Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you argue with them they just spew out reddit memes. @_@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok2d7ov_pTU

Katherine did another xinjiang border town travel vid. Lots of cool scenery and chilling with tajik people

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol anarchists.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I woke up to 300 new pages in this thread and thought a blockade had started, instead some poo poo lib from d&d was having a tantrum how disappointing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OK baizuo posted:

I woke up to 300 new pages in this thread and thought a blockade had started, instead some poo poo lib from d&d was having a tantrum how disappointing

it is kinda starting, you seen those embargos?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Born in a cadre
Raised in a cave
Achieving communism
Is all that I crave

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OK baizuo posted:

it took me almost two pages to be disappointed that someone wasn't doing an elaborate syq gimmick overnight and a liberal was in fact indeed making GBS threads into the thread nonstop

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dante80 posted:

Generally speaking most Taiwanese people support maintaining the status quo, because they already are (or feel they are) de facto indepedent (whatever that means for their daily lives).
Any change in any direction is pretty scary if you factor in the context and the particulars at hand.
Unification imo got a hit with what happened in Hong Kong, and with old people dying as time passes.

That said, arguably there will be an inflection point on the PRC side where there will probably be a push to officially resolve the issue (Taiwanese as an autonomous “country” inside the Chinese nation). The question is though do the people who generally support the status quo find “creeping” de jute unification acceptable enough if their daily lives don’t change?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ardennes posted:

That said, arguably there will be an inflection point on the PRC side where there will probably be a push to officially resolve the issue (Taiwanese as an autonomous “country” inside the Chinese nation). The question is though do the people who generally support the status quo find “creeping” de jute unification acceptable enough if their daily lives don’t change?

Posted this on another thread.

My understanding is that PRC wants a peaceful re-unification with Taiwan and an end to the civil war.
They are going to wait for it to happen, and in a way have been waiting for decades.
They are not going to wait forever though, and peaceful re-unification is not the ONLY possible option for them.
The more they wait, the stronger and more influential they become (militarily, economically etc), so the status quo gets eroded with each year going by.

I'd wager the problem for many Taiwanese people, regarding their daily lives at least, is not the end result (unification or independence). It is how they move from the status quo to it. That's the really scary stuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing is that yeah Taiwanese are pro status quo and the people that want true reunification are mostly older people but at the same time the younger people are becoming increasingly employed by China. Economic downturn, housing issues, etc in Taiwan contrasted against ever improving chinese conditions could end up with people more willing to accept being closer to china.

But at the same time I dont think they'd want to go the Hong Kong route after what happen there, which is dumb because that unrest wouldn't have happened if people knew not to trust the US state department.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

fart simpson posted:

after getting tired of this thread he tried bitching about us in the d&d china thread and got immediately probed

that's why even the most insane cranks shouldn't post in DAD and should post here, for our entertainment

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Honest Thief posted:

i figured some higher numbers for unification, i dunno, seems like an untenable situation

well, notice what happened for support for 'maintain status quo but move towards unification' and 'maintain status quo but move towards independence' between 2018 and 2019. independence immediately is still kind of a fringe belief here, but the hong kong protests really pushed people away from unification. i feel like there were two kinds of people who supported unification - a small hardcore of people with strong connections to the mainland/CCP and those who believed that 'one country, two systems' was possible in taiwan. after 2019 the second group basically evaporated which is what you can see in that graph. it was also fascinating watching that shift happen in the middle of a presidential election campaign. after the crackdown happened, han guo-yu - who was the more pro-china candidate - immediately lost a significant amount of support and it all transferred over to tsai. like the two candidates basically swapped polling numbers almost overnight.

it's also worth noting that quite a lot of people who 'support the status quo' do so because they believe china would invade immediately if a formal declaration of independence was made, which, let's be honest, is probably exactly what would happen

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

that's why even the most insane cranks shouldn't post in DAD and should post here, for our entertainment

:hmmyes: hard agree lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

DiscountDildos posted:

One of my favorite parts of all the "whatabout mistreated Chinese workers", "whatabout Chinese cavemen", whatabout the bloodsucking Chinese capitalist bourgeoisie" people is the underlying implication that they have the capacity/desire to resolve any of China's contradictions, real or imagined.

You can't do anything about this poo poo in your own neighborhood lmao

What's that Xi quote about westerners with full bellies and smooth brains?

