Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Animal-Mother posted:

Zelensky's quasi-military outfits reminded me of this:

"Hey Tony, I'm coming over to chat. Wear something military-ish. No, not the red coat with the big hat, something modern."

Meanwhile tony blair reminds me of Lance and Dale Hale from venture bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1161929028305149952

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I bet he's one of the new stars they added to the CIA wall recently

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Spergin Morlock posted:

I bet he's one of the new stars they added to the CIA wall recently

:hmmyes:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
put the record player by the bed

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm still 1000% convinced that #cruzsexscandal is super real. Like, shame Cruz begged Trump for forgiveness so soon. I want that story un-caught and un-killed.

Cruz' thing for Corey Chase voyeur incest scenes

The scandal happening on the anniversary of 9/11

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Dennis Rodman being more than less correct on North Korea before it was cool.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

dennis rodman is a 007 type agent irl and simon sez was a documentary

edit: oh my loving god dane cook was the villain in that movie lmao

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Echo Chamber posted:

Rodman was visibly queer and gender fluid before it was acceptable

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They told us masks were bad for us because we would touch our faces too often and touching your face is how you get Covid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Make sure you have a record player on so children hear more words

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ikanreed posted:

Make sure you have a record player on so children hear more words

Phonograph, idiot

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Animal-Mother posted:

They told us masks were bad for us because we would touch our faces too often and touching your face is how you get Covid.

I am 100% convinced that this horseshit was because they didn't want a run on masks leading to problems supplying the health sector.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

exmachina posted:

I am 100% convinced that this horseshit was because they didn't want a run on masks leading to problems supplying the health sector.

haven’t “they” admitted as much?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Animal-Mother posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuNmYDsGVU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Dodging sniper fire

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2022/07/30/roger-stone-matt-gaetz-pardon-mueller/

quote:

Toward the end of the October 2019 recording, one of the Danish filmmakers made his way toward Stone with a camera.

The discussion shifted largely to small talk such as a shared dislike of Washington. Gaetz quipped that to escape the capital, he might ask DeSantis to make him head of Florida’s juvenile justice agency, before reflecting that Trump would not permit him to leave.

quote:

Federal agents arrested Greenberg at his home on June 23, 2020

lmao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZstxpTBqL0

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's unfair to say that it was just poorly designed. It was poorly designed, but not really in a way that should have killed anyone. But boeing greed sure killed a shitload of people!

Boeing lobbied the FAA to get the plane to market faster by claiming it only required minimal re-training to fly which it did by claiming it was just an updated package of an old plane with nothing new in terms of its avionics.

They went so far as to convince the FAA to remove any mention of a system call MCAS (which caused the crashes) from the update manuals by claiming it existed on a previous version of the plane (a USAF tanker lmao) so it wasn't an update and
didn't warrant inclusion-- which would add training time.

Except that they had also fundamentally changed the system by removing the pilot's ability to over ride it without turning it off entirely. Not that it mattered because nobody actually flying the MAX was aware of its existence anyways, or even knew how to turn it off.

Then they made the MCAS function off one poorly made sensor so the system, which the pilots weren't aware of to begin with, would trigger when it didn't need to and had no redundancy at all. Then the pilots would just try to counter the movements, completely unaware that they were fighting a new system. But the MCAS kept fighting the pilot inputs and all the conflicting inputs then crashed the planes, the whole time the pilots would've had no loving idea what was making the plane do what it was doing.

Nobody had to die even if the system and it's implementation were bad. The pilots could have been told "hey there's a system called MCAS. if you need to over-ride the MCAS you need to turn it off." But instead 300+ people died because boeing lied about the plane so they could avoid training people on it so they could sell it sooner

Also they covered it up for over a year, knowing it was probably why the planes crashed. Ofc the only people who ate poo poo were the shareholders and one guy who had to resign

Yeah but mcas is really dumb and shouldn't exist, it's a software bandaid on a major hardware flaw (engines too powerful) that only exists because they wouldn't have been able to compete with Airbus if pilots needed recertification. I'd say it's poorly designed in a way that you could absolutely expect it to kill people. Anyway I think we agree mostly, just my perspective as an engineer who has done a fair bit of process safety and hazard analysis.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Aug 1, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can you explain what is mcas

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

indigi posted:

Not much, what's mcas with you?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

The 737MAX, in order to save fuel, needs a computer to fiddle with its flaps and augment humans.
The crashes happened because this system thought the plane was in a stall and moved the flaps to cause the plane to nosedive and crash into the ground.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It was more to make it fly like a different version of the 737, so Boeing could handwave and say, no FAA, it's not a *new* plane, it's just a variant of this *other* plane, which is already certified and no, the pilots won't need retraining, trust us.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

indigi posted:

Software to stop plane from crashing attached to a bad sensor with no redundancy that caused it to kick in even when the plane wasn't crashing which then made the plane crash

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Software to stop plane from crashing attached to a bad sensor with no redundancy that caused it to kick in even when the plane wasn't crashing which then made the plane crash

Coming soon, to a self-driving car near you!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Frog Act posted:

what is this from, i feel like i recognize it and it's driving me bonkers

https://archive.org/details/shootingwar0000lapp/mode/2up

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

cnn+

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://youtu.be/r1ogibWCNKI

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The 737MAX, in order to save fuel, needs a computer to fiddle with its flaps and augment humans.
The crashes happened because this system thought the plane was in a stall and moved the flaps to cause the plane to nosedive and crash into the ground.

I am not an expert on this but I think it's actually not to save fuel it's because the engines are too powerful so it's super easy to stall and so the mcas is a software bandage that helps prevent stalling. The engines are too powerful because Boeing is a garbage American company that produces lovely planes.

I mean I guess they used those new engines in the first place because they're more fuel efficient so you're kind of right but the way you say it doesn't really show how terribly the plane is engineered.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

"Blah people"

And like many old gaffes, it would've been nothing if Trump said it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

IAMKOREA posted:

I am not an expert on this but I think it's actually not to save fuel it's because the engines are too powerful so it's super easy to stall and so the mcas is a software bandage that helps prevent stalling. The engines are too powerful because Boeing is a garbage American company that produces lovely planes.

I mean I guess they used those new engines in the first place because they're more fuel efficient so you're kind of right but the way you say it doesn't really show how terribly the plane is engineered.

I thought it was because the lengthened plane and bigger engines meant they needed to move the engines forward which hosed the centre of gravity and needed computer flight aids to remedy

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

sleeptalker posted:

"Blah people"

And like many old gaffes, it would've been nothing if Trump said it.

"Macaca"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
missouri's choice for democrat senator is a multimillionaire who won the same racist debutante ball that ellie kemper won

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's illegal to be rich in STL and not attend those balls

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have a vague idea of what a debutante ball is but definitely don't know how you win one

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

projecthalaxy posted:

I have a vague idea of what a debutante ball is but definitely don't know how you win one

here's the specifics of that one if you want

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veiled_Prophet_Parade_and_Ball

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH