Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, I'm done with the tower for now - I solved two of the four riddles but it's just getting to be too much. For one thing I basically can't carry any more loot.

Well done for the Devs though - I was able to shove all of the as-yet-unused plot items into a container, instead of being stuck carrying them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

It does not persist through bg2. Your character is the only one who would keep those kinds of bonuses.

That said, depending on your class, wisdom might not do much for you.

If nothing else (I will put this in spoilers for the benefit of Jack (?)), wisdom in BG2 is one of the four attributes that you can sacrifice to the demon in the soul-draining hallucination in Spellhold, but I don't remember off the seat of my pants whether +1 Wis to Jaheira would be super-useful in BG1 in terms of bonus spell slots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm neck deep in Durlag's tower like the Big Muddy and Imoen is nearly level 7 which is when I was going to Dual Class her into Mage but if I dual class her in here I'll never get out alive aaaaaaaa

Relatedly, I've found a Wisdom book in the tower; if I use it on Jaheria is that going to persist through BG2? Or is my character the only one that directly imports and she'll just have a "generic" build?

You'll lose any experience you gain past level 7 when you do eventually dual, but you can always just choose to wait to dual her.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

You'll lose any experience you gain past level 7 when you do eventually dual, but you can always just choose to wait to dual her.

I did some thinking and decided I'd just keep her as a thief for BG1 and except the fact that she'll be slightly different in BG2. I just can't bear to be without the thieving abilities, and even though I could technically hit Thief 7 Mage 8 in BG1EE, I don't think I'm the kind of player to hit the XP cap; IIRC my one character that was entering the final dungeon was maaaybe level 8.

Regarding my knowledge of the game, I've played 80% of BG1 a few times but never quite got around to finishing it even though I'd easily say it's one of my favorite games. BG2; I played the prologue once, when it was new. Maybe this is finally the BG! character that gets through to the sequel - we'll see!!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack B Nimble posted:

I did some thinking and decided I'd just keep her as a thief for BG1 and except the fact that she'll be slightly different in BG2. I just can't bear to be without the thieving abilities, and even though I could technically hit Thief 7 Mage 8 in BG1EE, I don't think I'm the kind of player to hit the XP cap; IIRC my one character that was entering the final dungeon was maaaybe level 8.

Regarding my knowledge of the game, I've played 80% of BG1 a few times but never quite got around to finishing it even though I'd easily say it's one of my favorite games. BG2; I played the prologue once, when it was new. Maybe this is finally the BG! character that gets through to the sequel - we'll see!!

Make sure to play Siege of Dragonspear. It’s real good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

Make sure to play Siege of Dragonspear. It’s real good.

I was wondering about that, after reading that it was made by Beamdog, the EE devs. Glad to hear someone vouch for it, I'll make sure to play that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was wondering about that, after reading that it was made by Beamdog, the EE devs. Glad to hear someone vouch for it, I'll make sure to play that.

It’s very very good. At least, I think so. It’d linear, but there’s a good amount of side poo poo in each “chapter” and there’s decent use of NPCs you’d usually not play with. Plus: David Warner.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

It’s very very good. At least, I think so. It’d linear, but there’s a good amount of side poo poo in each “chapter” and there’s decent use of NPCs you’d usually not play with. Plus: David Warner.

David Warner, Nichelle Nicholls and Bill Russel all in about a week's time. It's been a rough summer for losing badarse people.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I enjoy SoD and think it's worth playing. M'Khiin is great.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I've never actually played the enhanced editions (a heretic! burn him! etc).

How does it work with BG2? Does the xp you get in SoD carry over? If so does that mean you start SoA overlevelled?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

David Warner, Nichelle Nicholls and Bill Russel all in about a week's time. It's been a rough summer for losing badarse people.

What do you mean "lose?" Did David Warner and whoever those other people are die?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yes

You may know Nichelle Nicholls as lieutenant Uhura on Star Trek (the original series)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

I've never actually played the enhanced editions (a heretic! burn him! etc).

