Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Saw Coheed And Cambria tonight and Mothica was their opener.

Bought her album and got it signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Just picked up Colter Wall's discography brand new. Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwu8SCcNjvQ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A preview

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm a tool because I walked in the record store, pulled two Tool albums off the wall, paid, and left.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm a tool because I walked in the record store, pulled two Tool albums off the wall, paid, and left.

cool goatse album

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Spanish Manlove posted:

cool goatse album

no ring

:colbert:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
lateralanus

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm the same, I bought both of those last month. Is that the Lateralus picture disc? Mine's nice and foily and looks cool but the disc itself is kind of noisy and I've read that that's because they're picture discs. It doesn't bother me much but I'm curious as to how you think it sounds.

Undertow sounds amazing on vinyl. Real punchy. At least compared to my CD, but I swear Opiate and Undertow had bad CD mixes. I noticed my vinyl copy of Opiate sounds a ton better than my CD.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 4, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Was visiting family in LA in July and did a little record shopping, which offered more interesting options than I'm generally finding in Virginia, including this weird album mashing up Pharcyde and Tribe Called Quest which I found at Amoeba, and while I'm immensely pleased to listen to it (the mix of Bonita Applebaum and Passin' Me By in particular is amazing), I'm not really sure how such a thing can be sold:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

CornHolio posted:

I'm the same, I bought both of those last month. Is that the Lateralus picture disc? Mine's nice and foily and looks cool but the disc itself is kind of noisy and I've read that that's because they're picture discs. It doesn't bother me much but I'm curious as to how you think it sounds.

Undertow sounds amazing on vinyl. Real punchy. At least compared to my CD, but I swear Opiate and Undertow had bad CD mixes. I noticed my vinyl copy of Opiate sounds a ton better than my CD.

The Lateralus picture disc sucks rear end sound wise on all of them. Looks great, plays like poo poo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

angrygodofjebus posted:

The Lateralus picture disc sucks rear end sound wise on all of them. Looks great, plays like poo poo.

I didn't think it sounded that bad. Then again I have some pretty decent hearing loss from too many concerts, so take that with a grain of salt...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember the Opiate CD sounding the best out of all their early albums. It's so loving crisp and you can crank the volume and it's just as clear.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just cannot fathom that there are people out there spending $150 on a 3 year old Andrew Bird album

image sharing

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was working in a small town yesterday and spotted a record store across the street. Tiny place, but the owners were a nice older couple. Started browsing and just about choked when I saw the prices. $45 for a copy of Thriller, Chicago albums in the $50s, $35 for Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Definitely sustainable prices for a town of under 3000 people lol

I felt bad since they were really nice and I was the only one in there, so I did manage to find a few decent albums under $10 and snagged those. Can't imagine they'll still be around six months from now.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

McCoy Pauley posted:

Was visiting family in LA in July and did a little record shopping, which offered more interesting options than I'm generally finding in Virginia, including this weird album mashing up Pharcyde and Tribe Called Quest which I found at Amoeba, and while I'm immensely pleased to listen to it (the mix of Bonita Applebaum and Passin' Me By in particular is amazing), I'm not really sure how such a thing can be sold:

Hell yes those are all great. I haven't listened to that Jens Lekman in a while, going to fix that

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

recent pickups

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

dorium posted:

recent pickups

I wanna snag that Yung Bae collection so badly but they're sold out. I'm wondering if they'll do a repress.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dorium posted:

recent pickups

been looking for that Cortex album for a while now, great pick up. how much did you get it for?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

dorium posted:

recent pickups

Jealous of that Bohannon pickup! I very rarely see his stuff in shops.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

El Marrow posted:

I wanna snag that Yung Bae collection so badly but they're sold out. I'm wondering if they'll do a repress.

Feel like he's pretty aware of how rabid his fanbase is for the records. Especially those first 4 where they just get sporadic represses every now and again. I could see him doing another batch, especially seeing how crazy this one is being priced by resellers.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

been looking for that Cortex album for a while now, great pick up. how much did you get it for?

https://furtherrecords.com/products/cortex-6-troupeau-bleu-lp-album-re

I've been buying from her shop for a few years (shes theslutbunny on discogs) and she's always got good prices on imports, never had a problem with her packaging and the records arrive in one piece. I'm glad she finally opened an online store for her shop so that I dont have to continue paying the discogs fee. Lots of great stuff in her shop, really want to check it out if im ever in the PNW.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Jealous of that Bohannon pickup! I very rarely see his stuff in shops.

