Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Yeah I've been pretty consistent during my "comeback" and my rating has climbed from around 560 up to 900. So I'll just keep going the way I am and try and be consistent. Goal is to at least get to 1k IR before I start looking at other series.

All things considered pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Is there any etiquette around having a minimum pace before signing up for open practice, or a race? I made somebody mad in the F3 practice on Spa because I kept getting rear ended for going too slow. I admit I was def going wayyyyy slower than everybody else but I’ve never raced this track before! But maybe it’s expected to put in time alone before jumping in a session?

Also, is there a way to see roughly what pace people are hitting in my SR level?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
F3 generally has a huge gulf in pace between the fast drivers and the kinda fast drivers and the slow drivers, just due to the downforce involved, because you don't really know how fast it can go till you go that fast. If you don't go fast enough to have the downforce working the car will seem much slower till you send it and feel the downforce.

Some practice on your own is advisable, but to see how to drive it, watch some of the faster drivers and see how they're driving it and try to imitate their braking points and corner speeds till you feel it. So there's a bit of on your own but if you can't break that speed threshold to feel the downforce, solo practice can end up hurting more than it helps. I'd say watch some fast people, then practice on your own, then practice in an official session.

Also SR really has no bearing on pace, you can be really slow and safe and have high SR. What you should be looking at is irating for a general indicator of pace, but its not a perfect thing.

So yeah practice the F3 on your own but make it informed and studied practice. Eventually you do want to get in among other drivers though. When you do, just keep a close eye on your relative behind and get out of the way of the fast drivers approaching, slowing obviously off line to let them by safely.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks, that’s good to know. Oops, I def meant to say iRating.

Just jumped into my first f3 race and was doing pretty ok at the back of the pack, minding my own business, then I had a spin out and made the terrible beginner mistake of trying to get back on track without looking at the relative tab and took the leader out of the race. Felt real bad!!!

Gonna do some of the advanced miata for a bit just to take it easy. The f3 is super fun to drive but it’s very challenging with the high variation in speeds in the field.

And whoever said that f3 is full of sennas - you weren’t kidding. My race session had two people with the first name “ayrton”.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I should also probably slow things down - I got to C eating like 5 years ago, so I’m pretty much starting from scratch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The people who get mad at slow people in a practice session can eat my rear end. It's a practice session; everything is made up and the points don't matter. They can drive in a private test session if they don't want to deal with traffic.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

giogadi posted:

Is there any etiquette around having a minimum pace before signing up for open practice, or a race? I made somebody mad in the F3 practice on Spa because I kept getting rear ended for going too slow. I admit I was def going wayyyyy slower than everybody else but I’ve never raced this track before! But maybe it’s expected to put in time alone before jumping in a session?

Also, is there a way to see roughly what pace people are hitting in my SR level?

You can always look up laptimes by split here: https://www.simracingstats.com/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

giogadi posted:

Thanks, that’s good to know. Oops, I def meant to say iRating.

Just jumped into my first f3 race and was doing pretty ok at the back of the pack, minding my own business, then I had a spin out and made the terrible beginner mistake of trying to get back on track without looking at the relative tab and took the leader out of the race. Felt real bad!!!

Gonna do some of the advanced miata for a bit just to take it easy. The f3 is super fun to drive but it’s very challenging with the high variation in speeds in the field.

And whoever said that f3 is full of sennas - you weren’t kidding. My race session had two people with the first name “ayrton”.

You absolutely don't need to pay attention to anyone who is getting mad at you for your pace in a practice session and you absolutely should not feed bad or dumb for joining one.

That said, if you're way off the pace of other cars, do yourself a favour and take a ride along with the fastest people (it won't be the people getting mad at you) in cockpit view so you can see firsthand what they're doing differently. You might find you don't have to lift for a certain corner or that you're braking way earlier than you had to for others.

Also, you can see with the relative window when someone is coming up on you. If you're really feeling off the pace, already had an off track, etc it's reasonable to put your car somewhere off the racing line when you have cars rapidly approaching so that they can continue their lap. This isn't mandatory and it's not something you NEED to do but it's respectful and, for me at least, it helps with the immersion some to treat it like an actual practice session.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If we're going by "real life track session rules" you should only be offline if you went off track (and then only to return to the pits) so you don't drag a bunch of grass and poo poo onto the racing line. But other than that, the slow person should be on line and the fast person should go off line to pass them. If you're off line, the person behind you doesn't know what the hell you're doing and you stop being predictable. If you go off line IRL to let someone pass, your session leader should be yelling at you to cut that out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

The people who get mad at slow people in a practice session can eat my rear end. It's a practice session; everything is made up and the points don't matter. They can drive in a private test session if they don't want to deal with traffic.

