Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I went to go see a movie last night and in some parts of the movie I had trouble making out the dialogue. It wasn’t over loud music or sound effects and it didn’t sound quiet, just muddled. Is this a possible sign of hearing loss? Or just a thing that happens sometimes because of audio mixing? I only ask because my sister says I have to ask her to repeat herself more often than average so it’s been on my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of movies and TV are poorly mixed so if that's the only place you're having trouble I wouldn't be worried. But since your sister has said something, it's probably worth getting checked out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I went to go see a movie last night and in some parts of the movie I had trouble making out the dialogue. It wasn’t over loud music or sound effects and it didn’t sound quiet, just muddled. Is this a possible sign of hearing loss? Or just a thing that happens sometimes because of audio mixing? I only ask because my sister says I have to ask her to repeat herself more often than average so it’s been on my mind.

Yeah if your friends/family say you're asking more often, your hearing has probably degraded for some reason. Could be perfectly normal as you age, or accelerated by too many loud shows. Or maybe your ear canals are clogged. But wouldn't hurt to see an audiologist. I have a buddy who ended up with hearing aids that he had to point out to me. Super tiny and completely unnoticeable, smart app connected, etc. It's not quite like it used to be.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Word of advice, if you make an appointment with a pcp about it, you should take the initiative and use debrox drops for a week prior to the appointment, because if it's just wax buildup, they will want you to do that before they give you an earnema, so you might be able to get it in one visit. That's IF it's wax.

In fact sometimes a week of debrox will do the trick on its own.

Signed, someone with very waxy ears

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Definitely worth a shot. My father finally went to the doctor after two years of slowly worsening hearing loss.

It was wax.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

artsy fartsy posted:

Inmates, specifically poor inmates exploited by whoever runs the commissary and/or messaging systems (all which are overly expensive and whose UIs are broken and lovely) and more importantly, inmates in Texas with NO AIR CONDITIONING. I'm in an area where it's regularly getting into the triple digits during the day. People are being roasted alive, I have a loved one trapped in there right now, I want to scream.

Texas Abolitionists has a resource page that might have some leads for you.

I am so sorry that someone dear to you is experiencing this kind of abuse.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A lot of movies these days have the dialogue way too quiet in the audio mix, for various stupid reasons.

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

(It's always possible your ears are wearing out too, of course.)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Word of advice, if you make an appointment with a pcp about it, you should take the initiative and use debrox drops for a week prior to the appointment, because if it's just wax buildup, they will want you to do that before they give you an earnema, so you might be able to get it in one visit. That's IF it's wax.

In fact sometimes a week of debrox will do the trick on its own.

Signed, someone with very waxy ears

I briefly went nearly deaf in one ear due to wax, and went down the waxy ear self-care rabbit hole. I did debrox and water flushes, which did work eventually, but after that whole ordeal I bought one of those BeBird endoscopes. It's a tiny, clear plastic spoon with an LED light and a camera on it, sends the footage to your phone. They're about 25 bucks and will, at the very least, give you a pretty good idea immediately if its wax or not.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Preview Weirdness Songbook Update - I had airdropped a copy to an iPad the day or two before the weirdness started. So I airdropped it back, and thought I was in the clear. The Textboxes were starting with Red Times New Roman (although it says size 15, when I could have sworn it was size 8 before, but it still looks the same). Anyway was cruising along nicely, until it got to the page 27 (the one after I tried to put a line in), and it's back to the black helevetica size 12 thing. Then I tried airdropping it (the version that had saved before the weirdness started) to a different computer, exact same loving problem. When I click on the existing red/times new roman text, it somehow thinks it's black/helevetica, but only after page 27. But when I go add a new text box, it does start in red/TNR. Motherfucker. Kind of wish Reply All's super text support was still around.

edit - also getting my ear flushed at the doctors one time was one of the most supremely satisfying experiences of my life. It was a straight-up blockage though, I remember him saying "don't worry, we'll have you back hearing in stereo in no time".

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 3, 2022

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Preview Weirdness Songbook Update - I had airdropped a copy to an iPad the day or two before the weirdness started. So I airdropped it back, and thought I was in the clear. The Textboxes were starting with Red Times New Roman (although it says size 15, when I could have sworn it was size 8 before, but it still looks the same). Anyway was cruising along nicely, until it got to the page 27 (the one after I tried to put a line in), and it's back to the black helevetica size 12 thing. Then I tried airdropping it (the version that had saved before the weirdness started) to a different computer, exact same loving problem. When I click on the existing red/times new roman text, it somehow thinks it's black/helevetica, but only after page 27. But when I go add a new text box, it does start in red/TNR. Motherfucker. Kind of wish Reply All's super text support was still around.

edit - also getting my ear flushed at the doctors one time was one of the most supremely satisfying experiences of my life. It was a straight-up blockage though, I remember him saying "don't worry, we'll have you back hearing in stereo in no time".

Free on the MacOS app-store is Apple's word processor called "Pages" -- is that an option for editing? I think you are exceeding the capabilities of Preview...

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don't want to drown the thread with details, but the process started with a word doc, with nice small margins. Lyrics formatted to make the most of the page, lines spaced enough to fit the chords above. Then I printed to PDF to preserve the formatting, cos I planned to print it out and write them in (which I had done before). Then I realised that was stupid, and figured out I could just put little text boxes above, which I could then fine tune and adjust, and then carry around on a tablet, instead of a 420 page book. And it was all great until yesterday.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

I need to run ethernet and power through a patio door (and then the ethernet goes through the outside of the building to another room) but I rent this place so I can't go and drill holes in the walls or gently caress with screens. Does anyone have any ideas?

