Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The second copy won't be a waste in the "throw the book at them" archetype I keep meaning to try one day!

Obviously some anti-synergy with the no slots upgrade.

I tried Pnakotic Manuscripts in my Carcosa run and it felt like one of those super powerful cards that feels great to use but is really hard to actually include in a deck. The raven doesn't really change that, but drat, I wanna take this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

The second copy won't be a waste in the "throw the book at them" archetype I keep meaning to try one day!

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/U3J1ISM.jpg[/timg

You should definitely try this archetype it's drat fun.

I would post a desklist but the most recent one I have on file is from 2018 lol.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is going to be fun to play.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Sneak attack from Marvel, but a lot better? Cool! In terms of allies you can use a lot in one turn, Dexter can combo this with Gregory, but it’s fun for anyone who has calling in favors.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 2, 2022

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The OG version would be Sneak Attack from Lord of the Rings. Nice to see it complete the co-op LCG set.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So can Mark or Rita do something dirty with this?

Also yeah the Calling in Favours combo is the most obvious.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My first thought is seekers, since seekers have almost all the enters-play ability allies. Specifically my first thought was Jeremiah Kirby, but unfortunately this and Calling in Favors are odd and the other enters-play allies are even. Hmm.

Comedy option: Priest of Two Faiths in a Bless-based Wendy Adams deck.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kirby, Art & Medical Students, Lab Assistant, Library Docent and Research Librarian best Seeker allies for enter-play effects.

Other allies with enter-play effects:
Anna Kaslow
The Red-Gloved Man (but only until he leaves play)
Randall Cho (requires Versatile so seems very bad)
Priest of Two Faiths

Most of the printed Rogue allies feel like nonbo's with this card.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The red gloved man seems like it would work well, unless I am missing something. Enters play for 1 supply instead of 2, raises your stats to 6, then returns to hand at the end of your turn instead of leaving play in the next mythos phase. It can’t help you with treacheries, but you get close to double the utility from it with that combo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah just don't do any Calling in Favors before your last action with him and it's good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

So can Mark or Rita do something dirty with this?

Also yeah the Calling in Favours combo is the most obvious.

Agency Backup, Grete Wagner, Venturer and Beat Cop (2) can use this to get an extra use off their abilities without paying health/sanity/supplies. I guess you could also use this to fast-play Tetsuo Mori to suicide him for 2 resources less, lol. I can't really see anything that Rita would like, which seems pretty typical for her.

Mystics could use Alyssa or an Arcane Initiate once without paying the doom-tax on them.

We're supposed to be getting a lower-XP version of Chuck Fergus this cycle. Maybe this card will be good for him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 2, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Interesting card. The biggest use right now is going to be Survivors being able to keep their Old Keyring/Flashlight/Mariners Compass and still play a Chainsaw or Sledgehammer. Or a Rogue with a 1-handed gun who can then use lockpicks once and switch to Thieves Tools for the rest of the turn.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Riot Whistle is a tool, so if Guardian's get another accessory that is a tool they can do something with that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

2 resources seems like too much for what it does. I feel like it could be a permanent with a 1 or 2 xp cost.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I mean what it does is kinda sorta convert your body slot into a hand slot.

It's very similar to Bandolier in that sense except a little less flexible (though more flexible in that it could also convert the body slot to an accessory slot) and more expensive but also neutral. Which seems fair.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

okay so I brought the right version of the game however I did not get the proper folded space insert

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CODChimera posted:

okay so I brought the right version of the game however I did not get the proper folded space insert
Now that's a :mood:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hey, guess who just fully dropped:

Reveal and discussion is here at 13.30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weh_P9GTYkw&t=771s

I like the backstory. Basically a reverse Indiana Jones; "This does NOT belong in a museum!" Their signature is great and the weakness is nice and thematic. I think the 5 bonus XP is going to really help with them, they kind of need to have some way to play the game with so much invested into Agility and given that their deckbuilding isn't super great. Not a lot of tools help them I think.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nephthys posted:

Not a lot of tools help them I think.

