Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ardennes posted:

I liked the Wandering Earth. I mean I get that China has plenty of bad war films, but I would say there are at least enough recent films to give them some credit.

I mean… I don’t even know the last Hollywood film I actually liked. I think Disney pretty much killed American film outside of art house flicks.

Wandering earth proved china can make giant dumb disaster movies every bit as mind numbingly stupid as the worst hollywood can churn out. Kudos to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

hey remember that time the nazis handed our asses to us and we only just barely avoided having all our troops massacred because hitler decided a fast march on paris was more important than crippling our military for the remainder of the war lets make a movie about that

that decision always baffles me

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dunkirk was a big disappointment. as far as recent 'prestige' war movies go i thought 1917 was p good and surprisingly authentic, except for the german pilot inexplicably stabbing the protag immediately after they rescue him from a burning plane, that was dumb

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

How Darwinian posted:

Check out Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey into Night. Go in blind if possible.

bi gan kinda sucks. big pretentious fart in your face

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

War Horse is by far the most accurate depiction of WW1

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

nigel thornberry posted:

does this have any relationship to the Eugene O’Neil play?

bi gan likes to steal titles based on feeling

he has a film called Roadside Picnic, translated into english as Kaili Blues. But in chinese it's roadstide picnic, why? - because Tarkovsky's "Solaris" is based on a book called roadside picnic. That's it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
In the Mood for Love is also exceptional, though probably more akin to Tarkovsky

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TheNamedSavior posted:

Literally anything I say is "proof" that I'm a liberal at this point. gently caress off.

What do I need to do to prove I'm not? Say I love the ccpc? Apparently no one on SA has ever asked an Anarchist for their opinion on the country.

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Antonymous posted:

he has a film called Roadside Picnic, translated into english as Kaili Blues. But in chinese it's roadstide picnic, why? - because Tarkovsky's "Solaris" is based on a book called roadside picnic. That's it.

This bi gan guy sounds like a loving c-word.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
unhinged posting lmao

quote:

Reminder that the other thread will continue to mock Taiwan for being "a reddit country" regardless of how justified the loving drills are. And causally joke about nuking them.

quote:

China has you vote for Alpha Chad Xi and two guys who are pretty much just "Xi but not as cool" to decide if the CCP gets 500 or 501 seats in the parliament. Clearly a high democracy.

Meanwhile Other China has actual democracies, therefore bad. Also they are LITERALLY Amerikkkas India raj because they don't suck Real China's cock.

What a joke.

quote:

Aren't you a mod? When ya gonna ban them?

quote:

Don't care about the loving rules. Do what's good for the greater loving good.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if you want a good contemporary director watch Lou Ye

If you want a director who has some amazing films in several genres including big spielberg war movie and classic comedies and pretentious art movie (but the good kind) and boring propaganda movies executed with extreme precision watch Feng Xiaogang

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Horatius Bonar posted:

This bi gan guy sounds like a loving c-word.

yes he is extremely 'c'ultured

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if you want to watch the imo best living director's films watch Tsai Mingliang's narrative movies in release order

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Antonymous posted:

i thought it was stalker by tarkovsky that was based on roadside picnic

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

copy posted:

i thought it was stalker by tarkovsky that was based on roadside picnic

yeah solaris is based on solaris my bad. roadside picnic is about how an alien stopping on earth and tossing out its trash before it left would completely shatter our civilization b/c even their trash would be fantastical magic. well that's what a character muses. idk I can't read russian

copy
Jul 26, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

unhinged posting lmao

his posts in the imp zone were a treasure. always happy to see the named savior show up in a thread i read. extra lol now that i know he's a spicy lib on top of the rest of the terrible posting

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Antonymous posted:

yeah solaris is based on solaris my bad. roadside picnic is about how an alien stopping on earth and tossing out its trash before it left would completely shatter our civilization b/c even their trash would be fantastical magic

yeah the book and the movie and later the game loooooooosely based on both loving rule. That concept of alien trash being treated like era-defining magic to us really stuck with me

