Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm going to buy it and enjoy it and none of you can stop me :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Scuba Trooper posted:

I'm going to buy it and enjoy it and none of you can stop me :twisted:

hosed up imo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is right up my alley, born in 86, played Doom3 when it hit (when I was 18). And HL2 shortly after too.

I'm immune to this, since I don't believe any art/entertainment after 97 can ever be old.

But I also find it crazy when I think about say 2010 stuff like Mass Effect 2, from 12 years ago, it seems like a million years have passed. And Lost was on.

So time is crazy is my point there.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I may not have known where I was going in Metroid, but at least I could see the way. Doom 3

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Who didn't play every 90s style FPS with the brightness and gamma way too high so it looked like you were in a snowstorm. That's how the pros did it, yessir.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

At least the hats look terrible

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

New Pokemon looks good to me but I loved Sword and Shield so maybe I'm out of touch with current Pokemon discourse

Current Pokemon discourse is that the pokemon games are fun and worth playing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Every subsequent Pokemon game is the best selling Pokemon game of all time. Hell the loving chibi Diamond/Pearl remake sold like 40 million copies. Everyone who you see complaining about the tree shadows on Twitter is buying 3 different copies of the game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm pretty sure my fiance is going to buy it so I'm going to buy the other version because she's going to buy them both if I don't and then I can at least spend some time with her when she's ignoring me to play Pokemon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure my fiance is going to buy it so I'm going to buy the other version because she's going to buy them both if I don't and then I can at least spend some time with her when she's ignoring me to play Pokemon

Your fiance sounds cool, is she single?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Current Pokemon discourse is that the pokemon games are fun and worth playing

Everyone thinks they suck but still gives gamefreak money so nothing changes

Im the only pokemon fan to actually stop being a fan i think, lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since Emerald when I was a teenager. Glad they're still coming out though and people enjoy them. Just not my thing anymore!

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
After not really enjoying a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver I loved Legends of Arceus. Since the original gameboy release I dreamed of an open world Pokemon game where I could run around, explore, and catch Pokemon.

I hope the new ones coming out expand on Legends but then when I read online it seems lots of fans despite their complaints really just still want that original formula they have not change in over 20 years.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

"Everyone" is quite hyperbolic.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Whose rear end do I have to eat to get suikoden and suikoden 2 ported to the switch?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Mezzanon posted:

Whose rear end do I have to eat to get suikoden and suikoden 2 ported to the switch?

Start with mine and we'll go from there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mezzanon posted:

I'd like 3 as well. But 2 yes please.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mezzanon posted:

I assume Konami Man's.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

really because you still sound like a Pokémon fan

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Most pokemon fans quit being fans at some point, usually around middle school when they discover other hobbies like masturbation

Some unfortunate souls combine the two and are forever lost

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

More HP and turn all your moves into accuracy-ignoring typed Hyper Beam with side effects attached, the most common of which were spread stat up/downs and other setup moves.

It had some interesting applications in VGC but it was a disaster for singles since it was free setup turns where you also kicked your opponent's teeth in with a ghetto Z-Move and had double HP so it was difficult to just DPS through.

E: The final straw was giving Choice item Pokemons ways to break their choice for coverage or to set up since going big also turned off Choice Items for the duration for some reason.

Yeah this is the gen I stopped following singles/smogon rules. This was part of it, VGC being surprisingly fun and everything in the game actually being designed around it was the other part. Now that I've spent a lot of time on both I actually do think VGC rules is the better game today

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Officially announced after a bunch of leaks, Switch port confirmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk

Pre-order bonus is, uh, three MP3 files.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Kins posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn! That'll go nicely with Triangle Strategy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Now and again I think about pokemon and smile. Not so much the games, more the extended universe, anime, strategy guides, that kinda thing

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

where on the pokedoll did the trailer hurt you guys

stop being bitter little babies lol game will be fine and will continue being the highest grossing franchise of all time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Now and again I think about pokemon and smile. Not so much the games, more the extended universe, anime, strategy guides, that kinda thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZ0Zwab6Oc

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Kins posted:

I know next to nothing about this game (series?) besides the name, but the trailer makes it look a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics. Is it like Final Fantasy Tactics? If I like those games, will I like this one?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The original game is what the people who made FFT worked on before they made FFT basically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it has the same director as FFT (Yasumi Matsuno) but the original version came before FFT. There was even a SNES version.

