Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're very cool. Great party tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're very cool. Great party tbh.

Yeah, I really like the entire party

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How are people finding the cast? I'm seeing a lot of people talking about how boring and bland the main cast is and how it's the weakest cast out of any Xeno game, which is crazy to me when most of X's cast weren't really characters or if you count Xenogears instead of limiting the cast to Xenoblade, anyone not named Fei, Elly, Citan or Bart had zero reason to be in the party once their arc concluded.

Absolute nonense. They're easily the strongest cast of the lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It rules that you get the whole gang super early and since everyone's been around the whole game nobody feels left out of the party dynamic.

Its a good vibe for a jrpg party.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The cast are great and the game does a wonderful job of giving them all screentime.

The only folks I could think would find them bland are people expecting the wacky hijinks of XB2's group when this game is far closer to the first in tone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Xc3 might be my favorite rpg cast to date tbh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m like 20 hours in and I’ve just finished chapter 3 and it feels like half the game has been cutscenes full of the most painfully obvious exposition possible so far.

What chapter does it finally let you just play the game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Have you tried going off the beaten path, there's loads of stuff in Chapter 3. Three optional heroes, for one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that’s how I’ve spent 20 hours in the game so far lol

Even those feel like they come with like an extra half hour of cutscenes to pad the time out.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m like 20 hours in and I’ve just finished chapter 3 and it feels like half the game has been cutscenes full of the most painfully obvious exposition possible so far.

What chapter does it finally let you just play the game?

The post-game. I'm only partially joking, if you try to mainline the story you'll be tripping over cutscenes every twenty feet or so. Part of that problem probably has to do with the removal of heart to hearts so all that character development goes straight into the main story. The game is just very cutscene heavy in general to the point I'd be interested in seeing what the runtime of a "Xenoblade 3: The Movie" would come out to on YouTube, or else a comparison to 1 or 2.

Count me as someone who never got entirely sold on the cast, they weren't bad, just somewhat generic or archetypes from previous xenoblades.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the xenoblades are cutscene heavy tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like, it's not padding. Cutscenes a thing the devs clearly value and consider something worth investing time in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the cutscenes are the game op

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cutscenes and watching bars fill up, the Xenoblade experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/gaorush/status/1554193027920379904?s=21&t=T4PeCiF4XzAzWzN9B60D2g

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Party Miser posted:

hold zl and hit x. that's the default shortcut to go to the area map.
oh my god thank you so much

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"Man this game has so many cutscenes" I say as I load up my save file in a game made by Monolithsoft with "xeno" in the name

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If you think Xenoblade has too many cutscenes then Xenosaga would absolutely destroy you. Xenogears Disc 2 as well.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the xenoblades are cutscene heavy tbh

This has been a thing since Xenogears tbh

I knew what I signed up for in this series, and at least we’re past the point where cutscenes are solely more exposition of tech jargon for 30 minutes like the Saga games

MechaX fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 3, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaX posted:

This has been a thing since Xenogears tbh

I knew what I signed up for in this series, and at least we’re past the point where cutscenes are solely more exposition of tech jargon for 30 minutes like the Saga games

Honestly I could go for an hour of jargon, I might replay XS3 after this

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The localizers should be given gold medals for their work, I realize people not familiar with British English will be a little lost but gently caress it, it's incredibly rare I get to see my own language represented this way in a game.

Americans have everything else so let us have this series.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My only complaint with the game at all is that the levelling/enemy curve feels a bit off. I've been using bonus exp to level at every opportunity which at first I thought may have been an error because I'm always massively over-levelled for the zone itself, but then bosses are roughly around my level when I get to them. So I guess the game expects you to have less-than-zero problems with general world mobs and for you to only fight if you want?

