Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tangy yet delightful posted:

2008 Honda Ridgeline - P0456 Powertrain Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak, check fuel cap, piping, etc)

Popped a CEL a couple weeks back, it was the above code as pulled by my Torque app & OBD II reader. I tried fixing it with buying a MotoRad MGC-817T Fuel Cap, installed and reset the CEL. About 4-5 days later after some driving to cycle the testing system the code came back.

What are next steps for me to check if I'm trying to troubleshoot this at home? And/Or is this something I should have a competent Honda mechanic look at?

The way the evap system works is that it captures gasoline that evaporates from your gas tank in a canister, then feeds it up into the intake when it's running to burn the gas instead of letting it go out to the atmosphere. If there's a leak in the evap system usually the next step is some kind of leak testing with a smoke machine. Unless you want to do it yourself it's likely that a mechanic will need to do it. I smoke tested my own and it turned out mice had bitten some holes in the line between the top of the gas tank and the evap system charcoal canister. I couldn't really reach the spots I needed to get to for a replacement of that line myself so I had a mechanic do it.

The system will self test by applying a low amount of pressure to itself and making sure that pressure doesn't fall. It can fail due to the valve not working right, holes, or a number of other issues. This is why it tends to be a job where putting some smoke in through the schrader valve in the engine and then looking for where smoke is leaking out is useful. I used a kit like this with a homebrew smoke machine but you need to be careful since it's not supposed to be over 1 PSI.
https://smile.amazon.com/Service-Adapter-Adaptor-Connector-Removal/dp/B072NGFYZG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rexxed posted:

The way the evap system works is that it captures gasoline that evaporates from your gas tank in a canister, then feeds it up into the intake when it's running to burn the gas instead of letting it go out to the atmosphere. If there's a leak in the evap system usually the next step is some kind of leak testing with a smoke machine. Unless you want to do it yourself it's likely that a mechanic will need to do it. I smoke tested my own and it turned out mice had bitten some holes in the line between the top of the gas tank and the evap system charcoal canister. I couldn't really reach the spots I needed to get to for a replacement of that line myself so I had a mechanic do it.

The system will self test by applying a low amount of pressure to itself and making sure that pressure doesn't fall. It can fail due to the valve not working right, holes, or a number of other issues. This is why it tends to be a job where putting some smoke in through the schrader valve in the engine and then looking for where smoke is leaking out is useful. I used a kit like this with a homebrew smoke machine but you need to be careful since it's not supposed to be over 1 PSI.
https://smile.amazon.com/Service-Adapter-Adaptor-Connector-Removal/dp/B072NGFYZG

Hmm thanks for the explanation, I'll see what I can find out from a mechanic on pricing to do that testing and decide from there. I haven't actually needed a mechanic yet since I moved across country so the fun part will be looking for a reputable shop.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got mine set up yesterday and it works flawlessly. Glad I pulled the trigger on that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

To be clear, even if theyre telling the truth and refusing to switch means you lose out on buying the car, youre being scammed.

I sent an email stating that I wouldn't change the terms I made when I put the deposit down and asked them to show a time-stamped deposit slip from the "other buyer" to compare against mine.

Pretty sure they are just going to stonewall me at this point which will be pretty loving frustrating because I wont get this car I want, but I'm not willing to get rolled on bullshit.

I'm not going to voluntarily ask for my deposit back though. They are gonna have to work at it to get rid of me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

VelociBacon posted:

formal BBB complaint

The Better Business Bureau is a private company that serves as a clearinghouse of consumer gripes and extorts money from businesses for good ratings.. Making a formal complaint to them is like making a formal complaint to Yelp. OP would be better served complaining to the automaker whose cars the dealership sells.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm not going to voluntarily ask for my deposit back though. They are gonna have to work at it to get rid of me.

If the dealership has no intention of selling you a car, your deposit is an interest-free loan from the bank of SpaceCadetBob.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Put a deposit down on a car this morning. Got a call a few minutes ago from the dealer saying they took another deposit at the same time and want me to switch from cash purchase to financing or they are going to have to sell to the other person.

Am i being scammed?

I don't know if this fits my definition of being scammed, but it's pretty close.

So the reason I won't outright say it's a scam, is because it sounds like they're still willing to sell you the car at the agreed upon price, they just want you to finance it. Why do they want you to do that? These days a large portion of the profit on selling a car comes from the financing of the car. The dealer can get you a loan from a bank at say 3% but then they tell you how they were able to work really hard and get you approved for 4.5% financing. They buy the rate up, and the bank pays them the 1.5% interest they marked the loan up on. With invoice pricing being available online for the last 15+ years, a lot of dealers have moved their profit to the financing part of the transaction since most people aren't aware of how things work in that department.