It has some notable mechanical differences but it's definitely a close relative of FFT.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

New Pokemon looks good to me but I loved Sword and Shield so maybe I'm out of touch with current Pokemon discourse

this is me. i thought swsh were good and scarlet and violet also look good. i'm going to buy scarlet. Hope everyone else has a great day.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Harrow posted:

Yeah it has the same director as FFT (Yasumi Matsuno) but the original version came before FFT. There was even a SNES version.

It has some notable mechanical differences but it's definitely a close relative of FFT.

Sweet! Color me interested.

... Still need to play Triangle Strategy too.

And actually while we're at it how about putting the actual Final Fantasy Tactics on this thing? There was that War of the Lions remake on PSP right? Shouldn't be that hard to port that poo poo to the Switch. I know I can get it on phone but I don't wanna play something like that on my dang phone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

And actually while we're at it how about putting the actual Final Fantasy Tactics on this thing? There was that War of the Lions remake on PSP right? Shouldn't be that hard to port that poo poo to the Switch. I know I can get it on phone but I don't wanna play something like that on my dang phone.
It was in the same Nvidia Geforce Experience leak list as Tactics Ogre and probably like a hundred other things at this point, so it's definitely in the works.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone asked about Road Redemption a while back and yes load times are long. I would just read something while waiting.

So so happy the Tetris 99 is old themes cause I’m switchless till mid august.

Very funny that during BotW chat someone wanted a revisitable mega dungeon that pretty much sounded like Phantom Hourglass.

Can’t watch the trailer but is this Tactics Orge a new one or a remake of one? All strategy games are good so I’m getting it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its a remake of a remake

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i like pokémon games, especially the ones where i can stumble out the door and pick up a nearby stray cat/dog and pet it and train it and use it to take out whatever dragons and ogres the reigning champion has

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can’t watch the trailer but is this Tactics Orge a new one or a remake of one? All strategy games are good so I’m getting it.
It's an updated version of the PSP remake of a PS1 port of a Japan-only SNES game (phew!). It reverts some of the less-liked game design changes from the PSP game, adds some quality of life tweaks, increases the visual resolution to varying levels of quality, and adds full voice acting and a fully-orchestrated soundtrack.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

ToxicToast posted:

I read online it seems lots of fans despite their complaints really just still want that original formula they have not change in over 20 years.

It's why I think they never tried shaking up the gyms after Alola. I loved the Island Trial, but there's so many that complained they wanted gyms back, and often they were the same group that wanted a change to formula.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not ever in favor of sprite smoothing, but I'll admit, the amount in the Tactics Ogre Remake looks pretty decent. I'll still be turning it off if as soon as I can.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

It's an updated version of the PSP remake of a PS1 port of a Japan-only SNES game (phew!). It reverts some of the less-liked game design changes from the PSP game, adds some quality of life tweaks, increases the visual resolution to varying levels of quality, and adds full voice acting and a fully-orchestrated soundtrack.

Cool! Having been turned off of FE since awakenings it’s nice to get these Tactics games I’ve never played and have them be super good.

Are classes customizable or unique like in the GBA FE/Triangle Strategy? I far prefer the latter for allowing for far better game balance and removing choice paralysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool! Having been turned off of FE since awakenings it’s nice to get these Tactics games I’ve never played and have them be super good.

Are classes customizable or unique like in the GBA FE/Triangle Strategy? I far prefer the latter for allowing for far better game balance and removing choice paralysis.

Tactics Ogre has class changing. Class changing in Tactics Ogre is sorta simultaneously simpler and more complex than in FFT. You just need to get a consumable item called a "classmark" and using it on a unit makes them that class, rather than having a big class unlock tree like FFT. Many classmarks can just be bought at shops but some special classes have different ways of getting classmarks, sometimes in limited numbers. The part that's more complex is that the skill mixing and matching is a lot more granular than in FFT.

You also get special units with unique classes like in FFT.