Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

hey CSPAM parents, advice desperately needed about an increasingly aggressively obstinate 5.5 year old. Have been told by pediatrics that our concerns are valid and while this doesn't seem "super bad", a behavioral evaluation is encouraged. Also the waitlist for that is over a year, so, here we are.

Background: two kids, 5.5 and 1.25 years old. Older kid has been somewhat impulsive/loose cannon since she was walking, very high energy, distractable, defiant, etc. None of that fazes me, I have all the same poo poo and I was a hellion.

For a long time, basic reward based strategies worked well enough: happy or sad faces on a chart along various axis ("nice to mom and dad", "did bedtime well", etc), TV/video game time (PBS stuff, all) awarded based on how many good marks she gets. (So no "punishment" for bad, just no reward).

As her sister has gotten bigger, more mobile, and of course more destructive, we've seen a lot of changes in the older kid. Some might be jealousy, also, she has been in preschool and summer preschool and while the behavioral reports from there are all fine, and when I pick her up I hear all the other kids happily wish her goodbye or hello when I drop her off, I can't discount that social interaction with peers is a factor in some of this.

So, bascially: she won't do what we say, she will in fact try to see how close she can come to doing the exact opposite, she no longer seems to care about being deprived TV & games for LONG periods of time, and she has taken to kicking, hitting and throwing stuff at her mom and me when she's upset. To be very clear we are NEVER physical with her, we do not spank her, we do not have any indication that other kids have hit her.... except her 1 year old sister, who, you know, is a 1 year old who also hit me in the face with a plastic firetruck 2 weeks ago, hard enough to substantially reinjure a long dormant neck injury I had. We try to remind kig kiddo, she is bigger, she is more mobile, she has a room she can go to. She very rarely actually hits her sister, but we have seen her do it at least once which is enough for "well those two can't be together unsupervised for even 5 seconds anymore" which is not the most convenient situation. Prior to things going downhill lately, I had made some progress paying the older kid 25 cents per 15 minutes to "babysit" -- this was with me very close by keeping an eye, but she was doing a fine job.

So -- I am stressed as gently caress. My job is stressful, if I lose it we're kinda super hosed until I find another one, my wife is behind in her professional certification desires because of kids and COVID, we're both in independent therapy, etc

We love the hell out of both kids, and, when she's not being a tyrant she's great! This is a kid who will happily do 15 mins of meditation and yoga with me most mornings! I try to encourage her to channel to that energy when she's spinning out of control, but she's just too young to connect the dots like that and all I can hope is that I am giving her a foundation of mindfulness and calm that may eventually serve her some purpose in the deserts of the future.

For now, we're just trying to find ways to navigate this more happily, and coming up blank. Also, I am anxious as hell about the general state of the world, so is my wife, and while we try to not say doomer poo poo and answer our kids' questions in non-doomer terms they can understand, it would be illogical to not assume that 2 years of COVID stress, combined with MPX, combined with general collapse anxieties, is impacting mine and my wife's behaviors in ways the kids are picking up on. Not sure what to do about that.

We almost aborted a trip to go get ice cream yesterday because older kid was so completely out of control in the leadup, but, my view is: poo poo like nice summers where you can just go get ice cream may well be a limited loving commodity. I don't mind depriving my kid screen time, who gives a gently caress, and actually she seems to have figured out she can have as much fun playing outside, which is great from an addiction perspective and not helpful from a behavior modification one. Anyway, point is, even if she's being a tyrant and even if it kind of rubs me wrong to "reward" tyrannical behavior, I think "family trips for ice cream" are a benefit to the whole family and I'm not going to let her gently caress that up for me and the rest of us if I can avoid it.

FWIW we had a good time getting ice cream once my wife got through her tears in the car from the insane trauma of the whole lead up ("I hate you" was used as weaponized speech a couple times, of course followed shortly by "I WANT A HUG!")

Any advice at all is loving appreciated, we're just dealing with this incident by incident at this point. Also she tends to obey me much more readily than her mom, but I am not sure if that's good or not; I am quicker to raise my voice, and also quicker to simply pick her up and remove her from a situation physically if she is being completely noncompliant.

Good luck, and condolences on your cartoonishly evil and chistofascisct patriarchal state leadership.

I don't really know what a 5 year old is like yet, but my two year old would have an impossibly hard time only thinking about long term rewards available in 5 minutes, much less hours later. I feel like that's a good tool for teaching delayed gratification, but not immediately dealing with line-crossing behavior.

What do you try in the moment? Stern voiced warning? Time outs? Redirection? Asking them to think about others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Any advice at all is loving appreciated,

I'm gonna take this at face value and tell you that we recently discovered the wonders of a CBD gummy when parenting is getting stressful (we have a 9mo son, for reference). The stress just melts away and it allows us to approach problems in a more analytical manner.

We're not at "unruly child" stage yet so can't give you any more advice than that from personal experience, but what we have been doing is watching episodes of supernanny on youtube, which often involves parents in your situation. Might be some pointers in there? (big time investment i know)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh actually i do have something more useful to add, having read a couple books (again, no personal experience... yet)

As her sister has gotten bigger, more mobile, and of course more destructive, we've seen a lot of changes in the older kid. Some might be jealousy, also,

It is almost certainly this. I doubt any kind of peer influence is playing a part, if behaviour outside the home is fine.

She might restrain herself when interacting with her sister but she's probably specifically mad at you both for paying attention to her sister. Maybe she can't find the language to express it, or perhaps isn't even sure why she's feeling the way she's feeling and needs to be told ("we're playing with your sister instead of you all the time and you're angry about that")

A book i read covered this kind of thing, I'll see if i can find it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

have you screened for adhd? emotional regulation and impulsivity can be a problem with that and it can get worse starting at that age.

edit: also might be worth checking for food/chemical triggers particularly dyes some European research has confirmed R40 and B6 can cause severe issues for some kids.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

That's the one!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

outside of preschool how isolated are you pandemic wise?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
New parent here to a just-turned-34-weeker diagnosed with NEC.

NICUs are simultaneously miraculous places full of actual, scrub-wearing angels and also a very specific kind of hell. I can't believe we've only been at this for 5 days.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm so sorry. My sister was in the neonatal ward with my niece, which is nowhere near as bad, but still utterly terrifying.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

hey CSPAM parents, advice desperately needed about an increasingly aggressively obstinate 5.5 year old. Have been told by pediatrics that our concerns are valid and while this doesn't seem "super bad", a behavioral evaluation is encouraged. Also the waitlist for that is over a year, so, here we are.

Background: two kids, 5.5 and 1.25 years old. Older kid has been somewhat impulsive/loose cannon since she was walking, very high energy, distractable, defiant, etc. None of that fazes me, I have all the same poo poo and I was a hellion.

For a long time, basic reward based strategies worked well enough: happy or sad faces on a chart along various axis ("nice to mom and dad", "did bedtime well", etc), TV/video game time (PBS stuff, all) awarded based on how many good marks she gets. (So no "punishment" for bad, just no reward).

As her sister has gotten bigger, more mobile, and of course more destructive, we've seen a lot of changes in the older kid. Some might be jealousy, also, she has been in preschool and summer preschool and while the behavioral reports from there are all fine, and when I pick her up I hear all the other kids happily wish her goodbye or hello when I drop her off, I can't discount that social interaction with peers is a factor in some of this.

So, bascially: she won't do what we say, she will in fact try to see how close she can come to doing the exact opposite, she no longer seems to care about being deprived TV & games for LONG periods of time, and she has taken to kicking, hitting and throwing stuff at her mom and me when she's upset. To be very clear we are NEVER physical with her, we do not spank her, we do not have any indication that other kids have hit her.... except her 1 year old sister, who, you know, is a 1 year old who also hit me in the face with a plastic firetruck 2 weeks ago, hard enough to substantially reinjure a long dormant neck injury I had. We try to remind kig kiddo, she is bigger, she is more mobile, she has a room she can go to. She very rarely actually hits her sister, but we have seen her do it at least once which is enough for "well those two can't be together unsupervised for even 5 seconds anymore" which is not the most convenient situation. Prior to things going downhill lately, I had made some progress paying the older kid 25 cents per 15 minutes to "babysit" -- this was with me very close by keeping an eye, but she was doing a fine job.

So -- I am stressed as gently caress. My job is stressful, if I lose it we're kinda super hosed until I find another one, my wife is behind in her professional certification desires because of kids and COVID, we're both in independent therapy, etc

We love the hell out of both kids, and, when she's not being a tyrant she's great! This is a kid who will happily do 15 mins of meditation and yoga with me most mornings! I try to encourage her to channel to that energy when she's spinning out of control, but she's just too young to connect the dots like that and all I can hope is that I am giving her a foundation of mindfulness and calm that may eventually serve her some purpose in the deserts of the future.

For now, we're just trying to find ways to navigate this more happily, and coming up blank. Also, I am anxious as hell about the general state of the world, so is my wife, and while we try to not say doomer poo poo and answer our kids' questions in non-doomer terms they can understand, it would be illogical to not assume that 2 years of COVID stress, combined with MPX, combined with general collapse anxieties, is impacting mine and my wife's behaviors in ways the kids are picking up on. Not sure what to do about that.

We almost aborted a trip to go get ice cream yesterday because older kid was so completely out of control in the leadup, but, my view is: poo poo like nice summers where you can just go get ice cream may well be a limited loving commodity. I don't mind depriving my kid screen time, who gives a gently caress, and actually she seems to have figured out she can have as much fun playing outside, which is great from an addiction perspective and not helpful from a behavior modification one. Anyway, point is, even if she's being a tyrant and even if it kind of rubs me wrong to "reward" tyrannical behavior, I think "family trips for ice cream" are a benefit to the whole family and I'm not going to let her gently caress that up for me and the rest of us if I can avoid it.

FWIW we had a good time getting ice cream once my wife got through her tears in the car from the insane trauma of the whole lead up ("I hate you" was used as weaponized speech a couple times, of course followed shortly by "I WANT A HUG!")

Any advice at all is loving appreciated, we're just dealing with this incident by incident at this point. Also she tends to obey me much more readily than her mom, but I am not sure if that's good or not; I am quicker to raise my voice, and also quicker to simply pick her up and remove her from a situation physically if she is being completely noncompliant.

edit: the violence she displays seems solely geared at her mom and I. She has bopped her sister once or twice but not at all with the same vitriol and usually in the context of "play", or "younger kid pulled a toy away and older kid got upset and pulled it back too hard". In terms of her mom and me, she will just look us straight in the eye and then punch us. She threw a playskool chair at my leg hard enough to give me a huge bruise and a small hematoma that persisted for a few days.

Beyond her obvious unhappiness about some things, a big concern is that the first time she DOES do any of this poo poo to another kid, it's going to cause her a MASSIVE world of problems she has no idea about which can lead to state interventions, lists, etc. gently caress that noise, need to get this under control.

Good luck, and condolences on your cartoonishly evil and chistofascisct patriarchal state leadership.

FULL DISCLOSURE: This is what I do for the public school system here, so I cannot offer specific strategies without running into an ethics violation, sorry. And to be honest it probably wouldn't work because it's a trial and error type thing.

Don't beat yourself up! Everything you have posted is SUPER loving COMMON right now. I think it's because of the disruption caused by covid. I had almost a dozen behavior referrals within the first month of the school year starting.

You mentioned that there is a wait list for the behavior assessment, but when does she start kindergarten? You should be able to get an assessment done through the public school system. The assessment you get from pediatrics will be more detailed, but the school psychologist might be able to make some recommendations. Have you asked the preschool teacher how they do it in the room? If the aggression and defiance aren't happening in the classroom, maybe the teacher can give you some insight. Worst case is they'll just say something like "we don't know because it's never happened." Which is good! Just not helpful.

gently caress man I wish I had more to say. The good news is that of all the referrals I got at the start of the year, it was the kids whose parents are doing the stuff you're doing (I thought the chart was cute) that made progress.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Today I asked my kid if he needed to use the potty and he looked me dead in the eyes and said no, and immediately poo poo his pants. cool flex I guess

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

feeling a lot more nervous about getting these anatomy ultrasound results today than i was over the weekend. really hope everything is good news! i'm sure it will be. but we do live in texas so a bad result could be pretty difficult to deal with. keeping those fingers crossed.

got the anatomy ultrasound results, most looks good but the fetus has a marginal cord insertion so that is a little concerning, hopefully its all fine though

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

You should be able to get an assessment done through the public school system. The assessment you get from pediatrics will be more detailed, but the school psychologist might be able to make some recommendations.

just went through this process and it can be super stressful too.

the pandemic took a lot away from kids. I think back about the scope of the social interactions my son lost and how angry he got is justified. having a learning difference just amplified all the problems. it can get better but it’s hard work and huge emotional toll.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

kecske posted:

Today I asked my kid if he needed to use the potty and he looked me dead in the eyes and said no, and immediately poo poo his pants. cool flex I guess

chad

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the pandemic took a lot away from kids. I think back about the scope of the social interactions my son lost and how angry he got is justified. having a learning difference just amplified all the problems. it can get better but it’s hard work and huge emotional toll.