Yeah I think the key here is that when people say stuff like this and then assume it implies 'so, the CCP must be toppled', despite there never being any halfway plausible pathway proposed to this leading to better lives for Chinese workers (or fewer people living in caves), instead of the opposite, as the fall of the USSR should have proven to everyone

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

There latest b liberal outburst made me realize its been maybe 20 years since the last time I heard there talking point agaisnt China, Vietnam and Cuba being that they don't have independent unions and instead are all "forced" into State controlled unions. Funny how the killing blow for unions in America killed off that talking point.

As for Taiwanese independence, and the status quo being these most popular option in Taiwan, is it just possible that its just a side effect we see in every capitalist hellscape where we know the status quo sucks, but alternatives are scary and unsure so progr default to supporting that because it's the devil they know?

Like I see the US and how everyone here thsts not in the upper class knows its poo poo awful but they still support the same politicians making their lives miserable. Than again its not like American elections are actually free, fair, open affairs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah I think the key here is that when people say stuff like this and then assume it implies 'so, the CCP must be toppled', despite there never being any halfway plausible pathway proposed to this leading to better lives for Chinese workers (or fewer people living in caves), instead of the opposite, as the fall of the USSR should have proven to everyone

There isn't even an actionable plan to topple the CCP, it's pure fantasy. Rather than negotiate we'll simply destroy them - in the meantime no progress is made because nothing can ever be done until somebody like Nancy Pelosi wants to become a legend and force the issue.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Lol anarchists.

hey i did not even post yet

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dante80 posted:

Posted this on another thread.

My understanding is that PRC wants a peaceful re-unification with Taiwan and an end to the civil war.
They are going to wait for it to happen, and in a way have been waiting for decades.
They are not going to wait forever though, and peaceful re-unification is not the ONLY possible option for them.
The more they wait, the stronger and more influential they become (militarily, economically etc), so the status quo gets eroded with each year going by.

I'd wager the problem for many Taiwanese people, regarding their daily lives at least, is not the end result (unification or independence). It is how they move from the status quo to it. That's the really scary stuff.

I would say a lot of it is how the PRC uses its leverage and the sort of demands it will make. I think they know demanding capitulation is only going to cause chaos and a possible confrontation, but at the same time, they do need certain things from Taiwan including sea control and a de jure end to the Civil War.

The issue obviously is the US absolutely is opposed to this, and the Taiwanese people are stuck in the middle. I do think the breaking point is still a ways off but I will think some type of push will happen.

As far as HK, it was clear, there was going to be a cost to putting down the localists. I think Beijing fully expected it but that ending the localists was going to be the necessary short term choice.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The most infuriating thing about this is the way Americans just impose their own thoughts and attitudes on a complicated situation. What Taiwanese believe and want, or even the actually existing diplomatic state of the issue doesn't matter. Taiwan is independent country and that's that. We have to let the navy and air force poison as much of Taiwan as it takes to make them "independent."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerebral Bore posted:

it kinda owns that some rube can go on a multipage meltodown in cspam and people just laugh at them, but make one whiny post in dnd and it's an instant probe for you

It’s because we are pro censorship and anti free speech.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/yin_sura/status...8980%2Fpage-284

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most infuriating thing about this is the way Americans just impose their own thoughts and attitudes on a complicated situation. What Taiwanese believe and want, or even the actually existing diplomatic state of the issue doesn't matter. Taiwan is independent country and that's that. We have to let the navy and air force poison as much of Taiwan as it takes to make them "independent."

In many ways, it isn’t any different than the British opposing colonial desires on the edges of their empire, the desire of the locals explicitly don’t matter.

Nevertheless, I do think Taiwan’s situation is very tricky. The PRC is obviously playing the slow game (although they are showing a bit of the stick), but the US very clearly is going to do everything possible to make sure a peaceful resolution doesn’t happen since there no way for it to work in their favor. It is the sole reason Pelosi showed up in the first place, to provoke a response.

Edit: a “mini” blockade it is (also I think arguably an act of war, just saying… or rather a resumption of hostilities between the PRC and the ROC).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Aug 3, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized we're coming up on another anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and that's gonna start another round of The Discourse again

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i read the hersey piece again couple days ago

good literature

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

There latest b liberal outburst made me realize its been maybe 20 years since the last time I heard there talking point agaisnt China, Vietnam and Cuba being that they don't have independent unions and instead are all "forced" into State controlled unions. Funny how the killing blow for unions in America killed off that talking point.

As for Taiwanese independence, and the status quo being these most popular option in Taiwan, is it just possible that its just a side effect we see in every capitalist hellscape where we know the status quo sucks, but alternatives are scary and unsure so progr default to supporting that because it's the devil they know?

