Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I assume mons have specific Tera types available based on breed, not all 18 types.

That's the only way it won't be completely broken

Also lol gyms not scaling to your level or potentially being softlocked behind inaccessible terrain.

Typical Gamefreak monkey's paw ineptitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We know, from the video and the website, that Eevee at least has Normal, Grass, Water, and Flying Tera types. Of course, that's Eevee, and other Pokemon may be more restrained in options.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I assume mons have specific Tera types available based on breed, not all 18 types.
Yeah, the trailer mentioned that Fly Tera Pikachu wasn't available outside of the pre-order bonus.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Also lol gyms not scaling to your level or potentially being softlocked behind inaccessible terrain.

Typical Gamefreak monkey's paw ineptitude
I think "figure out what gym is next in difficulty" is not a bad approach that could promote exploration.

When I think of level scaling I think of Oblivion and how boring it was that all the world's bandits and wolves were just constantly evolving to be on your level.

The game is probably still going to intend locations to be higher or lower in level, but it just won't be a straight line the whole way thorugh.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

iirc sawsbuck has been locked to spring form in all games after gen 5 lol

That's true, but if you sent a fall/winter/summer form forward with bank/home it would be locked to that form and be breedable. In today's trailer we saw two different seasonal forms so my guess is that different areas of the map will have a different form be catch-able.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I love deerling

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

No one said anything about "making it good", it's that they get to participate at all.

Sure, in an ideal magical christmas land, megas would be A Thing and every pokemon would just have one and it wouldn't be based on held items and etc. etc. but Game Freak has already demonstrated issues keeping up with the volume of the game and we haven't even gotten things like filling out Eeveelutions of every type, so wishing for that is a pipe dream.

But generic powerups are Boring. Pokemon is about having cool dudes. I would rather have a system with cool new hand-crafted dudes than "everyone gets to scale their model up 500%". And it makes it all the more special when your favorite gets something! Beedrill fans would rather have a cool new Beedrill than "well, technically you can apply this to Beedrill, but you could use it on Darmanitan instead for considerably better results" (don't bring up Mega Salamence please)

Thinking about it more, generic powerups are fine if they're truly generic. Terastal is fine if there are no special forms, but something like Gigantamax where often you're better off doing the generic Dynamax is bad. idk

gently caress I just got that we're working our way through the SI prefixes with mega, giga and tera. That's why it's named that instead of crystallization or something.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Spacebump posted:

How long does it take to get Enamorus? I beat Legends but never did the post game.

Quite a while if I remember. I remember Enamorus being one of the last Pokemon I needed to face Arceus. It only appears when you've already captured the other Forces of Nature and that quest is locked behind Beating Volo in a Pokemon Battle and obtaining the last plate.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't like the muted color palette, it feels like aping BOTW but for no real reason. Give us a bright world with popping colors, especially on the OLED.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Link to high-res version of the map.

https://images.gamespress.com/Conte...057b4d3e837e895

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So we now have an olive pokemon and a bread pokemon, gonna have a full course meal by the time they're all revealed.

Requesting a cheese 'mon that eventually evolves into a Posion type.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Supremezero posted:

You could just have multiple gyms at similar power levels. Gym tiers instead of gym line.

Yeah, that's my thought, and it's usually how devs design open world games without level scaling. Given the overall theme of duos, it may be there are at least two gyms in each tier located opposite each other on the map

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Requesting a cheese 'mon that eventually evolves into a Posion type.
Poison/Bug Casu Marzu pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Poison/Bug Casu Marzu pokemon

drat YOU! Beaten again!! I suppose there's always lutefisk or Surströmming

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lol just realized the houses shown on the first trailer (that are probably the MC's home) are located roughly around Gibraltar.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Not a big fan of how the bike dragons look, but I'm glad that climbing and gliding made it over from Legends Arceus. Now we'll just have to see if they're as seamless, convenient, and fun to use in this game too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/marcelo_shiny/status/1554829140884197376

Look at them
Look at our idiot child

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Have they said anything about local co-op for scarlet/violet? Not interested in online multiplayer but my 7yo would be thrilled if we could play together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are we just going to have a free legendary in our party almost right from the start then or is it more a means of transportation at first and then you catch the actual Pokémon itself later?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Larryb posted:

So are we just going to have a free legendary in our party almost right from the start then or is it more a means of transportation at first and then you catch the actual Pokémon itself later?

I could see them as being relatively late since they are designed to make obstacles almost irrelevant.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Frankston posted:

Have they said anything about local co-op for scarlet/violet? Not interested in online multiplayer but my 7yo would be thrilled if we could play together.

Yeah, the official website mentions that you can do multiplayer stuff with local connections.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I expected more from this trailer since this game is out in a couple months.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Honestly the best part of the Presents today was the GSC Remake jebait from the Pokemon Masters update trailer.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I could see them as being relatively late since they are designed to make obstacles almost irrelevant.

Very interested to see rock climbing has made it back in. I loving love being able to clamber all over every structure we find.