Oh yeah, I can't imagine what it's like for the parents at these meetings and I get frustrated with my colleagues for not considering how difficult it might be. I am not a covid minimizer by any means, but when we closed the schools, did nothing to stop the virus, and then just reopened like nothing happened we completely hosed these kids. We sent our oldest back to school as soon as we could because the social part is so critical. It's really frustrating and I am sorry.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
yeah i won't weigh in on whether it did or didnt help slow the virus or what the real risk/reward was from a public health perspective, and it may well have been worth the damage that was done idk, but anyone with a school age kid will have seen firsthand that, regardless, it hosed them up badly.

and just like long covid it may be years before we really understood what happened/is happening, and what the real effects are/will be.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Thanks everyone --- in no particular order:

Greg Legg posted:

Don't beat yourself up! Everything you have posted is SUPER loving COMMON right now. I think it's because of the disruption caused by covid. I had almost a dozen behavior referrals within the first month of the school year starting.
This is wonderful to hear just because we really have no idea if we're at "SUPER loving COMMON" or "WARNING SIGNS FOR SERIOUS ISSUES". We assumed more the former, but, having a kid suddenly get violent is alarming. I think the obvious provocation is that her kid sister started hitting her first, which, you know, yea, but also she's 1 and doesn't hit hard.

quote:

You mentioned that there is a wait list for the behavior assessment, but when does she start kindergarten? You should be able to get an assessment done through the public school system.
Soon, and this is a good thought, though our district is somewhat in turmoil now because it's imploding and my school is leaving the district so services and poo poo are gonna be fucky for a year or two I suspect. Definitely worth exploring.

quote:

gently caress man I wish I had more to say. The good news is that of all the referrals I got at the start of the year, it was the kids whose parents are doing the stuff you're doing (I thought the chart was cute) that made progress.

This is both reassuring, and also somewhat alarming because the concept of her not being able to make progress on this stuff hadn't really crossed my mind, but, of course it exists as some nonzero thing.

Iridium posted:

yeah i won't weigh in on whether it did or didnt help slow the virus or what the real risk/reward was from a public health perspective, and it may well have been worth the damage that was done idk, but anyone with a school age kid will have seen firsthand that, regardless, it hosed them up badly.
Hard agree, also suspect it may have hosed her up less than getting COVID 4 times pre vaccine might have, but also we'll never know. And the odds of her continuing to avoid COVID as we move from preschool to a small local public school seems dubious.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Do you mind elaborating just so I know what to be prepared for?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

outside of preschool how isolated are you pandemic wise?
March 2020-Spring 2021: quite isolated. We took her to outdoor reading groups and made sure she had some amount of outdoor playdates with her best friend but it was sketchy and she did not get as much peer interaction as I'dve liked. Summer 2021 we did a fair amount of outdoor stuff and also managed a pre-delta large family gathering, for better or worse. (much testing etc, no COVID, but I think we got lucky). 2021-now has been more normal with her in preschool 3 days a week and having some amount of (still mostly outdoor) play dates. She is doing a different preschool for the summer program and in fact seems to be having no problems at all making newfriends, yesterday she asked if "Matthew" could come over here on a weekend sometime and I was like "uh.... probably, who's Matthew?" She said "a friend from preschool and we talked about it and we think it would be okay as long as his parents and you think it's okay", haha.

More or less, we decided pretty early on that keeping her as socialized as possible was our #1 priority and the only thing we were willing to waver from pretty hardcore COVID protocols on. This didn't mean sending her into unmaksed wee kid parties, but it did mean that even though we skipped halloween 2020* we did it in 2021 and did a number of other things for the sake of socializing kiddo, which we would not have done for our own sake. I will certainly admit we feel isolated and somewhat despondent and anxious about the state of America (more nationally than locally, for now), and I have to assume kiddo is smart enough to be picking up on that nervous energy. Wife and I are both in therapy to try to deal with our own poo poo as well as possible through all of this; our therapists as well as pediatrician think we're basically doing everything we can.

