Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

one suggestion I've seen made repeatedly is to use one of those seats that goes on the real toilet (many have built in steps) from the start, because otherwise you run the risk of them getting attached to the little potty and refusing to change over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

one suggestion I've seen made repeatedly is to use one of those seats that goes on the real toilet (many have built in steps) from the start, because otherwise you run the risk of them getting attached to the little potty and refusing to change over.

yup!

it’s also much more convenient than cleaning poo poo out of a bowl several times per day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if she's announcing she has to go it's easy mode. just take her to the bathroom when she says she has to go. also when you think it's about time for a try.

you don't have to do the 72hr marathon thing or make it disruptive.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no matter what you do, as long as your kid isn't sitting around in piss and poo poo, you're fine. she might not like a potty seat. if not, get a potty chair. she'll probably want to switch as she gets older.

it's all important, but none of it matters. try not to stress and it'll be fine

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fyi there are now 37 episodes of Bluey Season 3 available ~online~ if you’re tired of season 1 and season 2

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
From my toilet training experience so far, if you have a difficult / smart kid: just be prepared for anything and go with it when you can. Mine didn't want to use the potty for ages but after about a week from when he decided to do it he's dry most of the day and most nights too. He won't get in the car anymore though so that he still has control over something lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

last night my son needed some comfort in the middle of night and I walked face first into his door in the dark because for the first time ever it was actually closed, lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

fyi there are now 37 episodes of Bluey Season 3 available ~online~ if you’re tired of season 1 and season 2

god drat bluey is good

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Lol, yeah.

It's scary because it's a big change to actively decide to take. I sort of assumed it would have just happened by now and we'd roll with it. I'm a big fan of kids and I'm super into the idea of all the cool poo poo you can show them and teach them about the world, and just kinda hanging out with your little pal, but at the same time uh, it's obviously hard, and there's no free trial.

We've got a couple of nieces and the oldest one is about 2 now, and she's randomly just taken a huge shine to me out of nowhere (after pretty much refusing to interact with me up till now because ??? kids I suppose), now every time I see her she's telling me about her toys, showing me all of our own fridge magnets when she comes to visit us, and will stop at nothing to try to see our very nervous rescue cats. It's :3: as hell. She's a handful but it's cute.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my
youngest had a sleepover so spent the day with my 13yo and we drove around listening to the wall (he loves it too) singing and took some photos in the rain, came home, made rice, watched the matrix, then he played subnautica and at the end of the day he said he had a super fun day with me :) pretty stoked tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

it's all important, but none of it matters. try not to stress and it'll be fine

this is true. our kid stayed in nappies far too long (as in age wise) but then switched to toilet pretty quickly

ya don’t see kids age 12 with nappies or with a dummy in their mouth or anything else other people will try to warn you “you better make sure to change quickly or they’ll never change”

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wrt potty training, my wife has been reading some books by emily oster (expecting better and cribsheet) which purports to look at published literature to answer common pregnancy/parenting questions. otoh the author is an economist (lol and may i add lmao)

they show a study by blum, taubman, and nemeth in 2003 which followed children and looked at the age at initiation of potty training and the duration. it's kind of interesting, one interpretation of the study is that children tend to finish potty training near the same age regardless of when potty training starts. here's the figure from the paper:

but it is a pretty old study so who knows what the consensus in the field is these days.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

ya don’t see kids age 12 with nappies or with a dummy in their mouth or anything else other people will try to warn you “you better make sure to change quickly or they’ll never change”

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my nutcase 5 year old hit our puppy in the head with a stick and it got a concussion and has to be on heavy painkillers and monitored for 24 hours

thanks again bud :waycool:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

poor pupper ☹️

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in the last like 3 months I’m finally comfortable with my kids playing with my dog without getting accidentally hurt by the 110lb fur missile, but I’ve been having them learn to give him commands so that he listens to them, which helps a lot

their favourite thing rn is to make him sit on the couch and then they bring him bones and stuffies and blankets and paint his nails :3:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I managed to resist the urge but I see stupid poo poo like this and it's a 50/50 chance I impulse buy this garbage for my kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQoB_jeKV1U

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
we just bought a current-model iPad for our kiddo to use for apps offered by her school system + other educational content and stuff. also a tough lookin case and a screen protector

i had to lean hard into a "it should not be a birthday present because it will be an educational / creative tool that we ration time on, not a gift which becomes a personal possession that she's allowed to use however she wants"-type argument. my wife wanted it to be a present because it is a big thing, but I thought that would invite disagreements and fights and "why can't I do X thing, it's MY IPAD" and i want 0 of that

if anyone feels they know a thing or two, I wouldn't mind hearing how others have set up parental controls on ipads or whathaveyou but like, physical access to device is probably what we're gonna be controlling most because she's a frickin 5 y/o

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

prisoner of waffles posted:

we just bought a current-model iPad for our kiddo to use for apps offered by her school system + other educational content and stuff. also a tough lookin case and a screen protector

i had to lean hard into a "it should not be a birthday present because it will be an educational / creative tool that we ration time on, not a gift which becomes a personal possession that she's allowed to use however she wants"-type argument. my wife wanted it to be a present because it is a big thing, but I thought that would invite disagreements and fights and "why can't I do X thing, it's MY IPAD" and i want 0 of that

if anyone feels they know a thing or two, I wouldn't mind hearing how others have set up parental controls on ipads or whathaveyou but like, physical access to device is probably what we're gonna be controlling most because she's a frickin 5 y/o

IOS parental controls are still absolute trash (especially if you want multi-user support)

Kindle Fire is also bad, but at least it has a web interface and multi-user support.

