Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah you should always brush your long hair cat and if they still get mats regardless it's a good idea to cut them off. If they don't like that and the general internet tricks don't help (pick a time when the cat is sleepy, burrito the parts you don't need access to, have someone else hold the cat, give them treats after) then it's best to go to the vet because you don't want to cut your cat's skin by accident.

If you just leave the mats in they will be uncomfortable and are a haven for (skin) infections.

If they get a lot of mats and you can't stay on top of it, having a groomer or the vet give them a lion cut is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

20 Blunts posted:

how much should you help a long haired cat with their mats? i have air conditioning but on hot days dude just likes to curl up into a stuffy little corner and his fur gets a little chunky this time of year from that, i think.

hes the prissiest cat ever and barely even allows petting, except for in his best moods. its kind of like road construction where you can just get one part done at a time, trying to comb him.

As much as they allow you to? I got lucky and Katya loves to be brushed so we do it often, this time of year she'll still get mats sometimes because of shed hair getting caught tho. I've always been able to loosen it until I can pull out the little dreadlock myself, but if your cat won't allow any help you might want to look at alternatives like shaving. I would only do that as a last resort since it's not great for the cat either, but mats are worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got really lucky with our medium hair length cat (though she has a mile of fur on her belly). Never ever gets mats.. I don't even check for them anymore. But I imagine when she turns into an old cat and she grooms less effectively that may change.

Allegedly it's because she's a tortie, there's a theory out there that dark fur mats less. I'm suspicious, it doesn't seem logical to me. But I know of her litter mates that are much more lighter toned that do have problems with mats so perhaps there's some truth to it. :iiam:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just want to say that I really love my stupid cats.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Someone asked a while ago about the equigroomer and longhair cats. I have shorthairs but I think it depends on what you’re looking for. It’s a deshedder not a brush if that makes sense. One of my cats has slightly longer hair for a shorthair and she’s a chonk so she needs her hair brushed out every now and again and I had to pull out the old brush to take care of it. So my instinct is that using it to keep a longhair’s fur straight is also a no go. Longhair matting chat reminded me that I never posted a response

Equigroomer was still an A+ purchase though. My cats really enjoy getting brushed by it which is cute as hell. They do not like the old brush.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have:
-the FURMINATOR - basically looks like this equigroomer thing, good for upkeep.
-extremely short grain(?) brush that basically doesn't do anything for mats/is like an enhanced petting tool. i use this one to introduce the idea of a grooming session
-the pet republique dematting rake - good for catching mats early on but is way too rough/pully for big ones
-this afro-pick looking tool that is kind of the nuclear option to get a bad mat out

InvisibleMonkey posted:

As much as they allow you to? I got lucky and Katya loves to be brushed so we do it often, this time of year she'll still get mats sometimes because of shed hair getting caught tho. I've always been able to loosen it until I can pull out the little dreadlock myself, but if your cat won't allow any help you might want to look at alternatives like shaving. I would only do that as a last resort since it's not great for the cat either, but mats are worse.

awh Katya? my little dudey has a russian name too - "Mushka" we call him which is close to "mukha" i guess which means "housefly" lol

heres the grumpy boy with the matty butt hairs. definitely digging his claws into my GF's knees just as a condition of being graced with his presence:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My cats were used to free feeding before I adopted them but I’ve done strictly meal times for over a month now. Thing is, they have started running into the kitchen every time I go there, even if it’s several hours until the next meal time. Does this ever go away?

dpkg chopra posted:

Just want to say that I really love my stupid cats.

:same:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

20 Blunts posted:

I have:
-the FURMINATOR - basically looks like this equigroomer thing, good for upkeep.
-extremely short grain(?) brush that basically doesn't do anything for mats/is like an enhanced petting tool. i use this one to introduce the idea of a grooming session
-the pet republique dematting rake - good for catching mats early on but is way too rough/pully for big ones
-this afro-pick looking tool that is kind of the nuclear option to get a bad mat out

awh Katya? my little dudey has a russian name too - "Mushka" we call him which is close to "mukha" i guess which means "housefly" lol

heres the grumpy boy with the matty butt hairs. definitely digging his claws into my GF's knees just as a condition of being graced with his presence:

a handsome lad! Katya is from Romania but she's named after a faux-russian drag queen, lol. Her full name is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamalodchikova

xzzy posted:

We got really lucky with our medium hair length cat (though she has a mile of fur on her belly). Never ever gets mats.. I don't even check for them anymore. But I imagine when she turns into an old cat and she grooms less effectively that may change.

Allegedly it's because she's a tortie, there's a theory out there that dark fur mats less. I'm suspicious, it doesn't seem logical to me. But I know of her litter mates that are much more lighter toned that do have problems with mats so perhaps there's some truth to it. :iiam:

I actually recently found out my cats picked up fleas somehow, starting to think that was the main reason Katya was over-grooming and started developing tiny mats. She usually never gets mats either, we don't know what type of longhair she is but I suspect some ragdoll is in there which would explain her silky coat that never mats.