*We didn't "skip" halloween, as much as, I set up a spooky LED-candle lit walk around our property withj some built in jump scares, and then her best friend came over and they walked the path with the moms while the other dad and I moved along from jump-scare station to jump-scare station, doing things like dragging heavy chains along the barn ceiling as they walked through, popping up in masks, etc. We had "candy station" and both girls liked it a lot and actually it was a cool enough thing that I thought "wow a bit more work and a little licensing and I could just charge for this as a Haunted Woodswalk". But, of course that's another project that died in my mind, given life's reality right now.

Microplastics posted:

It is almost certainly this. I doubt any kind of peer influence is playing a part, if behaviour outside the home is fine.

She might restrain herself when interacting with her sister but she's probably specifically mad at you both for paying attention to her sister. Maybe she can't find the language to express it, or perhaps isn't even sure why she's feeling the way she's feeling and needs to be told ("we're playing with your sister instead of you all the time and you're angry about that")

I tend to agree, and, I have approached this with the following messaging more or less: "Whatever you feel is okay, even if it's painful, it's just how you feel and that's normal and we can't always control it. We do have some control over how we act, and when you feel really bad, if you can talk to us about it or draw about it or go play outside about it, that's a good response. Hitting us or throwing things is a bad response". I think I mentioned I do meditation and yoga with her pretty regularly and the kid can just sit still and apparantly watch her breath for 5-15 mins depending on the day. If she ever connects that to the way she instantly freaks out about circumstances changing slightly I think it will be a lightbulb moment for her, but, all I can do is sort of paint the door as bright as possible. When we're actually meditating, if something awful happens like her sister comes along and pulls her hair.... she's still usually able to just recenter, "remember, we're just focusing on breath, tuning out distractions is good so lets just think of your sister as a REALLY DISTRACTING THING". Zero problems with her on the meditation mat or the yoga mat afterwards. Stuff can deteriorate pretty fast after, though!

ikanreed posted:

What do you try in the moment? Stern voiced warning? Time outs? Redirection? Asking them to think about others?

When she is really in the thick of it she can't be reasoned with. If she will walk to a timeout in her room on her own, she's allowed to take whatever toys she wants with her. If she pushes things to the point where I have to simply pick her up as gently as possible and carry her screaming to her room, then she goes with whatever toys are already there. This has about a 50% hit rate of causing her to self-recuse before being carried.

As soon as she calms down and stops screaming I try to approach her gently, make it clear I am not mad but I am sad she's so unhappy and that I'd really like to try to understand why; to the extent she knows, sometimes she says things that make sense ("I am mad at my sister, she hit me! I am mad that I am not allowed to play video games!") and sometimes she either doesn't know or says things that don't track like "because I love you", "because it's funny", etc. I do then remind her about other people, I reminded her she's loved and her mom and I will never hit her back no matter how much she misbehaves but we really want to help her find better habits, and also express sympathy and empathy that she must be feeling pretty bad and confused to act like this, and, again, that's just how she feels and even if it sucks, it's fundamentally okay.

I try not to raise my voice or be commanding and intimidating. I am not always good at this. My own father who I love very much did the same thing, I think to a greater extent, and by all accounts his dad was a right bastard who would really, really do the same thing in a toxic way -- his dad was a bastard hypercapitalist, and HIS dad was a right bastard who had like 3 different families he kept abandoing. I think there's a karmic trickle down here and each successive generation has been somewhat less of a right bastard.... but the tendency is far from extinguished. I am never threatening but a couple times when stuff has just been totally beyond the pale I have said pretty inappropriate stuff like "what in the name of holy gently caress are you doing?!"

Iridium posted:

and just like long covid it may be years before we really understood what happened/is happening, and what the real effects are/will be.

I think by the time we have that data we're going to be more concerned with "NYT OP-ED: COVERAGE OF THE ONGOING CENTRAL AMERICAN "WATER WARS" WHICH ARE NOW "SPIRALING" INTO THE TEXAN REPUBLIC ARE HIGHLY DISTURBING TO YOUTH, MEDIA NEEDS TO TONE DOWN HYPERBOLE IN COVER OF THESE MILD HYDRATION RELATED DISAGREEMENTS" by Monica Ghandi.

