Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

This was a real dip in quality imo. I love his videos, but this one just didn't seem as good as the others. The subject material probably didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Agreed posted:

It's cool, I actually would like to form a ska band with you now that I know you are serious about your particular trumpet

Same tbh

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Elissimpark posted:

I can't remember if I've shared this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U423WJ-Nqeo

I like the song and I dig her minimalist bluesy style.

But more than anything, I love that guitar. Its a Schorr 'The Future', from a dude in Berlin, I believe. He does these beautiful art deco-y guitars that often have pick-ups on slide rails, so you can move them back and forth.

I really like seeing someone do something interesting with a guitar.

Wow thanks for sharing. Cool guitar, cool music

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed posted:

It's cool, I actually would like to form a ska band with you now that I know you are serious about your particular trumpet

You could also teach me how to play a trumpet, which as I understand it from expertise gleaned from hearsay in these recent posts, would allow you to write off that trumpet. :kiddo:

then I could bring the freaks out to the floor whenever I wanted...

bassist for ska band, reporting

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*cooly slides a melodica from my baggy trousers*

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Noooooo the 81 in the bridge of that cheap hosed up ESP turns out to be broken, one pin snapped the gently caress off at the base where it meets the epoxy. The other two are badly bent but salvageable, easy enough to solder leads, problem is that one broken to the base is a REAL ISSUE, he's gonna try to chip into the epoxy enough to solder a lead to it and we'll see how that works out but there's a real possibility it could gently caress the thing up. (Edit: It broke in half immediately, split the cover too. RIP hosed up EMG 81)

Also the wiring for that guitar is gonna need to be different for my SG, long story short after buying a used 81 in good condition and a 4-pot wiring kit I'm now up to like $210 into this job so now instead of getting a screaming good deal of sweet EMGs in my SG for $99, I'm just getting a regular deal (well, better since my tech is doing it and I'm not having to pay the labor cost, but if I DIY'd it, no savings) :negative:

mamas don't let your kiddos grow up to be guitarists who buy pawn shop guitars with visions of yoinking their electronics, you never know how hosed up something at a pawn shop is just looking and in this case the drat switch was mechanically hosed up and shorted so that it only selected the neck pickup no matter what position you put it in - I thought I had tested the bridge but it was just playing the neck the whole time, noooooo

I'm committed, though, that god drat SG is going to have god drat EMGs in it and that's THAT

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 3, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

figured out why i never quite got that classic JB mid sound... i have a standard spaced one in a guitar where the E strings are three inches apart.

so that's fun. as if there wasn't enough stuff i needed to get done...

not actually that awful though since i was going to start over with a new pickguard anyway. blah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I doubt that's going to have a significant effect. LG, you're getting too in your own head about the tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stop thinking and just play

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Stop thinking and just play

i play for like hours every day dude

my OCD isn't stopping me from playing it's just telling me what stuff to do next :P

i would be really stupid to go "oh i don't have this gear. time to not write songs

every time i post about adventures in music theory or composition on guitar or something, no one responds. at least gear stuff is easy to understand

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

i play for like hours every day dude

my OCD isn't stopping me from playing it's just telling me what stuff to do next :P

i would be really stupid to go "oh i don't have this gear. time to not write songs

every time i post about adventures in music theory or composition on guitar or something, no one responds. at least gear stuff is easy to understand

I don't really respond because I'm not there yet, but I do enjoy reading it. Some of the gear posts come off a little Goldilocks-but-guitars, but we're all particular in our own way.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
And in opposite world I don't even know what pickups are in my guitars. The Fenders have Fender pickups, and the Gibson has Gibson P90s I guess.

Weirdly enough my OCD presents itself differently. In other aspects of my life it's by the book clinical OCD, but playing music is one of the few places where it seems to have no effect. I don't really think or plan, I just kind of do.

Given my life is relentless planning, backup planning, and making sure everyone is okay to a fault it's nice that music is my retreat from all that, and I just go "guitar feels good, amp gain high, me am play song BRRRRUNGGGG hurr distorty."

