Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Sounds to me like the guy is a prick and you should have told him to eat your rear end in a top hat.
Seems like some dealers are a little high on their leverage and are forgetting they will still need to sell cars when poo poo cools down. I had one dealer offer me 1/3 the trade in value of my car.. I immediately got up and walked right the gently caress out the door. Won't ever set foot there again.

In my experience Toyota dealerships around me had no problem putting me on a list but it's still a long wait with no way for them to give a remotely accurate estimate.

Math You fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So we moved recently and I remember driving through the automotive district thinking "wow loving nobody has cars right now to sell, wild"

Today drove car back from the shop, new car lots are still scarce, but all the used car lots seem to be overflowing now

Had to drive through auto row again. Hard to tell who is a used car dealer and who's a regular retail lot, everything is full

I suspect at this point the used car scarcity/panic is mostly over, used dealers are trying to minimize their losses but if you want to buy a Nissan or something in a couple months you'll be paying more reasonable prices finally

Probably boned if you want a new car though

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was thinking something similar though I'm dealing with quite a bit of motivated reasoning. My 17 year old Camry's evaporator leaks like a sieve and since it's buried behind the engine the cost in labor alone would be like a third the bluebook of the car. I'll survive one summer without AC but really want to avoid doing it again in 2023.

33% value of car repairs are definitely at the “consider another car” point but not past the line of no return IMO. I opted to do drivetrain repairs on my car that were around 30% of the value. Finding cars that aren’t lovely kinda sucks unless you can spend money that’s basically new car money. But, if you want another car, don’t let me stop you! Just the BFC side talking.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Actually closer to 50% with parts as well but I appreciate the perspective. Car runs well for such an old sucker. Still, 2006 was a long time ago. That chain of batteries is going to go sooner rather than later. To top it off I'm a proud papa now and something more family friendly would be a big help. Losing the AC is really just the final straw. Or it will be in 8 months or so because I'm such a cheap bastard.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Canna Happy posted:

Ok Car Buying Thread, give me a little sanity check as I haven't purchased a new car for 18 years.

I contacted the nearest toyota dealership about buying a corolla hybrid. I was upfront and let them know that I knew there was a shortage and waiting a few months for a hybrid was fine by me but that I would like to stop by and check out a gas model that they had so I could compare general driving characteristics and interior. I don't want a new car, but my Fit is a manual that is starting to bother my knee in stop and go and it needs a bunch of little things (and a clutch) at 200k. I test drove a '21 corolla and a new camry just to compare. I felt like the Corolla matched my needs better (commuter car, no kids, 24 miles one way, 70% interstate with stop and go traffic on some of the drive home).
After test driving and comparing them, I sat down with the sales person. I said I would like to order a corolla hybrid with cloth interior and the bsm package. I asked him what he thought the wait would be, and he said he had no idea. He then told me that the dealership usually gets 4-5 hybrids a month, and they're on a first come first serve basis. There is no list, there is no ordering, there is no deposit to hold the car. They call a few people and whoever can show up first can buy whatever color and options package (the hybrid doesn't have a lot) they get.

I'm going to call the dealership south of me tomorrow, but this really isn't how most places are doing things...right? Like, how does this even work.

Some of the Hyundai dealers I called were like this, others had a waiting list. Doesn't make sense to me but if they get the color you want and you're free that day you might as well go buy it. But I'd also try to get my name on a list at another dealer or two.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if I'm a dealer, and I can sell every car I get as soon as it comes in the door at MSRP+ with basically zero effort, why bother keeping a deposit list? That's just more work for me. Tons of customers back out of allocations and it's just generally annoying to deal with.

Plenty of dealers take deposits on allocations, you just have to find one that does. I would tell that salesdude at the first dealer that you are interested in staying on their call list when a hybrid corolla comes through.

Just as a FYI - the driving dynamics between the gas Corolla and the hybrid are similar but not the same. Since you're considering buying a Corolla hybrid, I doubt you care about driving dynamics, but it's worth mentioning just in case. Interior and other features will be almost entirely the same, so it's still reasonable to go check it out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the toyotas fly off the lots so fast salesman can't promise you another car quickly because they won't even know the recent arrivals exist in the few hours it takes for another salesman to sell it. the trick is to be the biggest pain in the dealerships rear end by calling every few days for a buyer backing out on a car that's either on the lot or arriving in a only a few days

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if I'm a dealer, and I can sell every car I get as soon as it comes in the door at MSRP+ with basically zero effort, why bother keeping a deposit list? That's just more work for me. Tons of customers back out of allocations and it's just generally annoying to deal with.