It's this. I joined a practice session earlier this week for Indy Fixed at Long Beach.

For the first thirty minutes it was me and two other drivers repeatedly smashing into walls and resetting to pits to try again.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you want to join an open practice but don’t feel comfortable in tons of traffic, once you’re loaded into the session you can go to the driver entry list and click the drop down to select a different practice session/slot/channel/whatever it’s called. It’s the same practice but a different set of vehicles (usually few to none).

If you’re several seconds off pace, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you’re, say 10+ seconds off pace, then the issue may be you need to learn the track first, and I’d either do that in a solo test session, or one of the alternate practice slots as mentioned above.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm perfectly happy to have a bad race, I just try to learn from it, but losing it getting off the start line and wiping someone out feels extremely bad. Bottom split Radicals, you've been warned.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Simply do the magic start and never lose it off the start (hold brake, full gas, release brake on green).

Works in any open wheeler (except W12) and also radical.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Nice, thanks. Learning how to start in TCR was a massive help there so hopefully that'll do the same for me in the Radical.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think it works in the new radical anyway, test in practice first, same for any tips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is your quarterly reminder that you can spectate a race in progress, and get out on the track and shadow the fast guys without loving up their race.

Don’t worry about keeping up with them, just watch what they’re doing through individual segments and see if doing the same thing works for you. Sometimes your plan through a section is great for the one corner that you’re having problems with, but makes you slow as snail dick through the segment as a whole.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Dammit all this posting makes me want to race.

I unsubscribed in June because I’m going through a move and poo poo and I’d rather sign back up with a black Friday special price.

But I really want to drive virtual race cars dammit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

I unsubscribed in June because I’m going through a move and poo poo and I’d rather sign back up with a black Friday special price.

Make a throwaway until November?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Make a throwaway until November?

It’s not about the account or money, all my poo poo is packed up.

I’m in the process of selling my condo so having a GT Omega and a wheel and pedal base supported against the wall by a 2x4 and 2 monitors and gloves and poo poo doesn’t jive with realtor showings haha.

I mean I could do a throwaway and use an Xbox controller and just run the unranked Daytona/Talladega races I suppose but I loving loathe them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

speaking of, my sub just ran out. anyone got any 1 or 2 year coupons to share?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It is also good to know that you will get aero effects from the cars in the race session, extremely helpful if you're trying to figure out how a particular oval works in traffic

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

KillHour posted:

But other than that, the slow person should be on line and the fast person should go off line to pass them. If you're off line, the person behind you doesn't know what the hell you're doing and you stop being predictable. If you go off line IRL to let someone pass, your session leader should be yelling at you to cut that out.
This is also good advice for multi class racing. Stick to your line, be predictable, and you'll facilitate easy passes for the faster classes.

meeler09
May 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

If we're going by "real life track session rules" you should only be offline if you went off track (and then only to return to the pits) so you don't drag a bunch of grass and poo poo onto the racing line. But other than that, the slow person should be on line and the fast person should go off line to pass them. If you're off line, the person behind you doesn't know what the hell you're doing and you stop being predictable. If you go off line IRL to let someone pass, your session leader should be yelling at you to cut that out.

This is some good advice for myself. If I’ve already wrecked my race and am getting the blue flags I have a habit of watching relatives and when someone is 1 second behind or so I’ll lift and move off the line. I always thought I was making it easier but never really thought that the passing driver might be startled by a car moving off the line and slowing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In a race yeah no but in a practice I think it's good to move off the line when you see someone coming like way far back if you're clearly off pace. I'm not suggesting you do this when someone is less than 3s from you on relative.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a second gap is pretty close to have someone move off-line right in front of you, especially if you end up in multiclass with significant speed differences.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

In a race yeah no but in a practice I think it's good to move off the line when you see someone coming like way far back if you're clearly off pace. I'm not suggesting you do this when someone is less than 3s from you on relative.

The problem is I don't know why you're off line. Is it because you're trying to get out of my way? Are you practicing offline driving? Is it because you don't know where the racing line is? Is your car broken? If you're on line, I can generally predict where you're going to go because you're where I expect you to be. If you're off line, you could suddenly be going anywhere at any time, including off the track. Moreover, 3 seconds relative is REALLY far back. Even if you're 10 seconds off the pace, that's a third of the track before they're in a position to pass you.