Honestly tho, tonechasing (within reason etc etc) is a pretty harmless obsession and at least gives you something to do when you're bored.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The problem with learning to setup and mod your own guitars is that eventually every problem starts to look like a soldering iron. Bought a cheap strat last weekend and two days later I've gutted all the wiring and redone it with a four way switch instead of getting another couple of hours practice in.

My other issue at the moment is that I'm gigging so often I rarely sit down to really "practice", so while my playing technique is way up there compared to usual I'm also only developing within one context of music. Looking forward to the end of festival season so I can do something new again!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

landgrabber posted:

hey I listened and said your clip reminded me of weezer, I'm some one gosh darn it

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i've heard people say you should practice unamplified so as to not rely on effects / volume as a crutch

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

a.p. dent posted:

i've heard people say you should practice unamplified so as to not rely on effects / volume as a crutch

You should practice clean regularly, but playing unamplified all the time will encourage overpicking and bad dynamic technique. The guitar is an amplified instrument and the amp is half of the whole; learning to control dynamics from your right hand and picking lightly and economically rather than digging under the strings for every note is just as important.

Edit: I spent a lot of years learning bass unamplified and it gave me horrendous technique that took a couple of years of serious amplified practice to unlearn. Its more important to have a consistent attack and let the amp do the work.

Side sort of related topic, that David Fair/Half Japanese column on how to learn guitar is probably a bit reductive but I've always loved that last line: "The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other, and with a tiny movement rule the world".

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 3, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

I say you should always plug in so you can learn to mute your strings and play cleanly (without a mute between the nut and your first fret).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m so mad this summer

:(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Playing clean and low volume but plugged in is definitely better than unplugged to practice string control and muting
Nothing worse than spending ages getting a 3ps pattern up to speed then finding you're getting loads of adjacent string noise, or learning complex chord voicings and getting a bunch of ringy open strings

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I say practice how you want in ways that help you develop as the kind of player you want to be. If that's with a shitload of effects, radical, just try not to get lost in ineffective practice of staying stuck in a non-developing pattern of repetition (not to say, don't rehearse, especially for performance or for getting a recording right it's crucial to rehearse, it's just different than trying to get better at playing in general).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm thinking of trading in my first guitar, a nothing special Vintage-brand HH strat, for one the new Yamaha Revstars, whenever a local shop gets some in stock. Racing stripe is cool. Alamo Music did a good YouTube review about them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ColdPie posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my first guitar, a nothing special Vintage-brand HH strat, for one the new Yamaha Revstars, whenever a local shop gets some in stock. Racing stripe is cool. Alamo Music did a good YouTube review about them.

they look super dope

the base model lime yellow one would probably be great to build up, or honestly just play as-is

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Do it, ColdPie! I’ve wanted one since they were first announced, and the new lineup sounds even cooler. I’ll admit it’s one of few Yamaha electric lines I like the styling of.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m so mad this summer

:(

Even on a saturdoi noight

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

here's something. i'm practicing some Beatles songs, playing solo acoustic. currently "Dig A Pony". the original has a nice groove - it's fast, but has a laid back feel. when i play it and sing, i find myself speeding up at the hard parts (classic), which makes my playing feel frantic. partly i just need more practice in general, but more specifically...

i did some run throughs with the metronome. the song is in 3/4, i played with a click on every beat. this helped my time, but i'm still not getting the feel. my approach now is to play with only the click on 1, so i really need to feel the beat to stay with it. it's helping!

anybody got any other suggestions?? (i'll post a recording within a day or two, just wanted to polish it up)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What part are you having trouble with? Just the groove during the verses? The lead parts during the chorus? That almost fugue like instrumental part?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

What part are you having trouble with? Just the groove during the verses? The lead parts during the chorus? That almost fugue like instrumental part?

playing the lead parts during the chorus while singing, and in the pre chorus hitting high notes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're a very weird rhythm, it's in 3/4 but each of those beats is divided into triplets, it's kind of a shuffled shuffle.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My guitar teacher primarily teaches metal so I practise with gain like 80% of the time. Kinda awesome really.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Red_Fred posted:

My guitar teacher primarily teaches metal so I practise with gain like 80% of the time. Kinda awesome really.