Plenty of dealers take deposits on allocations, you just have to find one that does. I would tell that salesdude at the first dealer that you are interested in staying on their call list when a hybrid corolla comes through.

Just as a FYI - the driving dynamics between the gas Corolla and the hybrid are similar but not the same. Since you're considering buying a Corolla hybrid, I doubt you care about driving dynamics, but it's worth mentioning just in case. Interior and other features will be almost entirely the same, so it's still reasonable to go check it out.

Just curious how they differ and if the same would apply to the Camry hybrid vs gas? I’m buying the hybrid either way but they never have any available to test drive so I’ve only been in the regular one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The hybrid is slower. It might feel slightly punchier off the line than the 1.8 but it will feel much slower than the 2.0. The engine will turn off sometimes when you are driving. The braking system works differently and the behavior on-throttle or off is going to be a bit different.

This will be true of any hybrid vs "nomal" version of the same car, except the speed thing. The Camry Hybrid is faster than the 4 cyl Camry, IIRC.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The hybrid is slower. It might feel slightly punchier off the line than the 1.8 but it will feel much slower than the 2.0. The engine will turn off sometimes when you are driving. The braking system works differently and the behavior on-throttle or off is going to be a bit different.

This will be true of any hybrid vs "nomal" version of the same car, except the speed thing. The Camry Hybrid is faster than the 4 cyl Camry, IIRC.

Ok gotcha, thanks.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Also iirc Toyota doesn’t do custom orders. They schedule large batches of limited configurations at the plant based on supply and forecasting and the dealer gets what Toyota offers them. In the normal times dealers can put in requests for certain configs to the regional distributors and they might get something close, but it’s not guaranteed.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I know its going to drive differently, but I just wanted to check out the interior and the road noise mostly.

in a well actually posted:

Also iirc Toyota doesn’t do custom orders. They schedule large batches of limited configurations at the plant based on supply and forecasting and the dealer gets what Toyota offers them. In the normal times dealers can put in requests for certain configs to the regional distributors and they might get something close, but it’s not guaranteed.

Yeah, order is the wrong term. I wanted an allocation, or to be on the list to get one. I told him I could wait, and was more than willing to wait. I told him I was fine with any color, would prefer cloth and blind spot monitoring, but I was flexible and would most likely take one with the upgraded interior package (which are the only options on the hybrid). I get why they don't want to take deposits I guess, it is an added headache, but why not work their way down a list. If there are 50 people on the list and they get five a month, it would just give them a rough estimate of time etc etc.

Thank you car buying thread.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Had to drive through auto row again. Hard to tell who is a used car dealer and who's a regular retail lot, everything is full

I suspect at this point the used car scarcity/panic is mostly over, used dealers are trying to minimize their losses but if you want to buy a Nissan or something in a couple months you'll be paying more reasonable prices finally

Probably boned if you want a new car though

Update again, independent validation from a local car group post elsewhere on the internet:

Looking for input from someone in the "car biz", versus just gearhead speculation. So, I drive down M St twice a day, to and from work. Every new dealer (and some of the higher end used lots), regardless of brand, has off-brand, relatively new, accessorized out the bung hole trucks/SUV's sitting on their front lines. My question is, with the supposed world supply of vehicles still in a drought, how are these guys able to get their hands on such a glut of new stuff? Maybe not so much the smaller used lots, but drive past the new Infinity lot, the Mazda and Honda lots, the Dodge/Jeep used lot...they all have these frig'n trucks with lots of air and rubber under them, and less than a year or two old. Where are these coming from? If the new dealers are having such a hard time getting ahold of them, they can't be off-lease or program vehicles, or you'd think the selling dealer would keep them for their own inventory when traded back in since new equipment is supposedly so hard to stock. Just wondering if anyone "in the know" at a dealership can explain this phenomena to me...just curious?? And BTW...have you seen that "MEGA REXX" Raptor at S-H Mazda priced at $168k...??!!??...I mean, who in the hell...???