:sigh: :allears:

We're also trying to address this by spending more 1:1 time with her. I have a trip out of town this week for a dr's consult and decided to bring her (after clearing it with dr, she'll just need to sit there quietly in a mask with a video game during the appt) and then the next day we're going to go to the Worcester Ecotarium together before we head back home. (I told her I think that's where we learn how to be EcoTerrorists, which got me a black look from my wife, I need to read less CSPAM before breakfast). Likewise my wife has taken her on some day trips, and might do an overnight with her. It would be real nice if we could stick kid sister somewhere for 24-48hrs and do a 3-of-us trip or staycation, and that should eventually be possible, we are at a point where we have to find childcare options for the younger kid, but god drat is everyone slammed around here, if I could stomach the thought and liability I'd open a daycare.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Aug 2, 2022

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

I try not to raise my voice or be commanding and intimidating. ...

I am of two minds about this in my parenting. I think there are situations where being mad and assertive and letting the kid know you are mad is appropriate and probably for the best. Generally I reserve this approach for when their safety or the safety of others is in danger (which may apply to your situation), and it can snap them out of their coy silliness/obtuse helplessness, and bring them back to reality where they know something is wrong and they are able to communicate with you.

Obviously if there is a cycle of abuse and you want to avoid that it brings a whole lot of other factors into the mix so this isn't necessarily advice or anything just something I am thinking through.

My general thought is if you are *never* mad or loud how can they know when something is actually very serious/dangerous as opposed to more gentle run of the mill attitude or behavior course corrections.

Like I said, still thinking through this

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

AxGrap posted:

I am of two minds about this in my parenting. I think there are situations where being mad and assertive and letting the kid know you are mad is appropriate and probably for the best. Generally I reserve this approach for when their safety or the safety of others is in danger (which may apply to your situation), and it can snap them out of their coy silliness/obtuse helplessness, and bring them back to reality where they know something is wrong and they are able to communicate with you.

Obviously if there is a cycle of abuse and you want to avoid that it brings a whole lot of other factors into the mix so this isn't necessarily advice or anything just something I am thinking through.

My general thought is if you are *never* mad or loud how can they know when something is actually very serious/dangerous as opposed to more gentle run of the mill attitude or behavior course corrections.

The other day when we had a get together on my street, my son was tired, hit his knee and started being hysterical that he needed to have it washed before he could play with the other kids. I was carrying his little brother and couldn't keep up to grab him before he went into the street, so I shouted at him, which was when he finally snapped back to reality. Wasn't particularly fun or a proud parenting moment, but I think you're right that it's ok to see that your parents can get upset with you.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Struensee posted:

The other day when we had a get together on my street, my son was tired, hit his knee and started being hysterical that he needed to have it washed before he could play with the other kids. I was carrying his little brother and couldn't keep up to grab him before he went into the street, so I shouted at him, which was when he finally snapped back to reality. Wasn't particularly fun or a proud parenting moment, but I think you're right that it's ok to see that your parents can get upset with you.

Also when someone else's safety is out at risk, or violence is used to lash out, the first thing I do sometimes is separate them and communicate "this is not acceptable" with some bass in my voice before we can delve into motivations. I'm not big mad often so sometimes it can scare the kid, but I think it may be worth it to express the gravity of the situation.

I've also had friends who somehow have done very well with a gentle only approach, and some who have had good luck with strict and quick discipline, and some who ignore problematic behavior until it settles down before addressing it so there is def not one best way imo, just the best one for your combined personalities that gets the best results with the least damage. Uff this poo poo is hard lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

AxGrap posted:

I appreciate the input. A lot of my thinking on this is informed by communication with my wife over the years who has told me I become intimidating and overbearing when I am extremely angry. There was an incident maybe four months ago where she and I were really not getting along and voices had been raised and finally out of frustration I brought my cellphone down bang on the banister. To me, I had hit a point of overload (this was an argument I had tried four times to get out of and push off to a more reflective conversation ~a day later) and I took my adrenaline out on an expensive inanimate object which I knew I'd have to replace if broken, as a sort of self-defeating act of physical exasperation.

