Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How well could the radiation shield have worked if the guy who spent the most time on Gargantua-2 ended up with cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mantis42 posted:

How well could the radiation shield have worked if the guy who spent the most time on Gargantua-2 ended up with cancer?

I don't think that was because of G-2. I think that was because he was a botched clone of Jonas that didn't turn out right. JJ was doomed from the moment he was born.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, I’m not sure they every explicitly said that he had cancer. Only that he was dying. I kinda just saw it as his whole body just giving up and shutting down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mantis42 posted:

His pee-pee Kancer? I didn't read this as JJ but that might make more sense, still.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh it was a ray shield not a radiation shield, it was for protecting against asteroids. well nevermind, my theory that rusty accidentally killed his brother through incompetence was fun for the 5 minutes it lasted

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

oh it was a ray shield not a radiation shield, it was for protecting against asteroids. well nevermind, my theory that rusty accidentally killed his brother through incompetence was fun for the 5 minutes it lasted

It did give off crazy radiation and gave people extra arms.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

That'd be very fitting for sure, but my assumption was just that JJ got cancer from being in space for so long while he was building Gargantua 2, long before Rusty ever built the shield.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JJ wasn't dumb. He would've thought about space radiation if he was making a space station

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

That theory still holds since it mutated every intern working on it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That theory still holds since it mutated every intern working on it

JJ also said Rusty would be crazy to test it on Earth because it makes radiation due to... something... only works in space without emitting the radiation but there could be something very wrong with it sine Rusty clearly didn't know that.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

bull3964 posted:

Also, I’m not sure they every explicitly said that he had cancer. Only that he was dying. I kinda just saw it as his whole body just giving up and shutting down.

He had Anime Wasting Disease. Its a real tragedy when that happens.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I had assumed JJ’s illness was part of the deal with The Investors. He got the power, fame and wealth but only for a short time. Everyone else that makes deals with The Investors also winds up dead.

R.I.P. King Gorilla

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Quack posted:

I had assumed JJ’s illness was part of the deal with The Investors. He got the power, fame and wealth but only for a short time. Everyone else that makes deals with The Investors also winds up dead.

R.I.P. King Gorilla

I think the Investors are a lot more overt in how the death occurs than that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hell, they saved Monstroso from his anime wasting disease until he was set to narc

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

QuarkJets posted:

He creates roofies that also turn you into a giant insect.

Point of order, that was Spanish Fly. He also for sure does roofies but it was the aphrodisiac with the insectoid consequences.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Don't cheapen it!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think that was because of G-2. I think that was because he was a botched clone of Jonas that didn't turn out right. JJ was doomed from the moment he was born.

It didn't help that once Rusty came of age he turned his body into a garbage can that JJ was inadvertently living in. Rusty never quite went "full Jonny," but he got close.

Also, I know it's been the target of some derision for its comparison to VB, but Harley Quinn comes back tomorrow for S3.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Comrade Quack posted:

R.I.P. King Gorilla

One of my favorite gags is The Monarch at his birthday party just muttering over and over again "I didn't know." God drat is that reveal brutal, and I love it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

limp_cheese posted:

One of my favorite gags is The Monarch at his birthday party just muttering over and over again "I didn't know." God drat is that reveal brutal, and I love it.

It's also how he was conflicted with going back and taking the present and trying to make excuses before people find out, and even rejecting the chance to run away and try and avoid the awkwardness when Mrs the Monarch effectively gives him the chance - but he doesn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean at some point in our lives we'll accidentally gift somebody something awkward, lets just hope it won't be as bad as that.

It's the small awkward human moments that makes us all love these weirdos.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beavis and Butthead doing a shirtclub too

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gaius Marius posted:

Beavis and Butthead doing a shirtclub too

titmouse posted:

We're giving away two (2) subscriptions to the Beavis and Butt-Head T-Shirt Club from titmouse. Winners will have the 12 tees shipped to them weekly, plus a bonus tee for 13 total.

or just to do.
https://www.titmousestuff.com/products/beavis-and-butt-head-shirt-club

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think I can justify owning more than one B&BH shirt.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

$300 hachi machi. I do t remember what I spent on the v bros shirts. It’d be nice if we could reorder some at some point. My extra color shirt is super faded.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

More shows should do t-shirt clubs.