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Most cars in a dealer's used inventory come from wholesale auction houses like Manheim. Dealers will keep desirable cars they receive in trade but most trades process through Manheim (or similar, but Manheim is by far the dominant player) and out to other dealers.

if I have to guess how most of those particular vehicles are getting to Manheim it is through repossessions. Finance companies flip their repos through the wholesale auction business.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Car repos are up, but they're not "car dealers are literally overflowing lots with cars" repos are up

Unless they are, in which case we're in a much, much deeper recession already than I thought we were :ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not in the biz, but I can tell you I know a bunch of people who upgraded when used car values went through the roof.

My neighbor for instance had a Silverado 1500 LT. Bought it cheap, drove it for like 2 years, then traded it in for more than he paid for it against a 2500 LTZ.

A couple years ago the Ford dealers around me would sell a "Chrome and Tow" F-150 XLT for 14 to 17K off MSRP. There could be over 100 on the lot to choose from. There are definitely people who paid like 35K for their F150 who all of a sudden could get 42K on trade who upgraded to something nicer or bigger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't ignore the ability of dealerships to completely overprice cars, even in this market.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't ignore the ability of dealerships to completely overprice cars, even in this market.

Don't underestimate the consumer's willingness to sign up for a 132 month payment plan

"Just $96 a month? That's less than my gas bill!!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Car repos are up, but they're not "car dealers are literally overflowing lots with cars" repos are up

Unless they are, in which case we're in a much, much deeper recession already than I thought we were :ohdear:

My mistake, based on your post I thought you were talking about specifically the year old 60k trucks with 20k of accessories. A lot of those are trades but a much higher share than average are repos. Repo rate is not consistent across all models of cars.

Lots are generally full because dealers bought cars at a premium and the market cooled a bit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This is from 20 years ago, but I worked at a GM dealer at the turn of the century, and at that time the vast majority of cars on the used lot came from auction.
Lease returns, old rentals etc...
I'd have to say that for every 10 cars traded for something newer, maybe 2-3 were actually in decent enough shape/low enough mileage to go on the used lot.

Most of the used cars we got in trade went to the smaller lots. We regularly had guys come around from the smaller lots to pick over our "back lot inventory".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How long do buyers sit on the allocation lists?

We talking closer to a season or closer to a year?

I waited over 2 months for a base trim civic hatch to come in. It naturally waited until I was in the process of buying a house so I backed out. So now I’m shopping again and get to go through the whole allocation thing again. The dealers I’ve talked to about another civic hatch have none coming. So I’ll be looking at the crosstrek, new hr-v, and cx-30 and see what has the best timeline.

e: aaaaaaand my name is on a cx-30 select showing up in less than 2 weeks. Was not expecting that.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How dumb or how much should I saved in the bank to buy something like a convertible BMW 2/4-Series or Audi TT / A3 that is out of warranty but around ~40k miles?

To be perfectly clear, the way I look at things I want to have some kind of ball park estimate of how much things will cost on average if something goes wrong. Is anyone able to share their personal experiences? I have at least one friend who swears up and down he will never own a German car ever again without a warranty.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How dumb or how much should I saved in the bank to buy something like a convertible BMW 2/4-Series or Audi TT / A3 that is out of warranty but around ~40k miles?

To be perfectly clear, the way I look at things I want to have some kind of ball park estimate of how much things will cost on average if something goes wrong. Is anyone able to share their personal experiences? I have at least one friend who swears up and down he will never own a German car ever again without a warranty.

Edmunds' TCO may give you a decent estimate of general costs: https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

Be aware the general rule of never owning a German car out of warranty exists for a reason. Repair costs will be unusually high. Their engineering is admirable, but stuff tends to be fragile and complicated, and then expensive to repair.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Used car values at the moment have made things weird, but it's generally not any cheaper to own a used BMW /etc mid range car in years 4-7 of its life than to lease it for years 1-3. There's major savings in buying in year 8 if the car had been very well maintained and you do all the work yourself, but at that point you're buying a hobby and not transportation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Edmunds' TCO may give you a decent estimate of general costs: https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

Be aware the general rule of never owning a German car out of warranty exists for a reason. Repair costs will be unusually high. Their engineering is admirable, but stuff tends to be fragile and complicated, and then expensive to repair.

Got a liquid filled front suspension bushing replaced on ours for a cool $1200 in 20k miles plus some other routine maintenance I think we have about $3500 in maintenance including a pair of name brand tires

Bought my e39 at 120k and drove it 40k miles, just put oil in it and a new pair of rear tires. Only got rid of it because of a 1 amp short in the trunk at the ~20 year mark I didn't want to get into

Wouldn't want to have to maintain an M5 though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

To be perfectly clear, the way I look at things I want to have some kind of ball park estimate of how much things will cost on average if something goes wrong.