Someone mentioned heart-to-hearts earlier and I realised while I certainly don't miss the blade gacha system I do kind do miss how you had to level their affinity with you and they gave quests to you to do, as well as the weird sky-fishing minigame. Affinity doesn't seem to be a game feature here, just a list of who you've met and who likes who. Does the game unlock any more non-combat features after Ch3?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah never use bonus experience is my advice

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can also turn off overkilling, which I've done, though it's a poor band-aid. Praying for level-down to feature in a QOL patch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How are people finding the cast? I'm seeing a lot of people talking about how boring and bland the main cast is and how it's the weakest cast out of any Xeno game, which is crazy to me when most of X's cast weren't really characters or if you count Xenogears instead of limiting the cast to Xenoblade, anyone not named Fei, Elly, Citan or Bart had zero reason to be in the party once their arc concluded.

The cast of 3 is so much better than any other Xenoblade game. I guess there are people disappointed that 3 isn't Xenoblade 2: 2.

Ardryn posted:

Part of that problem probably has to do with the removal of heart to hearts so all that character development goes straight into the main story.

There are a large number of optional scenes where the characters have conversations about random topics which are held at locations with heart shaped icons on the minimap. If those aren't heart to hearts then I don't know what is.

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned heart-to-hearts earlier and I realised while I certainly don't miss the blade gacha system I do kind do miss how you had to level their affinity with you and they gave quests to you to do, as well as the weird sky-fishing minigame. Affinity doesn't seem to be a game feature here, just a list of who you've met and who likes who. Does the game unlock any more non-combat features after Ch3?

I'm pretty sure that each class, or almost every class, has a second quest affiliated with it that you unlock down the line for the 11-20 ranks, so things like blade quests are kind of still there. You also do continue to get non combat features after chapter 3.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 3, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just chose to stomp everyone's balls. Sorry, main story thing at level 28, but I had to get that third fusion art no matter what, so now I'm level 40 and your balls are dust.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The one thing I wish every JRPG was is grindier, for sure.

If I don’t feel like I’m trying to play some dogshit freemium mobile game without spending any money then I don’t wanna know!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Also, shoutouts to the switch pro controller. I've been running it for like 33 hours and only charged it once at the end there after a few low battery notifications. It took me that long to do all of God of War 4 and I must've charged the PS5 controller 5 or 6 times.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Ardryn posted:

The post-game. I'm only partially joking, if you try to mainline the story you'll be tripping over cutscenes every twenty feet or so. Part of that problem probably has to do with the removal of heart to hearts so all that character development goes straight into the main story. The game is just very cutscene heavy in general to the point I'd be interested in seeing what the runtime of a "Xenoblade 3: The Movie" would come out to on YouTube, or else a comparison to 1 or 2.

Count me as someone who never got entirely sold on the cast, they weren't bad, just somewhat generic or archetypes from previous xenoblades.

I agree on both points. It's unexpectedly cutscene heavy. I don't have a ton of time to play the game each day and it feels like I'm getting repeatedly hijacked by lengthy cutscenes, many of which don't add a whole lot. I preferred the balance of gameplay to cutscenes in XB1, and I think Torna did a good job with that as well. Earlier games had more voiced dialogue boxes that you could flip through at your own pace. Feels like it's approaching Xenosaga territory and I don't like that. I've been alternating between story progression and fully exploring areas.

As for the cast, it's still early in the game to make a final judgment (ch 3). The party's interactions in 1 had a pretty natural/believable flow that I found refreshing for this genre. I didn't particularly care that the screen time was unbalanced. Despite all the cutscenes I don't feel a whole lot to grab onto yet in this one. Plenty of time for that to change.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with party AI or something? I'm going through entire fights where my healer isn't casting a single healing or buffing arte at all.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Alxprit posted:

Lotta people itt not pressing buttons and seeing what they do.

Also a lot of people not actually reading the tips that they unlock and then tell you about. Sheesh.
That shortcuts thing a whole bunch of people "missed" was pretty much rammed down your throat for like 10 mins straight - and then on loading screens to boot.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with party AI or something? I'm going through entire fights where my healer isn't casting a single healing or buffing arte at all.

That's just how it goes, the AI won't heal you when you need it but slap that poo poo when its off cooldown, if you want to control healing then you'll have to do it personally.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im going to say that this game is probably the xenoblade that reminds me the most of xenogears and its not just the piloting the robots part.

