Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The GM R12 system in my dad’s 91 Caprice would form frost on the godamned vents in the right weather.

That's because it was undercharged. It's not a good thing. It's a warning sign that your evap is about to freeze over and you need to find the leak/recharge the system.

MrYenko posted:

Conversely the AC in my mom’s 93 Firebird sucked poo poo and could barely keep the car below 85°.

This is likely also because it was undercharged, but more so than the Caprice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah need to get some propane and isobutane in them refrigerant lines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nah, if it's not ammonia, is it even really a refrigeration system?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I learned recently that the same scientist, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.]Thomas Midgley, Jr.,[/url] was responsible for the popularization of tetraethyllead (TEL) in gasoline AND R-12 Freon.

We now blame TEL for killing tons of people and making the world dumber overall. Freon was a big factor in the destruction of the ozone layer.

He knew TEL was bad for you and took a vacation to Florida to recover from lead poisoning before participating in a press conference touting the safety of TEL by breathing its vapors for a minute. What an rear end in a top hat.

Freon was a breakthrough at the time because it was less toxic and/or less flammable than the other popular refrigerants of the time (ammonia, chloromethane, propane, sulfur dioxide). That one seems more like an issue of unknown and unintended consequences. Apparently he inhaled Freon and exhaled it to blow out a candle to demonstrate its safety.

quote:

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted polio, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I saw an article once that called him 'the single most harmful organism that ever lived' or something like that.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 3, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Thread content: i dunno why but I've always loved the way these look. I'm so tempted by this:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 3, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

I learned recently that the same scientist, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.]Thomas Midgley, Jr.,[/url] was responsible for the popularization of tetraethyllead (TEL) in gasoline AND R-12 Freon.

We now blame TEL for killing tons of people and making the world dumber overall. Freon was a big factor in the destruction of the ozone layer.

He knew TEL was bad for you and took a vacation to Florida to recover from lead poisoning before participating in a press conference touting the safety of TEL by breathing its vapors for a minute. What an rear end in a top hat.

Freon was a breakthrough at the time because it was less toxic and/or less flammable than the other popular refrigerants of the time (ammonia, chloromethane, propane, sulfur dioxide). That one seems more like an issue of unknown and unintended consequences. Apparently he inhaled Freon and exhaled it to blow out a candle to demonstrate its safety.

Died of pulley-o

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Imagined posted:

Thread content: i dunno why but I've always loved the way these look. I'm so tempted by this:

Because they look loving awesome OP.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always thought so too. Like something from a HALO game or like a prototype for what astronauts would drive on Mars.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2086923721499394/

gentlemen

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Died of pulley-o

Perfection, and still better than what he deserved.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Goddamn. My Lincoln Town Car's A/C works but doesn't get super cold, but all this talk makes me think I should get it worked on.

I WANT TO HANG BEEF IN MY BACK SEAT DAMMIT

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Surely inspired by this: https://www.thedrive.com/news/28311/watch-this-couch-drive-down-the-highway

VehiCROSSes look so awesome. Buy it, swap out the Isuzu running gear with an LS and a GM automatic and then drive it until you die.

Pulley-o. Thread winner.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

boxen posted:

Goddamn. My Lincoln Town Car's A/C works but doesn't get super cold, but all this talk makes me think I should get it worked on.

I WANT TO HANG BEEF IN MY BACK SEAT DAMMIT

Look man, if you wanna get naked in your own car we're not gonna stop you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I drove that in Battlefield: Hardline
No, really: https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/The_American_Dream

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Coredump posted:

Because they look loving awesome OP.

I'm still sad that we never got the roadster. Probably would have needed some sort of rollover protection added, but I thought they looked rad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The amount of work this plane requires is second to the amount of recertifications you'll have to go through if you ever want to fly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

PBCrunch posted:

Depends. A GM product that "functions as it should" has no air conditioning, seven different warning lights on but nothing else in the gauge cluster works correctly, and the leather has crumbled away to nothing. It is their natural state.

A Ford that "fais" has holes in the hood where half the spark plugs shot out. The transmission changes gears, but each shift results in spilled coffee and seat belt bruises from how hard the vehicle bucks.

A Toyota that "fais" looks OK, everything works, but the structural components have rusted away to nothing.

A Chrysler has bald tires from failed front end components, but it can't be fixed because the fake chrome lug nuts can't be removed. Oh well, the transmission doesn't work anyway.

