Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've been having a problem with flickering on one of my monitors lately that i can't seem to solve.

i have a dual setup with an oldish 1440p 60 Hz display (Asus PB278Q from ~2015) and a newer 1440p 144 Hz display (LG 27GL83A from ~2020). i'm using an RTX 3080 on windows 10. both monitors are connected with display port cables. for some reason, whenever i set the LG display to 144 Hz in windows, the asus display flickers every few seconds.

if i go into the nvidia control panel and change the refresh rate on the asus monitor from 60 Hz to 59 Hz, the flickering goes away. this would be a good enough solution for me, except i can't seem to get it to stick. anytime i launch a game that messes with the other monitor's resolution or just randomly when the displays go to sleep and wake back up, the asus will revert to 60 Hz and i have to manually set it back to 59 again.

i have tried several different nvidia driver versions, different display port cables, and different output ports on my GPU and none of those made a difference. i tried swapping the asus with an older monitor and it did not flicker at 60 Hz. i've connected the asus to my macbook and my dell work laptop, and it does not flicker in either of those -- even when both the LG and asus are connected to one of those laptops at the same time (but both running at 60 Hz because the laptops don't support 144Hz)

this also did not happen on my previous GPU with the same monitors - a 1070 Ti.

i've pretty much given up and assume it's some weird incompatibility with the combination of my 3080, the asus monitor, and something windows is doing when the displays operate at different refresh rates. but, i figured i'd make a post and ask if anyone has any suggestions, because i'm out of ideas.

or, hell, i'd even be happy if anyone knows how i get windows and/or nvidia to stop reverting the refresh rate to 60 Hz instead of 59 on the asus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, if i can't fix the problem above, it may accelerate my plans to get a 4k display.

what 4k models i should be looking at this year? i think i'd like to stay at 27" and get something that supports gsync/freesync. i don't need professional quality colors and calibration, but i don't want garbage like the TN panels of olde that i used to use. it would become my main display, so i don't mind buying something mid to high end to get a nice screen to stare at all day. i think i'd like to stick with IPS, but willing to consider other panel types if IPS isn't the price/quality sweet spot anymore.

i would be using this for work and games. probably not a lot of movie watching, so HDR isn't a big deal, though it's certainly nice on my oled tv and phone when enabled. if it's gonna double the cost of the monitor, it's not worth it to me.

one thing i'm curious about, though -- are displays better these days about downscaling below their native resolution? like, if i drop a game's resolution to 1440 or 1080 on a 4k display, is it going to look all grainy and bad? that definitely happens on my older 1440 p monitor when i drop it to 1080, and to a lesser extent on the new 1440p monitor. i don't think i'll bump into this situation too often with my 3080 since it should handle 4k gaming, but there are some older games that don't scale the UI well and basically require you to drop the resolution. i'm wondering if that's going to look even worse starting from 4k native than it does with 1440p native.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I got flickering like on one of my monitors in a multi-monitor setup a while back, and it was a driver problem that Nvidia eventually fixed in a driver update. (which took them several months and multiple attempts to fix.) It would not surprise me to if this was another odd driver issue and Nvidia has still not fully fixed their flickering problems.

Anyway, at 27", the best 4K monitor out right now is probably going to be the Sony Inzone M9 for $900. Or out soon—I thought it was out now, but it's listed as "coming soon" everywhere. It's got a good quality panel and a mini LED backlight with a fairly low zone count but still effective at enhancing contrast. Honestly, I'm finding HDR to be really impressive in games that utilize it well, not just movies, but it does add quite a bit to the cost still.

Otherwise the LG 27GP950 has recently dropped from $900 to $700 (getting out of the way of the Inzone), which is a pretty good deal for a 160Hz 4K display with good picture quality and response times. Even cheaper would be one of the monitors using the 28" 144hz 4K panel from Innolux, such as the Gigabyte M28U. It's just $500 right now, which is the lowest it's ever been. This has some noticeable overshoot at 60 - 90-ish Hz no matter what overdrive setting you're using, but I've heard it's not too distracting, and it's hard to argue with that price.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyway, at 27", the best 4K monitor out right now is probably going to be the Sony Inzone M9 for $900. Or out soon—I thought it was out now, but it's listed as "coming soon" everywhere. It's got a good quality panel and a mini LED backlight with a fairly low zone count but still effective at enhancing contrast.

