Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

You know how volcanos block global warming? Well….

lol lmao etc

didn’t one of the IPCC reports suggest volcanos could be the best hope? :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

one of these days i'm going to drop a 10k word dissertation about mad max and what it has done to the western imagining of what the collapse of society will look like on this thread in retaliation for what you have done to me. you people reference it constantly and thus force me to think about it almost every day. it's done strange things to my brain

an egg has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Aug 4, 2022

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

id read that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

an egg posted:

one of these days i'm going to drop a 10k word dissertation about fury road on this thread in retaliation for all that it has done to the western imagining of what the collapse of society will look like. you people reference it constantly and thus force me to think about it almost every day.

it’s a sensuous fantasy for the carbrained

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

stories of what the collapse of society will look like aren't published because they're too depressing and also usually written by non-white people

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

it’s a sensuous fantasy for the carbrained

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the good news is that it probably won't be like the road either. that's just a crazy old white man fantasising about being alone in the ruins with his boy and only having to worry about stuff like cannibal gangs rather than like, the kid plays too much nintendo and doesn't respect his elders. a can of coke is a magical moment rather than a constant source of parental shame and anxiety. everybody is dead, it's really cold, global warming is over, it's fantastic (from the point of view of cormac mccarthy)

an egg has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Aug 4, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

meanwhile, george miller's ideal future...

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

5 posts in a row i've never felt so alive

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

an egg posted:

the good news is that it probably won't be like the road either. that's just a crazy old white man fantasising about being alone in the ruins with his boy and only having to worry about stuff like cannibal gangs rather than like, the kid plays too much nintendo and doesn't respect his elders. a can of coke is a magical moment rather than a constant source of parental shame and anxiety. everybody is dead, it's really cold, global warming is over, it's fantastic (from the point of view of cormac mccarthy)

The Road is one of the the best books of the 21st century so far and everyone itt needs to read it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

an egg posted:

meanwhile, george miller's ideal future...

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

why is there a tiny person riding the pig?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

wall to wall horror

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

an egg posted:

one of these days i'm going to drop a 10k word dissertation about mad max and what it has done to the western imagining of what the collapse of society will look like on this thread in retaliation for what you have done to me. you people reference it constantly and thus force me to think about it almost every day. it's done strange things to my brain

im already there

The Long Descent, John M. Greer posted:

Believers in apocalypse, for their part, insist that the end of industrial civilization will be sudden, catastrophic, and total. That claim is just as hard to square with the realities of our predicament as the argument for perpetual progress. Every previous civilization that has fallen has taken centuries to collapse, and there’s no reason to think the present case will be any different. The resource base of industrial society is shrinking but it’s far from exhausted. The impact of global warming and other ecological disruptions build slowly over time, and governments and ordinary citizens alike have every reason to hold things together as long as possible.

The history of the last century — think of the Great Depression, the Second World War, and the brutal excesses of Communism and Nazism, just for starters — shows that industrial societies can endure tremendous disruption without dissolving into a Hobbesian war of all against all. People in hard times are far more likely to follow orders and hope for the best than to turn into the rampaging, mindless mobs that play so large a role in survivalist fantasies these days. The sorry history of the Y2K noncrisis a few years ago — a subject we’ll be discussing in more detail in the next chapter — offers a useful reminder that claims of catastrophe can be overstated.

But fantasy is often more appealing than reality, and most of the apocalyptic notions in circulation these days draw very heavily on popular fantasies. The idea (common just now among some Christians) that all good Christians will be raptured away to heaven just as the rest of the world goes to hell in a handbasket is a case in point. It’s a lightly disguised fantasy of mass suicide — when you tell the kids that Grandma went to heaven to be with Jesus, most people understand what that means — and it also serves as a way for people to pretend to themselves that God will rescue them from the consequences of their own actions. That’s one of history’s all time bad bets, but it’s certainly been a popular one.

The Hollywood notion of an overnight collapse is just as much of a fantasy. It makes for great screenplays but has nothing to do with the realities of how civilizations fall [...] and so the likely course of things is gradual descent rather than freefall, following the same trajectory marked out by so many civilizations in the past. Nor does decline necessarily proceed at a steady pace; between sudden crises come intervals of relative stability, even moderate improvement. Different regions decline at different paces; existing social, economic, and political structures are replaced, not with complete chaos, but with transitional structures that may themselves develop pretty fair institutional strength.

also

mawarannahr posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

You know how volcanos block global warming? Well….

https://mobile.twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1554973952002252801?s=20

lol lmao etc
didn’t one of the IPCC reports suggest volcanos could be the best hope? :laugh:

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/downloads/report/IPCC_AR6_WGI_SPM.pdf posted:

C.1.4 - Based on paleoclimate and historical evidence, it is likely that at least one large explosive volcanic eruption would occur
during the 21st century.38 Such an eruption would reduce global surface temperature and precipitation, especially over land,
for one to three years, alter the global monsoon circulation, modify extreme precipitation and change many CIDs (medium
confidence). If such an eruption occurs, this would therefore temporarily and partially mask human-caused climate change.
{2.2, 4.4, Cross-Chapter Box 4.1, 8.5, TS.2.1}

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Aug 4, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

You think doom is your ally? You merely adopted the doom. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me - but blinding!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Hubbert posted:

im already there

also

calling Y2K a non-crisis is pretty idiotic.

we actually did something about that, unlike climate change.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

when was the last end of the world moment for white people? fall of the roman empire?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

when was the last end of the world moment for white people? fall of the roman empire?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

are books edible?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have not seen any of the Mad Max movies

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

shame

at least go for 1 and 2

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shifty Nipples posted:

Your loss

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MLSM posted:

Your loss

well yeah I don't get the references and stuff

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Oglethorpe posted:

shame

at least go for 1 and 2

I dunno, the first one's kinda just australia in the 70's. if it weren't for the flamboyant police chief it would have pretty much 0 memetic value. the second one is the one everyone watched and which informed the hell out of apocalypse chic. the one with tina turner in it is incredibly dense in memeium and extremely 80s, like, if the end of the world were a duran duran video. fury road's pretty good and fun. it's super ostentatious and no expense spared, but all the spectacle actually seems like it's for something. the armies and noise and fire actually impress upon you the viewer that big things are afoot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Egg Moron posted:

are books edible?

could probably make vodka if you do it right

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

I dunno, the first one's kinda just australia in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJVmzthD3Q

:hmmyes:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://news.yahoo.com/the-federal-government-isnt-prepared-to-relocate-americas-climate-change-victims-090049688.html

quote:

People of color make up more than half the residents in counties that experienced at least three climate disasters in the past five years. These counties also have a higher proportion of residents who speak limited English and people in poverty than the rest of the country.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster preparedness spending — which includes money to help people relocate — already falls short of the need, experts say. And it’s not flowing out equitably, according to the analysis by Columbia Journalism Investigations and its partners.

Among hard-hit counties, places with a higher share of residents of color than the national average received about 40% less funding per person. A similar trend held over the last three decades.

Taken together, the findings highlight how, in the face of climate-driven disasters, communities across the country in the greatest need of government assistance receive less of it — if they get anything at all.

These challenges affect a large and growing number of people. In 2018, the government’s most recent National Climate Assessment warned that more than 13 million people across the country may need to move by the end of the century due to sea level rise. Add the effects of hurricanes, flooding rivers and wildfires, and millions more will need to seek out safer parts of the country — or remain trapped in damaged, dangerous conditions.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

could probably make vodka if you do it right

Yup, books are a source of human-accessible calories if you ferment them.

Could also use them as bug feed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

an egg posted:

It's hosed up that all apocalypses are vaguely Australian-themed now but tbf when's the last time we had a remake as good as Fury Road?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I dunno, the first one's kinda just australia in the 70's. if it weren't for the flamboyant police chief it would have pretty much 0 memetic value. the second one is the one everyone watched and which informed the hell out of apocalypse chic. the one with tina turner in it is incredibly dense in memeium and extremely 80s, like, if the end of the world were a duran duran video. fury road's pretty good and fun. it's super ostentatious and no expense spared, but all the spectacle actually seems like it's for something. the armies and noise and fire actually impress upon you the viewer that big things are afoot

I watched the original way after I saw the later movies and Fury Road and it made for some extremely bizarre viewing to say the least

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/eladgil/status/1554891894517223425

:jerkbag:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Yup, books are a source of human-accessible calories if you ferment them.

gonna need to see some proof of that.

if it takes 2000 calories of fire heat to extract anything usable from the pulp and you get, like, 10 edible calories back you're not exactly running in the black

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you can grow oyster mushrooms on books pretty easily

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The end of the hundred years war was probably bad for the MIC at the time so this tracks multiple ways

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

you can grow oyster mushrooms on books pretty easily

my new form of mutual aid will be leaving mushroom spawn at those little free libraries

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/climate/status/1554944145273360384?s=20&t=PEyZdp8kTATha8rCKcFxVQ

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

to clarify, they're still great movies. i enjoyed every second of fury road, with shame in my heart.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

an egg posted:

to clarify, they're still great movies. i enjoyed every second of fury road, with shame in my heart.

but fury road is a great movie ???

dissolution of the ussr

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

November 2008.