Also god I love Koraidon's derpy lizard movements. What an absolute good boy I think I'm gonna name mine Carmine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't believe we're getting Beer Dog and Weed Cat in the same generation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Probably just a ride 'mon ala Alola, and then you can catch it for personal use once the story is over

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe we're getting Beer Dog and Weed Cat in the same generation.

Get Shuckle in there and we have the holy trinity.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, the trailer mentioned that Fly Tera Pikachu wasn't available outside of the pre-order bonus.

I think "figure out what gym is next in difficulty" is not a bad approach that could promote exploration.

When I think of level scaling I think of Oblivion and how boring it was that all the world's bandits and wolves were just constantly evolving to be on your level.

The game is probably still going to intend locations to be higher or lower in level, but it just won't be a straight line the whole way thorugh.

I mean that poo poo's dumb in oblivion because bandits and wolves are equaling your legendary powerful dude with magic equipment dragged from the bottom of a forbidden ruin and poo poo.

Just people actually training their pokemon is kind of a given. And it's already kind of implied that the gym leaders are scaling down their pokemon to match you anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I'm expecting them to function as the HMs or ride pokemon from Arceus - you'll unlock surf/climb/fly with progression.

Otherwise, why have half of the functionality if they can fly from the get go?

Supremezero posted:

I mean that poo poo's dumb in oblivion because bandits and wolves are equaling your legendary powerful dude with magic equipment dragged from the bottom of a forbidden ruin and poo poo.

Just people actually training their pokemon is kind of a given. And it's already kind of implied that the gym leaders are scaling down their pokemon to match you anyway.
I think they could do some level scaling and make it interesting, but they could also do level scaling in a super boring way to where it'd be like going to Pewter gym last and Brock still has 2 pokemon but now they're level 60 instead of 10 if you did him at the start.

Non-scaling gyms maybe also implies non-scaling wild pokemon, which I think is also a good thing, because you can create regions that are more dangerous at the start. Non-scaling gyms could also mean reaching a gym that might be too hard for you at a certain point of the game, and actually being encouraged to explore, or having options to "sequence break" if you have the right team comps. I feel like with GameFreak, scaling gyms would far more likely to run the risk of creating a really flat experience where no gym ends up being particularly challenging since they're always tuned to be manageable at whatever level.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 3, 2022

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/ultimashadowx/status/1554822705609850881?s=21&t=n_X5WFA-W46tf1cixWelTA

I can’t get over how goofy the Scarlet legendary looks with those gigantic wheels on their body and then just running around. I dunno if it’s awful, hilarious or amazing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

jimmydalad posted:

https://twitter.com/ultimashadowx/status/1554822705609850881?s=21&t=n_X5WFA-W46tf1cixWelTA

I can’t get over how goofy the Scarlet legendary looks with those gigantic wheels on their body and then just running around. I dunno if it’s awful, hilarious or amazing.

Why not all three?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you outlevel a gym, you could also always rotate your party.

I'm glad they're going the set level route, open world games generally benefit more from having set levels like Morrowind rather than scale everything to you like Oblivion. Also getting busted stuff early if you can get away with it is always fun, it's just pushing the challenge elsewhere, plus it's not like you couldn't just trade yourself a L100 badass from a previous gen anyway if you wanted to bust poo poo open.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean, you just need a team of 6 Rattatas/Taillows with Focus Sash/Endeavor/Quick Attack. Unless the gym has Taunt or priority or 6 mons they lose.

You don't even need that - apparently you can beat the elite four in Gen 1 using nothing but level 5 pokemon (though some of them were sent back in time from GSC).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

If you outlevel a gym, you could also always rotate your party.

I'm glad they're going the set level route, open world games generally benefit more from having set levels like Morrowind rather than scale everything to you like Oblivion. Also getting busted stuff early if you can get away with it is always fun, it's just pushing the challenge elsewhere, plus it's not like you couldn't just trade yourself a L100 badass from a previous gen anyway if you wanted to bust poo poo open.

You didn’t even need to trade, just do a few Max Raids to grind candies and you can have a fully leveled team pretty early in the game. SwSH is ridiculously easy to break over your knee if you want to

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Please forgive Koraidon, it is an idiot. We have purposely animated it wrong as a joke.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

It rules

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I like the crystal pokemon. And I think the red legendary running is fine - the wheels don't have power I guess! So he pushes with his feet like a scooter. It's cute.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder if there's modes, like your start running then starting wheeling, or if you get an upgrade that lets it use the wheels and it goes faster.

Otherwise I can't fathom why they'd bother giving it wheels if they were going to set it apart by having it run.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HopperUK posted:

I like the crystal pokemon. And I think the red legendary running is fine - the wheels don't have power I guess! So he pushes with his feet like a scooter. It's cute.

I hope they tuck their legs in on downward slopes :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if there's modes, like your start running then starting wheeling, or if you get an upgrade that lets it use the wheels and it goes faster.

Otherwise I can't fathom why they'd bother giving it wheels if they were going to set it apart by having it run.

Because Arceus is a cruel god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I get the impression the Legendary dragonbikes have all the same transportation modes, including bike mode and all-terrain-lizard-walk mode, and we just didn't see the red one in bike mode and so people are (as always) freaking out.