Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
watch as china blockades taiwan indefinitely and the US sets up a berlin air lift type deal, but gets bored after a week or two when the news cycle moves on and nothing exciting is happening anymore and just stops sending planes over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

redneck nazgul posted:

oh, nancy flew there because she thought taiwan's chip industry was having a silicone shortage

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RFA has published two eBooks of cartoons. haven’t checked them yet but they’re probably full of right bangers

https://www.rfa.org/english/bookshelf

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

unwantedplatypus posted:

If the US's response to this is to militarize Taiwan further and push them more towards independence, I can't imagine the PRC doing nothing about it. I think the US might force their hand.

Someone needs to teach the great satan a lesson

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They had, actually. Star Wars was pretty popular adapted as a comic book.

https://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/

The original illustrations are pretty cool, and they also scribbed a bunch of stuff from other Sci Fi like Space Battleship Yamato.

This rules, I like how often characters switch from looking just like they did in the films, to looking like different characters. Chewbacca goes ping-pongs from looking like the film, to just looking like a a big gorilla, to a big chimp.

It’s like several guys were assigned to draw alternating panels based on the text, they couldn’t talk to each other, and only one guy saw the movie. Which is probably what happened.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

hekaton posted:

watch as china blockades taiwan indefinitely and the US sets up a berlin air lift type deal, but gets bored after a week or two when the news cycle moves on and nothing exciting is happening anymore and just stops sending planes over

west berlin had a fraction of the population of taiwan and was in easy flight range of the necessary supply centers

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Taiwanese open the cargo crates and instead of food inside there's javelins.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Taiwanese open the cargo crates and instead of food inside there's javelins.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mila kunis posted:

can't help but feel sand isn't exactly a commodity in short supply and they could get it from elsewhere??

You feel wrongly.

Glass-grade sand(which only needs to be 99.5% pure quartz) is relatively hard to produce.

Semi conductors are extremely contamination intolerant, and just grabbing a bag of half silicate half calcium carbonate off a beach will not do at all. I don't even know where you get sand that pure.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, the drills are basically the least that China can do without doing absolutely nothing.

And thank loving god for that. Let the west do a little victory dance and get bored and wander off. So glad cooler heads are prevailing.

It’s the equivalent of Iran bombing that one evacuated American military base in Iraq as retaliation for Trump’s assassination of Soleimani

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ikanreed posted:

You feel wrongly.

Glass-grade sand(which only needs to be 99.5% pure quartz) is relatively hard to produce.

Semi conductors are extremely contamination intolerant, and just grabbing a bag of half silicate half calcium carbonate off a beach will not do at all. I don't even know where you get sand that pure.

you can probably purify the beach sand

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
quartz sand isn't the sand they're halting imports of so chip manufacturing isn't a problem, it's the sand they use for concrete which is a lot easier to source

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I guess some articles say it's both kinds of sand so what do I know

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Actually if you can separate nuclear isotopes with centrifuges couldn't you do the same with glass until you could be certain you had silicon dioxide of sufficient purity?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, there’s a bully in the West Philippine Sea. No, it’s not America

Last week, in response to US Navy Secretary Carlos del Toro’s reaffirmation of America’s treaty commitment to the Philippines, China’s embassy in Manila issued a statement in which it made up a new slogan. It accused the United States of something called “navigation bullying”.

Put very simply, this is a preposterous notion—one which deserves only ridicule in response.

After all, Beijing has had over 40 years to get accustomed to America’s freedom-of-navigation operations (FONOPS) program, and to realize that it has not substantially changed in that time. Its application has always been worldwide and even-handed, and its objectives transparent.

If there is still confusion about this, China’s diplomats are invited to read the annual public releases of FONOPS activities, in which the US government clearly enunciates the purpose of the program, which is “to reinforce international law peacefully and in a principled, unbiased manner.”

A quick review of this year’s report catalogues the “37 excessive maritime claims of 26 claimants” that the US Navy challenged around the globe—a list which includes five South China Sea claimants (China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam) and seven formal US treaty allies (Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Italy, Japan and South Korea).

Do these other countries enjoy having an American warship occasionally pass by to remind them that their claims are excessive? I’m quite sure they do not. Yet they generally endure it with little protest, because they recognize that this is nothing new.

The United States has established through long practice its commitment to upholding freedom of the seas under international law, and the overwhelming majority of countries accept that, even if their own claims are demonstrated to be more than the law allows, the rules-based order ultimately benefits them as well.

