Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Klyith posted:

Yes, quite frankly I do. And if some weirdo spams everyone in British Columbia about this, that's on them, not Linus.

You're doing a bit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They're right though. The first name of your teenage crush or whatever isn't classified.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They're right though. The first name of your teenage crush or whatever isn't classified.

I too like to go through life without recognizing context or nuance in anything at all, just banging off the walls of reality with my eyes closed

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's definitely the most michael scott reaction to the problem imaginable, but i am legit having trouble finding it funny with how genuinely sympathetic i feel towards the guy for being called a fuckin pedo afaik baselessly. he has kids he works with kids, that could easily destroy him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Doesn't mean it's a good idea to name them in your list of relationships when you're very online and YouTube famous. Doesn't mean you can't go rooting around for places where a "Linus Sebastian" and a "Sally" show up in the same directory.

It's a loving dumb thing to do in a world where you have people on the internet forming parasocial relationships with you. Is it likely something will happen? Nah. But I also wouldn't recommend taking that bet either.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
cancel culture will produce 8bit guy's sex history

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I believe The 8-Bit Guy would make an image like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The mental leap from "I'm open-carrying in Subway to make a point" to "libtards are trying to cancel me" is presumably not very large

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Soul Glo posted:

I too like to go through life without recognizing context or nuance in anything at all, just banging off the walls of reality with my eyes closed

same to both of these

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

After a quick skim, I have no idea what is going on in this thread and I don't plan on putting in the effort to understand, but may I please make a request that we keep things inline with the overall "SH/SC culture" in this thread. Don't be lovely, believe women, etc. I generally trust the regulars I see posting in this thread, but please don't make me regret that trust. I don't want to be put in a situation where I'm forced to learn about this poo poo and then am horrified by what I find, because I absolutely will not hesitate to nuke the thread and ban the topic if I need to.

I'm not saying that's what's going on. I'm not saying that's imminent. I'm just shooting from the hip here while busy with life stuff. In other subforums, some of the "YouTube personality" threads have gotten really out of hand and I want to make sure that doesn't happen here. If someone wants to PM me with any thoughts or concerns, feel free. I'm not looking to derail the thread or anything like that. I just want to make expectations known. Thanks goons.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

ssshit what are the other youtuber threads, I only know of RLM and I don't go there. So are they entertaining dumpster fires?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a Youtube Reviewer thread in RGD that I occasionally go to laugh at when they're arguing over whether today's 15 hour long video essay on a random kids show is good.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

forest spirit posted:

ssshit what are the other youtuber threads, I only know of RLM and I don't go there. So are they entertaining dumpster fires?

As mentioned the other big one is the one in RGD which mostly focuses on media critics and lefty video essayists. It regularly has multi-page derails, most frequently about Star Wars, Zack Snyder, and anime, which can on occasion be entertaining but are mostly tedious. I'd say it's at least worth a skim to check out what videos are being posted, even if you ignore all the discussion inbetween.

C-SPAM also used to have a Youtube thread but it became too much of a cesspit even by the standards of the C-SPAM mods so they shut it down and told everyone to go post in the RGD thread instead :v:.

Edit: I also just remembered there's one in YOSPOS as well, though it's pretty low-traffic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Okay I think I have an interesting one:

Are there any cool female tech personalities this thread can recommend? I’ve seen all shades of males with tech channels but I can’t think of anything mostly/exclusively women started.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

buglord posted:

Are there any cool female tech personalities this thread can recommend? I’ve seen all shades of males with tech channels but I can’t think of anything mostly/exclusively women started.

iJustine is the most famous one off the top of my head. There are several smaller channels that do the whole tech reviewer thing, but nothing else on the level of MKBHD or LTT or GN.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

buglord posted:

I like the Tech Ambrosia channel. She's got less than 1k subscribers, so it's quite a small channel.

The only others that I can think of off the top of my head would be Simone Giertz (Queen of lovely robots) and Fran Blanche of FranLab (General geeky tech stuff).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's also the TechTesters channel, though I admittedly don't watch it much.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

buglord posted:

Veronica Explains is a small channel but she has great Linux content. Watching one of her videos is how I learned about newsboat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

I like the Tech Ambrosia channel. She's got less than 1k subscribers, so it's quite a small channel.

Latest video is about playing on the FX 6300? Instant subscribe

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I find Lisa at MobileTechReview pretty good whenever I need laptop info or want to indoctrinate my friends into the cult of the ThinkPad.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

buglord posted:

Sarah D (which rhymes with Peachy) is someone I disagree with about 60% of the time but she knows what she knows well. She's both windows and Mac.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I find Lisa at MobileTechReview pretty good whenever I need laptop info or want to indoctrinate my friends into the cult of the ThinkPad.

