Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite thing about That Star Wars Girl is she crowdfunded a ton of money for a 2022 calendar that took several months into 2022 to actually come out and the quality level was basically Kinko's level.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1554634847074672640

"Look! I'm wearing a red coat! Like Ed! You like Ed, right? RIGHT?"

remembering how he had a Facebook group full of teenage fangirls called the rangers of resembool or something

like a washed out car rental worker reliving his high school touchdown moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Which was managed and run by his mother, yes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite thing about That Star Wars Girl is she crowdfunded a ton of money for a 2022 calendar that took several months into 2022 to actually come out and the quality level was basically Kinko's level.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1554634847074672640

"Look! I'm wearing a red coat! Like Ed! You like Ed, right? RIGHT?"

How do you do fellow kids?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

How do you do fellow kids?

To be fair, from the look of it, most of the people in the room with him look like they were teenagers back in 2004 when Full Metal Alchemist was first airing. They've been fans of Vic's long enough that their fandom itself would be the right age for Vic to try and molest it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

remembering how he had a Facebook group full of teenage fangirls called the rangers of resembool or something

Oh, the Risembool Rangers never went away, they're pretty much his personal army whenever he needs people to whiteknight for him, or to go harass someone. They have a now members-only discord where they organize that kind of stuff from what I understand.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Didn't Travis Willingham also have a fan group that he called the Miniskirt Army or something, based on a one-off joke from the same show?

At least that group wasn't creepy (...... I hope).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I. M. Gei posted:

Didn't Travis Willingham also have a fan group that he called the Miniskirt Army or something, based on a one-off joke from the same show?

At least that group wasn't creepy (...... I hope).

I'm pretty sure the Critical Role fanbase could destroy the vast majority of English language anime fandoms.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I feel like Critters would have destroyed him if it was like that. I don't know the fanlore well though

even Matt has to constantly apologize for taking sponsors and roles that the 'dom feel doesn't line up with their values

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like Critters would have destroyed him if it was like that. I don't know the fanlore well though

even Matt has to constantly apologize for taking sponsors and roles that the 'dom feel doesn't line up with their values

They had to take down all videos of a one shot because it was sponsored by Wendy's. Specifically, Wendy's made a TTRPG as a marketing thing and this was right when news broke that Wendy's was incredibly lovely to produce farmers, like even compared to other fast food chains (don't remember the specifics, union busting poo poo was involved I believe, but when you look like the rear end in a top hat compared to McDonalds, it's pretty bad).

As fun as a fast food themed Critical Role one shot sounds, I'm kinda with the 'dom on that.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the specifics was wendys was the sole chain to refuse to sign onto an agreement to not use one-step-removed-from slave labor to source their lettuce lol. it was gnarly stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"but their twitter game is so fire!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Which was managed and run by his mother, yes.

this is weapons-grade levels of sad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Last I checked that group still referred to Vic as “The Fuhrer” too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechaX posted:

Last I checked that group still referred to Vic as “The Fuher” too

Yup. And it's okay because that's a title in the show!

Also to dunk on Anime Matsuri a little more:

https://twitter.com/ISWV_Losers/status/1554650875016069120

Not so much a big fish in a small pond as a pond with toxic runoff and where people dump old appliances they don't want anymore.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MechaX posted:

:ohno:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

At some point someone needs to make an “issues with anime culture” thread so that this thread can go back to being about vic and the lawsuit, which is the only vic content that actually matters

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

https://youtu.be/I1583adUqSg

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i'm preeeeeeeeeeetty sure that edward elric was in opposition to king bradley but whatever i don't have a say in his private facebook group/discord

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Every good guy was in opposition. Hell, even Bradley hated his part in everything. He just couldn't do anything about it because Father and Pride would absolutely dumpster him and his wife for it (see: what happened to Greed once he was dragged back home). "My wife is the only thing I chose for myself" and all that.

But yea that would require them to actually read/watch and understand FMA.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Something a lot of people think to themselves is "why are cults so goofy/doing obviously asinine things?" and what they don't realize is often times those goofy things are intentional by design. They serve as a sort of filtration or selection system, where more rational people will be filtered out and the more gullible or desperate people will stick around and be further conditioned into doing whatever the cult wants them to do.

Stuff like referring to Vic as "the fuhrer" definitely strikes me as being in a similar vein.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I suspect that it’s less to do with cultish stuff and more to do with the nerd fallacy that criticising something you like is an attack on you as a person.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Julias posted:

Something a lot of people think to themselves is "why are cults so goofy/doing obviously asinine things?" and what they don't realize is often times those goofy things are intentional by design. They serve as a sort of filtration or selection system, where more rational people will be filtered out and the more gullible or desperate people will stick around and be further conditioned into doing whatever the cult wants them to do.

Stuff like referring to Vic as "the fuhrer" definitely strikes me as being in a similar vein.

IIRC in the original anime Ed's stated goal was to become the Fuher king, but that was abandoned after it became clear what the gently caress was going on and then he got sent to literal actual nazi germany. In the manga/second anime that goal was abandoned much sooner.