Even something like this is kind of a problem because it doesn't do gigabit. Also doesn't solve the power problem. :(

You can get flat cat6.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there a good website or app to train oneself to learn excel?

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
In lieu of a KVS switch, I've been unplugging my keyboard from my worklaptop to my personal PC.

Do USB connectors have a rated lifespan? If I keep unplugging and plugging, will it ever fail?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Trickortreat posted:

In lieu of a KVS switch, I've been unplugging my keyboard from my worklaptop to my personal PC.

Do USB connectors have a rated lifespan? If I keep unplugging and plugging, will it ever fail?

They do, and it probably will fail eventually, but I couldn't tell you the numbers off the top of my head.

I do know one of the old connectors - mini usb? - was retired because it was prone to failure in quite a short time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Trickortreat posted:

Not sure about rated lifespans, but I've definitely had USB connectors of mobile hard disks and Micro USB phone chargers go loose and "wobbly" after a few years of almost daily use.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mini usb connectors are pretty terribly fragile and I'm not surprised to hear that that's the reason they were retired. Full-size usb connectors are pretty hardy though and I feel like it'll last you a few years even with daily unplugging, as long as you don't treat it particularly roughly or anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

What do you want to do with excel? I teach it for a living so I could send you some resources if you want.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

You can get flat cat6.

Yeah but they’re still like a couple mm thick and get hosed up by a door or window pinching them if you can still close a thing around them

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Excel is really easy to use, once you've got the basics of how to enter a formula and select multiple cells the rest of it can be done just by googling "how to do [whatever] in excel" and you'll get a result for it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TV Zombie posted:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...%20your%20data.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

gay frog chemicals posted:

Excel is really easy to use, once you've got the basics of how to enter a formula and select multiple cells the rest of it can be done just by googling "how to do [whatever] in excel" and you'll get a result for it.

If you know what you want to do this works but Excel has a bunch of capabilities that are less obvious. It could work if you had a guide to things that Excel can do; I don't know of a good one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

If you know what you want to do this works but Excel has a bunch of capabilities that are less obvious. It could work if you had a guide to things that Excel can do; I don't know of a good one.

One time a website I was working on was being scraped using excel

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Slimy Hog posted:

One time a website I was working on was being scraped using excel

They spent so long wondering if they could that no one stopped to ask if they should.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

tuyop posted:

What do you want to do with excel? I teach it for a living so I could send you some resources if you want.

I'm so sorry

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

TV Zombie posted:

Excel does so much unrelated stuff that you can spend a ton of time learning things that will never be relevant for your use case. What's your end goal here? Assuming you know the very basics (see LLsix's link) I would suggest chunking that up into discrete tasks, then googling for formula suggestions as you get stuck.

Honestly the biggest thing to learn about Excel is when it's not the right tool. Especially once you get into VBA, there's very little that can't be done in Excel. That doesn't mean you should. Excel is not a database, Excel is not great for collaborative work, and for the love of all that is holy do not use Excel as a substitute for ERP or accounting software.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

They spent so long wondering if they could that no one stopped to ask if they should.

You know about the flight simulator in Excel, right? And the guy that implemented a roller coaster in it?

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Excel is turing complete as of like last year I think, you can program literally anything in it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Excel has been Turing complete for a lot longer than that even if you don't count VBA. But honestly, that's not all that impressive; most things are Turing complete because Turing machines are extremely simple. Hell, even Powerpoint can do arbitrary computations in its animation engine.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think you just need arrayformula and then you can pretty easily make a rule 110 cellular automaton, which is Turing complete.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My favourite excel thing is this article making a pretty decent argument that you should consider using it as a game engine.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/microsoft-excel-revolutionary-3d-game-engine-

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Why the "O" in "O-ring"? Are there other ring shapes I'm unaware of? F?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tad Naff posted:

Suck my d-ring

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tad Naff posted:

Perhaps in reference to its circular cross section.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Tad Naff posted:

quote:

Although the O-ring was originally so named because of its circular cross section, there are now variations in cross-section design. The shape can have different profiles, such as an x-shaped profile, commonly called the X-ring, Q-ring, or by the trademarked name Quad Ring.

There are also rings with a square profile, commonly called square-cuts, lathe cuts, tabular cut or Square rings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring#Other_seals

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Tad Naff posted:

D-rings and T-rings are common piston seals.
Rotary unions often use a square cross-section.
U, V, and W seals are common for sealing against dust or fluids.
And there are plenty of other common specialty shapes.
Haven't seen an F, but it's a simple enough shape that it probably exists.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Ah, I hadn't considered other than the top-down view. Makes more sense now, thanks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

And an X-ring is just an overgrown Z95. A-wings are pretty cool, though

...wait, what are we talking about?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kalel posted:

I'm so sorry

Eh, it pays the bills and is definitely less stressful and dangerous than teaching kids in the plague mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

tuyop posted:

Eh, it pays the bills and is definitely less stressful and dangerous than teaching kids in the plague mines.

Professional training actually sounds pretty chill as far as teaching jobs go. No dealing with children, the people in the class often have practical experience that contributes to the discussion, and if any of the students don't give a gently caress it's their manager's problem and not yours.