Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

CuddleCryptid posted:

When Neurolink gets fully realized and you can just upload your consciousness to the net (what, 1, 2 years from now? Clearly short term) then he'll be laughing at the digital landpoors who now want a piece of his investment.

when the first full dive mmo comes out i plan on becoming the legendary black swordsman guts weedlordkirito and using my many talents* to beat an mmorpg

*i watched sword art online abridged once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1554846305603706880

Kinda sad about this one even though I know Blizzard and NetEase both suck. It likely would have just been another Diablo Immortal anyways, and the mobile MMORPG space is where everyone is going now and it's way the gently caress over saturated.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not that most phone games aren't terrible, NetEase and other Chinese phone games just seem to be in their own tier of terrible.

I would like to see a proper Western developer actually make a big title phone game instead of farming it off to China to make a microtransaction-riddled POS that's dead on arrival, but I guess that's why I don't do a business.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

Entropia? Is the OG scam MMO still going? :lmao:

i played RO with a guy that tried that back in early-mid 00s?

said if you didn't drop a bunch of money in it first thing out of the gate, the only gameplay was camping oil barrel spawns outside noobtown, trying to pick them up before anyone else, and selling them

even loving lineage 2 was nowhere as insane as entropia lmao

Protocol7 posted:

I would like to see a proper Western developer actually make a big title phone game instead of farming it off to China
lmfao

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Diablo Immortal has made $100 million despite the massive negative press. Whether they're made in China or the US, there is no future for big-budget mobile games except microtransaction hellscapes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Truga posted:

said if you didn't drop a bunch of money in it first thing out of the gate, the only gameplay was camping oil barrel spawns outside noobtown, trying to pick them up before anyone else, and selling them

Somewhere somebody thinks fondly back on this and wonders why MMOs are so lovely now. "Oil barrel camping really made you feel like you EARNED it"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What online games are good for having fun and making friends?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ff14 has the most social scene out of all the big MMOs I think with housing and all that.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i've made a decent number of friends on the wow private server "chromiecraft" and also on everquest live servers but those aren't actually good games, i have fun despite the games

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1554846305603706880

Kinda sad about this one even though I know Blizzard and NetEase both suck. It likely would have just been another Diablo Immortal anyways, and the mobile MMORPG space is where everyone is going now and it's way the gently caress over saturated.

I guarantee you that it would have been a ripoff of Black Desert Mobile or that Ni No Kuni game but with even more painful microtransactions. The disagreement was over 'financing' which makes me think they couldn't agree over the monetization aspect...

I wish we could at least get more info on Blizzard's cancelled projects. I believe they are still working on that new MMO IP that they hired a bunch of people for. It's too bad they are so obsessed with the Chinese market that they could give a poo poo about their western playerbase. Capitalistic greed ruins everything.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Brass posted:

Capitalistic greed ruins everything.

Well, that and rampant unchecked sexual harassment.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Is it bad that I have to wonder which side was trying to get the microtransactions to be more predatory?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Update: there are no good MMOs out so I'm being forced to level a character through WoW BCC so I can play WOTLK when it comes out. :doh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s not true. FFXI is still out and is in its best state ever. On the free side of things, Warhammer Return of Reckoning is still out I think.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I'm extremely bored and I need a dopamine infusion. Should I start FFXIV or WoW Classic, which I seem to understand has an expansion coming soon?

I tried FFXIV years ago and the early game grind killed me. Dismissed WoW because gently caress Blizzard. I'm not a MMO guy either but I had a short infatuation with EVE, OSRS and RS3 and my heart broken by Lmao World.

I'm more partial to WOW but I know everybody loves FFXIV and can't loving stop praising it left and right. I don't particularly care for the anime aesthetic.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 5, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Classic WoW is fun if you have a buddy or a group of people to play with, the slow pace makes it feel a lot more engaging or whatever. It's an old-school RPG without any QoL poo poo though, so you'll be expected to play it a lot lot lot doing extra repetitive, extra meaningless poo poo compared to the repetitive/meaningless poo poo you do in a normal RPG.

FFXIV is ... complicated. People loving love it (myself definitely included), but it's really not particularly impressive on the gameplay part. If anything, it's a loving boring game to actually play until pretty late for most classes. The story/aesthetic/presentation/characters, however, are what people really fall in love with. If those things won't appeal to you then it's not worth getting into. Someone in the discord said to a new player that if you like FFXIV more than other games, it probably means you like other forms of media more than video games, and frankly I get it.

