Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t think “HBO is gonna abandon all movies and tv shows and just be reality shows” is really a rational theory and as best as I can tell the only thing justifying it is some cancelations.

It definitely seems possible the overhaul at top might be affecting this. But the DCEU is such a mess it feels like there could be a lot of reasons.

Not HBO. HBO Max. HBO will be nothing but Game Of Thrones spin-offs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

STAC Goat posted:

I haven’t read any of the articles on my phone but do any of them say it’s because the movie sucked? Between the general production train wreck of the DCEU and the WB/Discovery stuff things just seem like a mess over there right now. Like could it be because Batgirl relies heavily on Flash and Miller sent that into limbo making Batgirl collateral damage?

NY Post is the only outlet saying outright that the movie is bad, and I'd take that with a grain of salt. The Wrap says that the movie "didn't work," but that seems in context to be more in relation to Zaslav mandating that DC films should be big $200 million tentpoles than to the film's quality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It wasn't just some cancellations. They cancelled ALL scripted content on TNT and TBS and most new scripted content in development for HBOMax. The stated reason given by the CEO was that scripted shows were too expensive.

And no, don't ask why they bought a company mainly known for scripted content, shut up that's why

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My new operating theory is that DC is literally cursed. With actual magic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

Was about to say this, yeah, RIP Blue Beetle

Blue Beetle already got upgraded to a theatrical release, which could mean that WB execs see it as more of a blockbuster tentpole than Batgirl. But if they're willing to scrap a completed $90 million superhero film, I definitely can't rule out Blue Beetle meeting the same fate.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Other folks probably know more than I, but it sounds like they were planning on the Flash to have some kind of reboot or multiverse impact with Keaton as Batman, and Keaton was supposed to be in Batgirl. So if this came out, the question would be "Who's Batman?" Pattinson? Keaton? Affleck? Shazam and other stuff can skip over those questions. Plus, WB was recently bought, and those owners probably want to start off with good stuff and blame failures on the past

The Batgirl movie is probably ok and a fine waste of time, but it seems to have no proponents in DC HQ, and they'd rather scrap it and look like idiots once, instead of being laughed at every time someone watches another mediocre DC movie

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Word on twitter (so take with more than a pinch of salt) from people who know people who have seen it ranges between that it was "dissapointing" and looked "cheap", to that it was "OK" and "far from a disaster".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Given that it was already shot and in post, and that if it was completely finished there'd be no downside in dumping it on HBO Max, the most likely scenario is that everything was done but the effects work, the budget for that came in at like $30-50 million, and Zaslav -- who didn't green-light the project and doesn't give a gently caress about it -- would rather flush $90 million he didn't personally authorize spending down the toilet than spend another dollar of his own money on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Michael Keaton must be cursed

He agrees to come back as Batman after like 30 years and somehow both of his film appearances appear to be destined to go in the vault

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fwiw
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1554580720076566529
https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/1554583322805735425

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

He agrees to come back as Batman after like 30 years and somehow both of his film appearances appear to be destined to go in the vault

Even though they are still thinking about shelving it, I can't believe that they would light almost a quarter of a billion dollars on fire right after lighting $100 million on fire a few months earlier when the company is massively overleveraged. It makes no financial sense at all to light over 1/3 of a billion dollars on fire in a year after a merger that left the company hugely in debt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I want to see it now

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Another angle on this: Why would anyone want to work on a DC project if they have another option?

People negotiating with DC get the chance to have their work insulted and never seen, and that's ignoring the harassment shitshows in previous movies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ms. Marvel and Bad Boys For Life are enjoyable enough to make WB's claims that it's unreleasable sound like bull poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know people who've seen it, and while some have had positive things to say they're also the ones I don't think I've heard dislike any movie, ever.

