Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Classic gacha strategy, can't release all the cool things at once or else you'll have less of a pool to draw from for later on. Fire Emblem Heroes did a similar sort of thing by holding back some of the iconic lords for later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Verant posted:

Classic gacha strategy, can't release all the cool things at once or else you'll have less of a pool to draw from for later on. Fire Emblem Heroes did a similar sort of thing by holding back some of the iconic lords for later on.
Devs also don't have the best grasp on what makes a unit good or bad at the start of a game's lifespan since the game hasn't really been "solved" by players yet. I've seen a couple of games where early units just get outclassed by later ones because the devs simply know how to build them better - see Fate/Grand Order where it took them a while to realize units with high hitcounts were actually really good and 3+ hits per attack became the standard, in contrast to the start of the game where everyone had 3 hits at best and typically had only one. And some units only had two skills instead of three for some reason (which they ultimately needed to rectify over the course of the game's runspan with buffs).

For an example of this in another genre, take a look at Shrek Superslam, a fighting game with a shockingly deep meta that relies heavily on glitches for tech, where the tier list is defined by factors that the devs of that game couldn't even dream of. Or Tribes, where the franchise's defining mechanic - skiing - was initially a glitch before the game was rebalanced around it because it was awesome.

So by holding off on more iconic units until the players solve the game and let the devs understand what strategies work and what doesn't, gacha devs can ensure that more hyped up characters are more fun or interesting to use.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh. And here I thought Gachas just made later units overshadow earlier ones because powercreep gets whales to blow lots of cash trying to get The New Hot Meta.

(that, or swimsuits, but PM have proven that they are resolute in their will to remain completely and utterly non-horny, which I am inclined to believe will hold true even in Limbus.)

edit:

In my free time I've been brainstorming a few puns/jokes for poll option names. TQ, feel free to steal a few of these at your leisure:

Thumb:
-One, two, three, four, I declare a Thumb war.
-I'm running out of ammo for these poll puns.
-Give respect or get decked.

Argalia + Gears:
-Smoke decks really grind my gears.
-I'm feeling really blue all of a sudden.

Liu, in general:
-I'm really getting emotional at how much support this LP's gotten.
-These guys really have us hot under the collar.
-In lieu of info, I'm just going to be silly and roundabout.

Cane:
-Always read the fine print.
-You guys can be real heartless sometimes, you know?
-Does that guy have to charge his face every night, or...

R Corp 1:
-We all ready to hop onto our next Reception?
-Just keep charging ahead like a stampeding animal...

R Corp 2:
-This is deja vu all over again.
-Wait, didn't we already do this one?

Red Mist:
-Well, Gebura's gonna see red when we fight this guest.

Index Proxies:
-I'm kinda in the mood for shish-kebabs tonight.
-I need a prescription for a pill to solve all the headaches you give me.

Purple Tear:
-Well, I feel like people's stances on this issue will change eventually.
-Long ago, the four Dice lived in harmony...
-Well, strike up the band, everyone, we're nearing the end of Star of the City.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 20, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP73VGLCUmg

Ryoshu's our next reveal. Her EGO is entitled "Forest For The Flames" (森羅炎象 in kanji).

Also I nobody's mentioned this, but every character's come with a short quote that seems to be a twist or mutation of a phrase from their source material, with a portion highlighted in red in the original Korean text on screen, in the CC via bolding:

Yi Sang: "Have you ever heard of the taxidermied genius?"
Don Quixote: "To reach the unreachable star!"
Emil Sinclair: "Meanwhile, the world of evil began there already, right in the middle of our house."
Faust: "Man errs so long as he strives."
Meursault: "Today, I killed mother. Or maybe it was yesterday."
Ryoshu: "Other lesser painters are such mediocrities, they have no way to recognize the beauty that lies in ugliness."

The one I know for sure is different is Meursault's-it's The Stranger's opening line, but in the original it's merely "Mother died today. Or yesterday, maybe, I don't know".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going by the teaser Heathcliff is up next. I hope they use this famous quote:

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

Junpei posted:

Also I nobody's mentioned this, but every character's come with a short quote that seems to be a twist or mutation of a phrase from their source material, with a portion highlighted in red in the original Korean text on screen, in the CC via bolding:

Yi Sang: "Have you ever heard of the taxidermied genius?"
Don Quixote: "To reach the unreachable star!"
Emil Sinclair: "Meanwhile, the world of evil began there already, right in the middle of our house."
Faust: "Man errs so long as he strives."
Meursault: "Today, I killed mother. Or maybe it was yesterday."
Ryoshu: "Other lesser painters are such mediocrities, they have no way to recognize the beauty that lies in ugliness."

