Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

For my current playthrough I decided instead of making the usual posters for my troops, I'd take a different approach.

Tried going for a mugshot vibe with this one.

I did something similar, setting up scenes to look like the squad was in the midst of action while caught on CCTV and later distributed as wanted posters. It's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I also discovered that if you’re using the MOCX mod, memorial posters for the MOCX soldiers you kill will appear in your photo booth collection.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

when's XCOM 3 happening

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fister Roboto posted:

when's XCOM 3 happening

Whenever Firaxis feels like making it, and not a moment before then, no matter how much the fanbase complains about it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MAKE YOUR GAME JAKE

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

X-COM 3 Pitch: the Chosen system but overlaid with the Shadow of Mordor Nemesis system.

X-COM 2 dipped their toe in this by having the Chosen reference things ongoing in the game, such as having a soldier captured, or being defeated before, etc.

It was held back because there were just 3 types of Chosen and all had the same personality and abilities. Sword lady, Sniper guy, and Pyschic dude.

Instead go full Shadow of War and make 100+ Chosen 'personalities' and randomize their abilities, preferred weapons, etc. Yes it's a ton of model work and voice acting and such but Shadow of Mordor / Shadow of War shows it's worth it.

If a Chosen kills some of your soliders have them get better and come back. If a Chosen gets curb stomped just have them be so demolished they die. Or alternatively you murder a dude and he shows up on your next mission taunting you.

X-COM always does such a great job of just giving the bare necessities of characters to the story then letting the gameplay flesh them out with soldiers, who will often have way more character just in their limited personality because "That's the French dude who got the 5% repeater shot on the Berserker Queen and then became best friends with a Reaper". Do the same for the Chosen, let the game define them and their personalities color the game, just let there be a ton of personalities, abilities, strengths / weaknesses, and let the players find these out and make their own stories. Maybe the French dude dies to one of them so he shows up on a mission with his bonded teammate and taunts them into going berserk. Maybe another Chosen gets kicked to the curb and then accelerates a retaliation mission timer, then shows up on the retaliation mission, as, you know, retaliation. Maybe you're fleeing from a mission and an enemy nails one of your soldiers so he gets promoted to the new 'Chosen' program so now you lure him out.

It'll be the best of the player-driven protagonists of X-COM and the best of the player-driven antagonists of Shadow of War.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I didn't like the Chosen thematically so I hope they don't do that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just did an alien retribution mission in 2 where an enemy MEC shot a civilian only for it to turn into a Faceless. It was hosed up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I just want XCOM 3 to be released so I can do more voice acting.

Oh, and the game.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bogart posted:

Just did an alien retribution mission in 2 where an enemy MEC shot a civilian only for it to turn into a Faceless. It was hosed up.

Blue on Blue Green on Green (Grey on Grey?) Is hilarious.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just finished XCOM: Chimera Squad and I really liked it's more streamlined approach since I struggled with the more macro elements of the other two games.

The story ended abruptly and in an unsatisfying way. They just dropped the ball on the centerpiece of crime dramas. Which is unraveling the mystery.

The Director just tells us everything and then the real bad guys immediately charge out to Do Crimes in public.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair, the game was quite explicitly rushed out the door as global lockdown commenced; no media hype, one week notice, extremely budget price point to be raised later, etc. Post-release patches fixed the truckload of bugs it came with, but stuff like Androids and the Story etc will forever be undercooked.

I still love it for what it is.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Chimera Squad feels like a testbed for what an XCOM3 might look like. The Breaching system for example would be an ideal way of handling UFOs. First part is securing the landing zne, second part is breaching the actual UFO, and the third part could be seizing the command center/engineering and taking care of the last holdouts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Parts of it (like the character focus) also feel like a lead in to the Marvel game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rorahusky posted:

Chimera Squad feels like a testbed for what an XCOM3 might look like. The Breaching system for example would be an ideal way of handling UFOs. First part is securing the landing zne, second part is breaching the actual UFO, and the third part could be seizing the command center/engineering and taking care of the last holdouts.

Oh I really want to see that!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

X-COM 2 with a breaching mechanic instead of or on top of the stealth mechanic would be amazing and a great baseline for X-COM 3. Just more "intervals" in missions where you pause, regroup, and move in. X-COM 2 does this with pods while CS does it with rounds of a mission with a breach each time - combine the 2!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tom Tucker posted:

X-COM 2 with a breaching mechanic instead of or on top of the stealth mechanic would be amazing and a great baseline for X-COM 3. Just more "intervals" in missions where you pause, regroup, and move in. X-COM 2 does this with pods while CS does it with rounds of a mission with a breach each time - combine the 2!