My wife was scared I was going to throw the phone at her, or something equally unhinged. To me, there's just no world where that happens, I take poo poo out on myself and I would have gone to another room and started punching the wall until I broke my thin rear end bones, but I would never raise a hand to her or the kids. At the same time, I think she's a highly thoughtful and rational person, and so if in that moment she felt like her safety was at risk, that makes me feel super lovely and also makes me think I am projecting a level of toxicity and anger in those moments which I must learn to do a better job handling.

I do remember my dad during an argument with my mom just outright throwing his cereal bowl into the ground, at his feet. IIRC, It was either a Richard Batterham bowl which he deeply loved, or one he had made himself (he was a potter), so I see a sort of similar act of "physical rage manifests as a self-sabotaging act which also scares the living hell out of anyone in the vicinity".

My dad did not do this poo poo very much at all, but I think I probably remember every time it happened in some detail. We're talking 5-6 events over the 18 years I lived there, but obviously that poo poo sunk in, and obviously I carry that same toxic tendency to become unable to internalize.

The hard part for us is I can feel this coming on and my gut instinct is always to flee which usually works fine, and then we both calm down and we can talk about whatever was really going on over the next few days. Where I get kind of crazy is if I feel "pinned down", as in, I am desperately trying to flee a situation before it escalates, and my partner sometimes becomes obsessed with "we have to solve this NOW or we'll never want to work through it". I am sympathetic to that, it's loving HARD to come back to something lovely a day later when everything feels better. But to me, that's the work to do, because I don't think trying to process stuff when we're both so worked up that I am trying to leave the room before I smash my phone, is healthy.

Yes, I talk about all this with my therapist. I think I've actually made substantial progress on my anger issues over the years but also the world is getting hotter (literally, and politically) around me and so it's like a mad game of keeping pace and trying to fortify my coping mechanisms ever more against an ever more stressful world.

God knows what poo poo will be like when my kids are my age, which is one reason I am so gung ho to teach them some meditation now. But, I am 100% doing this from the perspective of "this helps build good mental discipline that can benefit you in all areas of your life" and not as some alarmist thing -- in fact the idea of doing this occurred to me long before I had my big :crackping: moments on climate etc, simply because I speculate that if my own parents had done this it might have made my teen years better.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Baby takes their first steps and starts c walking across the house

i keep a poop flag hanging out the left side

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

It's really frustrating and I am sorry.

that means an awful lot and is appreciated.

Do you mind elaborating just so I know what to be prepared for?

different categories can create very different perceptions of your child. you have to qualify under certain special Ed categories to get help beyond a 504 plan. some of the categories have reputations.

be prepared to tell them things and then they don’t listen, then they do the assessments and they tell you the things you already told them. insist on a full evaluation.

do your homework before starting the process and know what you need.

unrelated stress and burnout are real bastards we had to change our situation, sold a condo moved into an apartment for a year , changed schools (in the same district) bought a house. you might need radical changes to get rid of the stress.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Aug 3, 2022

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Thanks everyone --- in no particular order:

This is wonderful to hear just because we really have no idea if we're at "SUPER loving COMMON" or "WARNING SIGNS FOR SERIOUS ISSUES". We assumed more the former, but, having a kid suddenly get violent is alarming. I think the obvious provocation is that her kid sister started hitting her first, which, you know, yea, but also she's 1 and doesn't hit hard.

Soon, and this is a good thought, though our district is somewhat in turmoil now because it's imploding and my school is leaving the district so services and poo poo are gonna be fucky for a year or two I suspect. Definitely worth exploring.

This is both reassuring, and also somewhat alarming because the concept of her not being able to make progress on this stuff hadn't really crossed my mind, but, of course it exists as some nonzero thing.

In addition to what Bar Ran Dun said, if you go this route you unfortunately need to be forceful with the team, because you're probably going to be meeting with public school employees and your daughter is one of probably hundreds of students that need to be evaluated. They're going to try to get this done quickly because they're busy. I'm not saying they don't care, but they're trying to get everything done by a deadline. Don't be afraid to be THAT parent who asks questions, asks for clarification, and most importantly asks for time to consider some of these decisions. Unfortunately the system isn't perfect, but it works if you force it to. I hope that makes sense.

