Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We had tram lines on nearly every loving street here and a fleet of over 650 tram cars for a population of 1.6m in 1970. It was all thrown away in the late sixties / early seventies in the service of the automobile and I'm still livid about it.

Yeah I moved to Melbourne because it is one of the few English speaking cities to escape that fate. My home town of Vancouver removed all of its trams too and only started building commuter train lines in the 80s, so there's only like 4 lines for 2.5 million.

Vancouver huffs and puffs at spending 1 billion for a train extension like most North Americans cities. Meanwhile Melbourne is spending $100 billion to future proof its already comprehensive system by building a suburban rail loop to connect all the spokes coming from the city centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoFitzpsP8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

McCracAttack posted:

How do you keep homeless people from walking into your neighborhood and doing drugs at you?

The government pays jobless people $1760 per month, not including housing assistance.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

McCracAttack posted:

How do you keep homeless people from walking into your neighborhood and doing drugs at you?

todd is not homeless, he lives in a van

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

We had tram lines on nearly every loving street here and a fleet of over 650 tram cars for a population of 1.6m in 1970. It was all thrown away in the late sixties / early seventies in the service of the automobile and I'm still livid about it.

This almost happened in Melbourne, in the 60s there were plans to demolish a lot of our infrastructure in order to build a huge web of highways. Public outcry, union pushback and a strong propaganda campaign from the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board prevented this. I think I read that if we had to build our tram network from scratch it would cost over 100 billion US dollars (even more in Australian dollars).

Here's a map of the highway system the Victorian government wanted to build before sanity prevailed.

And here's a pretty fantastic example of the sort of pro public transport, anti car, propaganda that was being pumped out in the 60s in order to defend our tram network: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1GUvcPEJc

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

they were posting in SA too

Yeah, 5-7 years ago, it was almost gospel that self-driving cars would change the world entirely and make public transportation obsolete, bring a new golden age etc etc. Part of that dream was centrally controlled cars...something that literally would never happen (and wouldn't make a major difference with traffic anyway). People were openly arguing "it was too late to invest in public transit" since the future was going to be here in "10 years" anyway.

It wasn't that long ago. Basically, they didn't want to spent a single cent on anyone else and also wanted "AI" to get rid of all the cars in front of them, this was their idea of a utopia.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Rome had an extensive tram and rail network in pre-WWII times which survived the war mostly intact. Current estimates point at ~5% of that having survived the great dismantling of the 1960s-70s and we've been struggling to catch up ever since.
Also the 60s were a nightmare of unplanned development to feed local large enterprises of the construction sector and we're also paying the price for that still.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mortons stork posted:

Rome had an extensive tram and rail network in pre-WWII times which survived the war mostly intact.

wow, the Roman emperors really thought ahead

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

wow, the Roman emperors really thought ahead

The ancient Romans might have actually had primitive guideway systems.. so not even that far off.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
boonies on the outskirts of LA County love having unwalkable, borderline undriveable suburbs

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dr. Killjoy posted:

boonies on the outskirts of LA County love having unwalkable, borderline undriveable unlivable suburbs

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

every time I look at this Brooklyn trolley map from the 30s I feel so sad, imagine having this now

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Now multiply this x1000 and you'll really understand

Zooming out a bit gives you a sense of the scale of the problem. It's a few city-like spots drowning in an ocean of suburbs.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

boonies on the outskirts of LA County love having unwalkable, borderline undriveable suburbs

maze-on-the-kids-menu-rear end development. looks like the planner had an edging fetish with how those streets all terminate just before forming actual intersections

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I love open-air prisons! 😃

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The suburb where I grew up in MN just voted to reject a rapid bus line from entering the city because dangerous minorities from the big city might use it to come to the suburbs.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the jones are out of paper towels! draw a line from their house to the nearest big box store to help them find their way without getting lost!

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

St. Louis also killed its street car lines, and stopped making cool maps with the river on the bottom :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dxt posted:

The suburb where I grew up in MN just voted to reject a rapid bus line from entering the city because dangerous minorities from the big city might use it to come to the suburbs.

$10/gal plz

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr. Sharps posted:

maze-on-the-kids-menu-rear end development. looks like the planner had an edging fetish with how those streets all terminate just before forming actual intersections

I! loving! LOVE! CUL-DE-SACS!