Honestly (and I hate to say it, I really do) WoW retail is fine for a forever-grind that you can play as much as you want and always be behind the curve. The story is dogshit, the aesthetic is crumbling, and the company itself is a cesspool but for reliable dopamine hits WoW retail is pretty good. Run dungeon, get a loot and some xp/gold/token, run slightly harder dungeon, press flashier buttons, see bigger numbers, etc. Just, you know, don't expect much out of it. It absolutely does not respect your time, the community is pure poop, but you can mostly turn it into a fun solo adventure, riding a horse around and slaying boars in fields or whatever. Also filling bars.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 5, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just play ff14 for the story, it's probably one of the best story centered rpgs around, even with the slow start

then if you still wanna raid when you hit level 50/60/etc content, go for it

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

There are so many WoW private servers out there, doing neat things that Blizzard would never bother with.

They're all filled with some very angry people, but so is retail WoW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the FF14 raids are really fun. Even the old ones the first few thousand times you run them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
high end FFXIV is good

everything to get there is not

the story is a C+ at best

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Third World Reagan posted:

high end FFXIV is good

As I recall, the evil guys with the armor and robots were waking up earth spirits to power a giant robot that they were going to sue to conquer three neighboring countries? That was the plot of ARR, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
kinda, but as it turns out arr is mostly just world building, and it really pays off

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Whether you enjoy the story in ARR largely depends on how good your memory is for plotlines.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kedo posted:

Update: there are no good MMOs out so I'm being forced to level a character through WoW BCC so I can play WOTLK when it comes out. :doh:
Lost Ark is good if your definition of good is slowly consumes your entire life by making every last second you put into the game feel mildly enjoyable and rewarding as you build a more and more powerful engine to shove your characters to new vertical power heights through doing the same content over and over again.

Lost Ark is bad if your definition of good is Everquest, UO, DAoC, FFXIV, 4-6 hours and feeling done for the week, etc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 5, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Third World Reagan posted:

high end FFXIV is good

as a first timer running up natural (no level/msq skips):

* arr through 2.0 starts weak and ends AMAZING. the end cutscenes were well worth the expensive scotch i poured while i watched it roll out
* 2.0 through 3.0 is absolute dogshit and i hated it and almost quit
* heavensward ended up quite charming and i laughed and cried a bit. rip to those
* stormblood started weak and got real, real good about halfway through. im currently finishing that out

im sure you could do a writer vs story quality graph on this game and have it map pretty tightly but i'm just going to yeet myself into it dumb stories be damned

xiv has some serious roller coaster as far as story quality, but i'm gonna see it through to the end

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Thanks for indulging me. Honestly reading from your responses it seems the two MMOs I've mentioned come with big drawbacks (mismanaged game from crap company vs anime grind) and I keep wondering if at 35 I should just find a new hobby instead of trying to see if any MMO sticks, especially since I'm talking about two big names, not niche titles.

The only little fun I had playing MMOs was in Eve Online, when I found out I could make a living stealing loot from people ratting and selling it for a profit. Dishonest work, but a man's gotta eat, right? I liked that emergent aspect of gameplay and I've been looking for something since. But sandbox MMOs are just niche and these days it seems it's theme park single player RPG disguised as MMOs. Meh.

I guess I'll try FFXIV once again and see if this time it clicks for me, while desperately waiting for the next big thing in the genre like everybody else in this thread.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People’s problem with FF14 is not a grind, it’s that there is a huge amount of filler story that turns a lot of people off the game if they’re playing it to raid or whatever.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

* arr through 2.0 starts weak and ends AMAZING. the end cutscenes were well worth the expensive scotch i poured while i watched it roll out
* 2.0 through 3.0 is absolute dogshit and i hated it and almost quit
* heavensward ended up quite charming and i laughed and cried a bit. rip to those
* stormblood started weak and got real, real good about halfway through. im currently finishing that out

Concurring 100% with this.

And then you hit endgame and all that seeming complexity in gearing for stats and substats turns out to be a lie and only ilvl matters. That's why I went back to the equipment swapping insanity of FFXI recently.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Lifroc posted:

Thanks for indulging me. Honestly reading from your responses it seems the two MMOs I've mentioned come with big drawbacks (mismanaged game from crap company vs anime grind) and I keep wondering if at 35 I should just find a new hobby instead of trying to see if any MMO sticks, especially since I'm talking about two big names, not niche titles.

The only little fun I had playing MMOs was in Eve Online, when I found out I could make a living stealing loot from people ratting and selling it for a profit. Dishonest work, but a man's gotta eat, right? I liked that emergent aspect of gameplay and I've been looking for something since. But sandbox MMOs are just niche and these days it seems it's theme park single player RPG disguised as MMOs. Meh.

I guess I'll try FFXIV once again and see if this time it clicks for me, while desperately waiting for the next big thing in the genre like everybody else in this thread.

Try ffxi, it’s quirky but fun as hell and has some of those divergent gameplay elements. Unique job roles, tons of loot that stays relevant rather than generic ilevel crap like ffxiv. If you liked Eve you may enjoy it although it’s not a pvp focused game. New World is a shitshow of management but is still very fun to play if you like exploring and unique combat.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

High level XI gameplay is using Lua scripting to change 12-16 pieces of equipment two or even three times per ability or spell.