In fact, China’s own rise as an economic power was fueled by decades of open sea lanes, stability and free trade this fair and equitable international regime has helped ensure. Now, having squeezed what it wanted out of this order, Beijing wants to write a new one in which it gets much more than its share, and its neighbors are left begging for leftovers.

So clearly FONOPS are not “bullying”, and they are not some provocatively new tactic. Nor is America’s mutual defense treaty with the Philippines something novel. The only new thing to see here is the extreme aggressiveness of the real bully on the playground—the maritime forces of the People’s Republic of China.

The Chinese embassy’s press release laughably referred to the South China Sea as “our common home”. What a wonderful sentiment! If only China’s practices matched this rhetoric, America’s senior officials would not need to constantly reassure its allies of its commitment to its treaty obligations.

In fact, we should all encourage China to embrace this idyllic common-home vision. Yet what we see instead is rank hypocrisy in the form of a large and increasingly bellicose nation, making and enforcing absurdly vast maritime claims that encroach right up across its neighbors’ legal property and almost to their front doors.

No country experiences this aggression as painfully as the Philippines, whose fishermen are daily intimidated and restricted from their traditional waters, and whose resupply missions to its own troops aboard its own ship are warned, inspected, blocked and even water-cannoned as Beijing waits for the BRP Sierra Madre to rust away beneath the feet of its lonely defenders.

Is this what China’s embassy means when it says they have “kept their differences and disputes in a proper place”? Or do they mean that the Philippines’ proper place is wherever their Emperor in Beijing allows it to exist?

Does the Sierra Madre pose a threat to China’s security? Of course not. It merely has the audacity to exist within China’s preposterously expansive nine-dash-line claim—a claim the United Nations Arbitral Tribunal correctly found to be illegal in a ruling so sweeping that one might almost say it was laughed out of court.

Unfortunately nobody’s laughing, because China has abandoned all pretense of respect for law, rules or norms, and has adopted its own standard—one which effectively says, “Everything I claim is mine.”

So who exactly is the bully?

(Raymond Powell is a fellow at Stanford University’s Distinguished Careers Institute in Palo Alto, California. He recently concluded a 35-year career in the U.S. Air Force, during which he served as his country’s air attaché in Vietnam and as the senior defense official/defense attaché in Australia.)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
America is unmatched in coming up with new names for stuff

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

(Raymond Powell is a fellow at Stanford University’s Distinguished Careers Institute in Palo Alto, California. He recently concluded a 35-year career in the U.S. Air Force, during which he served as his country’s air attaché in Vietnam and as the senior defense official/defense attaché in Australia.)

a war criminal giving lessons on bullying.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ikanreed posted:

You feel wrongly.

lots and lots and lots of industrial refining, basically.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DiscountDildos posted:

Yeah, his videos are fine for that.

Also, this youtuber's videos are good and she's doing a xinjiang series now in case you havent seen me post them yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok2d7ov_pTU

nice cameo at 10:20

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

earth's crust is like 75% silicon dioxide by weight. It is a matter of price rather than availability

if nature provides a sand that saves you 3 purification steps that's good. but only if the sand is abundant enough to be cheaper than just doing those 3 steps

looking it up, the purification steps look to be dissolving the sand, heating the sand to melting point and cooling it and discarding the last parts to cool, and also a tricky chemical reaction with zinc

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Aug 4, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

electronics grade silicon needs to be 99.99999999999% pure. Idk if starting with 95% or 85% really matters in the face of that except of course economically

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
an easy analogy is how europe could get its gas from LNG shipments but its a lot cheaper to get it from russia

now im imagining a big pipeline that pumps sand across the taiwan strat

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

taiwan's problem is energy too

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Some Guy TT posted:

Not to mentioned that Star Wars was at first banned in China, cause it stars Harrison Ford.

In 1997, he made movie with Martin Scorsese(who's also banned in China) "Kundun," met the Dali Lama, and is an advocate on Tibet's freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EDnC629s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/spaceprole/status/1554846418619219968

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

tristeham posted:

a war criminal giving lessons on bullying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
im sure that there's suitable sand somewhere else, but its kinda hard to get it to taiwan with the plan blockading all the main ports

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Last week, in response to US Navy Secretary Carlos del Toro’s reaffirmation of America’s treaty commitment to the Philippines, China’s embassy in Manila issued a statement in which it made up a new slogan. It accused the United States of something called “navigation bullying”.

Put very simply, this is a preposterous notion—one which deserves only ridicule in response.

After all, Beijing has had over 40 years to get accustomed to America’s freedom-of-navigation operations (FONOPS) program, and to realize that it has not substantially changed in that time. Its application has always been worldwide and even-handed, and its objectives transparent.