As it currently stands? Not really. Of the tools that are already out, most of them are designed to boost investigation, which might be an ask considering they have base 2 Knowledge. Or maybe you do want to lean into it and try and stack Knowledge to get off their intrinsic Waylay effect? Either way, of the current list I think the off-Green Tools that do the most for them most immediately would be Riot Whistle, as it lets them pull enemies off other people to set up an evasion/possible evade kill. It also feels like they're who the Pocket Multitool was made for. Thieves' Tools are nice, but they're also already Green so they don't need to flex to pick them up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Riot Whistle competing with that Lucky Cigarette Case which just loves 5 in a stat and Lockpicks even more though.

But then you can argue that Kymani is a Relic Hunter…

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Looks like each class gets at least three customizable cards. Did we know that already? Empirical Hypothesis seems like it's designed with non-Seekers in mind and it could offer them some decent card draw but I'm not sure an actual Seeker would want to take it most of the time.

Ghastly Possession seems pretty flexible even if your deck isn't focused on messing with doom. It being a spell is the icing on the cake.

Calculated Risk is terrible during the Mythos phase but I can see it finding a home in a deck that takes extra actions, which is something Rogue is known for.

Kymani's deck building rules got leaked a while ago but I thought they had Tools 0-3, so now I'm wondering if the leaked Vincent Lee is completely accurate as well. Kymani needs that 5XP because their ability is pretty conditional (and they're a Rogue so they're very XP hungry to begin with). One of the non-English card fans shows an XP3 Thieves' Tools which they'll probably want (no card text, I'm just assuming) but yeah they're kind of a blank slate so it should be an interesting exercise to build for them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Empirical hypothesis with the teamwork power feel like the things that Stella or Winnie would super appreciate you having. And it’s good with Professor Harvey, since it can get them two cards. The first customizeble card that you could be pretty happy at four XP with instead of taking it to 10.

Also super funny with “you owe me one”. Sorry, Jenny stole your thesis defense.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Kalko posted:

Kymani's deck building rules got leaked a while ago but I thought they had Tools 0-3, so now I'm wondering if the leaked Vincent Lee is completely accurate as well.

Maxine said in the discord a couple weeks ago that some of the unofficial leaks were incorrect - they may have been from play-testers breaking NDA who didn't know the cards had changed since.

Ripley fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 6, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That's pretty interesting because the cards in question all looked official, though some had a bit of artifacting. I would've thought playtesters would have used mockups or simple templates or something, but then I don't know much about the game-making process!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Did Seeker really need another card draw engine is my first thought on Emprical Hypothesis.

It's an upgradable card that is useful at lvl 0 and gets better from there though, so that's cool.

Ghastly Possession seems like a great way to get more uses out of your fight and investigate spells. I like this card.

Calculated Risk feels like it wants to combo hard with Double or Nothing if that weren't banned. Not really sure what big combo shenanigans you want to pull to make the most of this. You can get it to +6 easily with Borrowed Time, and you can go bigger than that with some effort if you really want. I'm just not sure what payoff you can get that actually makes all that worth it.

Edit: Shotgun is the only thing that's come to mind so far.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 6, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It helps quantity over quality rogues, people who have bad stats but can get tons and tons of actions, like skids.

One thing about Possession: it says uses, not charges, ammo, or secrets.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Ghastly Possession seems really good even in generic, non-doomy mystics. It even can get grabbed by Arcane Initiate.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Golden Bee posted:

One thing about Possession: it says uses, not charges, ammo, or secrets.

Yeah, it works with nearly everything which is pretty amazing.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Grizzled seems very campaign-dependent but could provide some good resilience with the Always Prepared upgrade. Nuking treacheries to the victory display is also pretty good for scenarios with multiple reshuffles (or in 4-player games) but the one you would most want to catch isn't eligible since it doesn't have a skill test on it.

Quick Getaway's main use would be to try your luck on an attack of opportunity, I guess, which just means it saves you an action. It might make sense for investigators that can get more value out of evade effects, though. Oh, and in some situations it's kind of like Sweeping Kick in that it can let you efficiently tank a boss for a turn.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Empirical Hypothesis seems great! At level 0 it's still some steady card-draw. I'm not sure I'd really put upgrades into it even but you could likely make a great deck with Alternative Hypothesis that plays no-hand, over succeeds and enters a 3-shroud location to get a free clue once per turn or two. 'When a treachery or enemy is discarded from play' means you have to actually put them out of play, right? Not just into the encounter discard pile?

