I wouldn't pay that, but, somehow... I get it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given how successful this has been I wouldn't be surprised if from now on every season is followed by an auction for that season shortly thereafter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

Given how successful this has been I wouldn't be surprised if from now on every season is followed by an auction for that season shortly thereafter.

I hope they do honestly. If I remember right Umm Actualy's auction did well too, seems like this is a good method to raise some money for good causes and keeping the lights on while keeping the sub cost reasonable.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Goons Are Great posted:

It is incredibly funny to me that CH has been running dropout for what, four, five years and they sell the year subscription for like 50 bucks, yet there are fans out there that will happily spend 7k on a figure that was maybe touched a few times by the d20 crew

And yet I am jealous. I mean, I wouldn't pay that, but, somehow... I get it
If you happen to to have that much capital and are chipping away at knocking yourself into a lower tax bracket, they're great. That's like 80% of the reason those industries exist

The minis were always going to go for four plus figures

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The original Fantasy High figurines will sell for around the yearly GDP of Wyoming.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm still amazed that Sam hasn't raised the subscription price by even a buck. There is so much good stuff to watch on that channel.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Froghammer posted:

If you happen to to have that much capital and are chipping away at knocking yourself into a lower tax bracket, they're great. That's like 80% of the reason those industries exist

The minis were always going to go for four plus figures

How does buying a mini help get you into a lower tax bracket?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Honest question: Are there contexts where graduated tax calculations aren’t used and thus barely dropping into a particular bracket actually matters?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Magitek posted:

Honest question: Are there contexts where graduated tax calculations aren’t used and thus barely dropping into a particular bracket actually matters?

Depending on jurisdiction, there are certain welfare programs that have a cutoff kind of like that, but I don’t think there’s anything along those lines that would be remotely relevant for the kind of person who would blow several thousand dollars on trinkets.

Also, you can’t reduce your tax liability by purchasing products for yourself

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Grant explained that one at some point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVuBqTQTqRQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grant's tips series is pretty gold. Love grant tisching all over '5 tips on cooking for one' to cap it off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The rant in the tips section in the middle is pretty fun. I'm real glad I live in a place other than the US where tax is just factored into the price of anything you're buying on the tag and the government automatically charges it rather than having to work it out myself because tax season sounds like an unimaginable pain in the rear end.

MikeJF posted:

Grant's tips series is pretty gold. Love grant tisching all over '5 tips on cooking for one' to cap it off.

What did they explain "tisching" means again? I'm sure Rekha explained it in one of the D&D after shows or something, but I can't recall what it means off hand.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Both Grant and Rekha attended The New York University Tisch School of the Arts. It's generally used to point out that some serious acting (usually, overacting) is going on; https://www.dropout.tv/videos/whodunnit is a fine example of the genre.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Xand_Man posted:

How does buying a mini help get you into a lower tax bracket?
Some % of the end process going to a non-profit makes it a charitable donation

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Froghammer posted:

Some % of the end process going to a non-profit makes it a charitable donation

Unless that's :thejoke: please tell me you don't do your own taxes

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 24, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been rewatching Crown of Candy while I wait for the new D20 and man would I love a new campaign for this. The group really hits the whole 'this is game of thrones poo poo, but it's also inherently silly because you're candy people fighting steaks'.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still amazed that Sam hasn't raised the subscription price by even a buck. There is so much good stuff to watch on that channel.

They did about 6 months back I think? It went up a buck or two a month, but you could get grandfathered in if you already were paying the lower price. I think they started pushing the yearly subscriptions about then too. Still worth it though.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The new um actually is about reality shows and really good.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

DeathSandwich posted:

If anyone wants to see more Brennan as a player, Aabria did a pseudo sequel of her Strixhaven one shot featuring the good Citizen Doctor again.

https://youtu.be/eDi0TZidQ4c

I got around to watching this and it's completely unhinged

Mica Burton @ the end of the show, face-down into the table: "We're all fired, aren't we? This is what fired feels like."

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2022

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Xand_Man posted:

I got around to watching this and it's completely unhinged

Mica Burton @ the end of the show, face-down into the table: "We're all fired, aren't we? This is what fired feels like."

people throw around the word "unhinged" a lot these days but the two Roll20 games that Aabria has run so far have really done it justice.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

There's a very specific TTRPG energy that occurs when the session's running long and yall are tired and a bit loopy and the GM just starts saying 'gently caress it, sure' to things they probably shouldn't and the next day yall are like :stare: what the gently caress did we do last night

Like the nerd equivalent of waking up from a bender. I don't think I've ever seen an AP capture it so well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Max Peck posted:

Both Grant and Rekha attended The New York University Tisch School of the Arts. It's generally used to point out that some serious acting (usually, overacting) is going on; https://www.dropout.tv/videos/whodunnit is a fine example of the genre.

I appreciated that they did end up running this one back sorta, but in the opposite vein the one with Jess and the crew getting to throw her and Kait a pseudo-wedding

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1554882287115726848?s=20&t=C0OEMQinDDWY889KR6hfEQ

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao lou immediately doing a pratfall

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

eke out posted:

lmao lou immediately doing a pratfall

I love Lou a little more every time he appears on a screen

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I had been meaning to check out D20 for a while now, and I'm so IN for the Court of Fey and Flowers.

5E? Meh.

Plus Good Society??? :allears:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Brennan is playing a 6/1/1 Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue? I assume there must be some fun mechanical reason for that.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Expertise, backstab and rage are all pretty handy.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Somberbrero posted:

Brennan is playing a 6/1/1 Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue? I assume there must be some fun mechanical reason for that.

Fighter plus the two best 1 level dips for damage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Magitek posted:

I love Lou a little more every time he appears on a screen

"Oscar you're not supposed to be earnest, you're supposed to do a weird bit where you hurt yourself!"

This group dynamic is so perfect, honestly, she genuinely runs down why they're a good group there and in episode 1 it's super clear she was 100% right.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lou and Emily's characters are very very very good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

they make such an incredible entrance. you can tell they're going to be an absolute mess this campaign

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The new um actually is about reality shows and really good.

Yeah, this was probably one of the funniest epsiodes of the show ever. The reality TV energy of the contestants was STRONG.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's a social-focused game, Emily can't power-game the GM into submission this time

*Metamagic subtle-spell Gift of Gab*

oh there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The disclaimer on the new Make Some Noise is so accurate Gilbert would have approved wholeheartedly