How long is a piece of string?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

heffray posted:

Used car values at the moment have made things weird, but it's generally not any cheaper to own a used BMW /etc mid range car in years 4-7 of its life than to lease it for years 1-3. There's major savings in buying in year 8 if the car had been very well maintained and you do all the work yourself, but at that point you're buying a hobby and not transportation.

:eyepop:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

heffray posted:

Ah,. I guess that's why the thread tells so many people to buy a used 7 series

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How long is a piece of string?

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Hi thread!

My wife and I recently moved back to the USA and are purchasing a car. We're living somewhere with a long winter and very steep hills, so our main defining thing we're looking for is all-wheel drive, a hatchback or small SUV. We've been looking at Rav-4s, CRVs, and Subarus. We both have good experiences with Honda and Toyota, and people we know in the area have been happy with their Subarus.

I'm also starting a new job with a lower salary, and she's still looking for work. We can afford to pay between $10,000 and 15,000 cash up front for a car, or use that as a down payment. Since we're still figuring out the rest of the monthly budget process, we were thinking it might be easier to just get something with cash. Then we don't have to worry about a monthly payment, and can probably re-coup a some of the used value in a year (or less) if we want to buy something new(er.)

With talk of the car market getting back to normal and a possible recession, then we might be in a better place to buy a car and have some options available to us, instead of the 'get to the lot now to pay for it' scramble that people are experiencing right now.

How silly is this plan? IF we are doing the cash option, should we buy through an official dealership if they have something that works, or should we go to a used-only place if we can find a better deal? Is there any negotiating to be done if we can pay cash up front?

road potato fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 6, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Whatever you buy, leave room in your budget to buy a decent set of snowtires ideally on their own set of wheels (can be steel to save money).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Ah,. I guess that's why the thread tells so many people to buy a used 7 series

:hmmyes:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is a conversation we have a lot - nothing wrong with AWD, but it will only help with speeding up, not braking or turning. The thing you need is separate winter tires. Please do not try to use all season tires. You are better off with a front wheel drive car on winters than an AWD car on all seasons.

By all means, get an AWD car if you want but save money in your budget for the wheels and tires.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Winter tires are also in the budget. We're in Duluth, Minnesota, so the snow/ice season is long and the hill is steep.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So has the car shortage eased up yet or what? I think my car will probably need new brakes soon and I'd like to just get something to replace it.

Been driving Dodge/Chrysler all my life and now that I make decent money I feel like it's time to treat myself to a Honda or something

I or my family has owned every Chrysler FWD transaxle made, from the transverse A604 to the longitudinal A604 to the transverse 6 speed A604 to the ZF 9 speed and it 's always worse than the last one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not really. My observation is we're just starting to see a small twinge pricing going down just a little. I think last month's wholesale auction prices trended down a whopping 1%.

The flip side of things though is trade in values are still inflated I think, so depending on what you have now, and what you want to buy, it might be a wash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

So has the car shortage eased up yet or what? I think my car will probably need new brakes soon and I'd like to just get something to replace it.

Just look at dealership lots as you drive by. In my area there is absolutely nothing desirable, i.e. the only full lot is Nissan/Chryco and the rest of the lots are either basically empty or filled up with used cars to make them look less sad.

I totally get wanting to buy a different car, but "I need to replace my brakes" should not be decision making criteria.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My buddy is looking at a project car and there are no 7 series on the market where he's at right now. Looking at a 1972 Merc 280s. What are some of the big problems with mercs of this vintage? Also it's a manual? Shouldn't be hard to order parts for this I would think

https://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-915920271-mercedes-benz-280-se-280-s-_JM

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Been driving Dodge/Chrysler all my life and now that I make decent money I feel like it's time to treat myself to a Honda or something

I or my family has owned every Chrysler FWD transaxle made, from the transverse A604 to the longitudinal A604 to the transverse 6 speed A604 to the ZF 9 speed and it 's always worse than the last one.

We seem to be past the worst of it, but it's not going to "ease up" in any meaningful sense for many months due to the backlog of demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

So has the car shortage eased up yet or what?

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1546528443956957190?s=20&t=lNmiMQHI41dbzEpjg8rxPA

Nope, there's still a long way to go it seems. Toyota recently put out troubling reports too. Kind of expect things to get better in the Fall but not by much.