I dosed them with the good poo poo and washed their bedding, I can already tell it's working. Phew.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

My cats were used to free feeding before I adopted them but I’ve done strictly meal times for over a month now. Thing is, they have started running into the kitchen every time I go there, even if it’s several hours until the next meal time. Does this ever go away?

Our cats free feed pretty much just fine, but we give them some wet food as a treat/shared feeding thing and have done so for 6 months.

From 5:30 pm on they beg in the kitchen as if it's time, literally every day. I don't think it ever ends tbh

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Here come the poostepper (Wolfycat)
He's a litterbox gangster (Wolfycat)
Pick up his foot and clean the gunk off (Wolfycat)
Still stepping in poo poo! (Wolfycat)

Na nanana na
Na nana na na na na na na na
Na nana na

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

xzzy posted:

My fluff beast is 16 now, still does great about keeping her fur in good condition. She does get some knots around her neck areas though. Hates being brushed, but she'll sit there and let me pick them out with my fingers :shrug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How quickly/important is it that i try and get the cats here to a better food?

We've adopted a pair from the shelter and they gave us (and they feed) science diet, which I've mixed with and are just about to cut over to full/only Kirkland brand (since that's what we currently have).

My fiancé hates the smell of wet food, so i'm trying to work around that for now, but can also add some in daily if needed.

Right now they two of em are polishing off about 1/2-2/3s of a cup each when free fed. (1/3 cup each AM, and again in the evening if they've polished it off by then)
(my previous cats lived a life of Merrick Before Grain dry)

Should i get a bad of Solid Gold/Wellness Core and start blending when the Costco stuff gets low?
Is the Instinct/Orijen worth $1 more /lb? ($3/lb for Gold/Core and $4 for Instinct/Orijen) or are we splitting hairs when it comes to the "good tier"
Wait and see how they do as Kirkland Kitties?
Wait until their first/second vet visit and adjust from their input?
Give in and get wet food now as well?

Cat Tax:
Sniggs (F) and Izzy (M) (left and right) lounging in the sun room.
Sniggs is ~14mo, and Izzy is a smidge over 2 years.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I don’t have any input w/r/t dry food but if you want to introduce wet food maybe try something shredded like Tiki Cat or Weruva? Assuming the bad smell is from gravy or pâté.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crocobile posted:

I don’t have any input w/r/t dry food but if you want to introduce wet food maybe try something shredded like Tiki Cat or Weruva? Assuming the bad smell is from gravy or pâté.

I think it's just canned pet food in general.
When we dog sit our friend's pibble and mutt, they get 1/4 can each at night, and that's sent her running.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Royal Canin wet food smells...great.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

As far as I can tell the smell is part of the appeal. The more pungent the cat food smell the more our cats go wild for it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If smell is a problem for humans, fussie cat canned stuff is worth a look. It smells like a normal can of tuna to me, with none of the rancid cat food smells that most other brands flood the kitchen with.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I unironically like the smell of my cats wet food and would probably eat it if someone served it to me as a stew.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drunken officeparty posted:

I unironically like the smell of my cats wet food and would probably eat it if someone served it to me as a stew.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs/v4h9wo5

This podcast basically goes into the science of different topics and in this episode they go into pet food.

Here’s the transcript in case anyone doesn’t feel like listening to it: https://bit.ly/3wEyFXM

The tldr is that grain free food is bad for cats and in general most food that is approved for sale in the US is generally the same, regardless of price.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
How many cats can drink from a water fountain? I have a Drinkwell 360 and it’s 12” diameter. Currently have 2 cats that use it just fine. But we are thinking of adopting a 3rd and want to make sure that one fountain would still be sufficient.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

melon cat posted:

How many cats can drink from a water fountain? I have a Drinkwell 360 and it’s 12” diameter. Currently have 2 cats that use it just fine. But we are thinking of adopting a 3rd and want to make sure that one fountain would still be sufficient.

I'm not aware of any limits. It's just a matter of size. More cats will mean it will need to be refilled more often, so you might want one with larger capacity.

We have one fountain for three cats and I refill it about once a week. It works just fine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah I have one fountain for three cats, hasn't been a problem. The one cat that gets along with the dog occasionally drinks from his fountain too but there's really been no problem with the three of them sharing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We have two smaller fountains for two cats, but that's mostly to have one in each half of our place

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have one for one cat but have thought about getting several more as I'm Italian and love fountains.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please reassure me I've done the right thing.

I agreed to feed my neighbour's five cats this week when they're away. I go round and the cats are in cages. Two cats have a cage each, but there are three cats in one of the cages. There's a litter tray, food and water bowls, but in the three-cat cage there is not enough room for them to lie down, and one of them has to perch on the litter tray because there isn't enough floor space.

They can't be let out in the house when nobody is there for various reasons, partly because they "don't get on" and partly because I don't think the house is a safe environment. People have different standards of cleanliness and clutter, and theirs are different to mine.

The thought of these cats being cooped up in tiny cages for 23 hours a day really unsettled me so I've ended up doing a mini cat-rescue and the three of them are currently in my spare room.

