Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ya, I thought it was intended to be like a superstandard that encompassed all three including intel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's what it was trying to do, but it just ended up being VRR number 3 instead :eng99:

The PS5 has a really hosed up implementation of VRR that's neither here nor there. It's horribly mangled and doesn't even work in its 1440p mode.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the new VESA thing isn't a new spec, as I said it's the old spec plus some implementation quality standards beyond just accepting a signal

the PS5 just supports the standard HDMI VRR spec, and not the weird stop-gap spec that AMD came up with

1440p monitors usually only support the AMD spec over HDMI (if anything)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This came up in the PS5 thread recently. Do you know if technically Sony could add support for AMD's HDMI spec, the way the Xbone and Series do (iiuc)?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depends on how the hardware of the PS5 is set up

if i remember correctly, the xbox one systems drove the HDMI output directly from the SOC, but for some reason unknown to me the PS4 (and maybe 5?) used the displayport output of the SOC and fed that into a HDMI converter which may not support AMDs ad-hoc spec

the fact that the xbox series supports the maximum HDMI 2.1 bandwidth while the PS5 is bottlenecked to a lower throughput, despite both being RDNA2 based, suggests there's some difference in how they're encoding the HDMI again

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 2, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

repiv posted:

1440p monitors usually only support the AMD spec over HDMI (if anything)

Edit: disregard me, I thought you meant Freesync because I don't pay attention to consoles :eng99:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 2, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia joined the UCIe consortium, so thats basically everyone on board now.

https://www.servethehome.com/ucie-consortium-incorporated-and-adds-nvidia-and-alibaba/

The chiplet future is gonna be heterogenous and insanely confusing. Cool!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Man I watched the GN review of the dGPU intel drivers/software and big yikes. I’m a bozo in the tech world so I cant always parse everything but there’s so many show-stopping bugs that would make so many people just return the thing out of lack of troubleshooting knowledge or patience.

I had low expectations based on what the thread said but it ended up being somehow worse, in installation of all places.

Echoing seemingly everyone in hoping that they don’t call this an insurmountable obstacle and trash the entire dGPU concept forever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

buglord posted:

Man I watched the GN review of the dGPU intel drivers/software and big yikes. I’m a bozo in the tech world so I cant always parse everything but there’s so many show-stopping bugs that would make so many people just return the thing out of lack of troubleshooting knowledge or patience.

I had low expectations based on what the thread said but it ended up being somehow worse, in installation of all places.

Echoing seemingly everyone in hoping that they don’t call this an insurmountable obstacle and trash the entire dGPU concept forever.

The lingering footage of the buggy driver settings being a tiny box in the middle of the monitor made me laugh out loud. I also chuckled every time the smooth sync clips glitching out popped up, lmao. GN humor is totally my poo poo.

Get your poo poo together, Intel. I'm still rooting for you, but just lmao.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Intel dGPU is actually amazing as long as you want it for the right reasons (encoding)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wrong thread

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Intel dGPU is actually amazing as long as you want it for the right reasons (encoding)

If Lovelace doesn't include AV1 (not sure if it's been confirmed) then the streamer meta will be to get a motherboard with two x16 slots and stick an intel GPU in there just for hardware encode (or just build a dedicated streaming capture PC I guess). Having an Intel GPU doing encoding while an Nvidia GPU games would work, right? Or would that cause weird driver mixups?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
bigger streamers will probably still do av1 encoding using their streaming pc cpu's for a good while. of course, it all depends on obs support. currently you can use it using it when recording (because it's not supported on streaming platforms)

what i still haven't managed to find out is how much it takes to transcode av1 into vp9/x264, since that's going to be the main hit on platforms like twitch and youtube? is transcoding equivalent to x264 transcoding, or is it significantly harder like, well, regular av1 encoding?

the problem with intel gpu's right now is (also) that they currently seem to be way too unstable for any serious streamers to want to use them; these are people who postpone windows updates for as long as possible, because they keep resetting settings and breaking stuff all the time

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the AV1 encoding part is nice except for the fact it's still on a card with godawful driver/software support.