Also Doc's new band Pageant Girls is doing a very small tour of Raleigh, Washington DC, and Brooklyn. Music is very shoegaze-y of the mid-90's with a late 80's spirit.

https://linktr.ee/PageantGirls

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

$300 hachi machi. I do t remember what I spent on the v bros shirts. It’d be nice if we could reorder some at some point. My extra color shirt is super faded.

Same. My Spanakpopita shirt is faded and beat to hell but my Shallow Gravy and OSI shirts are still going strong even though I cut off the sleeves and wear them constantly. Would be nice to get a replacement or two.

I don't wear the others anymore but I should cut off the sleeves and wear some of them too. I just can't wear them with sleeves because they were not designed with fit and muscular dudes in mind. Shocking, I know.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The World Inferno posted:

Also Doc's new band Pageant Girls is doing a very small tour of Raleigh, Washington DC, and Brooklyn. Music is very shoegaze-y of the mid-90's with a late 80's spirit.

BOOOOO
I'm in Colorado, but headed to DC the week of Aug 8. Sigh, so close.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

I'm sad they'll never make it to the Pacific Northwest, 'cause they're incredible and First Runner Up is one of my favorite songs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it was $200? I still have a bunch and wear them frequently.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Comrade Quack posted:

R.I.P. King Gorilla

I'm pretty confident this isn't it. JJ hosted the Investors as moment of weakness in the face of death, but didn't take the deal in the end. His success before that was all his own doing.

All That And Gargantua 2 is fairly ambiguous about pretty much everything Investors related, so who knows really.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

After months of being faked out by some fitness company with a similar logo, I finally drove past someone with THE MIGHTY MONARCH symbol on their car. I rolled down the window and gave them the Venture V hand signal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
JJ's cancer I think is definitely implied to be basically his body only being able to hold out so long as a half-formed twin that's managed to survive through all the insane bullshit Rusty's been through all his life, and that's not even counting the implication that Rusty is a clone too. That said, they do leave a lot of things ambiguous probably on purpose in the special.

There's an overall theme with Rusty that he's potentially a better scientist and a better man than his father, but he has absolutely no sense for business, safety, or basic common sense... I'm pretty sure because Jonas sure as gently caress didn't either. Like, the whole mass-market Helper fiasco sounds exactly like something Rusty would do. Jonas was just better at getting basically unlimited money from the government to beat the commies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It’s strongly implied that the Helper uprising was caused by Dr. Z.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IUG posted:

After months of being faked out by some fitness company with a similar logo, I finally drove past someone with THE MIGHTY MONARCH symbol on their car. I rolled down the window and gave them the Venture V hand signal.

Pretty sure I've seen a Ventech or Venture something or other that made me do a double take. Not as much as the military looking building with the X-Com logo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

It’s strongly implied that the Helper uprising was caused by Dr. Z.

It is? I thought it was clearly framed more as a result of Jonas cheaping out on construction (and it seemed to predate most modern safety standards) and resulting in an uproar among the primary market who could actually afford personal robots; that is, suburban white people with way too much free time and pent up anger.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t remember tbh but when dr z is recounting the time he found vendata in a dumpster it shows him in charge of an army of helpers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also like the focus of half the episodes on the compound is finding half-finished projects and experiments Jonas forgot about years ago. Like, he literally threw what would become Vendata in that dumpster when all he had done was gross out his team and try to strangle Rusty. ...iirc it's also mentioned that Venturion was part of a series of projects that all went rogue and became supervillains.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t remember tbh but when dr z is recounting the time he found vendata in a dumpster it shows him in charge of an army of helpers.

Yeah he's also riding on the big drill vehicle that shows up in a few other episodes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Helpers killing wee little babies happened in the 60s, while that Dr. Z is clearly after he went fully bald, since had at least some hair when seduced by the Blue Morpho. So two different incidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if literally raiding Jonas' dumpster was basically a shortcut to a pick and mix supervillain scheme.