If you want to let people pass you easily, bind the "pass left" and "pass right" chat shortcuts to your wheel. Wait until they are a couple car lengths behind you and you're on a comfortable part of the track (not in a chicane or heavy breaking zone), stay on line, give them a point by on the side you want them to pass you, and lift slightly.

If you want to pass someone easily, get about a car length behind them, a little off to the side you want to pass on and wait for an opening to go off line safely to pass.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Try to drive well at all times, and if somebody is good enough to pass you, then they will. If they can't, then they could use the practice passing people. If they don't want to deal with that, then they can do time trials.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
In practice I'm generally very quick to let people by if they're close and it looks like they're pushing and I'm not. It's easy enough to lift and coast into turns and be slow on the throttle out while still staying predictable to let someone get close to you by the time you get to the next straight and then just stay on line and let them by easily. 100% predictability is the way to go when there is "conflict" between a fast moving car and a slower car. If you hear someone on voice coming through the field talking to backmarkers it's a pretty good indication they'll also be listening to voice as well and then you can just communicate where you want them to pass, which has always worked best for me (or binding the pass left/pass right buttons, but those messages can be hard to see if you're focused on the race sometimes)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

iRacing please model me furiously gesticulating "go-around" in VR, also make my middle fingers real while you're in there

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Squiggle posted:

iRacing please model me furiously gesticulating "go-around" in VR, also make my middle fingers real while you're in there

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You have filed a protest with the following information. The iRacing team will investigate and determine if any action is necessary. Thank you.

quote:

The driver of car 69 reached his hand out the window to point me by but his car clearly has window netting and arm restraints, which would make such an action impossible in real life, so I ignored him. He then took the next corner 3kmh too slow forcing me to run wide and touch the grass, which (through no fault of my own) caused my car to spin and take out half the field on the first lap and my iRating and safety rating went down. I demand you undo these unjust changes promptly!

Thank you for your consideration.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

The problem is I don't know why you're off line. Is it because you're trying to get out of my way? Are you practicing offline driving? Is it because you don't know where the racing line is? Is your car broken? If you're on line, I can generally predict where you're going to go because you're where I expect you to be. If you're off line, you could suddenly be going anywhere at any time, including off the track. Moreover, 3 seconds relative is REALLY far back. Even if you're 10 seconds off the pace, that's a third of the track before they're in a position to pass you.

If you want to let people pass you easily, bind the "pass left" and "pass right" chat shortcuts to your wheel. Wait until they are a couple car lengths behind you and you're on a comfortable part of the track (not in a chicane or heavy breaking zone), stay on line, give them a point by on the side you want them to pass you, and lift slightly.

If you want to pass someone easily, get about a car length behind them, a little off to the side you want to pass on and wait for an opening to go off line safely to pass.

It's no different than what you see in practice sessions in the large race series, if someone is on a push lap and you aren't, the cars just note that the other competitor is coming up on them, find an offline place to pull over and nearly stop, they go by without issue, and you pull back out. I promise anyone reading this on a hotlap would appreciate it. Yes I know we don't do tick/tock fast/slow laps to cool our cars in sim but it's the same process.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think people are mixing up "pull over on a straight in good time to let someone by" and "go slow through a turn/under braking/on exit while offline"

The first one is ok, but for the second the only way to "let" someone by in or around a corner is to not fight a move they're already making. Do not alter your line/speed otherwise or they will drive into you and be rightly annoyed.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Grahhhhhhhhh I was having a fun and clean race 15 laps into the advanced miata race. I was in 8th place, and the guy who had qualified 2nd was behind me (not a lap ahead). I wish I had saved the replay, but he essentially messed up an overtake and overcooked the turn, and then ran totally sideways across the track in order to wreck me. Thank goodness I didn’t lose any SR, but it should’ve been a big increase!!! I don’t understand what’s going through people’s minds when they do that. If I accidentally run someone off, I lie awake at night thinking about it for like weeks afterward

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you see a gap and don't take it, you're not a real racer.

More seriously, those are learning moments for everyone. iRacing is a game and that means it encourages risk taking compared to actually crashing a car and maybe dying. You still had fun and you can go again in an hour.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I understand going for it! What I don’t get was cutting across the grass in order to wreck me on the next corner intentionally!!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That's a pretty open and shut protest

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That's a pretty open and shut protest

Can you still file a protest if you don't have the replay?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Yeah I forgot to save the replay and was gonna ask actually whether I can still file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

giogadi posted:

I understand going for it! What I don’t get was cutting across the grass in order to wreck me on the next corner intentionally!!

I missed that part. It's often the case that you end up going off on one side and then shoot back across the track because sometimes weight transfer just does that but yeah, if it was intentional, that's pretty poo poo.