Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I wouldn't mind an Heretic II remaster. I own a physical copy and I'd love to replay it but cba dealing with a lovely win98 installer. I could just :filez: the game at this point but the Night Dive treatment is something I love.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

The proper way to do a hexen remaster would be to design an entirely different game using the idea of the classes, weapons, and spells.

And use the chance to put a proper full arsenal, and not just 4 weapons per character!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Turin Turambar posted:

And use the chance to put a proper full arsenal, and not just 4 weapons per character!

Eh, screw that noise. I'd keep the weapon limit as is and just put a greater emphasis on co-op. It is a class-based FPS after all.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Eh, screw that noise. I'd keep the weapon limit as is and just put a greater emphasis on co-op. It is a class-based FPS after all.

this but also if all three classes are present they should be able to combine into a massive magic robot like the power rangers

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the four weapons is really the worst part of hexen. you get your whole arsenal by the third hub and you have half the game left. Fail.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

An Actual Princess posted:

the four weapons is really the worst part of hexen. you get your whole arsenal by the third hub and you have half the game left. Fail.

I mean, is getting your whole arsenal by half way through the worst thing? Doom 2 you got everything pretty quick in. Sort of different as a squeal, so other then the SSG had seen all the weapons already, and it had more to begin with, but I don't think that's the biggest sin a shooter can do, if you have other new stuff to compensate.

Not saying a new late game gun or two can't be really good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's a challenge I've considered taking in the past, and I have a few ideas, but I'm too goddamn lazy to edit out the shield on all the centaur sprites.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Seamus Blackley briefly looks up from his necromancy-themed bakery, not knowing why he suddenly started shivering.

Looks great! I'll have to check it out. Hopefully my awful-rear end code didn't give you too much trouble with compat testing!

MetaDoom didn't give me any trouble at all, it was a blast. I think the highest density of weird compatibility issues so far is Hideous Destructor, which is no surprise considering how many standard Doom behaviours it completely replaces.

Funniest compatibility issue goes to Ashes Afterglow: the sawn-off shotgun (and all its variants) is flagged as a melee weapon, which means you can get melee exclusive upgrades on it like "stop time whenever you get a kill" :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/doom/status/1554923084817305600?s=21&t=-PXPv4qiSa5GnmdN_r_9tw

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Don’t care what anyone says; Doom 3 is still awesome to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

chaosapiant posted:

I just played it for the first time and yeah, it’s pretty good. Maybe I wouldn’t like it as much if the games after followed in its footsteps but it’s cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One massive issue I have with Doom 3 is you can’t skip the intro levels, it’s soooo bad on a replay.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I mean, is getting your whole arsenal by half way through the worst thing? Doom 2 you got everything pretty quick in. Sort of different as a squeal, so other then the SSG had seen all the weapons already, and it had more to begin with, but I don't think that's the biggest sin a shooter can do, if you have other new stuff to compensate.

Not saying a new late game gun or two can't be really good.

it's different when that's 9 weapons you can swap between vs 4. doom has variety to begin with, whereas you get your fourth weapon in hexen and that's ... it. you're done. nothing else to look forward to

hexen 2 is slightly better, because while it still has 4, it at least has the tome of power to give a little variety

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC getting the fourth weapon is a fairly lengthy process, so you have 3 weapons for most of the game anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just played it for the first time and yeah, it’s pretty good. Maybe I wouldn’t like it as much if the games after followed in its footsteps but it’s cool.

I been working on my first playthrough and it started slow but I been liking it further in. Just met the revenant glow ups. They have cool gross legs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Turin Turambar posted:

I'd say just ditch there being separate classes and just do one character who has all the weapons

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

IIRC getting the fourth weapon is a fairly lengthy process, so you have 3 weapons for most of the game anyway

Yeah, weapon 4 needs to be assembled from three different pieces and you can't use it until you have all three. IIRC the earliest you can find the third piece is episode 3, and if you missed one of the other two you don't get another chance until the very end of the game.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say just ditch there being separate classes and just do one character who has all the weapons

Something where you could switch characters mid-game would be good. Co-op AI so all three characters are in the level and you could switch real time would probably be hard to make good, but maybe allow switching at level transitions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
And make the weapons a pistol, a shotgun, a bigger shotgun, a pistol that shoots a lot faster, a rocket launcher, some sort of rapid fire projectile gun, and a really big gun. Just a really big loving gun. 9000.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Baron von Eevl posted:

And make the weapons a pistol, a shotgun, a bigger shotgun, a pistol that shoots a lot faster, a rocket launcher, some sort of rapid fire projectile gun, and a really big gun. Just a really big loving gun. 9000.

Anyone who hasn't needs to try Hexen with High Noon Drifter, they go together very well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doom 3 sucks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hexen had excellent sprite work that still holds up (the hands on the weapons!), moody sounds & atmosphere, very kooky guns, and good fight segments / set pieces. Just generally very high production values throughout, better than its peers, and especially trash such as Redneck Rampage.

