Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ll certainly grab ROTLD when it gets close. How are the sequels? I’ve never seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Righting Wrongs is amazing. Kind of a bummer it's not a 4k UHD, but I'm into it regardless.

Required viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUp8Yi3zH4

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ll certainly grab ROTLD when it gets close. How are the sequels? I’ve never seen them.

3 is great, the tone is a little different but it’s a Brian Yuzna film and gets pretty bonkers. I still haven’t seen 2 but I get the impression it’s not terrible but kinda forgettable

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Casimir Radon posted:

2 is more slapsticky and humorous than 1 is, but the performers arent as good or at least dont look as cool as the punk/new wave kids, but they do bring back Jame Karen and Thom Matthews as a binding comedic duo to the movie that overall works if it isnt just a bit lesser because ROTLD 1 is so drat good. 3 has its defenders and I am one of them. It's way more of a 90's low budget "well people liked the first 2, but the fervor isnt really there anymore for the property so lets slap something together". It goes a bit darker in the way 1 was, but its still got some good comedy (lightly racist at times as well though with the robber subplot iirc) and the leads are fine. Melinda Clarke imo is a mid-tier icon for her whole look as the movie goes along and discovers inflicting pain on herself helps with the pain of death, but that may get a bit morally grey with some folks taste.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Current total of spooky UHDs that I want for the season is at 16. No other year has been overwhelming like this, I really don't know where to start making cuts. I thought we were done but then oh hey throw Return of the Living Dead and two more Halloweens on the pile!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Current total of spooky UHDs that I want for the season is at 16. No other year has been overwhelming like this, I really don't know where to start making cuts. I thought we were done but then oh hey throw Return of the Living Dead and two more Halloweens on the pile!

lol I went ahead and made an excel spreadsheet so I know whats what (if I keep the tables small and cant read everything immediately in the box it wont look like too much, right?).

thought about cutting Event Horizon or at least jumping down to the standard box since I dont NEED the steelbook.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm probably gonna pass on the Halloween UHDs just because I don't particularly like any of those movies anyway, it's just tempting because it would make my Halloween collection 100% complete.

After that I dunno. The rational side of me says to cut I Know What You Did Last Summer but......nah.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Pre-ordered Videodrome 4k LE and picked up Thief and To Live and Die in LA while I was at it.

Still on the hunt for Crash 4k LE from Arrow. Then and only then will I know peace.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Videodrome…4K……..

Where?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

Videodrome…4K……..

Where?

Arrow uk

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm holding out for Criterion to do it over here, but it's tempting. I don't need the bits of cardboard in the LE and it'll probably be the same transfer

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ah ok.. hmm ill have to think on it.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Videodrome 4k original artwork (Arrow / Zavvi Exclusive)
https://www.arrowfilms.com/4k/videodrome-original-artwork-4k-ultra-hd-limited-edition/13927973.html

They're also putting out a version with the updated Arrow artwork which is available at all the usual US distributors.

Honestly the Criterion release is terrific quality and great packaging and can be had for ~$20. Not sure how much more impressive a 4k could be, but since I don't have either I figure why not spend a bit more on the latest and greatest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It has looked pretty terrific in every format, and I've seen it on the big screen so I imagine they'll use whatever they have for reissues.

EDIT: Ooooh this has the scenes from the TV edit, cool!

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

PinkoBastard posted:

Just saw this on Facebook. I’m on the fence because I’m not super keen on any of these films (6 has moments) but I’m sure tons of people are gonna be pumped:

Aren't they probably going to release a 4k everything box set after Halloween Ends?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Aren't they probably going to release a 4k everything box set after Halloween Ends?

Uhh yeah pretty much definitely lol

edit: I think it’s a good thing to have all these different choices though. I don’t have much interest in the later films but bought the first 5, ya boy Gripweed can get 6 to 8, completists can grab the whole thing later if they want to, you know?

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 1, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I think it’s still on the site. I just want it eventually lol

Record collecting is a bunch of dumb jerkoffs scalping everything now so if you wait to long you're going to be looking at pretty high prices.

FOMO, mother fuckers!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

On the product page they finally shed some light...in the comments section.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/army-of-darkness-limited-edition-steelbook-1?product_id=7886

Not making this more known on the pre-order info page is not the coolest of moves, for sure.