The one I know for sure is different is Meursault's-it's The Stranger's opening line, but in the original it's merely "Mother died today. Or yesterday, maybe, I don't know".

From what I've read in the YT comments (Reliable source, I know), The Stranger is technically still under copyright in France and said IP holder is apparently a lawsuit happy firm so the quote was modified just to be on the safe side.

Not terribly familiar with most of the other quotes but Yi Sang's quote comes from The Wings ("Have you ever seen a stuffed genius?") and that seems reasonably accurate to the LC quote. Faust's quote is also pretty much the same as the source material, give or take few minor differences that don't really alter the sentence's meaning unlike Meursault's.

But I gotta say, that "click" sound Ryoshu makes before she swings her sword in her E.G.O attack is strangely satisfying to me and I don't even know why.

Another small detail that I find amusing is that so far, all of the Sinners for their E.G.O introduction seemingly show us an angsty sort of side to them other than Yi Sang who goes on some obtuse tangent about mirrors (Binah 2.0, anyone?), and Ryoshu who's basically like, "Hey, I really like cutting people up and calling that art!"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Loxo321 posted:

Another small detail that I find amusing is that so far, all of the Sinners for their E.G.O introduction seemingly show us an angsty sort of side to them other than Yi Sang who goes on some obtuse tangent about mirrors (Binah 2.0, anyone?), and Ryoshu who's basically like, "Hey, I really like cutting people up and calling that art!"

Don Quixote’s is a little angst but she’s also so deeply Don Quixote that the angst basically bounces right off of her because she’s too busy being the hero of her own story.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've been trying to think of the angles each Sinner's requisite Core Suppression/Floor Realization moment would go based on what we know. It's been tough, though.

Vaguely my current predictions are:

Don: Is retreating so far into her own delusions because she is running away from trauma
Heathcliff: Given his resting state is "angry" I feel like his isn't going to be him getting more mad, and more something to do with heartbreak and sadness, especially given his symbol having "HC + CE" in the style of a romantic tree carving on it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Made this for fun/shits and giggles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ve1VE3s0E

Heathcliff promo. His starter EGO is named "Bodysack".

Wuthering Heights quote used: "I have not broken your heart - YOU have; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."

The interesting thing is the tail end, where he mentions a "Cathy" in the English subtitles but in the official Japanese ones, they use "Catherine", which given what I've heard about Wuthering Heights completely changes if he's fighting to rescue/get back his love interest or his daughter, given that "Catherine" is used for Heathcliff's love interest's name, and "Cathy" purely for his daughter who is technically also named Catherine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Given what happened to the fight against Singing Machine when it was stacked against Tomerry, I have no doubts that the blind players will rush straight into Crying Children instead of doing the Scarecrow fight, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9VZdlOfRc

Ishmael trailer.

Moby Dick quote: "If you please, call me Ishmael."

Starting EGO: Snagharpoon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDodp8zMHA

Hong Lu's trailer. Apparently he makes the same mistake Sayo did and thinks Dante's clock face is just a fancy surgery, even saying that while he does like it he's not getting one for himself. Also, he mentions a 'yeye'-Chinese word for "grandpa" but according to someone, his Red Chamber equivalent character's grandpa is dead.

DotRC quote: "Jade has it's flaws, and life its vicissitudes." (a change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant)

Starter EGO Name: Land of Illusion.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 15, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2OxKLg0KY

Rodion's trailer.

C&P quote: "If she could forget everything and begin afresh".

EGO name: What is Cast

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

SlimeTheCrazy posted:

Anyways, excited for the next reception. I was talking to TQ in a server once and he was dreading having having write this one for reasons that shall soon become obvious.

If I'm going to throw out a guess as to why (Doing this in this thread rather than the actual LP thread to avoid spoiling people) it's because of the accents of the Smiling Faces which is... unique, to say the least.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, that's what I meant-earlier in this thread I wondered which would be harder-keeping their accents straight, or making new Oswald dialogue for his fight against Tiphereth.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Junpei posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant-earlier in this thread I wondered which would be harder-keeping their accents straight, or making new Oswald dialogue for his fight against Tiphereth.

Both of them are my own personal realization battle.

I’m still waiting for the game to get hard, though. :colbert:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_4-SeDid8

Gregor's trailer.

Metamorphosis quote: "As I awoke from unsettling dreams, I had transformed into some hideous pest."

