Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
congrats to the lizerds for nutting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/gibranmarquez7/status/1554502927447773185?s=21&t=G6fgep7W8kJtMsKhTR4wAg

Egg Moron posted:

Also, itd be bad rear end if the stargate was real and we got visited by sg1 so Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter could solve the microplastic cancer crisis with nanobots or asgard technology or Marlins magic or some poo poo

yeah unfortunately aliens probably aren’t real in any meaningful sense

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everyone seems to go through a period of hoping the aliens will save us after realizing the tech bros will not save us. Once you get there you're pretty close to full doomerism, just embrace it then you can start lmaoing at anything.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are more like a horror episode of Sliders where they travel here and are stuck trying to fix their timer while police actively try to kill them for being homeless and they can't get medical treatment because they don't have insurance. At the end of the episode they slide out while 300 cops are dumping their clips on Remmy because he was running away from them.

the best episode of sliders was when they learned hillary clinton got elected and the gang all collectively shits themselves while scary music plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3yidwGchk

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

circa 1994

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

don't dall me

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Stereotype posted:

us posting "lol lmao" about everything is also disassociation

lol lmao!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

who gets stuck in a hail storm? you are in a car, simply drive away from the hail rocks

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[url]https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022-western-us-snowpack-drought/[/url]

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45ReRKf7vs

The Iceland volcano that erupted in 2021 just started erupting again

From what I understand the magma dyke is bigger than last year's eruption, but I don't think that it will be explosive or anything. Just neat.

e: live stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCa4EMcWuoI

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Aug 3, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45ReRKf7vs

The Iceland volcano that erupted in 2021 just started erupting again

From what I understand the magma dyke is bigger than last year's eruption, but I don't think that it will be explosive or anything. Just neat.

e: live stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCa4EMcWuoI

ngl watching a volcano shooting magma up live from iceland while i sit in my apartment in pretty neat

edit: not sure how safe Id feel standing where those people are but have fun I guess

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Will this affect the world's largest carbon capture facility??

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/08/no-contact-with-huron-river-advised-after-toxic-chemical-release.html

quote:

Update, 8/3: Wixom police investigate Tribar release

WIXOM, MI — The state of Michigan is urging people to avoid contact with the Huron River downstream of Wixom after a chrome plating factory released a large quantity of hexavalent chromium into a sewer system that discharges to the river.

The state environmental and health departments issued a joint release about the chemical mishap on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 2, indicating that the contaminants may have begun flowing into the city of Wixom wastewater system on Saturday.

The chemicals came from Tribar Technologies, an auto supplier chiefly responsible for the existing “Do Not Eat” fish advisory in the river due to PFAS chemicals.

Hexavalent chromium, or hexchrome, is a carcinogenic chemical used in plastic finishing. It can cause numerous health problems through ingestion, skin contact or inhalation. It is so hazardous that companies like Tribar use PFAS to coat plating baths and protect workers from chromium inhalation.

The Huron River flows through multiple southeast Michigan communities before reaching Lake Erie, including Oakland, Livingston, Washtenaw, Wayne and Monroe counties.

The largest city on the river is Ann Arbor, which sources drinking water from the river. Computer modeling indicates the contaminates should not reach the city’s water intake for several weeks, according to state agencies.

Until further notice, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) says all people and pets should avoid contact with river water between North Wixom Road in Oakland County and Kensington Road in Livingston County.

The advisory includes Norton Creek downstream of the Wixom wastewater treatment plant, Hubbell Pond in Oakland County (also known as Mill Pond) and Kent Lake.

People should not swim in, wade in, play in, drink from, water plants with river water or eat fish from the river.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services urged people with questions about potential hexchrome exposure to call the MI Toxic Hotline at 800-648-6942, which is staffed normal business hours and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. this weekend.

“As we gather additional information through sampling, this recommendation may change or be expanded,” said Elizabeth Hertel, DHHS director, in a statement.

“This is a significant release into a large, much-loved waterway,” said Liesl Clark, director of the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). “Our teams are in the field now assessing the situation. We will stay on the job as long as it takes to ensure residents are safe and impacts to the ecosystem are minimized.”