Yeah, I scoop up whatever I can of Bohannon when I see them. Though a lot are pretty beat up when I get to them.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Barry posted:

Hell yes those are all great. I haven't listened to that Jens Lekman in a while, going to fix that

I was excited to find that one -- my kids are going to get tired of me playing "Your Arms Around Me" and pointing out to them how it's a song about kitchen safety. The whole pressing is great -- nice packaging, sounds good.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dorium posted:

https://furtherrecords.com/products/cortex-6-troupeau-bleu-lp-album-re

I've been buying from her shop for a few years (shes theslutbunny on discogs) and she's always got good prices on imports, never had a problem with her packaging and the records arrive in one piece. I'm glad she finally opened an online store for her shop so that I dont have to continue paying the discogs fee. Lots of great stuff in her shop, really want to check it out if im ever in the PNW.

nice thanks

i live in seattle, where it says further records is located but i don't see a physical address? does she have a store front/brick and mortar somewhere?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

nice thanks

i live in seattle, where it says further records is located but i don't see a physical address? does she have a store front/brick and mortar somewhere?

hmm, not sure, I always assumed she did with the amount of stock she keeps. maybe she's just really organized out of some garage somewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/furtherrecords/?hl=en

the IG page says its a record shop

and I found a business records page for the store, but the address given is in some residential area out in Kirkland.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 4, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

I just cannot fathom that there are people out there spending $150 on a 3 year old Andrew Bird album

image sharing

I think this is one of the problems with the internet in general. There aren’t nearly enough people in most local markets willing to pay that much for an Andrew Bird record, but globally there might be. Maybe that’s one of the good parts of the internet? Andrew bird is pretty good though

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BigFactory posted:

I think this is one of the problems with the internet in general. There aren’t nearly enough people in most local markets willing to pay that much for an Andrew Bird record, but globally there might be. Maybe that’s one of the good parts of the internet? Andrew bird is pretty good though

Yeah, I'm a fan, and it's why I want the record! But not for $150

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan, and it's why I want the record! But not for $150

There’s a sealed copy on eBay for $80

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BigFactory posted:

There’s a sealed copy on eBay for $80

I'm not that big of a fan, heh. The highest I've paid for a record so far was Sigur Ros for like $50. But thanks for bringing it to my attention.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Man, I thought I scored a nice copy of Kid A today for cheap, but didn't check every side thoroughly. Turns out there's burn marks on a whole quarter of side A :(

Lesson learnt

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

an iksar marauder posted:

Man, I thought I scored a nice copy of Kid A today for cheap, but didn't check every side thoroughly. Turns out there's burn marks on a whole quarter of side A :(

Lesson learnt

Hot stamper

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

an iksar marauder posted:

Lesson learnt

Why would they even sell that record at that point?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BigFactory posted:

Hot stamper

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why would they even sell that record at that point?

make a buck off of rubes like me

BigFactory posted:

Hot stamper

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Had to cancel a Discogs order after waiting 3 weeks for it to ship; the seller is a record store in Japan and they said “oh turns out we didn’t have one of the records in stock”

It took you 3 weeks to figure that out? They had very good feedback as well. They refunded without issue at least.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Some people selling on Discogs are also just dumb as hell. I was going over records with someone and we looked at a Minus the Bear one I have where the last one sold for 50 pounds but mostly averaged around $40 US over the last ten sales.

There was only for sale listing and they were asking for $300 calling it like new.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Enos Cabell posted:

Was working in a small town yesterday and spotted a record store across the street. Tiny place, but the owners were a nice older couple. Started browsing and just about choked when I saw the prices. $45 for a copy of Thriller, Chicago albums in the $50s, $35 for Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Definitely sustainable prices for a town of under 3000 people lol

I felt bad since they were really nice and I was the only one in there, so I did manage to find a few decent albums under $10 and snagged those. Can't imagine they'll still be around six months from now.

New record collectors tend to have way more money than sense, it's why discogs prices are absurd and a lot of new stores are popping up that see poo poo like that for prices like there and they actually manage to stay open. My guess is the people who own that store price their poo poo by looking at the highest listed/sold discogs prices which is something I see often.

BigFactory posted:

Much of the US is a big open space that has nothing in it. So when people live in places where you have to drive 45-60 minutes to get to a grocery store they definitely don't have access to record stores, comic book shops, and the like. That's probably one of the big reasons people pay high premiums for niche market and nerd poo poo online.

Schremp Howard posted:

Some people selling on Discogs are also just dumb as hell. I was going over records with someone and we looked at a Minus the Bear one I have where the last one sold for 50 pounds but mostly averaged around $40 US over the last ten sales.

There was only for sale listing and they were asking for $300 calling it like new.

One of the biggest assets to me is the discogs want list and patience. I've said this before but a lot of severely overpriced stuff does occasionally sell for realistic prices it's just that those things sell really quickly when they pop up. You may have to wait a couple of years or maybe only a week or so. But with 70+ years of recorded music out there and the amount of records I already have I don't have a problem with that. A lot of people forget that for the most part records aren't rare. With the exception of really esoteric poo poo or punk bands that were forgotten for a few decades and only pressed a few hundred copies of their one off single poo poo is just everywhere. The majority of poo poo people are typically looking for is not in short supply like with the inflation on absolutely everything right now the "supply and demand" part of the market is absolute bullshit. The supply absolutely meets the demand.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 5, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My wantlist is currently occupied with Bohannon and Tower of Power.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dorium posted:

recent pickups

Health is playing at August Hall Sept 18

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

My wantlist is currently occupied with Bohannon and Tower of Power.

Tower of Power rules, do you have Back To Oakland?

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

Tower of Power rules, do you have Back To Oakland?

sure do!

I'm mostly into collecting the David Girabaldi featured records because I believe he is easily one of the top ten best drummers of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwN6BAw8-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQIhoKrCPLk

just a monster.

Need to replace the self-titled record though, its got a pretty nasty warp that messes with the first minute of Side A and its also easily my favorite record of theirs.