Swap in equipment to cast faster > Start casting > Swap in equipment that boosts the spell accuracy and effect > Spell casting goes off > Swap back into idle or auto-attacking set. All on a spell that might take half a second to execute. It's optimization heaven.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ranzear posted:

High level XI gameplay is using Lua scripting to change 12-16 pieces of equipment two or even three times per ability or spell.

Swap in equipment to cast faster > Start casting > Swap in equipment that boosts the spell accuracy and effect > Spell casting goes off > Swap back into idle or auto-attacking set. All on a spell that might take half a second to execute. It's optimization heaven.

I have never heard of anyone else doing this.

Most endgame FFXIV people I know spend far more time playing fantasy dress up than raiding. The community is really nice (as long as you don't say anything bad about the game).

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

When was the last time you played? Spellcast and its replacement Gearswap have been utilized by serious players since Treasures (2006) at the latest. Yes it could be done with in-game macros, but those don't reach the same precision and versatility, like accounting for day of the week for what belt to wear for a given spell or changing gear based on your pet using abilities.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I just like FFXIV because I can play it with a controller. And the aesthetic doesn’t bother me even though I have a pretty low tolerance for anime bullshit.

Also I am an officer of a huge FC full of really nice people so even when I’m not actively playing I log in a few times a week to say hi to my friends and see how they are doing. It’s a nice game for a 40 year old casual because there are so so many things you can do other than savage raids.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Gear swap macros were a thing in XI even back when I was leveling during toau, you hit them even when grinding crabs on the beach if you happened to have the few relevant gear pieces at those levels.

XIV has a very good crafting system, though these days it's very deterministic unless you try for specific cutting edge cheevo only stuff, which has the added effect of the market being bottled to hell now. Housing let's you do some very impressive customization if you're into MMOs for advanced dress up, but getting anything besides a room now is basically impossible. Those are the two systems outside the story that's most notable imo.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I would also recommend giving GW2 a consideration. The game has many issues but most of them only really affecting veteran/'hardcore' players. For a complete newcomer it's a blast.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

WOTLK is probably the most popular WoW expansion, it's the one that everybody played and remembers. WoW's combat is still the most stisfying, imo, but the classes have been extremely watered down in the last couple expansions, doubt that's going to change in the future. Playing WoW Classic might be up your alley but you'd be right to avoid giving Blizzard your money. The community is pretty bad too, I come back to play maybe twice a year for a couple weeks at a time and it's always the same trolls in trade chat every year. I have so many people on ignore that I can't understand what people are talking about in general chat. A chunk of people hate-play this game. Find the right server, especially in classic.

I have been looking for a new MMO myself, personally I've been eyeballing GW2 or ESO. I played a little of both when they first came out but never kept up with them. I hear good things about both.

FF14 was too linear/cookie cutter for me. I thought the storytelling was amazing (for the most part...) and I really enjoyed the dungeon designs and boss mechanics especially, just dont like the combat. WoW just feels more snappy and responsive. Both games have really boring rotations imo. I plan to eventually come back and finish Endwalker.

LLSix posted:

I have never heard of anyone else doing this.

Most endgame FFXIV people I know spend far more time playing fantasy dress up than raiding. The community is really nice (as long as you don't say anything bad about the game).

You two are talking about two different Final Fantasy mmos.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Honestly, maybe try BDO. No subscription which is nice, and it still has some of the best combat in MMOs, plus PVP if you want to do that. It's still very much a Korean MMO if you want to min-max in late game, but if you just want a temporary game where you just blow poo poo up, it's great to hop into a couple times a year. The season system is crazy fast for trying out the new characters, and even though upgrading gear is still a hellscape of smooshing things together hoping it doesn't break, they've streamlined a ton of it to make it a bit more accessible for casual players.

Basically it's some of the best MMO stuff out there undercut by also being one of the most Korean MMOs. It's a very weird game, but it's pretty, easy to lose yourself in for a bit, and feels good to play until you hit the awful hellgrinds. So great for something you just want to fill time with sometimes before going back to your main games.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

I would also recommend giving GW2 a consideration. The game has many issues but most of them only really affecting veteran/'hardcore' players. For a complete newcomer it's a blast.

this is correct

also, most of the story p. decent by mmo standards

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Brass posted:

You two are talking about two different Final Fantasy mmos.

Lol, yes we are. My mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah this is a pretty good recommendation. I've been thinking of getting back into it but waiting for a sale. I love FF14 but I'm pretty much a content locust who plays a ton for a few months and then quits for a year or two until there is more content to come back to.

I've gotten old enough that I can't really stomach any MMO (or MMO-like) high level gear grind anymore.