Exactly how the chemicals were released is unclear. According to a news statement, EGLE was notified at 3:21 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 1 by Tribar that it had released “several thousand gallons” of a liquid containing 5 percent hexavalent chromium into the Wixom sewer system.

“The company says it discovered the release Monday but indicated it may have started as early as Saturday morning, according to Wixom city officials. It is believed that much of the contaminant already made its way through the treatment plant by the time the release was discovered,” EGLE stated.

The state is taking samples from multiple areas downstream from the treatment plant. Testing is also taking place within the Tribar facility and the Wixom wastewater treatment plant. Monitoring will continue in coming days and weeks.

“We’re the middle of the response and investigation right now and looking at everything,” said EGLE spokesperson Jill Greenberg. “We’re gathering facts and trying to figure out exactly what happened.”

The Tribar release is the second chemical spill in the river this year. In February, river access was shut down in the Wayne County town of Flat Rock after an oil sheen was discovered. That pollution was eventually traced back to a local steel processing factory.

Elsewhere in Michigan, the Flint River and St. Marys River have suffered spills this year. In June, a discharge of oily black chemicals prompted a river no-contact order in Flint. The spill was traced back to Lockhart Chemical Co.

Also in June, the Algoma Steel mill in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario spilled oil into the St. Marys River, which flows between Lake Superior and Lake Huron.

Environment and conservation groups reacted with outrage on Tuesday, noting that the Huron River, a valuable, publicly shared natural resource with a seven-county watershed, was again suffering at the hands of the private sector.

In a statement, Lisa Wozniak, director of the Michigan League of Conservation Voters denounced Tribar’s two-day delay in disclosing the release and called out the inattention being paid to pollution concerns this election cycle.

“Toxic contamination in our drinking water continues to afflict Michiganders and we’re alarmed by the lack of attention on the campaign trail being dedicated to this tremendous threat – Democrats and Republicans alike,” Wozniak said.

On Twitter, U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin, whose Congressional district includes parts of the river, said the hexchrome release demonstrates the need to “do more to protect our waterways, groundwater & drinking water.”

“We’ve been working on getting more testing for folks exposed to these substances, but we need to phase these chemicals out of our manufacturing (as many other countries have done) and do more at the local, state, and federal levels hold polluters accountable,” Slotkin wrote.

Rebecca Esselman, director the Huron River Watershed Council (HRWC), said the river used to be known as the cleanest urban river in Michigan. “PFAS, dioxane and now hexchrome — these have taken that from us. It’s really defeating.”

“All three of these contaminants hitting the river originate from manufacturing. That sector has to do better. Our regulators have to be able to do better,” Esselman said.

Tribar, she said, “needs to be shut down.”

“I don’t think this is anything where a fine, probation or additional oversight is going to be sufficient,” Esselman said. “Two strikes and you’re out.”

Messages sent to Tribar executives Tuesday evening were not immediately returned.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Hot, dry summer: Dutch government declares water shortage

quote:

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch government declared a national water shortage Wednesday caused by the hot, dry summer that is parching much of Europe, and formed a national team to draw up measures to manage supplies, while asking the public to also chip in with savings.

“The water shortage is already having a negative effect on shipping and agriculture in particular,” said Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management Mark Harbers.

He urged people “to think carefully about whether they should wash their car or completely fill their inflatable swimming pool. The Netherlands is a water country, but our water is precious here too.”

lookin forward to the update to A Full Life where the family flees from florida to europe

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Will this affect the world's largest carbon capture facility??

Yes! It will be working overtime to capture all of the carbon released by the volcano!

It's in a different place pretty far away, though it had looked like there was going to be an eruption underneath a geothermal plant a few months back, and afaik that's a neighboring volcanic field so that might still be on the menu.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

loving life sentences

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

loving life sentences

Lol I read this several times trying to figure out what you meant. Eventually I landed on it being like a life sentence for anyone living along the river. Then a few minutes later I was looking at something else and I realized you meant life sentences for the people responsible, something that was apparently almost inconceivable to me. Lol. Lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Lol I read this several times trying to figure out what you meant. Eventually I landed on it being like a life sentence for anyone living along the river. Then a few minutes later I was looking at something else and I realized you meant life sentences for the people responsible, something that was apparently almost inconceivable to me. Lol. Lmao

yeah i know, an idle fantasy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Oh hey that's just down the street