Hmm. That does indeed suck, but considering I do not yet have a 4k player and that, realistically, how often does anyone actually watch the other cuts, I'm not gonna be too fussed about it. Do wish it was simply two discs, each with all four cuts, one Blu and one UHD. Thanks for finding, sharing this info!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Yo, that Halloween 6-8 4K set is currently $107. Just lolol at paying that amount of money for one decent movie (Curse) and two sacks of poo poo.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

ultraviolence123 posted:

Yo, that Halloween 6-8 4K set is currently $107. Just lolol at paying that amount of money for one decent movie (Curse) and two sacks of poo poo.

H20 is pretty decent.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Why would you want any of the Halloweens besides the original, III, maybe II and the reboots? Or at least just the first reboot?

I bought the F13 box set because that series is at least 90% watchable. Halloween is like 30% watchable.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Thatoaklandkid posted:

Pre-ordered Videodrome 4k LE and picked up Thief and To Live and Die in LA while I was at it.

Still on the hunt for Crash 4k LE from Arrow. Then and only then will I know peace.

Kino owes us a To Live and Die in LA UHD!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28974

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
‘78
II
III: SEASON OF THE WITCH

The rest are all bad, don’t @ me

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Preordered the RotLD UHD, can't wait to get the original cover back like the old DVD. Remember how that glowed in the dark?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boinks posted:

Preordered the RotLD UHD, can't wait to get the original cover back like the old DVD. Remember how that glowed in the dark?

Still have it on my shelf :smug:

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

King Vidiot posted:

Why would you want any of the Halloweens besides the original, III, maybe II and the reboots? Or at least just the first reboot?

I bought the F13 box set because that series is at least 90% watchable. Halloween is like 30% watchable.

Well, RZ's Halloween II > RZ Halloween, and part 6 was the first horror movie I saw in a theater.

Halloween 4 does a good job evoking autumn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdXdQ-SR6BE

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Kino owes us a To Live and Die in LA UHD!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28974

So supposedly this is coming before the end of 2022 but I think friedkin is finicky about approving new transfers / might try to apply a dramatically different vision for the color grading etc. But if it’s solid release it’s a must buy for me - gorgeous movie.

I love my Arrow copy of 52 Pickup, so for $10 the TLADILA blu will make for a perfect LA sleaze double feature.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Righting Wrongs is great, I think Yes Madam is even better… Corey yuen is ftw

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would buy Yes Madam in a heartbeat. Don’t even need to check the budget.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

dorium posted:

I would buy Yes Madam in a heartbeat. Don’t even need to check the budget.

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1554467227885248515

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1554474613320687618
https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1554470833455878144

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey is that legend of boggy creek 4k up for preorder somewhere?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey is that legend of boggy creek 4k up for preorder somewhere?

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1534627854356463624?s=20&t=Z_Zk3ylG3WRMCPT73G5rWQ

this was the last bit of info iirc. havent seen any pre-order info anywhere.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did Best Buy have a preorder for the Heat steelbook open at one point? They’re site design doesn’t make it very clear when something is sold out, or just not available to buy yet.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Did Best Buy have a preorder for the Heat steelbook open at one point? They’re site design doesn’t make it very clear when something is sold out, or just not available to buy yet.

It did. Just got an email about it this morning too to confirm my pre order info.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/heat-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-1995/6469388.p?skuId=6469388

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doomisland posted:

It did. Just got an email about it this morning too to confirm my pre order info.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/heat-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-1995/6469388.p?skuId=6469388
Ok. They might get more. I tend to miss things when I get busy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Casimir Radon posted:

Ok. They might get more. I tend to miss things when I get busy.

My experience has been they release some more on BBY.com the day of release, and your local BBY could have one. But it sounds like the latter is less likely as they shrink the sections.

I need to watch Miami Heat and Whitehat. I’ve heard that while they’re not peak Mann, they’re still very good and fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Blackhat is super loving cool, but the theatrical cut isnt the peak form. Mann has a directors cut that's screened in theaters and on television before that is the real one to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Physical media is basically dead, then, isn’t it? If it doesn’t exist at retail, what other than boutique labels can exist? Just amazon?

Went to Best Buy the other day, and was shocked at how small it was. A hundred movies maybe? two shelves, mostly bare. Made me want to go online and instantly buy as much 4k content as I could.