How does it work with BG2? Does the xp you get in SoD carry over? If so does that mean you start SoA overlevelled?

Yes the xp you get in SOD carries over. You do start SOA substantially more powerful than a normal bg1-->bg2 import would. I believe it's 500k xp versus the 162k or whatever you'd have with a normal bg1 play.

I don't think it ruins the balance of bg2 or anything, and if you are really concerned about that, you can always install SCS which will keep things challenging even if you are higher level than normal to start bg2.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

cigaw posted:

M'Khiin is great.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I don’t get is that imo the BGEE and BG2EE-only companions are pretty terribly written imo, but the writing in SoD is quite good and fun

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Slashrat posted:

Yes

You may know Nichelle Nicholls as lieutenant Uhura on Star Trek (the original series)

Oh dang. I've never watched much Star Trek or heard of that character, but still sad they died.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Oh dang. I've never watched much Star Trek or heard of that character, but still sad they died.

To give you an idea of how important her character was, she was thinking about quitting at one point and MLK Jr. told her she couldn't, that her role as a black woman who wasn't a subservient stereotype was too important to the civil rights cause to lose. She kept on for the entire rest of the run and the following animated series and movies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

What I don’t get is that imo the BGEE and BG2EE-only companions are pretty terribly written imo, but the writing in SoD is quite good and fun

M'Khiin is the best companion that Beamdog wrote and it's a shame she isn't in bg2/tob.

Corwin kind of pisses me off though because she refuses to ever give you the benefit of the doubt on anything and it's like I saved your city and did nothing but good things in SOD and you're still willing to throw me under the bus the minute a suspicious death happens in my presence? gently caress all that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to end up buying BG EEs before the year is out because I'm starting to debate a replay and while I have a perfectly fine TuTu install and running 800x600 windowed and clicking each individual loot pile are nostalgia features, I think I need to finally stop being :cloud: and see why everyone likes SoD. I have assumed the worst for 6 years based on the EE companions but it seems genuinely well regarded.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

SoD is very good. The main story has some awkward bits and flaws, and not all characters land, but the areas are full-on great, there's some very cool moments, there's great combat, and some cool NPCs. M'khiin is a highlight, and I've taken all of them for a run except Voghlin, the Skald. He seems like a fun character though.

Baeloth is a perennial powerhouse with a pretty particular personality that provides other party-members with potent protections and preparations a plenty. While proud and petty, his participation in the party as a powerful problem-solver is perfect.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rythian posted:

Baeloth is a perennial powerhouse with a pretty particular personality that provides other party-members with potent protections and preparations a plenty. While proud and petty, his participation in the party as a powerful problem-solver is perfect.

Grubdoubler here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never had a problem with any of the Beamdog party members, and the evil half-orc dude is pretty cool. The link and the wildmage are also decent and Baeloth is badass.

My only gripe about the EEs is that I wish the Black Pits were integrated into the main games.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I do love Baeloth's attempt at rebuilding his Black Pits on the surface in SoD.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, Yeslick, the dwarf cleric: I invited him into my party then immediately dismissed him, because when you do that the game tends to say "I had fun I hope I see you again" whereas if you don't invite them in it's "well screw you too!!". So, I did that in the Cloakwood mines. And now I can't find him anywhere; not in the Friendly Arms Inn, not in the Joplin tavern in Baldur's Gate.

Have I bugged him? It's annoying because, when I returned to the (already revived) Branwen, she was re petrified and is still labeled "statue". I ended up going and buying another scroll and she can be in my party, but she's still "statue". I'm trying to take a break from my "canonical" party by leaving Khalid and Jaheria at the Friendly Arm Inn, so that I can spend time rotating other members in and out, and I'd really like to have a cleric.

Also, Neera, sweetie, you're a fun character but you're level 4 and have thirteen hit points, and this is a big problem.

I enjoyed my time with Viconia, by my rep is 20+ so I guess that ship has sailed.