Hooray cars!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

thousands of gallons of 5% hexavalent chromium liquid

rip ann arbor

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rip lake erie

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

loving life sentences

Judge: I sentence you, CEO, to a lifetime of a billion dollars!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hex chrome is for making like 30$ plastic showerheads and poo poo look expensive.

very important stuff worth the risk

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i used to live just outside an active cancer plume caused by hex chromium being released from a metal pipe manufacturer (they just vented their machines straight into the air lol), they got busted by california for violating prop 65 (i.e. they got in trouble for not telling all the people living near them that they would get cancer if they stepped outside).

so the company responded by moving the machines to texas lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rip all life on earth as we know it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
the rip at the end of the universe

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
it's gonna own watching biden pretend to drink detroit water in a year to show that it's actually safe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hubbert posted:

the rip at the end of the universe

its in your shorts when you bend down to drink hex chrome water

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

:negative:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The best part of the hexachrome story is that they pfas coat it to make it safer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The best part of the hexachrome story is that they pfas coat it to make it safer

you don't even want to know what the hexavalent chrome is plated over to reduce the hazard

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

holy poo poo.

also if you need to help explain how bad this is to people - i've found that most people have seen or know about erin brockavich and thats the chemical everyone got cancer from in the town she got the class action law suit going for.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real hurthling! posted:

Hubbert posted:

:negative: riiiiiip

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

edit: not sure how safe Id feel standing where those people are but have fun I guess

I have some ex-colleauges / friends in Iceland and the last time this happened I asked one of them about it and he said that Icelandic search & rescue was basically wholly engaged in relief efforts because (mostly native, non tourist) people were driving as far as they could, not understanding or being willing to hear that seeing anything required an hours long, arduous trek across sun-baked land, and were just setting out without supplies, lovely footwear, etc.

It sounded to me like the kind of thing that (at that time) would probably have been fine to do if you had a group of 3+ moderately experienced hikers who had good footwear, adequate water, first aid, transponders, etc -- at that point it's probably not any sketchier than any number of hikes around Iceland people do. But, this was pulling out boomers in their sedans who hadn't walked for 5 hours straight in years if ever and so it was a bad scene.

This person I was talking to is pretty fit and likes doing stuff so I asked him if he was going to go check it out and he laughed and said the drone footage was better anyway.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shima Honnou posted:

it's gonna own watching biden pretend to drink detroit water in a year to show that it's actually safe

tastes fine to me

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mediaphage posted:

yeah i know, an idle fantasy

I heard of this country where they go one further if they can prove you hurt that many people (especially babies) just to try to make a few extra million bucks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cloks posted:

tastes fine to me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cloks posted:

tastes fine to me

WITNESS ME, JACK

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have some ex-colleauges / friends in Iceland and the last time this happened I asked one of them about it and he said that Icelandic search & rescue was basically wholly engaged in relief efforts because (mostly native, non tourist) people were driving as far as they could, not understanding or being willing to hear that seeing anything required an hours long, arduous trek across sun-baked land, and were just setting out without supplies, lovely footwear, etc.

It sounded to me like the kind of thing that (at that time) would probably have been fine to do if you had a group of 3+ moderately experienced hikers who had good footwear, adequate water, first aid, transponders, etc -- at that point it's probably not any sketchier than any number of hikes around Iceland people do. But, this was pulling out boomers in their sedans who hadn't walked for 5 hours straight in years if ever and so it was a bad scene.

This person I was talking to is pretty fit and likes doing stuff so I asked him if he was going to go check it out and he laughed and said the drone footage was better anyway.

i got to see it last time it went off and yeah it was a decent day hike, probably six hours out and back total. water and snacks is all that was needed, the real threat was the wind was so strong at times that it could catch the lava plumes and end up raining scalding hot razor sharp chunks of rock all over the trails. the drone footage is definitely impressive but seeing something like that in person was pretty amazing and imo worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You know how volcanos block global warming? Well….

https://mobile.twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1554973952002252801?s=20

lol lmao etc