Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

zhou yongkang stole ten figures

Is that where my He-Mans went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no its where a material portion of the profits of the entire chinese o&g industry for like a year went

he stole a lot, ok. like only one million rmb by himself and the rest by friends and family

(never you mind what xi jinpings family took lol)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's one of the fun things about China corruption. Often the actual guy in question steals very little but his family mysteriously just walks away with billions for completely unrelated reasons, who can say.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

I wonder if Nancy saw the meat shaped rock whilst in Taiwan.

Or ate at the toilet bowl restaurant.

if nancy only sees one rock that’s shaped like something that isn’t a rock then the meat rock is a pretty good choice. definitely better than the jade cabbage and the rock that looks like nefertiti.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

yugioh mishima posted:

if nancy only sees one rock that’s shaped like something that isn’t a rock then the meat rock is a pretty good choice. definitely better than the jade cabbage and the rock that looks like nefertiti.

Best as a two-course meal, first you see the jade cabbage and you walk away thinking "that was a pretty neat rock, I liked the grasshopper" then you see the meat shaped stone and time stops and you question everything you thought you knew about meat, stones, art, and life, walk away a changed man.

gently caress me what a rock.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m friends with a Chinese guy who is a Lyft driver. He and I didn’t meant to become friends, but you know, things happen. He’s from Guangdong, originally, came here in ‘96. We’ve talked about this kind of stuff before, but he felt it necessary to tell me how much he hates the CCP, and how Taiwan are the real China, culturally speaking, and a bunch of poo poo about how great Taiwan is and China isn’t. Oh well I guess it’s no worse than if he were a goon, and I agree with him, anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

and who says China is threatening towards international shipping?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Give China back to Japan IMO

:chloe:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alan Smithee posted:

lol

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well.....

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
these channels have shown me that japan is a colony of china

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

You can't cancel hotpot that's crazy talk.

I didn't want to cancel it but it's cash only and they didn't tell us at the door

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Tarquinn posted:

Well.....

that's strange, i thought it was impossible to watch the BBC in north korea

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
At least give South Korea back to Japan, no one will miss it

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Alan Smithee posted:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

At least give South Korea back to Japan, no one will miss it

Why would Japan want South Korea? In fact why would anyone want Korea? It's by far the worst country in Asia.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

korea is number one

(at misogyny)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I’m sorry I forgot to post an emoji to show you that I was in fact joking on the something awful forums general bullshit subforum

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I’m sorry I forgot to post an emoji to show you that I was in fact joking on the something awful forums general bullshit subforum

but your tag says youre a resident evil killer too!

separately,

the supposed live fire exercises have overlaps with taiwanese waters, has china encroached that close before with their military?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

bad boys for life posted:

but your tag says youre a resident evil killer too!

separately,

the supposed live fire exercises have overlaps with taiwanese waters, has china encroached that close before with their military?

Depending on how you measure distance, I mean I guess this is technically closer than Kinmen.

We're on the fourth Taiwan strait crisis for those keeping track.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Horatius Bonar posted:

We're on the fourth Taiwan strait crisis for those keeping track.

https://twitter.com/KyinzomDhongdue/status/1554787204240936961?s=20&t=DyTLeF8SAPgydlcggrr6wA

Nancy Trollosi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nancy "i am representative of the only chinese plurality district in the united states, most of whom want ccp blood" pelosi

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I love this 'Nancy Pelosi is going to plunge the region into violence' posture of mainland China. It's playbook movie supervillain poo poo, when the supervillain murders a shitload of innocent people and then turns to their enemies and claims 'all that blood is on YOUR hands.'

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

5er posted:

I love this 'Nancy Pelosi is going to plunge the region into violence' posture of mainland China. It's playbook movie supervillain poo poo, when the supervillain murders a shitload of innocent people and then turns to their enemies and claims 'all that blood is on YOUR hands.'

And they're only sanctions when they come from the Sāngzhōng SAR, otherwise it's just sparking economic warfare.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

5er posted:

It's all over twitter and reddit from leftists and tankies, too. They think the coming (possible nuclear) war with China (starting this weekend or sometime soon, because of Pelosi's visit) is entirely the US's fault because this is all just America's dickwaving against the poor lil CCP. The US is just provoking China, and there's nothing fundamentally wrong with China's entire Taiwan obsession. China isn't the weirdo for craving Taiwanese blood, etc., etc. USA = instigator.

I've also noticed that the internet people who have never paid attention to China are scared of their empty threats because this is probably their first time ever seeing China getting its feelings hurt and the tantrum that goes with it. They think America is playing with fire, and are exasperated that the Evil Empire is started yet another war. There is definite fear in their tweets/posts because they don't understand this is how China is.