You know, now that I bring up, I'm having a hard time imagining how I'd ever keep a lower reputation. Just randomly murder a commoner once a chapter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmn, Yeslick, the dwarf cleric: I invited him into my party then immediately dismissed him, because when you do that the game tends to say "I had fun I hope I see you again" whereas if you don't invite them in it's "well screw you too!!". So, I did that in the Cloakwood mines. And now I can't find him anywhere; not in the Friendly Arms Inn, not in the Joplin tavern in Baldur's Gate.

Have I bugged him? It's annoying because, when I returned to the (already revived) Branwen, she was re petrified and is still labeled "statue". I ended up going and buying another scroll and she can be in my party, but she's still "statue". I'm trying to take a break from my "canonical" party by leaving Khalid and Jaheria at the Friendly Arm Inn, so that I can spend time rotating other members in and out, and I'd really like to have a cleric.

Also, Neera, sweetie, you're a fun character but you're level 4 and have thirteen hit points, and this is a big problem.

I enjoyed my time with Viconia, by my rep is 20+ so I guess that ship has sailed.

You know, now that I bring up, I'm having a hard time imagining how I'd ever keep a lower reputation. Just randomly murder a commoner once a chapter?

good news, PCs you dismiss in Baldur's Gate 1 stay where they are! So Yeslick is still...in the...cloakwood...mines. good luck!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Chiming in to say that I also thoroughly enjoy SOD and have added it to my playthrough roster every time. Not without some gripes though:

- it's very linear and railed, to the point that you can't go back to previous areas once you advance the chapters. Not a problem per se, but it certainly contrasts heavily with the games that
come before and after.

- they leaned heavily into increasing the number of monster spawns on higher difficulties. The result can be a bit ridiculous at times, like frequent packs of about 20 trash mobs, and it meant that my first run through where I was playing on insane difficulty I ended up with a party of 1 tank and everyone else focused on AOE damage and crowd control. It wasn't more difficult so much as it dictated the party composition. Simple fix is to lower the difficulty, so again not a huge problem.

- final boss requires +3 weapons to hit. Again not a huge deal as these weapons are available, but without that foreknowledge it's easy to get past the fight point of no return and have entire party members be completely useless.

E: ^^^^ if you flooded the mines then Yeslick is dead, sir

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jack B Nimble posted:

20 is max rep and your rep automatically drops 2 when you recruit her. So you should be good. Just maybe murder a civilian so you don't lose her if you accidentally get another rep point.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Rythian posted:

Read it Meer's voice. :discourse:

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I think I might need to reinstall BG2ee with mods - I have a fairly standard loadout (dungeon be gone/ascension/scs/a few npcs/tweak) but with a twist: stuck a randomiser at the end for the first time. Worked fine in bg1, but in 2 it seems to have also randomly given npcs and items lines of dialog as a name:

Which although funny feels like its storing up potential problems for later. Also, Minsc is a vanilla fighter, Jaheria is a vanilla druid, Imoen is a T/M multiclass & Yoshimo is somehow a F/Bounty Hunter multiclass…

Is there an agreed upon order for mods? I think I did something like:
DBG
Ascension
Tweak
SCS
NPCs
Randomiser

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

That is definitely not a bug.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah, that's classic dialog.tlk errors through installing mods. Happens sometimes when something bugs out when installing them via WeiDU.

There's gonna be a lot more weird text strings with that, sorry.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Arivia posted:

To give you an idea of how important her character was, she was thinking about quitting at one point and MLK Jr. told her she couldn't, that her role as a black woman who wasn't a subservient stereotype was too important to the civil rights cause to lose. She kept on for the entire rest of the run and the following animated series and movies.

Even my British bum was aware of what a huge controversy it was when Kirk and Ohura 'kissed' on television.

Russel was a tough case because he was, not surprisingly, greatly subjected to racism in his playing days. Later, he was treated like the living legend that he is, but he couldn't let go of the bitterness and was rather harsh to a lot of people who loved him and wanted to get ahead.