When I was doing lessons, same.

Helped my muting so, soooo much. Made me very lazy with my legato, but then you do some work with a clean tone for the legato then you switch back and you feel really cool.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Playing and singing is a whole different animal and I don't know how anybody does it, especially when it involves more complicated stuff like finger picking and fills.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Why does Ibanez put the one ferrule out of line with the others? It looks like a mistake, but lots of them are like that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

duodenum posted:

Why does Ibanez put the one ferrule out of line with the others? It looks like a mistake, but lots of them are like that.

Sometimes proper intonation requires the saddle on the lowest string to be moved pretty far back towards the end of the bridge. I guess you could end up in a scenario where the saddle begins to overlap with the baseplate hole in the top of the guitar, which would mess up the angle as the string passes through the saddle towards the neck. Moving it back a few mm just gives a little extra clearance, I guess?

In the picture of the top of the NDM signature model (which also has the low E ferrule out of line), you can see the baseplate hole for the string under the low E saddle starts farther back than the other strings: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/ndm5_1p_02.html

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

zenguitarman posted:

Playing and singing is a whole different animal and I don't know how anybody does it, especially when it involves more complicated stuff like finger picking and fills.

It's just practice. When I was starting for the first time I cut down the guitar parts to downbeats (or even the first note of each measure) and then gradually added stuff back in once each bit felt solid. At some point it clicks and you can generally do it for arbitrary things. I struggle when there are weird interactions between the vocal and guitar rhythms and have to practice those specifically (Exit Music (for a film) is my kryptonite here), but learning to play and sing the first song is drastically harder than anything after that.

It also helps to really know the guitar part - it's not quite playing on autopilot, but it can't require your full concentration or else you'll have nothing left to think about words.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I finally finished my first build-your-own pedal, a Klon clone - and it doesn't work. This is totally deflating after days of delays, hours of work, and a few finger burns. Tomorrow I'll hit the builder forums and see if anyone can help my understand why the voltages on my ICs are so different.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Be not deflated, it is ok for learning a new thing to be challenging & the road paved with failure. It is glorious in fact, you are alive and if you keep at this you will learn much and become powerful as the gods. Lightning will shoot from your fingertips!!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

I finally finished my first build-your-own pedal, a Klon clone - and it doesn't work. This is totally deflating after days of delays, hours of work, and a few finger burns. Tomorrow I'll hit the builder forums and see if anyone can help my understand why the voltages on my ICs are so different.
If there is one thing I am sure of, it's there is no shortcut past the "I thought I did everything right, why doesn't this loving work" part of learning to do technical stuff. Ya gotta roll with it and remember in the end every mistake teaches.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

havelock posted:

It also helps to really know the guitar part - it's not quite playing on autopilot, but it can't require your full concentration or else you'll have nothing left to think about words.

I taught myself to sing and play bass using Come Together. The riff is fun and the vocal melody is pretty basic, so it allowed me to concentrate on the interactions of the rhythms, which to me is the hard bit.

It's not a skill I'm brilliant with, largely because I don't have anyone to play with so it doesn't get much practice.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

You just have to learn the part comically slow and crucially at the same time, so you know which syllable lands at the same time as each strum/pick.

Justin Hawkins mentioned on one of his videos that his trick is to focus on neither the guitar playing or the singing, since as soon as you get too much in your head about one thing you forget how to do the other, but instead on some third thing: the crowd, the overall song, the drums etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I doubt that's going to have a significant effect. LG, you're getting too in your own head about the tone.

Hard agree, but I'm also the kind of guy who will just dial in some distortion and call it good enough.

I do want to say that chasing a tone from an album or even live experience isn't just about the guitar sound, it's about how it mixes with the other instruments. A lot of awesome tones sound like poo poo in isolation, because they only work when there's a bass, a drum and a key to flesh them out.