On a 40K car financed over 5 years, the difference between 3% and 4.5% is a little over 1600 dollars. High volume dealerships can make very little money on the initial sale of the vehicle, but make a lot of money on the finance mark up, and other manufacturer incentives/bonuses.

There's nothing stopping you from accepting their financing, and then paying it off 45 days later. (Make sure to read the fine print on the contract to make sure there is no prepayment penalty).

On a side note, if you can wait a few more months to buy a car, I would suggest doing so. The market is starting to calm down, and I have a feeling these dealers who stocked up on expensive used vehicles to sell are going to be holding the bag here pretty soon and start cutting their losses. Repo's are up, late car payments are up, and with interest rates going up and a possible recession looming demand is going to go down.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

The Better Business Bureau is a private company that serves as a clearinghouse of consumer gripes and extorts money from businesses for good ratings.. Making a formal complaint to them is like making a formal complaint to Yelp. OP would be better served complaining to the automaker whose cars the dealership sells.

I always think it's funny how people think the BBB is like some government entity (I guess having bureau in the name will do that) or small business police.

When I worked retail we'd always enjoy the people who'd be frothing mad about some perceived slight and threatened to report us to the BBB. Like they'd shut us down or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Put a deposit down on a car this morning. Got a call a few minutes ago from the dealer saying they took another deposit at the same time and want me to switch from cash purchase to financing or they are going to have to sell to the other person.

Am i being scammed?

Tell them that's fine, you want 0% financing and $500 off the car for your trouble. Pay the financing off before the first bill arrives. This will gently caress them out of the commission - they need you to make several payments to get their cut.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

H110Hawk posted:

Tell them that's fine, you want 0% financing and $500 off the car for your trouble. Pay the financing off before the first bill arrives. This will gently caress them out of the commission - they need you to make several payments to get their cut.

If they can give you 0%, why wouldn't you just take it?

Generally it's the manufacturer chipping in for incentive financing, not the dealer. It's not completely zero sum between you and the dealer specifically because of manufacturer incentives.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

If they can give you 0%, why wouldn't you just take it?

Generally it's the manufacturer chipping in for incentive financing, not the dealer. It's not completely zero sum between you and the dealer specifically because of manufacturer incentives.

Spite.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

honda whisperer posted:

Maybe but the one I've recently dug into was the theta engine. It's a poo poo show. Like I could buy my cousins blown up 07 kia for $500 to swap and flip but people need engines so badly that the price has gotten ridiculous.
Do you have one and are worried or are you looking at one? If you're looking walk away. They're currently in deny everything to prevent more class actions and recalls mode.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have a 1.6t in my 2018 Elantra GT Sport and it seems Im maybe a quart or so down after 2500mi, with 41k on the car. Bought new, always changed the oil at 3k with full synthetic other than a few changes at 5k after long easy road trips. Carmax will give me 4K less than I paid for it new but its almost paid off and I love this drat thing so Ill be annoyed if it ends up being an issue. The stories Ive been reading make me look at that tiny Lexus hybrid SUV thing (nx200 maybe?) as a daily.
I was rather smitten by the i20 N honestly. Had me doing research.
Was thinking of buying new (got a decent quote from the dealership even) but a glass engine seems like too much of a gamble.
If it just burnt oil I could live with that. Early 2000s 1.4l Corollas happily burnt oil for hundreds of thousands of kilometers (due to their narrow oil channels or whatever) and came out no worse for the wear in my experience.
However I'm reading this like the Hyundai gammas will start out burning oil and progress into making GBS threads themselves and that's a concept I won't stomach.

There are a few other options left on the table - mostly flavours of VAG like the Scala and Leon, but I'm not overly invested in them. Modern cars seem meh for new car money.

I might just have my trusty old Toyota welded and drive it for 5-10 more years.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 2, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yeah this is me. gently caress them, and I'll go to reasonable lengths myself to make that happen within my ability.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 issues with my 2016 WRX Limited, manual transmission. A month left on my extended warranty, so good time for things to crap out.

1. Squeaky/whistling/chirping sound when I push my clutch in. Happens most often within 10 minutes of a cold start. It sounds like the dreaded TOB issue is the exact opposite in that it happens when the clutch is not engaged, so probably not that?
2. I have to jump start my car typically once every day or two. Brand new battery as of last week and it still happens. Dying alternator?

