Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ruffian Price posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303105422/http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview I come back to this every once in a while. Eye-opening poo poo, especially the gender dynamics part

I’ve read this like 8 times and it’s better each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

WT Wally posted:

open a power point presentation and put it in reader mode. no jiggler required.

If you have access to Youtube you can also just browse to one of those lo-fi streams and keep it going on mute in the background. As long as that browser tab is visible the computer won’t go to sleep.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Panfilo posted:

Stripper math lol. There's a new word for me. How is it a scab thing when they are threatening to unionize to bring tips back? :psyduck:

I can go only off the tweet because it's paywalled and I have no context for the actual article lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

funny song about politics posted:

If you have access to Youtube you can also just browse to one of those lo-fi streams and keep it going on mute in the background. As long as that browser tab is visible the computer won’t go to sleep.

The fear is that they installed software that tracks your activity level, not whether the screen turns off because your manager might walk by

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I got this tip a few months ago in CSPAM (maybe from you idk) and Jfc it was a life saver for the three weeks that IT inexplicably set the auto-logout time to five minutes of inactivity

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I got this tip a few months ago in CSPAM (maybe from you idk) and Jfc it was a life saver for the three weeks that IT inexplicably set the auto-logout time to five minutes of inactivity

Im setting it to 15 seconds for maximum security

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think the idea is to keep teams from setting an afk status.

that’s kinda screwy though because I’ve actively used teams on my phone while my computer set it to away

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Plug in a PlayStation controller and enjoy your never away status no matter what is open.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Go to Teams Calander, and join a meeting with yourself, this will change your status to Busy. Then manually set your status to green. Teams will stay green (active or whatever) until you leave the meeting with yourself.

Or set your mouse on an upside down glass cup. The mouse is too far away for the optical thing to work, so it just keeps scanning, might work with keeping your mouse upside down too, not sure.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Get one of those drinking birds like in the Simpsons constantly opening and closing your start menu

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I would just simply not have to work for a living imo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
get back to work you loving slackers

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's 3:17pm and i've done ~seven minutes of work today lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

WT Wally posted:

i just let my poo poo time out because my bosses arent insane

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

do you realize how rare that is

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I just work for my dad's company as a manager. I'm doing great, dad isn't complaining.

Actually I'm also in a not lovely company that lets me chill if nothing is going on. also I don't even have a dad

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tokin opposition posted:

Get one of those drinking birds like in the Simpsons constantly opening and closing your start menu

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ArmZ posted:

oh i know im lucky

my old boss would def have been super weird about wfh

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Carthag Tuek posted:

My last boss was a micromanager. He would just call you out of the blue on Teams multiple times per day and if you didn't immediately pick up he'd call your cell phone. He called me so many times when I was in the bathroom, holy poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh i know im lucky

I'm currently in a holding pattern where my "manager" keeps holding meetings to discuss one day per week to be in the office, while we say "....yeah sounds good 👍 " and nothing happens.

Luckily she is only my manager in a vague "operational" sense, and anyone I actually work with is in a different country and doesn't give two shits where I work from.

Probably not sustainable forever, but :regd08:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh i know im lucky

I just kinda started working from home (which was a exceptional circumstances only privilege!!!) more and more, for longer and longer, until management finally gave up trying to fight it and just let me do it as long as I loving wanted and made it officially okay. Helps that the one guy in management who was really against it and kept trying to get me fired instead got himself fired because it turns out he was actually not doing even the tiny amount of work he was supposed to be doing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shame Boy posted:

I just kinda started working from home (which was a exceptional circumstances only privilege!!!) more and more, for longer and longer, until management finally gave up trying to fight it and just let me do it as long as I loving wanted and made it officially okay. Helps that the one guy in management who was really against it and kept trying to get me fired instead got himself fired because it turns out he was actually not doing even the tiny amount of work he was supposed to be doing.
"Well I spend all my time trying to dodge work so obviously-"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turns out that giving your wage slaves meaningful tasks and good working conditions is in fact a good way to increase both production and quality. Oh

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BonHair posted:

Turns out that giving your wage slaves meaningful tasks and good working conditions is in fact a good way to increase both production and quality. Oh

But if your wage slaves aren't spending half their time on smiling obeisance and half the time miserable can they even really be called slaves?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lacrosse posted:

My last boss was a micromanager. He would just call you out of the blue on Teams multiple times per day and if you didn't immediately pick up he'd call your cell phone. He called me so many times when I was in the bathroom, holy poo poo.

Would he get mad if you told him you were making GBS threads when he asked what you were doing

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would he get mad if you told him you were making GBS threads when he asked what you were doing

poo poo on your own time, time thief

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ArmZ posted:

My company let me install my own operating system (I got to choose which one) and my hard drive is encrypted with a password only I know lol

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

nexous posted:

My boss (the owner) at my last company literally called an all hands and told us to do exactly that lmao

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Milo and POTUS posted:

nexous posted:

It's this. He was the helpdesk manager and wanted me to log into their call queue despite not being helpdesk just so he could track my 'personal' time. I worked at a call center about 10 years ago that only gave you 7 minutes per day for piss breaks so I had to drink water strategically.

The stupid thing is that I'm not even a slacker, I was basically doing his job on top of mine because he was too bogged down micromanaging everyone.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

My boss (the owner) at my last company literally called an all hands and told us to do exactly that lmao

Whenever this happens, make a rough ballpark of number of participants times time spent times average salary. This will result in a Big Number, which you can then tell them they wasted. Remember to show your math and also to have a new job lined up.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/FTAlphaville/status/1555260131642048512
The article goes on to explain that Larry Summers wanted even more unemployment, so BofA looks great by comparison!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

BofA deez nutz

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My "immiserating labor is a moral obligation" hat is raising a lot of questions that are already answered by my "immiserating labor is a moral obligation" hat

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Miftan posted:

BofA deez nutz

big parody

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

My "immiserating labor is a moral obligation" hat is raising a lot of questions that are already answered by my "immiserating labor is a moral obligation" hat

I preferred the older formulation of "Arbeit Macht Frei" tbh

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

WT Wally posted:

:aaa:

I will try this first thing tomorrow and if it works you will be etched in my memory as a hero. loving Teams has recently started not delivering messages if you’re away. So you can’t just look over and see if the icon is blinking anymore. now you have to become available and then BAM a bunch of messages appear. gently caress Microsoft for catering to these awful control freak assholes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i installed the windows 11 upgrade and it use pre installed microsoft teams, gently caress that.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shear Modulus posted:

i installed the windows 11 upgrade

mistakes were made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

i installed the windows 11 upgrade and it use pre installed microsoft teams, gently caress that.

loving idiot moron, it's always good release bad release then good release again

Did you learn nothing from Vista and 8?