Like I see the US and how everyone here thsts not in the upper class knows its poo poo awful but they still support the same politicians making their lives miserable. Than again its not like American elections are actually free, fair, open affairs

Im going to use Puerto Rico as an example since Im originally from the island and saw things unfold there. Status quo colonialism was always the top choice for most puerto ricans until the economic reality hit and the island went bankrupt.

Now most favor statehood, because the economic reality is that being a state is the most advantageous position you could be in the short term. Theres still proponents for the ELA and a splinter that want an enhanced ELA (ELA is the current colonial system) but they are now less than the majority. Still more than independence though.

Why were so many people in favor of colonialism? Fear marketing for the most part. Its also convenient for all parties to just be a grey mess politically with the only defining factor for the parties being either they are Pro Statehood/StatusQuo/Independence

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
How is membership in the CPC decided?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol time to see if it stops after day 4

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
drat, another 120 pages of the meltdown. and he got probed in d&d? lmao

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

My bet is this is extended to a week or just long enough to cause a quick spike in prices in goods and energy. A quick look at the consequences of they allow the British envoy to visit.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
anarchist yells at communists, runs to the liberals for comfort, immediately gets 360 noscoped by a nazi

another victim of communism smdh

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jeff Fatwood posted:

anarchist yells at communists, runs to the liberals for comfort, immediately gets 360 noscoped by a nazi

he breached containment and had to be put down before he spread it to the rest of the colony

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

caelxii posted:

My bet is this is extended to a week or just long enough to cause a quick spike in prices in goods and energy. A quick look at the consequences of they allow the British envoy to visit.

Can't find a source for this, so take it with a grain of salt. I think that the chatter would be pretty loud by now if this was true.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

yugioh mishima posted:

well, notice what happened for support for 'maintain status quo but move towards unification' and 'maintain status quo but move towards independence' between 2018 and 2019. independence immediately is still kind of a fringe belief here, but the hong kong protests really pushed people away from unification. i feel like there were two kinds of people who supported unification - a small hardcore of people with strong connections to the mainland/CCP and those who believed that 'one country, two systems' was possible in taiwan. after 2019 the second group basically evaporated which is what you can see in that graph. it was also fascinating watching that shift happen in the middle of a presidential election campaign. after the crackdown happened, han guo-yu - who was the more pro-china candidate - immediately lost a significant amount of support and it all transferred over to tsai. like the two candidates basically swapped polling numbers almost overnight.

it's also worth noting that quite a lot of people who 'support the status quo' do so because they believe china would invade immediately if a formal declaration of independence was made, which, let's be honest, is probably exactly what would happen

People keep using the HK 19 as an reason (like literally every Taiwanese I see online). It's really an excuse they find for themselves. What I am saying is, without HK 19 they would have waited for another excuse. Almost none of them were looking for the positive signs from mainland to change their minds to be more favorable to unification, they were only waiting for signs to support independence. This negative signs frankly could have been number of things, such as China cranking down on Xinjiang unrest circa 2010-14(?) People just didn't have smartphone on hands to record videos.

Separated state just don't willingly want to become part of another state, historically. Only example you will find is Germany unification, and in that example the weaker half was not a democratic state. People who have freedom to block government actions (like how Taiwanese had the freedom to block the nuclear plant and stab themselves, freely), just won't want to become part of another state, willingly.

Lower your status from a nation state to a province lose soo many free poo poo. You can have your separated trade policy; you can have your own domain to whore out; you can become a tax haven and make bank; so many unwritten benefits in the current nation state system. Going from a state to a province is like going from MLB major league bench to work hard in the minor league, and ride loving buses all day. On top of that, all the anti China nations (just an example, India) have to do is fund NGOs to change like 10% of the public opinion on unification.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

let’s fuckin gooo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Don't think any Indian government has anything to do with changing Taiwanese opinions given that India was the second country to recognize the PRC as legitimate.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
did anything cool happen since last night, lots of posts and I don’t want to miss a thing but I’m also lazy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

did anything cool happen since last night, lots of posts and I don’t want to miss a thing but I’m also lazy

no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that guy freaked out in here for a while and then went to d&d and got immediately probed. thats it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

wondering whether the show about gay monster hunters and one's an evil wizard and they're literally on the verge of making out and everyone knows, but they don't, is more thrilling than if they actually did, and thus more popular than if they were just making out in every episode

listen to me, there's an aristotelian or confucian logic to this

edit: see xena the warrior princess

i dont get why the ccp would only censor the tv version but not the original novel