Speaking of Kirk, William Shatner is still alive at 91.

Arivia posted:

good news, PCs you dismiss in Baldur's Gate 1 stay where they are! So Yeslick is still...in the...cloakwood...mines. good luck!

Is there not a mod that sends all dismissed party members, maybe even non-recruited ones as well, to the FAI?

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 4, 2022

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I now want a mod that makes all bags of holding intelligent. I want my bag to talk to me when I try to put stuff in it. "What, no room in your pockets?" it'll say, or "You know you already have 34 potions of infravision in here already, right?"

I expect results shortly, please and thank you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rojay posted:

I now want a mod that makes all bags of holding intelligent. I want my bag to talk to me when I try to put stuff in it. "What, no room in your pockets?" it'll say, or "You know you already have 34 potions of infravision in here already, right?"

I expect results shortly, please and thank you.

I’m pretty sure you’ve met Jaheira already.

@JustJeff88: I think there’s a tweaks component that does that yes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, I've reached the final fight in BG1 for the first time, and I have to say, I don't think it's in line with that I fell in love with in the game; the wall of absolute poo poo thrown at me in my first go-round is just making me feel immediately tired.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Are you buffed up to the gills? The game expects you to use absolutely everything you got.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Throw your own wall of poo poo back in the form of fireballs, potions of explosions, and creature summons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Once I "buffed to the gills" (literal save name) it still took two more tries, but it did upgrade my front line from "one round disaster" to "sorely put-upon speed bump", which was enough time for me to finally get one of the two paralyze wands I was shotgunning to finally work on him.

Actually, what probably helped the most was my buffed beat squad was so quick that I was able to trigger the fight then run back to the teleporting mage and mulch him in one turn, which made the fight much more a game of "send in the wand summoned ogres like we're recreating paths of glory" while pulling any damaging scrolls and potions out of a sack and hurling it into the melee.

So, I take it back, the fight was exactly what the whole game had been - a much stronger foe was defeated by six pack rats regurgitating an obnoxious pile of brick a brack.

Oh, and for the last thirty seconds only the protagonist and Imoen were alive and it was basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omQ5JjjLsE&t=244s

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 4, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

send in the wand summoned ogres like we're recreating paths of glory

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Once I "buffed to the gills" (literal save name) it still took two more tries, but it did upgrade my front line from "one round disaster" to "sorely put-upon speed bump", which was enough time for me to finally get one of the two paralyze wands I was shotgunning to finally work on him.

Actually, what probably helped the most was my buffed beat squad was so quick that I was able to trigger the fight then run back to the teleporting mage and mulch him in one turn, which made the fight much more a game of "send in the wand summoned ogres like we're recreating paths of glory" while pulling any damaging scrolls and potions out of a sack and hurling it into the melee.

So, I take it back, the fight was exactly what the whole game had been - a much stronger foe was defeated by six pack rats regurgitating an obnoxious pile of brick a brack.

Oh, and for the last thirty seconds only the protagonist and Imoen were alive and it was basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omQ5JjjLsE&t=244s

This sounds like almost exactly how you should beat sarevok. There are a few things that make the fight easier:

Knowing where the traps are helps a lot. They're not too hard to dodge.

Using arrows of dispelling from sorcerous sundries to strip sarevok et al of buffs makes a huge difference.

You already identified that rushing down Semaj* is a good approach, you can also use all your potions and scrolls of fire resistance and ignore Angelo or take him down in the second round after Semaj.

Tazok and Sarevok can be kept occupied by summons once Semaj has dropped Death Spell (which he always opens with). Alternatively they can be kited off into a corner by someone who then pops a potion of invisibility. That fairly reliably takes them out of the fight, although sometimes they wander back over and I'm not sure what causes it. Another alternative is to just kite them around with someone who is hasted.

The final alternative is just to focus fire Sarevok. He drops fairly fast and that ends the fight.