Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So apparently I have a thing for red bikes with single sided swingarms.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

I'm gonna miss the VFR but the Monster is an absolute riot. When I took it for a test ride I started laughing about 3 minutes in and it was basically a done deal from that point on.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
replaced the turn signals on a sunny day

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

So apparently I have a thing for red bikes with single sided swingarms.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

I'm gonna miss the VFR but the Monster is an absolute riot. When I took it for a test ride I started laughing about 3 minutes in and it was basically a done deal from that point on.

Mmmm red scaffolding. When I first got an interest in motorcycles in my early 20s, a monster was my dream ride. Looks so nice.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
A Monster was what I really wanted when I got my SV650 (off these very forums) years ago but was out of my budget at the time.

I had a few other bikes I was considering and this wasn’t really even on the list. I went to a dealer with pretty much the sole intention of getting a new Street Triple RS until I saw it and was like “Hey, can I?” I took the RS out immediately after and while I adored literally everything about it I didn’t come back from the ride feeling like a kid who just saw someone pop a dank wheelie.

Emotional things, bikes.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 25, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Did 200 today. Ride up to high point was kind of lame. Hawk’s Nest is incredibly lame with a lot of stupid riding on about a half mile of rode. Saw cars and bikes crossing double yellow’s into blind corners. loving awesome!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It was so nice out tonight you'd forget it's still a Monday.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

Lookin fuckin nice!

I haven't been riding mine in the past couple weeks, it's been WAY too hot. Even after the sun goes down it's been over 90 and humid. I took it out once towards the beginning of this heat wave and it was kind of miserable, I had already forgotten how much heat pours out of an ICE bike even when moving, let alone sitting at a light. So I've just been riding the Zero until things cool down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Seen at the gym this morning. Not mine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've seen plenty of ADVs and dirt bikes festooned with LEDs but an 10" amazon special light bar on a cruiser's a new one

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I miss doing that in Arizona. Sign next to the entrance, no motorcycle parking. Next to it, five or six motorcycles. Mine included, gently caress that sign.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Bike parking is whatever you get away with.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The best time to park illegally is when a bunch of other people already had the idea.

(it's a bus lane)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I got my first roadbike in over a decade

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that a piston port?
The intake seems awfully high to induct into the cases

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is that a piston port?
The intake seems awfully high to induct into the cases

reeds

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I'm wondering if that's a piston port cylinder design or if it's case induction instead because of the height, but the presence of reeds answers it. Thanks, I wasn't considering the old PP's don't have those.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 2, 2022

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm wondering if that's a piston port cylinder design or if it's case induction instead because of the height, but the presence of reeds answers it. Thanks, I wasn't considering the old PP's don't have those.

I've never seen a piston port bike with reeds before.

Yes it goes into the case.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My mistake. I've only ever worked on reed engines and maybe one PP ever.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

shacked up with Brenda posted:

who autographed it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sick

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lol gently caress yes

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Cool bike bro

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought my first bike a week ago, KTM 690 Duke. I feel like a got a pretty good deal on it considering the market and it had less than 3k miles. Haven't touched the car since. It had a battery drain, turned out the phone charging thing they had on the bike was wired directly to the battery and was draining it, so I removed it. The ABS was showing a fault so I replaced some fuses and turned it off and back on and it seems to be working now. The fuel gauge is stuck on full so I need to figure that out, but not a huge deal.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Lmao gently caress this thing is cool. Nicely done.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Last of the Two-Strokes! 1985 Yamaha RZ350 Review | Daily Rider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOX1Kx3SVM

That looks like so much fun. Envious.

Quite A Tool posted:

A Monster was what I really wanted when I got my SV650 (off these very forums) years ago but was out of my budget at the time.

I had a few other bikes I was considering and this wasn’t really even on the list. I went to a dealer with pretty much the sole intention of getting a new Street Triple RS until I saw it and was like “Hey, can I?” I took the RS out immediately after and while I adored literally everything about it I didn’t come back from the ride feeling like a kid who just saw someone pop a dank wheelie.

Emotional things, bikes.

Loved my Street Triple 675 RS. But, always regretted not getting a Monster 796 instead. Such a better looking bike to me. That's what happens when you let your brain decide instead of your heart.

dema fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 2, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Oh gently caress Yes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s the absolute worst and simultaneously best decision you could have possibly made.

That thing rules

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rusty posted:

I bought my first bike a week ago, KTM 690 Duke. I feel like a got a pretty good deal on it considering the market and it had less than 3k miles. Haven't touched the car since. It had a battery drain, turned out the phone charging thing they had on the bike was wired directly to the battery and was draining it, so I removed it. The ABS was showing a fault so I replaced some fuses and turned it off and back on and it seems to be working now. The fuel gauge is stuck on full so I need to figure that out, but not a huge deal.

Sadly this won't be the end of your adventures in motorcycle repair, fun bike though. Lotta bike for a beginner too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I assume that KTM has all sorts of fancy electronics and you can put it in rain mode or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh it's got rain mode alright

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oh it's got rain mode alright

As in, won't-start-in-the-? :v:

I always liked the stylized, almost graffiti-esque "690" tank decals on that generation Duke. They're borderline try-hard, and if you put something like that on a Honda it would look loving stupid, but the Duke has just enough swagger to pull it off.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

I assume that KTM has all sorts of fancy electronics and you can put it in rain mode or something.
It doesn't have any ride modes or anything, the only modern stuff it has is abs and slipper clutch and the display. It's a 2017, should be reliable enough, but I know how to work on most things and I have a mechanic that owes me favors. He was going to do the abs, but I ended up fixing it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That thing rules

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That thing rules

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Thanks dudes,

Rode it a bunch yesterday and found a bunch of little things to fix. Motor and suspension and brakes are perfect though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FBS posted:

I think this is my platonic ideal of what a bike should look like when not fully faired up. It's just such a great looking bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A cool overgrown bridge I found

And I slept like this. I haven’t been home since the 27th, I think??

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My gauge of if the vacation is getting good is having to really think (and not having the reflex to look at my phone) to figure out what weekday it is.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Weather has actually been ok in southern arizona, monsoon is cooling things down nicely. It's still nice to escape to the pines though, all the rain makes for an incredible forest smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I, uh.. I took it shopping.

I love my little nerd utility bike. Basically perfect for a chill grocery run.