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

what was the movie from that insane clip i saw on twitter a year ago where the villain gets a bad report from a messenger so he knocks his head off with a bowstring then jumps in the air and shoots the guys head into a wall of fire

or was this just a crazy dream i had

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Antonymous posted:

yes he is extremely 'c'ultured

Well we've got a difference of opinyin.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

20 pages behind but relieved the servers are still up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Wang Karwai is amazing but he's kinda done, no? My blueberry nights sucks and the grandmaster doesn't really feel like him, well not what makes him so special. And those were his last to films, 2007 and 2013.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol hearing that in the "nice on!" voice from wii sports golf

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

copy posted:

yeah the book and the movie and later the game loooooooosely based on both loving rule. That concept of alien trash being treated like era-defining magic to us really stuck with me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/slavomir_YU/status/1554863657531604996?s=20&t=e6v9KtiKrj6FTM58wHPeHg

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I said Feng Xiaogang was good but I literally walked out of this movie which I've only done a couple of times in my life

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10564446/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I simply do number 2 before screentime.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I thought Don't Look Up was pretty serviceable. Was nice see a movie where the billionaires are narcissistic idiots who ruin everything instead of ironman.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Antonymous posted:

yeah solaris is based on solaris my bad. roadside picnic is about how an alien stopping on earth and tossing out its trash before it left would completely shatter our civilization b/c even their trash would be fantastical magic. well that's what a character muses. idk I can't read russian

it's mostly about a really badass canadian guy called red who's sad over his dead russian scientist boyfriend and his deformed kid. It's well written but it's very pulp sci-fi

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

has anyone seen the video im curious what evidence was presented to lead to this conclusion

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I thought Don't Look Up was pretty serviceable. Was nice see a movie where the billionaires are narcissistic idiots who ruin everything instead of ironman.

i thought it wasn't a funny enough comedy with a message i happen to agree with, but some of my friends insist it being garbage is intentional to really drive home how bad everything is and honestly, i don't even

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

"Why were you out late last night ignoring my calls and texts! You smell like alcohol! You can't hang out with those skater kids again."

"I'm sorry dad but the communist party officials made me do it."

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

IAMKOREA posted:

Who is the Chinese Fellini ?

jia zhangke possibly. if you include taiwan and hk i'd argue it's been far superior to hollywood since the nineties.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the bitcoin of weed posted:

ok this was an entertaining meltdown but nobody ever followed up on the gamer concentration camps and i would like to know more

lol definitely

i've been lurking for a while and i just want to say this thread has been very informative so cheers.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
do they put the gamers in concentration camps so they can focus on improving their skills? there are a lot of esports tournaments won by chinese players/teams so it makes sense that the government would want to support them

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i just want to know if china is actually putting gamers in camps and if so how i can support their noble crusade

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

indigi posted:

that decision always baffles me

Nazi tank and motorized divisions had so far outrun their infantry support (which was using primarily horses for gun and supply mobility) that von Rundstedt didn't dare commit them to the numerically far superior Allied forces bottled up in what was quickly becoming a strongpoint until said infantry support arrived. Furthermore he thought the Luftwaffe could do the job of keeping them cut off until infantry arrived.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Crusader posted:

i think this one is starting to glitch

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

has anyone seen the video im curious what evidence was presented to lead to this conclusion

The guy who made the video is a foreign born (US or Canada or something) Chinese guy who's been living in China for a while and makes some "debunking western lies" types of videos. The title and thumbnail is sarcasm.

iirc, that video wasn't particularly remarkable unless the viewer earnestly believed that Xinjiang was a full-on open air prison. Just a bunch of "look at the normal people being normal" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF02xWgkAJ0

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
what if i like v logs of people just hanging out xinjiang is it a good video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Let the Bullets Fly is a magical and incomparable movie. Jiang Wen plays a warlord-era bandit who attempts to take over rural town. He starts by hijacking a train, stealing the occupant's identity, and passing himself off as a regional tax collector so that he can rob local bigwig (Chow Yun-Fat). Chow Yun-Fat is fooled by his disguise but decides to crush him anyways because he likes being top dog, and two start an escalating back-and-forth of tricks and brutalities and deceptions.

This video on youtube is a fine makeshift trailer for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgkvqb7rhh4