But the whole Risembool Rangers thing was always just insanely creepy as gently caress.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ed's goal was never leadership, he joined the military to get all their forbidden alchemy secrets. And money.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

yeah ed's goal was the forbidden knowledge that would get his and al's bodies restored, being head honcho was never on the itinerary for him. it's mustang who wants to become fuhrer, but his stated goal in the manga/brotherhood is "foster a democratic culture in amestris that will put me on trial for war crimes"

it's in manga/brotherhood that seeking that forbidden knowledge uncovers the conspiracy about the country

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the entire point of the leader of the main country in FMA being called the Fuhrer in FMA was to telegraph to the audience that the government were a bunch of genocidal militarist shitbags who would end up being the main villains.

how does someone miss this, anyway? they presided over one genocide onscreen, the shadow of which hangs over pretty much the entire cast, and god knows how many others in the past

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 3, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the entire point of the leader of the main country in FMA being called the Fuhrer in FMA was to telegraph to the audience that the government were a bunch of genocidal militarist shitbags who would end up being the main villains.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah ed's goal was the forbidden knowledge that would get his and al's bodies restored, being head honcho was never on the itinerary for him. it's mustang who wants to become fuhrer, but his stated goal in the manga/brotherhood is "foster a democratic culture in amestris that will put me on trial for war crimes"

it's in manga/brotherhood that seeking that forbidden knowledge uncovers the conspiracy about the country

how does someone miss this, anyway? they presided over one genocide onscreen, the shadow of which hangs over pretty much the entire cast, and god knows how many others in the past

they don't think genocide is bad because they're pieces of poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Piell posted:

they don't think genocide is bad because they're pieces of poo poo

No you see Ed didn't partake in the genocide so when Vic becomes Fuhrer it'll be cool and good fascism, I mean Ed.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MechaX posted:

Vic wishes he could be as cool a dude as Ed Blaylock (:rip:).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…Goddammit how is this the way I found out Bradley’s VA has been dead for 5 years now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So this is the closest place to being the right place to ask but when the stuff about Vic came to light I swear there was also stuff about Todd Haberkorn too. Did anything come of that? He seems to be trucking right along.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dawgstar posted:

So this is the closest place to being the right place to ask but when the stuff about Vic came to light I swear there was also stuff about Todd Haberkorn too. Did anything come of that? He seems to be trucking right along.

Todd date raped a cosplayer while they were drunk. There were no charges. He basically kept his head down through the whole situation. That's the gist of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah if there's one point the vic stans have its that the industry has plenty of guys like vic, vic just pissed off the wrong people at the wrong time and thats why he got booted, not because what he did was uniquely terrible or that they were somehow unaware of it before it became a big public to-do

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think the thing that ultimately ruined him is that he did the thing that tons of those chuds think they can do but never follow through and he actually sued people. I think he might, MIGHT have still been able to be in the industry after a bit of time if he just had the beef with the other VA’s. He sued Funimation though, which was backed by Sony. That was pissing off the wrong people (the rich), and also sent a message to the rest of the industry that if this idiot works for you, there’s a chance you could get caught up in his bullshit too. Nobody but the very fringes of the industry will touch him. Even if he apologized and had a miracle epiphany and generally became a better person he is done as major VA because no reputable company is going to work with the idea that you could still, just maybe, have to spend a lot of time and money if he falls back on his BS again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was also around the time Broly came out, so Vic was kinda in the spotlight again after spending the last few years kinda under the radar, whereas Todd hadn't really had any roles that big in that time, so he slipped through.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't it the ANN piece that did his career in by substantiating all the rumours of him over the years into actual proven facts, or was yhat just part of it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't it the ANN piece that did his career in by substantiating all the rumours of him over the years into actual proven facts, or was yhat just part of it?

It certainly didn't help.

It's impossible to really say WHAT caused Vic to be ruined unless we invent time travel and mind reading technology so we can go into the rooms where the decisions were made and read people's minds. What can be said is Vic's destruction was a bit of a lightning in a bottle since it involved Vic actually making a terrible, baseless defamation case against every lawyers advice and involved Vic actually being actively vile with a ton of evidence to substantiate.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But he is not a pile of human feces.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yes he is

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

yeah if there's one point the vic stans have its that the industry has plenty of guys like vic, vic just pissed off the wrong people at the wrong time and thats why he got booted, not because what he did was uniquely terrible or that they were somehow unaware of it before it became a big public to-do

But in typical Vic stan fashion, instead of hitting people like Haberkorn or DC Douglas where their issues were caught on 4K or they admitted to it, they instead go hook line and sinker for the “Christopher Sabat has actually been running a Casting Couch for decades and that’s the only reason a lot of these (women} VAs have their jobs” variety of absolute loving fever dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MechaX posted:

But in typical Vic stan fashion, instead of hitting people like Haberkorn or DC Douglas where their issues were caught on 4K or they admitted to it, they instead go hook line and sinker for the “Christopher Sabat has actually been running a Casting Couch for decades and that’s the only reason a lot of these (women} VAs have their jobs” variety of absolute loving fever dreams

I won't hear you slander the good names of All Might and Major Armstrong like that