It seems like Sony is having trouble with sourcing or can't build up enough of a supply to debut this, I also thought they were on sale already. We've been trying to get one of these for my office and can't.

change my name fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 3, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks for the suggestions. watched the sony review and i'm not very impressed. seems like average performance overall aside from HDR, and 96 zones is just not enough. they're gonna be what, about 2" wide and 1" tall? i'll keep an eye on sales i guess, but don't think it's worth $900.

the M28U looks good enough for me, and closer to what i'd like to spend.

kinda disappointed that desktop monitors seem to be so far behind in HDR compared to what you can get on mobile/laptop/tv screens. i know there are options if you want to spend >$1k on a monitor, but no good options in the mid range yet. i guess i can understand why though -- it's a nice feature, but not essential, especially if you mostly use it in a bright office.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Here's another video showing what the 96 dimming zones on the Inzone can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWTFF_Uoldo

It's better than I would've thought, but yeah, $900 is steep. At that price, you'd be better off going up to $1100 or so for the Neo G7. Samsung discounts their monitors pretty aggressively too, so we may see the Neo G7 for $900 or less during Black Friday. So I'd really like to see these basic FALD displays at more like $600 - $700.

For now though, getting the M28U will be the better move for most people. $500 is what people were paying for premium 1440p ~180Hz monitors about 18 months ago (and they're still paying more for 240+ hz displays), so that's a surprisingly good price for a 4K high-refresh gaming monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 3, 2022

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
My sister's buying a new gaming PC and monitor, and asked me for recommendations. I've narrowed it down to three decently priced options and am wondering if someone here might have some insight as to which one of these is the "best":

HP X27q 27", 279 euros

MSI 27" Optix G273QF, 279 euros

Lenovo G27q-20 27", 249 euros

All of these look very similar to me, 165Hz IPS 1440p displays. I know the X27q was recommended by Hardware Unboxed so I'm leaning towards that, but the Optix is currently discounted from 400 euros to 279 so I'm wondering if it's significantly better in some way. The Lenovo is slightly cheaper at 249 euros but I don't really know anything about it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I wouldn't give much weight to list prices. Especially in the monitor market, the current promo/discount is a better reflection of current market value. Something like 75% of monitors in retail are sold on promo, so basically no one pays list price and it means almost nothing.

That G27q-20 will check the size, resolution, refresh rate and panel type boxes but will be pretty barebones otherwise. I would check Nvidia's site to see if it has their gsync compatibility blessing if that's what you are leaning towards.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
Good point about the price. X27q reportedly supports g-sync and is well reviewed so I'm just going to tell her to get that, I think.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The X27q is definitely a good budget buy, I've seen less on the Lenovo but it's almost certainly nearly identical. I'd probably prefer the HP just because it's more of a known quantity, but $30 is $30.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I ended up buying the LG 32UN650-W so a 32" 4K IPS monitor. There's a 30 day returns policy which gives me a fair amount of time to try it out and see how well it works.

There seem to be many more monitor options in the US than here in the UK. I'd have probably bought the 32UL500-W if I'd been there. Oh well. This one has adjustable height and an IPS panel rather than a VA panel.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
32” 4K is sick as hell not just for games but if you’re a computer toucher, being able to have the equivalent of four 16” 1080p screens is dope.

I highly recommend DisplayFusion Pro for screen splitting software when you get into multiple monitors/larger monitors. It’s such a small thing, but having built in organization just feels so good and saves a lot of little moments in during the day.

It plays nice with just about everything I’ve seen (used it for a couple years now). You can get it on Steam sale for $8, but it’s totally worth the full $30. You can split your screens however you want. Highly recommend with no reservations.

https://www.displayfusion.com/

E: I know I sound like an ad, but I had contacted their customer service department to see if I could use my Steam license on my work computer and they just gave me a new standalone license, so I try to promote the program wherever I can (and because it is legit good).

A question:

How long did it take for 4K monitors to be a non-meme thing after 1440 came out, seven years-ish?