I've got an appointment already, but just wondering what to expect.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2 issues with my 2016 WRX Limited, manual transmission. A month left on my extended warranty, so good time for things to crap out.

1. Squeaky/whistling/chirping sound when I push my clutch in. Happens most often within 10 minutes of a cold start. It sounds like the dreaded TOB issue is the exact opposite in that it happens when the clutch is not engaged, so probably not that?
2. I have to jump start my car typically once every day or two. Brand new battery as of last week and it still happens. Dying alternator?

I've got an appointment already, but just wondering what to expect.

The alternator wasn't checked before the battery was outright replaced?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Yeah this is me. gently caress them, and I'll go to reasonable lengths myself to make that happen within my ability.

You can also show up with a checkbook and say you will consider financing. Get to the very end and then say "on second thought I want to pay cash." Then when the finance guy finishes wanting to strangle you offer to reconsider for a lower sale price or a $X00 gas card.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

The alternator wasn't checked before the battery was outright replaced?

Nope, AutoZone gave me a new battery for free since the other one was still under warranty as it had only been 9 months, so I just took it and ran. Let me rule a bum battery out at least.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nope, AutoZone gave me a new battery for free since the other one was still under warranty as it had only been 9 months, so I just took it and ran. Let me rule a bum battery out at least.

Wild, well yeah my guess would be a bad alternator or related control electronics. Generally a good idea to own a multimeter so you can quickly check the voltage across the terminals while the car is running to see if it's an obvious alternator issue. It's good that it's under warranty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Wild, well yeah my guess would be a bad alternator or related control electronics. Generally a good idea to own a multimeter so you can quickly check the voltage across the terminals while the car is running to see if it's an obvious alternator issue. It's good that it's under warranty.

Yeah just checked and Ive got 12.6-7 across the battery while the car is off and 14.0 while its on. Seems like those levels should be ok? Ill find out Thursday I guess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems like those levels should be ok? I’ll find out Thursday I guess.

New thread title?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah just checked and Ive got 12.6-7 across the battery while the car is off and 14.0 while its on. Seems like those levels should be ok? Ill find out Thursday I guess.

Yeah dunno, maybe a failing solenoid or starter but you wouldn't really expect that to get fixed by a jump start in most cases. Please let us know what they tell you!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

New thread title?

Nah unless Im misreading it, those are literally fine levels and he means hell see if the alternator or something else is an issue when it gets looked at by a pro

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yeah, the voltage when not running, and when running seems about right.

Battery connections all good? I've found that sometimes they can be weird. Like one day they'll be fine, but later on that day not fine. When you jump the battery, its kinda like the voltage is going through the cables/terminals, but not necessarily to the battery itself.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Yeah, the voltage when not running, and when running seems about right.

Battery connections all good? I've found that sometimes they can be weird. Like one day they'll be fine, but later on that day not fine. When you jump the battery, its kinda like the voltage is going through the cables/terminals, but not necessarily to the battery itself.

I'd bet a set of new jumper cables on it being a bad connection.

Because it happened to me more than once and now I suspect it everytime if the battery is under 5 years old.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Could be a dead cell or a bad connection in the battery. Voltage is fine but it falls on its face when you try to crank. This is often the cause when jumping fixes it.

Were the terminals clamps clean? That's another cause.

If you're grounding to the chassis or engine when jumping it can also be a rusty ground bolt.

hosed up new battery is always possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can use an amp clamp on the negative battery cable to tell how many amps are "going into" the battery and thus if it's charging or not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When jumping it, I clamp to the negative terminal, not the chassis. But, those should be equivalent. The connections to the terminals are free from corrosion, so who knows. I'll find out in a couple days.

I've already had an AC compressor replaced under extended warranty, so I need one more repair to break even.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Stupid question, here:

2006 Lexis GX470 misfired going up mountain pass on a recent road trip. Limped into town, swapped in plugs and coils into the misfiring cylinders. Holy poo poo it worked! Car gets us where were going without throwing any additional codes, up hills and mountains, all seems well.

Fast forward a few weeks, car is towing a small trailer up hill and starts misfiring again, now 2 cylinders different from the previous incident. It only misfires at high RPM, basically when Im opening it up going uphill. Tired of paying for coils so I swap in new plugs, but those cylinders are still misfiring. Get home, swap coils from good cylinders to bad, same cylinders 4/6 are still misfiring. Its not the coils or plugs, apparently.