Let's call it amazing once it actually works and can be bought.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is AV1 actually relevent to streamers right now? AFAICT Twitch and YouTube still only support ingesting H264

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
not for the time being, no. they've never said much about it publicly wrt livestreaming, and codec/bitrate support is one of those things where each could stand out better from each other. twitch has offered some eta's for adoption, but i think that was generally pre-pandemic, so who knows what the pipeline is like now

hopefully something will change when/if ada adds hardware encoding for it in a bit

there's an old demo of av1 on twitch if you wanna test it, although i don't know how relevant it is now, given how much has been improved since. i don't even know exactly what they used for the encoding

https://twitch.tv/videos/637388605

also worth remembering that youtube always transcode ingest streams, so there's not likely to ever be a "source" quality av1 stream unlike twitch who's more strict about bitrate and settings. so the subsequent sub-not-source transcodes are more interesting here. add to this that we should assume platforms will optimize for lower bitrate than higher quality in transcodes given the choice, since the ad-tech nerds think it increases engagement and watchtime

kliras fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 3, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Junior ad nerd here, and I've never heard that before. Why would a lower quality video increase performance metrics in a positive way? Are there really that many people with internet connections so poor that it impacts their watch time?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
AV1 exists on the backends at Netflix already and their encoding architecture is pretty darn unique in the grand scheme of things given they do a pretty darn solid job of parallelizing encoding partly due to the strict requirements they put on the source formats for their content providers. It's definitely got a better overall future in terms of adoption rates compared to HEVC / h.265 and with the new addition of Apple adding AV1 support in their software things are getting started proper. The big hold in a way now is that there's 0 Apple hardware with any AV1 decode capabilities which puts AV1 mass adoption at least another hardware cycle out (beyond even the M2 CPUs).

One reason why I'm kind of excited about FPGA-like capabilities on these SOCs is that it's an efficient, effective way to deliver firmware updates to older hardware to support features like new video codecs such as AV1. I'm not aware of Apple having such a heterogeneous compute setup possible yet but maybe they've got something ready soon enough. Given how long it took for h.264 to become mostly standard I'm sadly expecting to only get ubiquitous AV1 by perhaps 2026.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Unsinkabear posted:

Junior ad nerd here, and I've never heard that before. Why would a lower quality video increase performance metrics in a positive way? Are there really that many people with internet connections so poor that it impacts their watch time?

Yes. Especially since a lot of it is consumed over cellular networks, which aren't known for having super stable throughput.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Unsinkabear posted:

people watching on a data plan, on their smartphone, usually have to deal with poor bandwidth and a data cap, so anything that lets you watch in a higher quality without sucking down the gigabytes makes it more accessible

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
even sub-second changes to page load can affect bounce rate for basic websites, so it figures that buffering a chunk of a video can also have a similar effect

and now picture tiktok and its instagram and youtube also-rans where this is even more important for flipping through videos

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I think the question was about how quality of a video ad alone affects the engagement and impression rates. I'd argue offhand as ignorant to the ad industry that it's not about quality as much as completion of an impression. For example, if you only can download N bytes like on an unstable connection set like hand-offs between towers that you may get cutoff before the completion of the download which can suppress impression statistics. Think complete download of a 200 KB animated gif vs a really onerous flash video ad from the 2000s.

Also, it's always peculiar how super high quality YouTube videos are for ads that are cached and served with higher priority than the actual content from some backwater server way in the dusty archives of a datacenter because at least for myself I'll just skip the ad and have more patience for the video I meant to see. Granted, if the video is basically unwatchable because it's super unstable / shaky then that's a bounce.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

necrobobsledder posted:

I think the question was about how quality of a video ad alone affects the engagement and impression rates. I'd argue offhand as ignorant to the ad industry that it's not about quality as much as completion of an impression. For example, if you only can download N bytes like on an unstable connection set like hand-offs between towers that you may get cutoff before the completion of the download which can suppress impression statistics. Think complete download of a 200 KB animated gif vs a really onerous flash video ad from the 2000s.

Also, it's always peculiar how super high quality YouTube videos are for ads that are cached and served with higher priority than the actual content from some backwater server way in the dusty archives of a datacenter because at least for myself I'll just skip the ad and have more patience for the video I meant to see. Granted, if the video is basically unwatchable because it's super unstable / shaky then that's a bounce.