Also you are introduced to all of the main cast like 2 hours into the game. Its hard to flesh them out when most jRPGs tend to have an entire segment devoted to a character before they join the party.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

matryx posted:

Also a lot of people not actually reading the tips that they unlock and then tell you about. Sheesh.
That shortcuts thing a whole bunch of people "missed" was pretty much rammed down your throat for like 10 mins straight - and then on loading screens to boot.
the number of tips they throw in my face to tell me how to do something I already know is high enough that I am absolutely not reading anything they put on screen

it's FF13 levels of "all the info is in the Datalog :)" with absolute oversaturation of poo poo I'm never going to read because 95% of it tells me nothing and then the remaining 5% is absolutely critical and it's faster to just ask goons

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’ve really enjoyed the pace of fleshing out characters, plus they’re already all here. You get to know them as the characters get to know each other. In other games I have to wait until hour 50 to finally get the last character and THEN hopefully we get some heavy development. Here it feels more leisurely and natural.

I also don’t miss the absence of heart to hearts. For the same reason, really. I didn’t get to most of them because they forced party combinations I didn’t want or care about, but it’s the only way to get more development.

My only complaint is the lack of a de-leveling feature because woof I can I’m gonna be overleveling the crap out of the story doing all this cool side content.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Were you fighting large or multiple enemies? The AI likes to spread out a lot in those situations and that absolutely kneecaps your healers. They spend more time running between characters to cast their abilities, those abilities cover fewer of your party members and they wind up dying in really annoying, far away locations. I'm not sure what the solution is there other than manually controlling tanks and healers. It's really annoying on hard mode where you can kill bosses higher level than you if the party bunches up and get wiped by things 8 levels down if they spread out.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 3, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the number of tips they throw in my face to tell me how to do something I already know is high enough that I am absolutely not reading anything they put on screen

it's FF13 levels of "all the info is in the Datalog :)" with absolute oversaturation of poo poo I'm never going to read because 95% of it tells me nothing and then the remaining 5% is absolutely critical and it's faster to just ask goons

XBC3 doesn't hide plot critical information in its tutorials, it's not comparable to FF13's datalog at all. Also considering XBC2 was notorious for having poor tutorials you can't revisit and it actively lies to you, 3 fixing that problem with extensive tutorials, loading screen tips and the ability to practice those tutorials in the menu but you still don't know how to play because you're too lazy to put the minimum amount of effort into understanding the game isn't a problem with the game. It's a problem with you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like the bunch up command would be more useful if it didn't stop people doing stuff.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

turn off the TV posted:

Were you fighting large or multiple enemies? The AI likes to spread out a lot in those situations and that absolutely kneecaps your healers. They spend more time running between characters to cast their abilities, those abilities cover fewer of your party members and they wind up dying in really annoying, far away locations. I'm not sure what the solution is there other than manually controlling tanks and healers. It's really annoying on hard mode where you can kill bosses higher level than you if the party bunches up and get wiped by things 8 levels down if they spread out.

It was a story fight against thee people, and my team were stacked on top of each other. Eunie never cast a single heal or area buff thing. Tank just got pelted down over the whole fight and I had to restart it, twice, before she would actually do literally anything and I could get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Fortitude posted:

XBC3 doesn't hide plot critical information in its tutorials, it's not comparable to FF13's datalog at all. Also considering XBC2 was notorious for having poor tutorials you can't revisit and it actively lies to you, 3 fixing that problem with extensive tutorials, loading screen tips and the ability to practice those tutorials in the menu but you still don't know how to play because you're too lazy to put the minimum amount of effort into understanding the game isn't a problem with the game. It's a problem with you.
Hey, the drills are great, I have no complaints about those! I do have complaints about constant popups that have a couple sentences of text that boil down to "you can talk to a shopkeeper to buy gear". I only have so many brain cells and I'm not wasting them reading every single one of those. Turns out I missed some! And that's lovely or whatever but I absolutely think that's a systematic/design failure rather than an individual human being failure.

(which is like, probably because it's me making the mistake, or maybe a reflection of my political views)