Ghastly Possession also seems good but I'll note that it adds uses 'rounded-down'. Clue and Evade spells almost all have an odd number of charges so this isn't that great with them. But it is a skill so you don't need to spend an action using it.

Calculated Risk is kind of meh. The most important tests tend to happen at the start of your turn. If you really go all-in on succeeding on 1 test then maybe I doubt it's worth the deck-space otherwise.

I love that Grizzled's art seems to have one of the Vengeful Witches from Circle Undone. You can select Elite as a trait, which is likely the pro-play. There are some cycles where this will be a game-changer, like Hex, Curse and Humanoid for TCU. Or Serpent for TFA. 90% of enemies in EotE are Monsters. Really seems like knowledge of the cycle will be a great help. If you know that your investigator will get hosed by a certain card, you can help neutralise it.

Quick Getaway looks like another card I'd really struggle to justify the deck-space for. 2 resources to save an action? I guess, but I'd much rather have a card that gets me more than that tbh. It doesn't even give you a bonus to the test like Breaking and Entering does.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 7, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ghastly Possession seems really good even in generic, non-doomy mystics. It even can get grabbed by Arcane Initiate.

Yah it seems like a very good card.

I think the Survivor upgradable card have an advantage because Survivors have few big XP cards and tend to run out of things to buy with XP first. So relatively speaking their XP is worth less in opportunity cost making putting 10 into an upgrade more likely.

Grizzled really can reward knowing a campaign inside out. That said, if you are a fighter, you can't go wrong with Elite as a chosen trait I think. Nemesis is excellent against bosses also.

Quick getaway is great against massive enemies and fine to good against everything else.

I think you always have to evaluate level 0 Rogue cards with Adaptable in mind. Given how good this is against massive, this card is a role player, though you will not want it in your deck every scenario. Again the type of thing you will only know after a playthrough though.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 7, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thieves' Kit upgrade with the base version for comparison. It has an extra six resources up for grabs, but is that worth 3XP? It means you can probably drop another resource card, so yeah, I think it is.

Also, nice flavour text upgrade!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Main value seems to be freeing up a deck slot by letting you take fewer other economy cards yeah. Seems alright. Rogue lvl 0 econ is pretty trash so XP wise comes out neutral-ish.

Alternatively it could be a key component of a big money deck.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lol, the art on Grizzled is awful.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I just realized Scarlet Keys might be the first campaign where adding in the side scenario's makes thematic sense.

Taking a quick trip to Venice after climbing a mountain in Antarctica is hilarious though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that is the worst piece of art I've seen for the game so far that I can recall, generally the quality on that stuff is pretty high but there's always gonna be a miss here and there I guess.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Anonymous Robot posted:

Grizzled's terrible art reminds me of the terrible new art for the original five investigators.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Same artist has done better art before: https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=l%3A%22David+Hovey%22&sort=name&view=list&decks=all&spoilers=hide

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Doom cup certainly isn't good, but it is one of the very few level zero cards which lets you heal two points of damage or horror.

Orange Devil posted:

I just realized Scarlet Keys might be the first campaign where adding in the side scenario's makes thematic sense.

Taking a quick trip to Venice after climbing a mountain in Antarctica is hilarious though.

Apparently this year's standalone scenario is a Monte Carlo heist, so time to dust off all of those Rogue gambling-themed cards!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Grizzled's terrible art reminds me of the terrible new art for the original five investigators.

I thought it was odd that Wendy's new art made her seem a lot younger. I mean, sure, she was always canonically a child, but in that new art she looks all of 12 years old or something. Makes it kind of hilarious imagining her in the intro to most of the campaigns, though. Yeah, sure, this university professor values the sage advice provided by this literal child and is willing to invite her to an expedition into the Antarctic wilderness. Extremely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s hard to know exactly what the doom economy is going to be like with the Scarlet Keys set in play, as well. It will probably be a while before people have really reevaluated the cost/benefit of doom on the board.