The trouble was that the fights that you remember is the perpetual enemy trickle spawns, and the mood is ruined by eternally backtracking trying to find a lever/key. 'Fixing' Hexen is just rewriting all the maps from scratch... which is like 90% of the game, so yea.

-----

As an aside, I will argue with you about the 4 weapons vs Doom's 10 weapons nonsense. Hexen has a ton of combat consumables, and a lot of doom's arsenal suffers from obsolescence or lack of ammo on the default wads.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Been saying.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

chaosapiant posted:

Absolutely!

Also, on the tweet, why have the brands become self aware? Sonic the Hedgehog account being the kookiest example. It's like dril predicted the future.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Serephina posted:

Hexen stuff

What would go a long, long way, especially for co-op would be if everyone didn't teleport when one person went through a portal. Then, you could kind of split up and find the right crap to press, in teams. None the less, as charming as Hexen is, that is why I usually play Heretic instead.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely!

Also, on the tweet, why have the brands become self aware? Sonic the Hedgehog account being the kookiest example. It's like dril predicted the future.

Most of the people running these accounts were people like us making these jokes when the games were new.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Because it's cool and I like when the Burger King talks straight with me and admits his fries have been poo poo for twenty years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

spongeh posted:

Most of the people running these accounts were people like us making these jokes when the games were new.

But people never stopped making those jokes, and it feels like a very "fellow kids" type of fitting in thing. My armchair tweet critique. Why celebrate the anniversary of your game with an overused joke? I guess it gets more retweets and stuff.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Because it's cool and I like when the Burger King talks straight with me and admits his fries have been poo poo for twenty years.

Now this makes sense. I do believe in mascot kayfabe.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A CGI Mark Zuckerberg--deliberately designed to unnerve with its exaggerated reptilian qualities--sits backward in a chair and starts to "rap" with the audience. "The future is scary," he says from a series of Dutch angles. "Just look at me. But you're gonna join the Metaverse eventually, whether you like it or not." A laugh track from Two-and-a-half Men plays.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks, and to think Todd Howard is hyping a new game these days too. It's comforting that these demigod superhuman devs are kicking around out there, we're in safe hands I say.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

Weirdly that's the one example of where we actually know the story - dude started running the account and thought he should try to give a 90s Sonic feeling, all cool and weird and poo poo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A CGI Mark Zuckerberg--deliberately designed to unnerve with its exaggerated reptilian qualities--sits backward in a chair and starts to "rap" with the audience. "The future is scary," he says from a series of Dutch angles. "Just look at me. But you're gonna join the Metaverse eventually, whether you like it or not." A laugh track from Two-and-a-half Men plays.

is that the whole basilisk thing i've heard about

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Remember when Doom 3 came out and for a while the duct tape mode was the biggest controversy in gaming?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vakal posted:

Remember when Doom 3 came out and for a while the duct tape mode was the biggest controversy in gaming?

I thought that Doom 3 sucked at release, Far Cry was my high watermark for single player shooters at the time, and then HL2 blew it away.

In hindsight and on a replay there is a lot to like about Doom 3, but its shotgun still sucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every time Doom 3 comes up I need to remind everyone.The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay did everything Doom 3 tried to do, both in terms of gameplay and technology, before Doom 3 and better than Doom 3. The fancy stencil shadow system is used for gameplay purposes instead of just obscuring what you're shooting at. It doesn't flood you with boring PDA poo poo, instead you just talk to people, with voice acting that's still surprisingly good. There is actual variety to the gameplay and the environments, a distinct lack of monster closets and a crescendo to the story with a real payoff. It did this on an original XBOX months before Doom 3 hit PC, I played it close to release and it really did set me up to be deeply disappointed in id's game.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 4, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id disagree, because Butcher Bay has its own weird flaws and wasn't quite going for the same tone as Doom 3

Is it the better game? My memory says yes, absolutely. Wven the stupid loving cigarette sidequest part

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

SCheeseman posted:

Every time Doom 3 comes up I need to remind everyone.The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay did everything Doom 3 tried to do, both in terms of gameplay and technology, before Doom 3 and better than Doom 3.

That game was crazy good, I never got into the sequel though. Same devs made a neat game called Enclave that I never beat and should try again someday.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Prophet of Nixon posted:

That game was crazy good, I never got into the sequel though. Same devs made a neat game called Enclave that I never beat and should try again someday.

The spiritual successors are the new Wolfenstein games, MachineGames is comprised of a lot of ex-Starbreeze. The structure is very similar, mostly linear story missions with the occasional exploratory hub area to talk to people and do RPG/Adventure things, and they brought forward things like the recharging pip health system (it's contextualized as a percentage in nuwolf but works the same way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Did Vin Diesel have anything to do with getting that made? I know he loves the franchise and games, and I think I remember reading he had some input into it, other than just VO stuff.