E.G.O. name: Suddenly, One Day

Between the dog tags in his personal icon, and the image of him sitting in what appears to be some sort of war zone I think I'm officially coming over to the idea that I've seen circling around that Gregor is a Smoke War veteran... who fought for the old, smoke-making L Corp and lost.

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021
Was not expecting to see the Sephirah symbols on Gregor's E.G.O. Makes me wonder if he has some other relation with LobCorp or the Library outside of (probably) being a Smoke War veteran.

The wall in his E.G.O background also has the words, "NO MORE" graffitied on the bottom right. There's also a knife with an orange blade and an axe with an orange edge embedded on the ground next to Gregor. This is mostly just wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if Gregor might have been previously affiliated with R Corp since the knife and axe share R Corp's main colors along with the fact that we know R Corp participated in the Smoke War? Would be the height of irony if there was also a former R Corp team called the "Roach Team" which Gregor was affiliated with before becoming a Sinner.

I'm probably fixating too much on possible links to LobCorp and LoR, but Gregor's monologue during his E.G.O showcase ("That sight again... That scenery full of things I don't want to see. One I can't so much as choose to turn away from. When I was there... Just what was I supposed to accomplish?") reminds me a bit of Angela and her LobCorp trauma (Having to see horrible sights, unable to forget memories of said sights, and only being able to close her eyes in response). Probably the promo that has made me the most curious about a character so far.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See, I don't think Gregor was with R Corp because of this image.

The guy in the foreground on the left has the I Corp patch that Salvador was rocking that we see in the flashbacks to Roland's early days during Philosophy realization-and Salvador and Roland were fighting against the smoke-based L Corp. So it stands to reason that he's fighting against the man on the right, who has a bug limb. And there are plenty of people in the background with bug parts (including a flying guy with wings) so it stands to reason that Gregor's condition is probably connected to them.

I'm unsure if it was a deliberate mutation thing that the old L-Corp gave their enforces, or a side effect of the smoke monster... thing that happened to have a minor combat upside.

Also, Gregor's comments about not being able to forget a certain sight probably has something to do with "Only people who fought on the winning team got amnestics", but that's just a theory on my part.

The symbols... well, the Smoke War was quite a while ago, so there would be a gap for Gregor to be involved with Lobotomy Corp between then and now.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
I find Gregor's EGO hand most interesting personally since when it's in full form the fingers are very distinctive which reminds me of some art I've seen of showing all the City's Fingers on one hand. Makes me wonder if he has some connection to the big name syndicates

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think Dante will get a trailer after Outis drops Thursday evening/Friday morning, or will Outis be the last?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm ready to burn to death for the cause, sir!

lmao

but not wrong

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I calculated the # of updates until Mizu and Talow:

-1 update to finish off Smiling Faces.
-1 update for Big And Will Be Bad Wolf.
-1 update for Laetitia.
-3 updates for Hod Realization.
-at minimum 2 updates for Crying Children, but given how lengthy and drawn out the fight can be it might be 3 just like E.G.O. Phillip.
-1 update for crossing over into Star of the City, in which Binah is going to unlock after the obscured Mirinae/Harold/Olivier talk and Angela's to-do list. MIZU UPDATE COUNT: 9, possibly 10 updates.
-1 update for King of Greed.
-1 update for Alriune.
-3 updates for Netzach Realization.
-2 updates for either Thumb Part 1, Liu S. 2 Part 1, Cane Office or Blue Reverb, after which Hokma will unlock. TALOW UPDATE COUNT: 16, possibly 17 updates.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY613l8FQTI

Outis's character trailer.

Odyssey quote: "I am... nothing at all."

E.G.O. name: "Suffering becomes Experience".

(insert RWBY "It's also a gun" joke here)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, I should also mention that her character symbol, the watch thing with the net in the center, has some Greek writing on it that translates as "I have a family. They had theirs."

Which does line up with her lit-Odysseus had a wife.

Edit: So some people have been doing their research and they have a theory that I'm buying into.

So, Outis, as has been stated a bajillion times over, is the pseudonym Odysseus uses against the cyclops named Polyphemus. It means "Nobody", and the purpose so that, after attacking and blinding Polyphemus, when he attempts to have his buddies attack him, ends up saying "Nobody hurt me! Attack Nobody!".

Now then, Outis is introducing herself and attempting to be helpful to Dante.

What if... Dante (or more generally Limbus Company) is the Polyphemus in this story, that she's tricking in order to have an escape plan? And she intends to betray the group? Of note, Odysseus also shows up in Hell in Inferno, which is another connection between them.