A Volvo that "fais" will be in decent cosmetic shape with little rust despite bein 20 years old and never having been south of the Mason-Dixon line, the head unit will have been replaced, and the odometer reading is north of 200,000 miles. The last oil change, before the one done at time of listing, was during the Obama administration.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I talked to the VehiCROSS seller. Was super quick to respond, obviously loved his car, but dang, $9k seems like a lot for a ~25 year old car with 225,000 miles on it that burns oil, needs some paint, and has an ABS and Check Engine light on that, if we're honest, is only special because of its novelty.

I still want it though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goddamn 2nd gen MR2 and 3rd gen Supra prices. Stay down. Even C4's are climbing. :mad:

Imagined posted:

I talked to the VehiCROSS seller. Was super quick to respond, obviously loved his car, but dang, $9k seems like a lot for a ~25 year old car with 225,000 miles on it that burns oil, needs some paint, and has an ABS and Check Engine light on that, if we're honest, is only special because of its novelty.

I still want it though.

Follow your heart, we don't make wise purchasing decisions here.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if the VehiCROSS has one, but the Amigo had an A/C vent in the bottom of the steering column that points straight at the driver's crotch. If VehiCROSS has that too, it's a must buy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
On the other hand, black and red leather seats to burn your bum

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are several cheaper ones with lower mileage on Autotrader. It's like $1200 to ship a car cross country.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nitrox posted:

There are several cheaper ones with lower mileage on Autotrader. It's like $1200 to ship a car cross country.

3k these days for across country

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 6, 2022

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Fly and buy, just make sure you have AAA and a tool kit

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I KNOW WHAT I GOT

IDK, seems like the autopilot needs work if it lands the airplane upside down like that

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Door Frame posted:

Fly and buy, just make sure you have AAA and a tool kit

I had neither of these driving a used high-power volvo across the country.

Be bold! Be brave! Dare to be stupid!

KakerMix posted:

3k these days for across country

Yup $1/mile open transport is about what I’ve been seeing for most carriers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

rscott posted:

IDK, seems like the autopilot needs work if it lands the airplane upside down like that

But the landing gear is like new

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
For a fly and drive, how do people handle tags? I live in VA and get temps but the dmv explicitly says they aren't valid in other states.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NomNomNom posted:

For a fly and drive, how do people handle tags? I live in VA and get temps but the dmv explicitly says they aren't valid in other states.

In Michigan is completely legal to drive home without a plate for up to 7 days I think. I've gotten pulled over for no plates and they just let you go once you show proof of sale. Not sure about other states but check to make sure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah it's super state-dependent. Some you can get temporary transit-only tags (even as a non resident, I know for example I could get them if I buy a vehicle in NJ even though I live in PA) some let you go plateless with bill of sale as previously mentioned. You need to look it up for the state you're buying in.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

File this one to: "I wonder how this one survived?"

1985 Dodge ram royal se
$17,000

318 engine , all original, excellent condition. Everything works perfect. Never seen snow
Royal SE dodge ram extended van

I believe it has the redrum interior package

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

File this one to: "I wonder how this one survived?"

1985 Dodge ram royal se
$17,000

318 engine , all original, excellent condition. Everything works perfect. Never seen snow
Royal SE dodge ram extended van

I believe it has the redrum interior package

How the gently caress? Did it drive into a wormhole in 1986 and land here?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How the gently caress? Did it drive into a wormhole in 1986 and land here?

I can only speculate, friend. Given the kms, I'm guessing somebody bought this and kept it in a garage, only using it in the summer when...they went camping?

e: looking closely it has on the carpet those really old plastic carpet protectors my grandparents used to have, with may say something about the original owner

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That thing looks amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NomNomNom posted:

Transit tags if you want to do it right and not be hassled. Otherwise depending on the state you have a grace period between purchasing the car and plating it. DO NOT bring a plate from another car you own and slap it on there for the drive.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Transit tags if you want to do it right and not be hassled. Otherwise depending on the state you have a grace period between purchasing the car and plating it. DO NOT bring a plate from another car you own and slap it on there for the drive.

MA's laws in this regard are so convoluted and contradictory that the easy answer is "lol just get it transported"

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Virginia was that bad until covid when they started issuing 72 hour transport tags.

Screaming deal? Insane seller? Odo has obviously rolled at least once.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/woodbridge-1991-ford-ranger/7518781198.html

I contacted him because it's exactly what I'm looking for, but extremely sus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Kilonum posted:

MA's laws in this regard are so convoluted and contradictory that the easy answer is "lol just get it transported"

just move to a better state, then all these problems simply go away.