Lisa is one of my favs and even though I'm a full time Mac person every 6 months or so I think about building an end of the planet computer (something that's modern but I can buy spare parts to and run for years after everything breaks down due to climate/wars whatever) which would probably be some sort of ThinkPad, and I always watch her videos for them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a Sennheiser on the back of the audiophile discussion after the cheapo "gamer headset" I got in March 2020 finally broke and it sounds good so thanks for that, folks

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Soul Glo posted:

iJustine is the most famous one off the top of my head. There are several smaller channels that do the whole tech reviewer thing, but nothing else on the level of MKBHD or LTT or GN.

I've tried watching a few iJustine videos that have come up on products that I have interest in and I absolutely can not understand who her audience is.

I think the last one I watched was on the Surface Hub, which actually seems like an interesting product that I don't fully understand it use cases and workflow and she spent like 10 minutes screaming about placing a Uber Eats delivery on it.

edit: Same with Unbox Therapy, why are you screaming at me about an, I dunno, phone charger, you aren't providing any useful information to me, you are just filling space in an annoying way about stuff barely related to the product function.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 29, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I enjoyed the iJustine video she did with LTT where they did a editor challenge with her going against Taran(?).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think iJustine is kinda just... stuck in the past of non-technical reviews. I wouldn't compare her to Unbox Therapy, that dude is literally a paid shill.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

His Steveness vents for 20 minutes about Intel's GPU drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYSeT-T5uk

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

K8.0 posted:

I think iJustine is kinda just... stuck in the past of non-technical reviews. I wouldn't compare her to Unbox Therapy, that dude is literally a paid shill.

Which, considering how many of the technical reviews are majorly flawed in some way or another, makes her relevant again? (Or at least, if it's a product i'm interested in, she's one of the four or five I'll for sure watch.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

His Steveness vents for 20 minutes about Intel's GPU drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYSeT-T5uk

You'd think he'd be happier after getting sucked off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You'd think he'd be happier after getting sucked off.

They didn't understand it when he said he wanted intel's new offerings to have teeth

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

LionArcher posted:

Which, considering how many of the technical reviews are majorly flawed in some way or another, makes her relevant again? (Or at least, if it's a product i'm interested in, she's one of the four or five I'll for sure watch.

Much like MKBHD, it's the tech equivalent of a kinder egg unwrapping. I'm a bit curious what you feel you're getting out of it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://youtu.be/DqPPWO7kWu4

Angry Steve videos are always so good. Can someone link the “Steve ranting while mountain biking” video because that was also fantastic.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKl2JbbnDrI

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Baronash posted:

Much like MKBHD, it's the tech equivalent of a kinder egg unwrapping. I'm a bit curious what you feel you're getting out of it?

Usually an early hands on look before an item is in the store. Tech wise there rarely something I want that’s mainstream I don’t already know the specs on. She actually does do edit tests and stuff that feel more real world than say max tech, and if I’m going to watch a 10 min video I’d rather it be set to fun music/better shot to get the same info for my use cases.

In terms of production quality, MKBHD and ijustine stand above everyone else as far as I’m concerned.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

LionArcher posted:

In terms of production quality, MKBHD and ijustine stand above everyone else as far as I’m concerned.

One of the more annoying things I notice about mid-size tech tubers is that they tend to just point a shotgun mic from 6 feet away in an empty cube of a room and it sounds like poo poo. Just use a microphone arm or lapel mic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

buglord posted:

https://youtu.be/DqPPWO7kWu4

Angry Steve videos are always so good. Can someone link the “Steve ranting while mountain biking” video because that was also fantastic.

"I can't even spell telegram" has to be the most Aging Millennial thing Steve has ever said.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I was tentatively interested in the LTT backpack and it looks pretty dang good but good loving god it’s $250. I guess that’s what you end up getting with a super niche over designed small run of something but wow.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
For that price you can buy something like a Tom Bihn bag and have something that will hold up to decades of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Penisaurus Sex posted:

For that price you can buy something like a Tom Bihn bag and have something that will hold up to decades of use.

I believe they're genuinely going for a similar level of durability, but it's hard to say how well their triple-reinforced, yada yada, will hold up in the long term.

One thing that's clear is that this isn't just a boilerplate design that they had their logo emblazoned onto it.