They are hissing, they are growling, and I am already worried about how I'm going to get them back into the cat carrier this weekend to return them to my neighbour who doesn't know they've gone and really won't understand what the problem was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much you're willing to do completely depends on how much you value the relationship with your neighbors. There's no way to get involved without burning bridges.

But it sounds like intervention is necessary, no pet should be penned up like that. If it's how they normally live there's a fair chance they could get along just fine with more space to themselves.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

Please reassure me I've done the right thing.

I agreed to feed my neighbour's five cats this week when they're away. I go round and the cats are in cages. Two cats have a cage each, but there are three cats in one of the cages. There's a litter tray, food and water bowls, but in the three-cat cage there is not enough room for them to lie down, and one of them has to perch on the litter tray because there isn't enough floor space.

They can't be let out in the house when nobody is there for various reasons, partly because they "don't get on" and partly because I don't think the house is a safe environment. People have different standards of cleanliness and clutter, and theirs are different to mine.

The thought of these cats being cooped up in tiny cages for 23 hours a day really unsettled me so I've ended up doing a mini cat-rescue and the three of them are currently in my spare room.

They are hissing, they are growling, and I am already worried about how I'm going to get them back into the cat carrier this weekend to return them to my neighbour who doesn't know they've gone and really won't understand what the problem was.

That's hosed up, they're in cages all week? They're making GBS threads in their cages and having to sleep and eat beside it? I dunno but maybe the 'best' solution here that doesn't involve you getting animal rights people involved is to buy 2 more cages and give them more room?

To put it in perspective cats in animal hospitals and stuff will routinely be in cages for a week's time and it's not the end of the world but it seems really unfair to me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It may be helpful to get some pictures of the states of the cages. I'm not saying to share the pictures here, but depending on how crazy your neighbor is you could end up in a really ugly battle and they could start denying any wrongdoing and accusing you of kidnapping/stealing the animals and stuff.

Fundamentally though, I think/hope this thread will be able to agree that that sounds very obviously like an abusive living situation for those animals.

e: like I understand they are apparently only caged like this when the neighbor is gone, but I would really doubt the judgment of someone who came up with that plan for their week-long vacation

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 2, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Martman posted:

[...]I would really doubt the judgment of someone who came up with that plan for their week-long vacation

Beyond that, the fact that they thought this was normal enough that they weren't concerned about asking their neighbour to feed the cats (and see them in that state) shows a complete lack of insight and speaks to a larger problem that renders them unable to be suitable pet owners.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There's no room for extra cages, one is already stacked on top of the others. And they are a permanent fixture, that is genuinely where the litter trays and the food bowls are all the time, even if the doors are opened when the neighbours are home.

I have photos of the cage and sent them to a former police officer who said he wasn't sure if it met the legal definition of cruelty. Like someone pointed out, animals in hospital have to stay in cages so there's no outright law against it, and it seems like one of those situations where in an ideal world with infinite resources then something would be done, but there are worse cases that need the attention more.

I'm fully aware that this might be burning bridges, but this family has fallen out with half the street.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Asking someone to take care of a cat (let alone five) without at least showing them where everything is - in person or via video - already sounds rather negligent.

Having said that, if you've already abducted three cats who aren't getting along in one room, can't you put one of them back in the now-empty cage, leave another in the room where the cages are (outside of the cages), and the last in your spare room?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It sounds weird as heck for an actual owner's setup, but if the cages are the size of large dog crates its not much different than conditions as a shelter or boarder. Those basically have enough room for litter, beds, and food/water and a little other room to move around in. Though at a shelter or boarder they try to let them out for at least a few hours daily if the animals want.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad when I go on vacation my brother watches the cats. I swear that they love him more than me! I let my cats roam the whole house. I couldn't even imagine putting them in a cage.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My partner is keen for us to try free-feeding biscuits because Wednesday has trained him to get up and feed her about 2h earlier than her set breakfast time by marching and screaming and poking him. He's not willing to sacrifice those hours of sleep to try to reset her, and she goes through this every year in the lighter months.

Currently her feeding routine is: 7am (lol) breakfast biscuits, 7pm pouch of wet food, human bedtime a sprinkle of biscuits in the puzzle feeder. She has maintained a perfect weight since we got her so seems to be getting the right amount of food.

Any tips for transitioning from routine to freely available biscuits? I think she's a bit food insecure (though this has improved vastly) so the main worry is about her gobbling down biscuits and making herself sick/still feeling like she needs to scream at 5am.

Here's cat tax of a snoozy sunbeam morning:

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Have you considered an autofeeder?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We have a simple timer feeder and she kicks it around and makes a racket at 3am :catstare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make something cat proof and nature will create a more annoying cat.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I feel so lucky to have landed these li’l bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm looking for a specific kind of toy, if it exists. I want a small, soft, robotic toy that mostly just sits around but randomly darts around every once in a while for a few minutes, then stops again. My cat gets bored really easily and so robotic toys that stay on lose her interest really quickly, but she always perks up for the first few minutes after we turn it on. Does something like this exist?