Having to physically move to breech positions would be a decent segue

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TK-42-1 posted:

Having to physically move to breech positions would be a decent segue

When you think about it, this is basically what you do in the first stage of the chosen strongholds. You fight your way to a predetermined zone in order to initiate an attack on enemies on the other side of the door/teleporter. It's not that much of a stretch to add those sweet breach segments in between the two maps as a transition.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

It’s also often how you do things if you use a reaper or assault scout to sneak close to targets

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
XCOM 2: Will a muton always counter a melee attack?

My rule of thumb is going to be to not melee them, but if things get spicy I might roll the dice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

snoremac posted:

XCOM 2: Will a muton always counter a melee attack?

My rule of thumb is going to be to not melee them, but if things get spicy I might roll the dice.

They don't always counter, its a 66% chance to proc and they have a fairly low chance to hit even if they do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

They don't always counter, its a 66% chance to proc and they have a fairly low chance to hit even if they do.

Seems to be 100% every time for me, because I'm a big dummy who forgets that they do that every time

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In my experience, I found out that they countered the first time I melee attacked one and he killed my ranger so I proceeded to never melee one again. And in fact I assumed for ages that berserkers shouldn't be meleed either.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

In my experience, I found out that they countered the first time I melee attacked one and he killed my ranger so I proceeded to never melee one again. And in fact I assumed for ages that berserkers shouldn't be meleed either.

Murdering a berserker in melee is about the biggest flex I can think of in this game. Not even the counterattack from a ranger, just charging the loving thing and splitting it right open as it stands there stupid and confused.

almost as good as punching a Thin Man into a truck that then explodes in the first game. Not quite there, but still satisfying :getin:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I’ve developed a new appreciation for lost lures on my current play through. Any mission with lost and Advent becomes a “now they’re you’re problem” situation.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Zore posted:

I know proc means trigger but what is it short for?

I'm learning on Commander how important nanoscale vests are early. Lost too many good soldiers to single 6 HP attacks.

My trophies tell me I've won on Commander before but I feel that was not WotC. Assassin has killed at least two guys in one hit.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 7, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The modern parlance is not really "short for" anything.

When it was originally used it was typical programmer terseness for "process" or perhaps "procedure" - if you were creating a game and wanted something to happen that was outside of what the underlying game systems were written to handle, you would need to write a special procedure to do that thing, and then set up what circumstances would invoke that procedure. For example, a weapon that sets enemies on fire might invoke the proc whenever you hit with it, and the proc does whatever is needed to set the enemy on fire.

If you wanted to do the special thing only some of the time, instead of having to include code for that in every single one of those processes, you might build a "proc_rate" into your underlying system, just as a chance factor on whether it should invoke the relevant proc.

Over time, that internal programmer lingo made its way into player lingo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The Google search you inspired taught me it's short for "procedure" and it goes back to old coders writing the script that fires when the effect triggers.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The word entered ~gamer~ parlance,as opposed to just being dev jargon, via the old text MUDs where the line between dev and player was fuzzier. MUD language carried on to EverQuest. Same applies to 'mob' and to a less clear extent 'toon'.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

In that case I'm surprised I don't recall hearing it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How bad is the effect of not accepting some main missions? Obviously guerilla missions counter dark events, but if there's a supply raid or council mission dropping at an inconvenient time and I skip, is there an impact beyond foregoing the rewards and losing supplies in the next drop?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You lose contact with the region it was associated with IIRC

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else have a problem where the game just goes to an infinite loading screen after a mission completes? I can usually tell it’s going to happen if the propaganda about the mission audio doesn’t trigger. It mostly seems to happen if multiple soldiers were wounded on the mission. It’s probably a mod conflict, it I’ve got about 300 going so I’m hoping someone has an easy fix before I start a process of elimination.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

You lose contact with the region it was associated with IIRC

correct. Council missions/terror missions lose the region if ignored/critical failed.

Guerrilla Ops as mentioned earlier just cause the dark event to happen.

Story missions and facilities have no penalty for defeat and don't time out.

Base invasions can't be ignored and game over on defeat

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The Avatar countdown started at 6 days and I don't have the intel or time to reach a facility and there's no covert reduction missions. Am I hosed?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

snoremac posted:

The Avatar countdown started at 6 days and I don't have the intel or time to reach a facility and there's no covert reduction missions. Am I hosed?

If you don't have any story mission reductions available the only thing I can think of is if you have the sabotage card slotted and the end of month is in the next 6 days. Otherwise...yeah, RIP that campaign probably

Is this the second time the bar's filled this campaign? iirc if you've triggered the countdown already it doesn't reset, it'll pick back up at where you stopped it last time.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah I was screwed and have to start over.

It was the second countdown and you're right. I assumed the time would reset.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How did it start so early?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

How did it start so early?

It was the second time it started. You don't regain lost time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

During that campaign the game crashed four times on PS5. Luckily the IM save didn't corrupt but my God it's so buggy.