Edit:

For parent content, our youngest is finally eating regularly!!! It took FOREVER. I'm right now watching him use a carrot as a spoon to shovel peanut butter into his mouth. It's going to be hard to go back to work next week because I'm enjoying just hanging out with these guys all day and doing stuff around the house.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Aug 3, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh god we just discovered today that the toddler's been sneakily sharing her sandwiches with the dog. Not like giving him a piece, but like letting him take a bite and then going back to eating it hahahahhahaha 😂🤢 whyyyyy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
sharing is good though :confused:

for real maybe time to explain doggies don’t wash their hands

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh god we just discovered today that the toddler's been sneakily sharing her sandwiches with the dog. Not like giving him a piece, but like letting him take a bite and then going back to eating it hahahahhahaha 😂🤢 whyyyyy

Yup you got a toddler alright

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter is becoming super sharp with understanding words and directions but still insists on scraping the fork on the plate and setting my teeth on edge and dear god little Soup please HOLD IT LIKE THIS, SEE LIKE THIS, NO DONT SMILE AND LAUGH AT DAD

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Good soup! posted:

My daughter is becoming super sharp with understanding words and directions but still insists on scraping the fork on the plate and setting my teeth on edge and dear god little Soup please HOLD IT LIKE THIS, SEE LIKE THIS, NO DONT SMILE AND LAUGH AT DAD

This behavior has not changed up through age 7 so far at least

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid loves screaming. not yelling or crying, just randomly going AAAAAAAAAA as loud as he can. i try not to laugh and encourage it but it's pretty funny. it really hurts my ears when he randomly lets loose during bathtime though. at least he seems to enjoy screaming!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In the parenting doghouse for the first time for introducing adult topics. The four year old is reading ahead and getting bored with her books so we started Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I didn't consider the pejorative nature of Augustus Gloop. Cut to the child gleefully and loudly sorting kids and teachers into fat and thin on the playground.

Whoops.

Now to hopefully model some empathy before she causes some permanent damage. Or failing that discretion I guess.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's generally a good idea to check up on beloved children's books before introducing them, a lot of them are ...not very PC. My mom found her old books, and read a beloved Danish classic which turned out to be a guide to racist stereotypes, complete with caricatures. It was quickly hidden away again, no harm done (I hope).

He's pretty chill about gender though: we're expecting a baby in November, and "we" decided we didn't want to know the genitals. So now the 5 year old (from Saturday) has declared that the baby will be something between a boy and a girl.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm usually pretty good about it but this one was a blind spot and I found myself censoring quite a bit in text but you can't miss the central message. Here's hoping she absorbs Veruca Salt with similar fervor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm of the opinion that children need to learn how judgement works before they can mature to fair and non prejudicial judgement.

Children are going to learn the wrong lesson from things sometimes, and how you deal with that is probably way more important to their development than trying to never let it happen in the first place.

I'd hate to think how bad my moral judgement was at 4.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, but a lot of what we read to them also teaches them the basic framework for understanding poo poo. Stuff like "this is a [slur]. They all like doing [racist stereotype]" (which is literally what my mom's book was) will not be questioned in the right manner, just accepted as fact. I don't have any not Danish examples, but I think background stuff like "oh he's a fattie, he must be lazy and dumb" will get absorbed the same way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Speaking of bad parenting I was letting my daughter steal my glasses off my face because she'd try to be sneaky (slowly reach out with her hands while staring directly at them) about it then cackle every time she pulled off the spectacle heist. We've got a lot of family members who wear glasses. I've created a monster.

Rookie mistake on my part.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Definitely need to think ahead to "what are the long term implications" because it's never just a one time thing!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dreylad posted:

Speaking of bad parenting I was letting my daughter steal my glasses off my face because she'd try to be sneaky (slowly reach out with her hands while staring directly at them) about it then cackle every time she pulled off the spectacle heist. We've got a lot of family members who wear glasses. I've created a monster.

Rookie mistake on my part.

Eh depends on what she does with them once she's got them. We have to be vigilant with our 16mo because he likes to test things to destruction. Both of us have lost frames to his furious curiosity.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid likes to grab the glasses off my wifes face but he never does it to me... curious.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Dear baby: Just because it's a perfect fit doesn't mean your entire finger has to go up my nose

Also stop pinching my nipple it doesn't have any milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
But if they pinch hard enough it might have blood.