With av1, you can have similar visual quality at a lower quality bitrate, which means the videos start quicker to no apparent visual detriment. And the reason a lot of people bounce off those videos is because they take too long to load at an acceptable visual quality.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the general idea of av1 simplified is that you can either get the video at twice the quality or half the bitrate compared to the original/h264/vp9

so for transcodes, you're never getting "worse quality". and of course, if the bitrate improves, your transcoding setting on youtube might automatically change from 720p to 1080p

it's also not a binary thing, so a platform like youtube might start you off on a video at a safe, stable setting like 720p and then gradually increase it once engagement is more likely to be locked in, since videos are streamed in chunks and not as whole videos you need to buffer entirely. we're mostly talking about the first five seconds of coming into contact with a video

e: fb

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 3, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

necrobobsledder posted:

The big hold in a way now is that there's 0 Apple hardware with any AV1 decode capabilities which puts AV1 mass adoption at least another hardware cycle out (beyond even the M2 CPUs).

The longer-lived laptops have more than enough CPU power to software decode AV1, and phone refresh cycles are shorter, so I'd actually bet that AV1 adoption takes off running once iPhones ship with them, which is likely next month!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kliras posted:

bigger streamers will probably still do av1 encoding using their streaming pc cpu's for a good while.

AV1 encoding is more like x265 speed than 264. People have stuck with 264 despite large file size because, well, 265 is kind of janky in anything that isn't a cartoon, but until Turing it wasn't fast either.

Intel and Netflix came up with a CPU encoder, SVT-AV1, that I have used in some :files: with ffmpeg nightly, and even though it's not fast even running at 265 Slow style speeds it's doing better quality for similar filesizes. Outside of encoding your "home videos" it's a bit more touchy For streamers, the other problem is hardware support. Twitch wouldn't switch to it because currently Apple products don't support it. Even the pirates will be kind of annoyed that Plex server doesn't work with it either. Which is why they should abandon both products for Android and Jellyfin, but that's for another time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

H265/HEVC is also wildly patent encumbered which has stalled adoption pretty hard

AV1 is royalty-free so it's easier to work with from a legal standpoint

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So if I want to decrease the file size of my partners videos without killing quality I should use AV1 then, right? Playback and encode time isn’t a huge concern really at this time. Just looking to be efficient with space because 4k60 takes up a loooooot more space than we assumed lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yes. Just understand that you won't be playing them back on low-power devices without hardware decode. These modern ultra low bitrate codecs are a lot of work to decode without acceleration.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Waifu 3080 10GB + $180 newegg gift card for $800: https://www.newegg.com/yeston-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx3080-10g-d6x-ya/p/1FT-007N-00071

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Really hard to resist these deals but I'm committed to waiting for 40 series

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Really hard to resist these deals but I'm committed to waiting for 40 series

Sucks to hear the 4080 probably won’t drop till early next year, but I’ve waited 7 years to upgrade so a few more months isn’t a big deal

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Meanwhile I want to want more GPU horsepower added on top of my 3070 which sometimes feels lean at 1440p for the 10% of times I actually push the card to its limit, but most times it’s me playing freaking map games and my last GOTY looked like a PS1 game and the runner up looked like a slightly better PS1 game.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
There are only two vendors who make sufficient small enough card for my application so I'm bit worried that this trend where GPUs consume more power and are even bigger means that there won't by any cards at all next gen that fit in my cases (nothing special, a Fractal R6 with storage layout, just with all the other PCI slots filled in with stuff and NCase v5) and I should just buy something already. It just happens that EVGA has no or low availability around here and FE cards are region locked out of my country so I might as well wait for the unicorn 4-series/7-series/ARC whatever that will fit in regular double wide full height full length PCI slot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm glad I have a 3080 because lol at the idea of running a 4080 with how gas and electric prices are trending.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I got the Disco Diffusion bug bad.

4090 here I come.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If the 4070 is as good as the 3090, then it would be about 50% better than the 3070. The 3070 was 50% better than the 2070. The 2070 was around 35% better than the 1070. The 1070 was 50% better than the 970.

So 50% is generally what you would consider a good generational improvement.

Latest rumour says 4070 = 3090 ti performance with 300w draw though maybe its all straight from the bullshit mill

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would not be hard to get 3090 Ti performance at a far lower power draw considering how ridiculously overtuned that card was.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Also youd really hope that after all the hype Ada would at least not be another 20** damp squib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean only our uncles at NVIDIA know what 4000 is capable of

(mine said it can fly like a drone)