At this point I take it into the shop and they say its my Catalytic converters and they want to replace all 4 for 8k!!!! A repair of this cost will essentially total the car. gently caress. I live in Colorado, a CARB compliant state, which increases cost.

But is this a good diagnosis? I am not throwing catalytic converter codes! Only misfires. They supposedly did the proper tests to say the cats are bad but it seems odd it isnt throwing a cat specific code. Furthermore, my research seems to indicate a bad cat causing misfires is pretty rare. And if the cat function is diminished, that may just be a symptom of the misfire, not the cause, and what if I replace the cats only to gently caress things up with another set of misfires?? Id be right back where I started

And the shop were kind of dicks about it. I was asking questions about how they got to that diagnosis and they just seemed kind of annoyed Id even ask those questions.

Anyway, it seems more reasonable to start upstream with less expensive repairs. I think I could figure out how to replace the fuel injectors myself, for example, in those cylinders. Or maybe a wiring issue? But Im not sure how I would begin to trouble shoot that.

Really perplexed and bummed Im staring down such a costly repair. Any insight is greatly appreciated

I promise I will post pics of my adventures repairing this thing if anyone can offer some guidance

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I cannot fathom any way in which a cat causes misfires unless the cat is clogged, and even then that's a long shot (from experience, a clogged cat is more likely to result in extremely reduced power and possible overheating). Even if that was the case, it also seems impossible that it would result in only misfires in cylinders 4 and 6. You should have misfires across either an entire cylinder bank or the whole engine, not just two cylinders.

I think that shop is trying to gently caress you.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yeah, it sounds like they are trying to gently caress you over. Just in general replacing cats without fixing the thing upstream that broke the cat in the first place is a bad idea, and there doesn't seem to be any evidence the cat is bad. I would cut your losses, try to take it to a better mechanic and (if possible) have them walk you through their diagnosis procedure.
Also a bit of a shot in the dark, but if I'm not mistaken cylinders 4 and 6 are right next to each other. I don't know the extent of your diagnostic equipment or skills but you may want to investigate whether the head gasket on that bank has gone bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, someone is trying to get themselves a cheap Lexus

Check the connections going to the coils for corrosion or gunk, moving things around to narrow down the issue was a good move.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Enos Cabell posted:

Got mine set up yesterday and it works flawlessly. Glad I pulled the trigger on that.

:same: $80 well spent.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I only worry about aa killing my battery, but yeah it works great.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. Find a different shop.

If you're switching coils and the same cylinders are continuing to misfire: Look into the injector, short term fuel trim on that bank vs the other, O2 readings, the wiring harness, do a leakdown on all 8 and compare with the cylinders misfiring.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am not familiar with that engine enough to know this, but: are the plugs recessed in the valve cover? Were the coil pack plug ends wet with oil?

I had this same problem with an '08 Versa and it turned out the be leaking O-rings filling the plug passages with oil, which fucks with the conductivity & causes the spark plugs to fire weirdly.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Typically unaddressed misfire problems can destroy your catalysts. A failing catalyst doesn't usually cause misfires unless the catalyst is plugged. A plugged catalyst is usually VERY obvious.

A possible test: pull the upstream oxygen sensors and see if the misfire disappears. It will be very loud and not environmentally friendly, but if the engine starts running better, it points to a catalytic converter problem.

Definitely check the tips of the coil boots first. If oily, fix that first.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bad O2 sensors can cause misfires, and can cause catalytic converter performance codes. So it's somewhat understandable how a bad shop might come to that conclusion. But they're still a bad shop because they misdiagnosed the car.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? It's probably not the issue , but cheap insurance anyway.

Also if it were me, I might still be looking at ignition problems. Or at least not ruling them out, while checking other things. Maybe it's a bit of melted wire insulation somewhere back before the coils causing a short or something along those lines.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

hobbez posted:

Stupid question, here:

2006 Lexis GX470 ...
...8k!!!! A repair of this cost will essentially total the car.

Just pointing out that your Lexus GX is worth a lot to lots of people, including as pointed out already to people who might try and buy it off you. The Lexus GX is a Land Cruiser Prado, and the US market is the only one that gets the V8. It's an extremely desirable, incredibly well built and reliable vehicle that's very well respected.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What KakerMix said. I just checked my local Craigslist, $15-30k is the going rate for that vintage GX470 with ~200k miles, 2 of them mention a new timing belt. A BHPH lot nearby one as well for $30k.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dont listen to them, that Lexus will bankrupt you !Ill come get it and save you the heartbreak.