If there is still confusion about this, China’s diplomats are invited to read the annual public releases of FONOPS activities, in which the US government clearly enunciates the purpose of the program, which is “to reinforce international law peacefully and in a principled, unbiased manner.”

A quick review of this year’s report catalogues the “37 excessive maritime claims of 26 claimants” that the US Navy challenged around the globe—a list which includes five South China Sea claimants (China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam) and seven formal US treaty allies (Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Italy, Japan and South Korea).

Do these other countries enjoy having an American warship occasionally pass by to remind them that their claims are excessive? I’m quite sure they do not. Yet they generally endure it with little protest, because they recognize that this is nothing new.

The United States has established through long practice its commitment to upholding freedom of the seas under international law, and the overwhelming majority of countries accept that, even if their own claims are demonstrated to be more than the law allows, the rules-based order ultimately benefits them as well.

In fact, China’s own rise as an economic power was fueled by decades of open sea lanes, stability and free trade this fair and equitable international regime has helped ensure. Now, having squeezed what it wanted out of this order, Beijing wants to write a new one in which it gets much more than its share, and its neighbors are left begging for leftovers.

So clearly FONOPS are not “bullying”, and they are not some provocatively new tactic. Nor is America’s mutual defense treaty with the Philippines something novel. The only new thing to see here is the extreme aggressiveness of the real bully on the playground—the maritime forces of the People’s Republic of China.

The Chinese embassy’s press release laughably referred to the South China Sea as “our common home”. What a wonderful sentiment! If only China’s practices matched this rhetoric, America’s senior officials would not need to constantly reassure its allies of its commitment to its treaty obligations.

In fact, we should all encourage China to embrace this idyllic common-home vision. Yet what we see instead is rank hypocrisy in the form of a large and increasingly bellicose nation, making and enforcing absurdly vast maritime claims that encroach right up across its neighbors’ legal property and almost to their front doors.

No country experiences this aggression as painfully as the Philippines, whose fishermen are daily intimidated and restricted from their traditional waters, and whose resupply missions to its own troops aboard its own ship are warned, inspected, blocked and even water-cannoned as Beijing waits for the BRP Sierra Madre to rust away beneath the feet of its lonely defenders.

Is this what China’s embassy means when it says they have “kept their differences and disputes in a proper place”? Or do they mean that the Philippines’ proper place is wherever their Emperor in Beijing allows it to exist?

Does the Sierra Madre pose a threat to China’s security? Of course not. It merely has the audacity to exist within China’s preposterously expansive nine-dash-line claim—a claim the United Nations Arbitral Tribunal correctly found to be illegal in a ruling so sweeping that one might almost say it was laughed out of court.

Unfortunately nobody’s laughing, because China has abandoned all pretense of respect for law, rules or norms, and has adopted its own standard—one which effectively says, “Everything I claim is mine.”

So who exactly is the bully?

what’s a west Philippines sea?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont like sand its coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How long until the west starts calling a blockade or sanction on Taiwan the greatest humanitarian etc?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
china is committing economic genocide on taiwan

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
by shutting down microchip production china is committing genocide against the most oppressed group of them all: gamers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think the US might force their hand.

they as good as announced that this was their plan in February

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

first, this wasn’t a provocation. stop saying it’s a provocation.

second, xi did not respond to it forcefully. that means he’s weak! time for the next thing to try to get a response that’s also definitely not a provocation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
idk why the weak sanctions on Taiwan. they make the military exercises look weaker by way of comparison

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

first, this wasn’t a provocation. stop saying it’s a provocation.

second, xi did not respond to it forcefully. that means he’s weak! time for the next thing to try to get a response that’s also definitely not a provocation

it was a provocation...

... by China, when they threatened Pelosi, for going to Taiwan, which she is entitled to do, and telling her she can't, is bullying, which the US cannot kowtow to

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
of course it's not provocation. the strong do what they can, the weak do suffer what they must.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont like sand its coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-04/china-begins-illegitimate-irresponsible-live-fire-military-drill/101301412

quote:

In Beijing, security in the area around the US Embassy remained unusually tight on Thursday as it has been throughout this week. There were no signs of significant protests or calls to boycott US products.

"I think this [Ms Pelosi's visit] is a good thing," said a man surnamed Zhao in the capital's central business district.

"It gives us an opportunity to surround Taiwan, then to use this opportunity to take Taiwan by force," he said.

"I think we should thank Comrade Pelosi."

Which one of you is this