Maed posted:

every time I look at this Brooklyn trolley map from the 30s I feel so sad, imagine having this now

disgusting primitive technology. you want us to use rotary phones too? society has moved on, you luddite

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

$10/gal plz

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hedenius posted:

Zooming out a bit gives you a sense of the scale of the problem. It's a few city-like spots drowning in an ocean of suburbs.

And you can zoom out a lot more than that! It's hell!!! Which is a shame, because the piedmont can be really beautiful, and it's only a matter of time until this crap takes over the mountains.

My dream is a Marta line that goes directly to Helen. It's the only way to save the mountains from suburbia. (Also you'd have to expand Marta significantly within the metro area and convince people to ride it, but that's another story)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:rip: https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1554919225919143941

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
And not one person in the political sphere will suggest regulating cars further

The gun lobby wishes they had the coverage the car lobby does

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/johnbdias/status/1554786655164399618?s=21&t=kaQK4KtU2slMSWEEX8ntLA

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dxt posted:

which suburb?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the outcome of this investigation will determine whether we tut-tut or shrug our shoulders

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess those pedestrians must have been walking too fast

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

i guess... cars... aren't entirely bad????????

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

"Innocent" pedestrians?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mortons stork posted:

"Innocent" pedestrians?

First step of every death is an angel check

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i guess... cars... aren't entirely bad????????

they still have a lot of work to do to catch up to helicopters

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dr. Killjoy posted:

No one should look to the Antelope valley for good ideas

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

which suburb?

Im guessing White Bear Lake. I did my best to Google after he said that cause I was like who was up for BRT? So I could be wrong!

But that definitely sounds about right.

https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2022/05/how-a-dog-whistle-campaign-against-the-purple-line-forced-white-bear-lake-transit-into-a-corner/

Awful, that route looks super effective!

Edit: I was gonna call it lily-white but 90%!?! Jeeeeesus. You have to work for those kinds of numbers.

Boywhiz88 has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Aug 4, 2022

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they still have a lot of work to do to catch up to helicopters

I saw some lefty podcaster tweet about how the helicopter is a naxalite maoist and delights in killing its self-important rich douchebag users and the quote has been stuck in my head ever since

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Toronto still has a semblance of a tram network:

(the green and yellow lines are subways)

But it's still nothing compared to what it was in the 1930s:

Two of the major lines there were replaced by subways (Yonge and Bloor), and some of them are still intact, but a lot are just gone. And these days the trams (which we call "streetcars" because I guess Canadians don't like the word tram) are often hell to ride because they go even slower than all the traffic around them, so you go about walking pace any time there are cars on the road, which is all the time. The couple that have been given separated right of way down the centre of wide streets are really nice though.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can barely stand to visit Atlanta. Every time something fun comes up that I want to do there, I have to weigh it vs driving in that traffic. I don't know how people can stand to live there.

are flights to atlanta still like $16

Apr 7, 2003

I like the inclusion of the word 'innocent,' like the natural assumption is that pedestrians are responsible for their own deaths unless proven otherwise.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cool av posted:

are flights to atlanta still like $16

I don't think cheap flights exist right now, anywhere

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Another stunning display of American freedom

https://old.reddit.com/r/notjustbikes/comments/wfhp2r/just_driving_back_from_my_morning_jog_if_you_need/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

vyelkin posted:

Toronto still has a semblance of a tram network:

(the green and yellow lines are subways)

But it's still nothing compared to what it was in the 1930s:

Two of the major lines there were replaced by subways (Yonge and Bloor), and some of them are still intact, but a lot are just gone. And these days the trams (which we call "streetcars" because I guess Canadians don't like the word tram) are often hell to ride because they go even slower than all the traffic around them, so you go about walking pace any time there are cars on the road, which is all the time. The couple that have been given separated right of way down the centre of wide streets are really nice though.

So many of these streetcars go down streets that allow parking in the curb lane, which basically means they're often reduced to one lane streets. Then there's the fact that the new streetcars are really long and heavy, and take forever to get going, which makes it even worse when stuck in stop-and-go traffic or when they inevitably hit every other red light. On top of that, most stops require passengers to cross through the turning lane to get to or from the middle lane where the streetcar is, and of course car drivers are so impatient and angry about being stuck in traffic that they often blast through the turning lane as fast as possible when the streetcar stops to try to beat the doors opening. The number of times I've seen streetcar passengers get clipped by someone's car is insane.

But we can't take parking off the streets or restrict the amount of drivers because that would make it more difficult for people to commute.