Mostly I've heard it's real bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Quality doesn't really matter in this decision. Even if it was bad you put it out and still get something out of it. That's the decision you make if you're a normal media company not run by the guy who turned a suite of educational channels into a mélange of unscripted garbo TV

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Quality doesn't really matter in this decision. Even if it was bad you put it out and still get something out of it. That's the decision you make if you're a normal media company not run by the guy who turned a suite of educational channels into a mélange of unscripted garbo TV

Wildly more successful garbo TV though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Gray Man was hot garbage and Netflix's turning it into a franchise.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Sony released Morbius TWICE

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

They are hoping to make money from it, though. They didn't fund it, film it, complete it, and then throw it away.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

he's still got Morbius

YOU ALL STILL HAVE MORBIUS

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sony released Morbius TWICE

:hai:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I feel bad for Brendan Fraser. He's still got that Aronofsky movie but this was going to be part of the Frasessance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if this is true then Batgirl is just the opening move

https://twitter.com/gracerandolph/status/1554556706839052289

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They can’t possibly be folding HBOMax into a discovery+.

I mean…

That’s not believable. Right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

...what the gently caress did they even buy it for? It's like buying a vintage car and not even stripping it for parts, but just melting down the metal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Big loving pre-emptive lol if that is even half true

Disney does not actually have a patent on the concept of spending money on stuff people want to watch, other entertainment companies. You're allowed to do that too!

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even though they are still thinking about shelving it, I can't believe that they would light almost a quarter of a billion dollars on fire right after lighting $100 million on fire a few months earlier when the company is massively overleveraged. It makes no financial sense at all to light over 1/3 of a billion dollars on fire in a year after a merger that left the company hugely in debt.

I'm sure there's some sort of insurance payout or tax write off or some other form of creative Hollywood accounting that makes this not that bad of a loss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Well I guess I can go ahead and cancel that service soon

This is incredibly stupid from a business perspective because Discovery Plus is really a whole bunch of nothing, and HBO Max got a bunch of subscribers during the pandemic when WB put like half of their theatrical releases on the service in 2020.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, yes, bubble and all but who the gently caress actually even HAS Discovery+ at the moment?

Like, would it just be a way to pad 'their' service's numbers by making all the HBO Max subs count for them as 'growth'?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Am I going to need a North Korean sponsored hacker group to hack WB-Discovery in order to see a dang Batgirl movie?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well I guess I can go ahead and cancel that service soon

This is incredibly stupid from a business perspective because Discovery Plus is really a whole bunch of nothing, and HBO Max got a bunch of subscribers during the pandemic when WB put like half of their theatrical releases on the service in 2020.

HBOMax is being folded into Discovery+. So, you'd get all the HBOMax stuff + Discovery+ stuff for one subscription.

The original HBOMax exclusive content is getting axed, but they could do that without merging.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...what the gently caress did they even buy it for? It's like buying a vintage car and not even stripping it for parts, but just melting down the metal.

I think it was a merger, not a purchase? I don't know what difference that really makes.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I pay actual money for HBO+ and I don't have a loving clue what's even on Discovery. So I suppose I'll be saving 15 bucks a month, good job big brain executives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

I think it was a merger, not a purchase? I don't know what difference that really makes.

Yeah, it was a merger.

AT&T spun off their entertainment division and it merged with Discovery to form a new company. AT&T got paid out and is focusing only on telecom stuff now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, yes, bubble and all but who the gently caress actually even HAS Discovery+ at the moment?

Like, would it just be a way to pad 'their' service's numbers by making all the HBO Max subs count for them as 'growth'?
I did the trial of Discovery+ and there was nothing on there, not even back catalog stuff of the shows they promoted.

One funny thing I remember is that they had planned to move all new Restaurant Impossible episodes exclusively on Discovery+, but people complained enough that they had to change their mind.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think discovery plus isn't available on Playstations

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I currently have Discovery+ because it was 99 cents and I figured why not? And yeah there’s nothing.

I just can’t fathom the idea of folding the massive inventory of the widely popular and arguably best streaming app HBOMax into some random + no one has. Yeah maybe some accounting magic to report boosted subscribers but you kill HBOMax to do that. That makes no sense.

I’m sorry. I can’t believe that until it actually happens. That’s just nonsense.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
What's going to happen to Peacekeeper you guys?
What's going to the shining star of DC tv/movies?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yeah it isn't available on Playstation. Lol

I hope they get rid of hbo and put it on a streaming service I can not access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The people running this poo poo are loving idiots, so I believe it. Been hearing rumors that Discovery is gonna basically kill off Adult Swim and turn it into a dedicated rerun block, to add to the list of baffling decisions.