One more piece of symbolism: Her jacket on her E.G.O. has a patch with a Caduceus on her arm. While we think of it now as a symbol of medicine, doctors, healing etc, it was originally a symbol of Hermes-and Hermes was the god who actually managed to get Odysseus off the island of Calypso, which is the last part of his actual boat journey before he has to deal with things at home.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 6, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1556225358461931520

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1556228463853330433

https://twitter.com/LiberareLimbus/status/1540261419223904256

So I guess now that we've got everyone's trailers out and there doesn't appear to be a Dante one, have the trailers spiked your interest in any characters? Any you're really curious about?

I was already intrigued by Hong Lu but he shot up a bit, as did Don and Sinclair. Outis and Gregor also have me intrigued.

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

Junpei posted:

So I guess now that we've got everyone's trailers out and there doesn't appear to be a Dante one, have the trailers spiked your interest in any characters? Any you're really curious about?

I was already intrigued by Hong Lu but he shot up a bit, as did Don and Sinclair. Outis and Gregor also have me intrigued.

As a character whom I was already interested in, Gregor became even more interesting to me after seeing his E.G.O design with the Sephirot logos in particular.

Funnily enough, I initially thought Hong Lu was (relatively speaking) the least interesting of all of the sinners but his promo video was enough to pique my interest in him.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Loxo321 posted:

As a character whom I was already interested in, Gregor became even more interesting to me after seeing his E.G.O design with the Sephirot logos in particular.
There's a friend of mine who is convinced he is Baral, the only Claw to have seen the Library (that we know of) because of that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/tangentrina/status/1557374835969466369

can't believe I managed to see this fanbase cash in on a hot new meme the day it started rising

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1558085558181588992

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1558080129036759041

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557991112979402752

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557990491500998656

someone has probably already said this before but man, PM's animation game has really stepped up for Limbus.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
forgot two more things

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557977505960603648

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557976949548466179

these are apparently connected to the Seven Deadly Sins thing, the blue one is Sloth and the red one is Wrath

ShoutokuTaisho
Oct 13, 2021

Junpei posted:

forgot two more things

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557977505960603648

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1557976949548466179

these are apparently connected to the Seven Deadly Sins thing, the blue one is Sloth and the red one is Wrath

The blue one translates to melancholy or depression, not sloth. Might be meant as the same, but there is importance in the nuance.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks for catching that, that definitely is interesting.

Two other things I noticed:

1. Liu Gregor's art, I initially thought his right hand just had armor over it, but on closer inspection it almost seems like a prosthetic made out of wood (but given that it's the City it probably has full articulation and the wood look is just an aesthetic). Might all of Gregor's non-base Identities have a right hand that's messed up/altered in some way or another?

2. Seven Ryoshu's attack, if you look closely you can see she still has her sheathe from her base art on her back even though she's using a regular shortsword instead of a katana. I wonder if that will also be a constant between all of her Identities (I even heard someone say that given her two EGO animations we've seen so far, Forest For The Flames and 4MF, what if her EGO isn't her katana but her sheathe, which manifests the blade out of itself).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1558779525286469637

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1558778626920681474

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
New Leviathan spoilers: The sin monsters we just got pics of are Garnet's friends... :(

Also first name drop of a Sinner-Yi Sang's Wing he worked/is working for is apparently N Corp. He apparently is working on a 'mirror', which considering the context of the conversation and the difference between the gameplay we've seen and Garnet's fight, is probably going to be how we get our Identities.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1560523725543735296
September 17th is the big TGS info drop, including their business model (which will contain battle passes, clearly).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1560414043248410624

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563087256814252036

Seems like Don and Ishmael will also have Shi Association Identities alongside the already seen Heathcliff one.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563090533257744384

'Gulae' is Latin for 'gluttony', and 'Peccatulum' just means 'sin'.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563090850732982277

'Acediae' is 'sloth'.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563099773196210176

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563105817775476736

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1563093792114507777

...I can't believe it. That's Hong Lu in a Hawaiian shirt. They're doing it. They'll have a beach episode. HOW? WHY? I thought you were better than this, PM! We don't need Ishmael in a bikini in order for this game to make money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

your best hope is that they'll follow the Yoko Taro approach to mandatory swimsuits, but given that they decided to go gacha in the first place I am not super optimistic

Yoko Taro posted:

Mobile game devs tell me that swimsuit outfits make more money, so I should make one, so I made Dorothy’s aquatic outfit for her Cleric class, but the sales weren’t very good. The devs said, ‘not a diving suit like this! A swimsuit that shows more skin!!’ so I released Dorothy’s lazy bear minstrel class, but sales went down yet again. Who can trust these devs?