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 6, 2022

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tehinternet posted:

32” 4K is sick as hell not just for games but if you’re a computer toucher, being able to have the equivalent of four 16” 1080p screens is dope.

I highly recommend DisplayFusion Pro for screen splitting software when you get into multiple monitors/larger monitors. It’s such a small thing, but having built in organization just feels so good and saves a lot of little moments in during the day.

It plays nice with just about everything I’ve seen (used it for a couple years now). You can get it on Steam sale for $8, but it’s totally worth the full $30. You can split your screens however you want. Highly recommend with no reservations.

https://www.displayfusion.com/

E: I know I sound like an ad, but I had contacted their customer service department to see if I could use my Steam license on my work computer and they just gave me a new standalone license, so I try to promote the program wherever I can (and because it is legit good).

A question:

How long did it take for 4K monitors to be a non-meme thing after 1440 came out, seven years-ish?

How does this compare to FancyZones?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I don’t have experience with Fancy Zones, personally. Hadn’t heard of it until now. Display Fusion Pro was recommended to me by a goon at some point, hadn’t heard of it either until then.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
FancyZones is sick as hell. Profiles for different layouts, hotkeys to switch em. Seems lightweight enough but who knows.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm torn right now between springing for a 32", an ultrawide, or a dual-monitor setup for my primary gaming/work setup. Too many options out there.

Thinking about splurging on this ultrawide, the Samsung CRG9, but I have no sense of what's reasonable in the current buying environment

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I'm torn right now between springing for a 32", an ultrawide, or a dual-monitor setup for my primary gaming/work setup. Too many options out there.

Thinking about splurging on this ultrawide, the Samsung CRG9, but I have no sense of what's reasonable in the current buying environment

Don't get the CRG9. It has a pretty crappy panel that smears a lot. If you're getting a 32:9 monitor, get the Odyssey G9 instead since it has a way better panel, and it's often just $100 more when on sale. Though honestly, unless you play sims and want a seamless double-wide FoV, I'd just go with dual 16:9 monitors. Segmenting tasks to discrete monitors is quite convenient, and you can for instance have a game playing in full-screen one and a youtube video playing in full-screen on the other. Samsung's ultrawides support "picture-by-picture" which allows you to use them as two monitors basically, but I don't know, going with two 16:9 1440p monitors seems like the simpler and cheaper solution. If you do play sims though, particularly racing sims, having that extra wide FoV with the edges of the screen stretching into your periphery can be really nice. So can having an entire plane cockpit on screen at once, though the curve sorta works against you if you want to sit off-center.

The other option is to get a nice 4K 32" screen and then get a cheap 27" 1440p screen that sits in portrait mode. That's what I'm doing right now, and it's a nice combination. You can have a wiki, a youtube video, and a discord chat open at the same time on the portrait monitor while a game is running on your main monitor for the ultimate ADHD experience. You get a lot of screen real estate without the setup dominating your desk too much because the rotated display reduces the horizontal footprint by a lot.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Or just buy everything and have all the things. Bing bong, so simple

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my solution to the extreme girth of my double 27" monitor setup is to use a dual monitor arm, and the left monitor hangs almost completely off the edge of the desk

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Not a Children posted:

I've been resisting for awhile but finally caved and am separating my work space from my 'gaming' space entirely.
I'm lucky to have the spare bedroom. But I resisted for so long because you basically have to double everything (that work won't provide themselves).
I think in the long run this will be more mentally healthy for me though.

Anyways, I ended up getting dual 32" 4k 16:9 displays for work. My old monitor will go into the gaming space until Black Friday in which I'll try and score a C2 OLED.
Besides the obvious benefit of having dedicated spaces for work and gaming it also means I don't have to compromise on the best displays for work vs gaming either.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 6, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

About as long as it took enough people IIT to pick up 3xxx-series GPUs so they could game at 4k at more than like 15fps.

4k for content creation was not-a-meme basically the day 4k was released, and for office/productivity maybe two years later when the price-premium came way down.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I don't game. I work from home as a software quality engineer. I want to have a more screen real estate so I can keep API docs and other materials open. I'm thinking of replacing a pair of existing monitors with 32" units. I am not sure whether I should get QHD (1440P) monitors or get 4K displays.