I can't wait to see all the complaints about colonizers when the UK officials visit soon.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Obligatory:

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
As speaker she has some political weight but still. Nobody cares if they can't make money from it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Plan R posted:

As speaker she has some political weight but still. Nobody cares if they can't make money from it!

Her husband sure made a lot of money by selling that semiconductor stock before they passed the recent bill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Her husband sure made a lot of money by selling that semiconductor stock before they passed the recent bill.
As a TSMC shareholder: plz explain?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

As a TSMC shareholder: plz explain?

referring to this?

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...ctor-bill-vote/

quote:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) husband sold up to $5 million worth of shares of chipmaker Nvidia as the House prepares to vote on a bill focusing on the domestic chip manufacturing industry.

Pelosi completed a period transaction report signed on Tuesday that indicated that her husband, Paul Pelosi, sold 25,000 shares of Nvidia at an average price of $165.05 with a total loss of $341,365.

In total, the shares are worth between $1 million and $5 million.

A separate filing signed by the House Speaker earlier this month indicated that Paul Pelosi had exercised call options last month to purchase 20,000 shares of the chipmaker at a strike price of $100.

The latest regulatory filing came one day before the Senate passed legislation in a 64-33 vote to provide $280 billion to bolster the American semiconductor industry as the nation grappled with a chip shortage, which was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Asked about her husband’s decision to sell his shares given the timing of the House’s vote on the chips bill, Pelosi spokesperson Drew Hammill told The Hill in a statement, “Mr. Pelosi bought options to buy stock in this company more than a year ago and exercised them on June 17, 2022.”

“As always, he does not discuss these matters with the Speaker until trades have been made and required disclosures must be prepared and filed. Mr. Pelosi decided to sell the shares at a loss rather than allow the misinformation in the press regarding this trade to continue,” he added.

Paul Pelosi’s trading has been under previous scrutiny, including from Republican lawmakers like Sen. Josh Hawley.

Defense & National Security — Senate approves Sweden, Finland NATO bids
On The Money — All eyes on Sinema with Biden plan in the balance
The Missouri Republican sent a letter to Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Gary Peters (D-Mich.) last week about a proposal to ban members of Congress and their spouses from insider stock trading and cited Paul Pelosi’s purchase of the Nvidia stock.

“It has been more than six months since members of this Committee proposed measures to put an end to inappropriate financial transactions. Despite these efforts, Speaker Pelosi and her husband remain undeterred from cashing in,” he wrote in his letter.

During a news conference earlier this month, Pelosi said her husband does not make sales or purchase stock based on information she has.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
What has China actually done in retaliation for Pelosi's visit, besides move military assets that can't swim to the strait?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What has China actually done in retaliation for Pelosi's visit, besides move military assets that can't swim to the strait?

Unleashed the full might of their Tough Tweets Guys reserve.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Nothing yet seemingly but just we wait…uh…10 years and we will see then!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
it’s been a day

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Very Serious and Stern statements and blustery tweets

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There have been restrictions on imports, mostly agricultural.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2022/08/03/2003782894

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

We need more than one video to draw those conclusions. Not dismissing any other videos nor the conclusion itself, but you need a lot to stand on to be sure of anything. Yes yes Chinese qc and business practice etc, they have also exported millions of rifles with demonstrably good barrels and achieved a myriad other, actually hard, technical achievements. The Chinese industrial situation is not comparable to the russian one.

The PRC military world isn't good like we all know, but you need more before you declare it to be russia-bad.

I worked for an importer of Chinese guns and ammo into Canada for a few years and LOL their poo poo is junk and follows all the plotlines of everything you have heard about doing business with Chinese companies. Best country to deal with was the Czech Republic. I didn't deal directly with Switzerland except personally but they were good too. The US was a mixed bag.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mikerock posted:

I worked for an importer of Chinese guns and ammo into Canada for a few years and LOL their poo poo is junk and follows all the plotlines of everything you have heard about doing business with Chinese companies. Best country to deal with was the Czech Republic. I didn't deal directly with Switzerland except personally but they were good too. The US was a mixed bag.

I realize this isn't the Guns or Trades or Czech Republic thread but I'm still really interested to know more :allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mikerock posted:

Gonna need you to post a conference attendee pass before I believe anything you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I’ve looked into this poo poo previously, and all the pelosi squawking has been from alt-right morons who don’t understand timelines. If you can manage to put together a coherent timeline, I’d be interested to see it.