Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

But... but she didn't get the muffins from a landfill. She got them from a store. And again, nothing actually happened.

Yeah, this is incoherent. It's not a pyramid scheme at all, because it actually provided physical products that people bought and sold and were satisfied with. There was no reason to refund money to anyone, since no one other than Charlotte was shown having a problem with what Heart was doing, and no one actually wanted a refund until they created and spread an elaborate lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (January 24-30, 1983)

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Sep 10, 1953)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd buy that old dude a round for the good story

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Those are as easy to ignore as the emails.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

OK, so, 1.) Wilbur hosed up again (lol); and 2.) SHE TOOK HIM BACK AFTER THE SHIP THING

The Phantom

Uh oh: death hallucinations

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Still nothing for the 31st, but I have not given up!

Apartment 3-G

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How does a Phantom* date, anyway?

*for the Ghost Who Likes Long Walks!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 3, 2022

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 8, 1919

And He Did! July 22, 1919

Cat Tales June 23, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 16, 1936

Mopsy February 25, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 9, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 5, 1952

Those Were the Days September 14, 1961

Wee Pals September 8, 1966

Dogbert July 6, 1967

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

Gotta say, the Red Herring is a pretty slick name for a boat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 11, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 10-11, 1992)

Watterson was a prophet who had visions of the 2010s and 20s and expressed them in comic form.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Watterson was a prophet who had visions of the 2010s and 20s and expressed them in comic form.

Or more likely we got a head start in building Hellworld that is only apparent in retrospect.

Our Boarding House (July 13-15, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (September 29-October 1, 1919)

Little Lefty (February 11-14, 1937)

So we're just going to ignore the whole extortion thing from yesterday? Okay, if you say so.

Blondie From Zero (August 1-3, 1932)

Ran out of gas before I got to the ducks, sorry.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 3, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Slammy posted:

The composition on this one is a bit odd. There's no automatic way to read the signs in the "correct" order. Feels like they should have the America Phooy sign being first into the plane, or else Down With Capitalism being last out. Then they'd read the same way.2

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...man, Cat Tales makes me feel sad.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 26-28, 1939)

My mother's parents were both physicians that practiced out of their home on Verree Road in Fox Chase, PA (now a suburb of Philadelphia). Mom told many stories of trading care for food during the Depression.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 26, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This was probably the Bad Machinery storyline I enjoyed the most and it's great to see it again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I mean...so what if he's getting a ton of food? He has to sleep sometime. And the rabbit council can sleep in shifts so they can outlast him. Once he falls asleep, he's no longer chewing, no longer has the floor, and they can move on to new business. Though I suppose the rabbit council are just going to become idiots so that the protagonist can win.

Mister Beeg posted:

So the first like, two or three posts of this comic, I thought it was pretty bad. I didn't really say anything because I didn't want to be overly negative since this comic doesn't really deserve it (it was mostly just bland and the jokes didn't land well), but I did want to say the last couple of posts it feels like McCormick really got into the groove and the jokes have gotten a lot better. So I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. Arnold is definitely a little poo poo, worse than Nate (as much as I hate to admit it) but not quite as bad as Calvin. I'm starting to see why Richard Thompson praised it.

Murdstone posted:

OK, so, 1.) Wilbur hosed up again (lol); and 2.) SHE TOOK HIM BACK AFTER THE SHIP THING

Honestly I can't even feel pity or anger at Stella. If she's loving stupid enough to take Wilbur back after all that, she deserves everything she gets.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the first like, two or three posts of this comic, I thought it was pretty bad. I didn't really say anything because I didn't want to be overly negative since this comic doesn't really deserve it (it was mostly just bland and the jokes didn't land well), but I did want to say the last couple of posts it feels like McCormick really got into the groove and the jokes have gotten a lot better. So I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. Arnold is definitely a little poo poo, worse than Nate (as much as I hate to admit it) but not quite as bad as Calvin. I'm starting to see why Richard Thompson praised it.

Yeah, within the first year McCormick really got a hang of the strip, especially once the humor got more and more surreal and bizarre. And gross; a lot of later strips have gross-out humor (abet tame by modern standards)

Also, if you think Arnold is a little poo poo NOW, oh ho ho. You ain't seeing nothing yet.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 3, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I think a World War II era military motif would be better for this than a generic medieval kingdom.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Are these just written by an algorithm now?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah most of the Arnold strips have been meh for me, but this:

Mister Beeg posted:

This has potential.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hahahahaha

"Steve, we've been told Dustin reads differently from what we think, try to ease up on Ed giving him poo poo"
"Can do, boss!"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 27, 1952)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wow, the art in L-Innsikt is steadily improving.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He was a Baby Boomer who'd be complaining about kids these days getting participation trophies had he kept his comic running longer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I was half right that dad is who breaks this up, but I guess I didn't give the Evanses credit that dad might use the internet.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kid Fenris posted:

He was a Baby Boomer who'd be complaining about kids these days getting participation trophies had he kept his comic running longer.

Yeah, I still like the C&H strips and I can see how you can read them (especially the first one) as making fun of conservative anti-intellectualism, but he was almost certainly doing a mockery of "we want kids to feel special and good about themselves" which was a particular spot of conservative ire at the time and led directly into "participation trophy" discourse.

People sometimes take all the well-deserved praise for C&H and ignore Watterson's whole deal was being a weird little crank.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

"Don't only"
"Unwanted friends wannabe"

This is gibberish; This man had a stroke and nobody's helping him.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vargo posted:

People sometimes take all the well-deserved praise for C&H and ignore Watterson's whole deal was being a weird little crank.
Factually correct, but since a major part of it was him being a weird little environmentalist crank he still probably hasn't voted GOP.

Also I'm still trying hard to read Arnold, I really am, but the inertia of the character art keeps stalling me and my eyes slide right off it. I've never seen characters more allergic to expression of motion, emotion, or anything - I think you could replace them with talking rocks and they'd look more lively.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's like Riddick's work but with lumpy trianglepeople.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the joke's on you

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah my brain wants to hate Arnold because of the art but I'm actually enjoying the writing, it's even gotten a few actual laughs out of me

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We joke about Boyce, but that's the first one to really raise my eyebrows.

A+J

I'm not usually a comments-reader, but this out-of-context trifecta got me:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Aww, that last comment was very sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Potsticker posted:

This was probably the Bad Machinery storyline I enjoyed the most and it's great to see it again.

Allison is frequently quite good, but even so this might be his best work.