Right now I have two 24" 1080 monitors with the scaling at 100%. I also have a 14" 1080P display on the laptop I use for work with the scaling set to 125%. I am happy enough with the clarity of the external displays, but I wish there was an option for something like 112% on the laptop display. I am using a dock that came with the laptop (Latitude 7420 with an i7 and Iris Xe graphics) so I am pretty sure it can support a pair of 4K displays at 60 Hz.

Some napkin math says the 24" monitors have 92 ppi and a 32" QHD display would have the same pixel density. I'm running Windows, so having different scaling factors on different monitors isn't ideal, but isn't the end of the world. I have a feeling that if I was to run a 32" 4K monitor with 125% scaling I would find it annoying. I do back-end testing, so color accuracy isn't a critical part of my work. It looks like the price difference between a mainstream 32" QHD and a 4K model is only about $30, so I just want to get the one that will work better.

Anyone else have experience with 32" displays for work?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 8, 2022

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

PBCrunch posted:

I don't game. I work from home as a software quality engineer. I want to have a more screen real estate so I can keep API docs and other materials open. I'm thinking of replacing a pair of existing monitors with 32" units. I am not sure whether I should get QHD (1440P) monitors or get 4K displays.

Right now I have two 24" 1080 monitors with the scaling at 100%. I also have a 14" 1080P display on the laptop I use for work with the scaling set to 125%. I am happy enough with the clarity of the external displays, but I wish there was an option for something like 112% on the laptop display. I am using a dock that came with the laptop (Latitude 7420 with an i7 and Iris Xe graphics) so I am pretty sure it can support a pair of 4K displays at 60 Hz.

Some napkin math says the 24" monitors have 92 ppi and a 32" QHD display would have the same pixel density. I'm running Windows, so having different scaling factors on different monitors isn't ideal, but isn't the end of the world. I have a feeling that if I was to run a 32" 4K monitor with 125% scaling I would find it annoying. I do back-end testing, so color accuracy isn't a critical part of my work. It looks like the price difference between a mainstream 32" QHD and a 4K model is only about $30, so I just want to get the one that will work better.

I just got dual 32" 4k displays for work and I'm really happy with them.
I use 125% scaling as I found 100% a little too small and 150% too big.

I was debating between 27" and 32" myself. But I was originally coming from a single ultrawide display and came to the conclusion that dual 27" would be a down-grade / side-grade from an ultrawide so decided that 32" would be a better fit for me. 27" would be giving up too much vertical space coming from a 38" ultrawide whereas I gained vertical space going to a 32" 16:9.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Trip report. I have had a Gigabyte M27Q since late last year, and just now bought a G27Q to pair with it. Don't let the looks fool you, they're different monitorys. the G27Q has a mugh thicker (still very tiny) bezel, and the VESA mount makes the monitor sit about an inch lower than the other. The bezel isn't that important to me, but the monitor heights are frustrating.

HOWEVER, I can't really tell if I have an 'updated' version or not, which may have changed the back side. My M27Q is definitely a 1.x revision, and that may play a role.

Either way, still loving fantastic monitors for the price, but if you're getting two, pair them up, being minor model differences seem to make some pretty annoying differences. This may not be as bad using the stands, but who has time for those?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

As a fellow software guy, my vote is strongly with 4k on the grounds that more real estate is more better.

Also you can set a custom scaling size for monitors if you care to--go to Settings -> Display -> scroll down to Advanced scaling settings (under Scale and layout) and there's a box to put in whatever you want between 100-500%.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

PBCrunch posted:

I don't game

Get 4k.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

I’ve got two 32” 4K displays and a 34” in 2K Ultrawide in the center for whatever I’m working on at the moment. I’m a computer toucher too and I’ve got my screens setup as follows left to right:

Left (M32U 4K #1): Remote into on-prem device full screen, split for AD work or testing automation on-prem

Center: AW3418 2K ultrawide: split 1:2, Postman will be open in the first third, browser takes up the second

Right: (M32U 4K #2): split into a half on the left side and quarters on the right. The half will have whatever documentation I’m looking at open, the quarters have Outlook and Teams respectively

So yeah, two 32” 4K monitors are more than enough IMO, especially if you’re not doing work where you need to remote in somewhere all the time (meaning that you’d want a third monitor for quality of life).