Microsoft's Family is pretty good but limited in what it can do if you aren't using Edge. (The xbox controls are pretty good, if not quite granular enough for my taste)

Playstation's parental controls are similar to the IOS ones, in that yeah... technically they have them, but it's not meant to be used in a mult-user environment.

Anyone use google enough to tell me how that goes?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

use of personal possessions is still subject to parental oversight. my kid's candy is his, that doesn't mean i'm gonna let him eat it all at once. he owns books, that doesn't mean he can stay up reading them at 3am. she's five. you can parent her without worry. you can also do what you're doing, but it's not like choosing not to die on that hill would have harmed your kid.

anyway i feel you, but with respect to a switch: i wanna be able to just set some timers on it and give it to him, but frankly he's not mature enough at 6 to really exercise control over his own and consistently turn off when it's time. which makes sense, he's 6. so it sits on the shelf until it seems like a good idea to let him have one of his own. like i'm sure parental controls would help but idk that feels bad to me, and im not sure he wouldn't just throw a fit directed at the switch itself

today little jones sort of had a breakthrough of how consequences work. i wasn't letting him play switch because the last time he played, he threw a fit when it was time to put it away. today it clicked that he's not disallowed from playing as specific punishment, but because i need there to not be behavior like that and if he can't control himself, im gonna control the situation to prevent it from coming up. it remains to be seen if this has an effect on actual behavior but i am hopeful

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2022

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
fancy nancy is so loving terrible

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

HamAdams posted:

i don't mind the books so much* but the tv show looks absolutely cursed

* mostly because amelia bedelia is extant

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the writing does get tedious to read aloud to a kid, due to the central gimmick of the smart and extremely extra titular nancy always saying a fancy word which she immediately has to "dumb down" for her audience, usually every other page

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
we haven’t read the books but at least in the show, nancy just seems like a lovely person

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ah yes, the caillou factor

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HamAdams posted:

my youngest likes this show sometimes and the only reason I like it is because it’s funny to hear her ask for it lol

“daddy I want pantsy mancy”
“daddy I want fancy dancy”
“daddy I want Nancy pantsy”

otherwise yeah it’s Caillou 2.0

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we're getting loads of words coming through seemingly at random and with some unfortunate pronunciation e.g. 'glasses' are being shouted as 'asses!'

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
when they were really little both my kids would get excited about flags and shout “flag!” whenever they saw one only the L was silent

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Niece likes Paw Patrol and her attempt to say Marshall sounds a lot like "arsehole".

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Niece likes Paw Patrol and her attempt to say Marshall sounds a lot like "arsehole".

I had a hard time not laughing when I encountered a kid who could only pronounce “st” sounds as a “d” and really wanted to play with the stick

Achmed Jones posted:

today little jones sort of had a breakthrough of how consequences work.

fingers crossed that it sinks in in a productive way.

compared to what I expect sometimes, kids having important abstract insights seem to result in delayed but durable or gradual changes.

one night at dinner my eldest was having a lot of fun playing and making her little brother giggle and it was just a wonderful feedback loop of good feelings between the two of them. I don’t remember exactly what I said but it was something about how I could tell that she was paying attention to her brother and how she was making him happy and that made me happy, how sharing good feelings makes us feel better and makes life together more joyful and stuff. she listened to me and leaned on me and took it in and I can’t say for certain that it changed her behavior but I see my kids interacting in that way sometimes and it makes me very… satisfied? like, “ah yes, that’s definitely part of what I want for their relationship”

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
my daughter was recently talking about how her grandpa gave her a pile of chips, had to have her repeat that one a couple times

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

watching storybots with my kid and she got real scared when kevin smith appeared onscreen. it's just how he normally looks but with a red cape. lol. lmao

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

daddy, how is that man wearing jorts as long as pants but they’re clearly jorts, not pants?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
love it when i finally get the kids loaded into the car and put the car into gear and hear my 4 month old filling his diaper :suicide:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the first big milestone you pass imo is when your kids can wipe their own asses and put on their own seatbelts

it makes such a huge difference to the flow of modern life

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we just passed both of those and yeah it is fantastic to be able to say “get your shoes on and get in the car” without any further intervention.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just gotta remember to take water lol

god I resent being out and about and I forgot water and kids thirsty, and now I gotta spend $3 on a plastic bottle :argh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve been having my 3.5 and 2yo feed our dog his meals, and they’re getting pretty good at it all things considered

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Been playing coop switch games with all 4 of us. I recommend overcooked and lovers in a strange spacetime, tho they are called 'the argument games'
but... it did lead to an incident at the supermarket checkout when my little boy shouts out 'can we play lovers when we get home'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i am envious of people who can play overcooked and the bomb diffusal one

i am so sensitive to people not listening to me/not being clear/getting in my way in real life that i would probably have a mental breakdown, turn feral, and live out the rest of my life in the woods if i ever tried to play those games with my friends and family