Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TheNamedSavior posted:

Meanwhile, ignore the amount of people in China who live in caves.

for someone who demands other people provide sources you sure are pulling a lot of poo poo out of your rear end with zero evidence for any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They are just playing dwarf fortress bro.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'd live in a cave

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
well tbf the ammount could be zero

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TheNamedSavior posted:

oh

you are a turd in a bowl, not a brain in a jar

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i am very concerned for the chinese people and the oppression they face, especially the savage cavemen

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'd live in a cave
ah, i see you're a man of culture as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGDm_mWtXmU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

TheNamedSavior posted:

Yes, it's the evil Communist party keeping people down, and certainly not the exploitation and forced drug dependency at the hands of the Capitalist powers that kept China impoverished for centuries, that they're only recently able to start addressing via massive poverty alleviation schemes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
from "Elections in China", by J. Bruce Jacobs, originally published in the Australian Journal of Chinese Affairs. It's from 1991, so I assume there may have been numerous reforms since then, but it's still an interesting read

I don't want to quote the whole thing, and it's a little complicated for me to summarize on my own, but the process reminds me of the Iowa caucus, or at least as how I understood it was conducted in 2020, in that the voter groups are fairly small, and there's a lot of in-group discussion before it leads to the nomination of any one candidate.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

*Watching wages in Guiyang go up literally more than 1000% in 15 years*
"Why are they treating these workers so badly!?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QsZVk8Am_E

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think cinnamon chat was better than this.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Also I'd ofc like them to bring more prosperity to the people living in the country, but thinking about it I realize also that I'm not sure if America would have as much tolerance for dirt-farmers as china does. Like I can't see us not having plowed over their houses to make megafarms decades ago, much less having them be a majority of our country.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

17 posts of melting down over Starfield criticism made in a span of 37 minutes. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

lmfao

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I Know that it's China and the scale is just completely different but it's always so shocking parties gain 60 and 50 seats a piece and still be only 2% of the entire seats.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

just lol that he's now hosed off back to the other thread with the conclusion that we support nuking Taiwan or something

what is it about fyad rules that breaks these guys brains

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

R. Guyovich posted:

for someone who demands other people provide sources you sure are pulling a lot of poo poo out of your rear end with zero evidence for any of it

to be fair, there actually is a village in china located entirely inside a cave with some 100 inhabitants or so. iirc the government offered to build housing for them outside but they refused the offer

so let us spare a thought for the approximately 0.00000007% of the chinese population that live in caves and cruelly had their wishes respected by the government

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

It's not a bit :catstare:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheNamedSavior posted:

yea imagine a nation where somewhere someone is living in a bad place for people to live, now to drive by my nearby overpass and smugly assume my national superiority

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheNamedSavior posted:

But can they play videogames there?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Isn't it part of Xi's "official" history that he lived in a cave for a bit? Also Mao's rebels lived and trained in the caves in Yan'an. Being a cave guy seems to make you extremely powerful

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

One of my favorite parts of all the "whatabout mistreated Chinese workers", "whatabout Chinese cavemen", whatabout the bloodsucking Chinese capitalist bourgeoisie" people is the underlying implication that they have the capacity/desire to resolve any of China's contradictions, real or imagined.

You can't do anything about this poo poo in your own neighborhood lmao

What's that Xi quote about westerners with full bellies and smooth brains?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by the way I've read all the material on freedom of speech in China, their treatment of Tibet, and their "reeducation" camps; and I think they're doing a great job! :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

by the way I've read all the material on freedom of speech in China, their treatment of Tibet, and their "reeducation" camps; and I think they're doing a great job! :)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

No one ever said China, or any AES state, is a paradise on Earth. We can be honest about the flaws in the PRC without supporting the imperialist powers.

Unless a liberal is present, then don't be honest, engage in whataboutism and ad homs until they gently caress off.

Evergreen post, really.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

CRT is stupid Frankfurt school bullshit lol

? ? it's an american law school thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cookie Cutter posted:

Isn't it part of Xi's "official" history that he lived in a cave for a bit? Also Mao's rebels lived and trained in the caves in Yan'an. Being a cave guy seems to make you extremely powerful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3aNVgbT3QA

3:18 best part: "surprise motherfucker!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tunnel Snakes rule

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
tankies itt are harassing joe biden for being neuroatypical and it's loving disgusting. the chinese live in caves like gollum from lord of the rings by the way.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

Tunnel Snakes rule
D&D is not gonna know what hits 'em

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's going on in this thread?

----------------------------------------------------------------

So that fat military nerd I mentioned earlier has a new video up. It was uploaded before Pelosi landed. He said something I haven't considered before. I just want to share a different POV.

* The PLAAF can shoo off the Pelosi C40, but it's not as easy as you think, because shooting down a plane is far easier than forcing a plane to change course. Over the Taiwanese space, PLA land based plane has some advantage over the USAF but not by much.

* There is also the difficulty of going around the Taiwan airspace to intercept Pelosi coming from the east, it would be easier to fly directly across Taiwan to intercept the plane but that would touch many political buttons. Going around require new PLAAF air tanker being part of the equation. That's what USAF want to see, new PLAAF planes radar profiles and operation depth. PLA doesn't want to show their cards in the sleeve yet.

* In the last day leading up to Pelosi shenanigan, the US side already showed their hands. FT article, WSJ article, Blinken speech, actual Taiwan hotel stay information from the Taiwanese side etc. Why is that? IMO this is part of the US (Blinken side of white house...maybe DOD...) wanted to show some goodwill. Basically secretly telegrammed "alright here is the schedule, if you want to do it, just be careful". But it only happened very late in the game. The US side can play the cat and mouse with the arrival. For example, send 3 C40 out at the same time. It can stretch the interception missions to the limit.

* In a way sending Pelosi to Taiwan is US testing Beijing's political will and military capability in the core interest of defending Taiwan. So it make more sense for Beijing to attack from the direction they are good at, not the direction the US want to see. Doing naval exercise is about testing Taiwanese military's defensive preparedness against a potential blockade.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

exmarx posted:

? ? it's an american law school thing

yeah but it’s in the same vein of useless criticism as the frankfurters even if they didn’t develop it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cookie Cutter posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

:hai:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

:china:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm lolin hard because I did not in one million years expect the melody for these lyrics to be so jolly
♫♫♫:):):) ♫♫♫:):):)

♫♫♫:):):) ♫♫♫:):):)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, more recently China fully signed he International Labor Organization’s (ILO) convention on Forced Labor and the Abolition of Forced Labor, the US has only signed 2 out of the 8 sections of the conventions.

Also, I am having a hard time finding data on child labor in present-day China, everything I see mentions data from 2010.