I would strongly recommend 32” 4K monitors. Everything also has the benefit of looking sharp as poo poo on them and that makes me feel good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The M27Q-P already down to $265. Sale at Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Good deal. It has marginally better performance than the M27Q except with a normal RGB panel instead of BGR. It's now competing against the HP X27q (currently $250), but it may be worth the extra $15 for having a good built-in sRGB mode (something Gigabyte is always good at). Also apparently HP has been doing some panel swapping bullshit on the X27q.

edit: Though, I'm watching HUB's review again, and apparently brightness is limited to 160 nits in the sRGB mode which is rather dim, and a confusing choice from Gigabyte. That's what novideo_srgb is for, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing to be aware of with the X27q is that it doesn't have an sRGB mode and it has an oversaturated color palette in all modes, but that can be fixed with calibration or with this: https://github.com/ledoge/novideo_srgb

I see they've updated that program to work with ICC profiles, which is great because it then turns into a driver-level way to implement those (hardware accelerated games/video ignore ICC profiles usually, but shouldn't with this). The ICC option will also correct lovely gamma curves.

If you're on AMD, there's a hidden driver setting you can use, described here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/taming-the-wide-gamut-using-srgb-emulation/
Finally got around to using this, had been using a random ICC profile that I downloaded from a Youtube review.

sRGB colors are so flat compared to my iPhone 13 Pro or QLED TV. I guess if they're more accurate, that's what matters, especially for something like buying clothes online.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The M27Q-P already down to $265. Sale at Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

of all the motherfucking goddamn poo poo.

e: it's back up to 279, but still.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

of all the motherfucking goddamn poo poo.

e: it's back up to 279, but still.

$279.99 with a $15 promo code = $264.99

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

$279.99 with a $15 promo code = $264.99

I'll probably buy another M27Q and return this G27.

e: To be fair, the G27Q is only 239 with no codes as well. Just loving sucks I ordered mine the week before the sale happened.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012015?Item=N82E16824012015

e2: Just saw this fucker (3 monitor stand) for $89, half off for another hour:
https://www.newegg.com/huanuo-hn-ts3w-n-triple-monitor-stand/p/15Z-01XB-00095?Item=9SIAJDSADR6557

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 10, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

not sure i understood your situation right, but if you ordered a G27 a week ago and it's cheaper now, contact customer support and ask for a price match

i've never done that at newegg, but i've done it a couple times with amazon and bestbuy and as long as it's in the return window they do it, because the alternative (you returning it) is much much worse for them.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

DrDork posted:

Also you can set a custom scaling size for monitors if you care to--go to Settings -> Display -> scroll down to Advanced scaling settings (under Scale and layout) and there's a box to put in whatever you want between 100-500%.

Here is some Windows Bull poo poo. You can specify a custom scaling under the advanced scaling settings... but that custom scale applies to all the monitors. So you can either have different scaling settings on each monitor OR a custom scale, but not both. And of course switching custom scale on or off requires a log out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Man, that is some bullshit. Looks like my normal go-to to fix dumb Windows display stuff (DisplayFusion) acknowledged doing custom per-monitor scaling years ago would be a real good idea, but still hasn't actually implemented it.

How dumb.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

Here is some Windows Bull poo poo. You can specify a custom scaling under the advanced scaling settings... but that custom scale applies to all the monitors. So you can either have different scaling settings on each monitor OR a custom scale, but not both. And of course switching custom scale on or off requires a log out.

It's also super annoying that you can't set your primary monitor in windows 11 and then not have the taskbar display on it. To get around this stupid behavior and how some games only bother to take display information from the primary monitor, i'd have to set my C2 OLED to primary but I also don't want to burn my taskbar in on it

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Windows and feature regression, name a more iconic duo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you successfully hide the taskbar a sliver always peeks out unless you full screen which is aesthetically a hideous design decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

which is aesthetically a hideous design decision

I feel like this describes a lot of the choices Microsoft makes. Just in general.