Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

S.J. posted:

That huge fist on the cygnar heavy looks sick as hell though.

Yeah, I love that weapon deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Khador battlebox is up - https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/02/preview-battlegroups-at-gen-con-and-online-thursday/

And the demo cards pdf has been updated to include the contents of said Khador battlebox - https://home.privateerpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/MkIV_Cards_v2.pdf

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The khador warcaster is also pretty bananas

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
The Khador warjacks are cool enough to almost make me want to give this a shot.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This is absolutely bananas to me. Hello, yes, we have the perfect low cost entry point to the new version of our game - that's only available in this tiny timeframe, can be cancelled at any time within that timeframe if too many people want it, and will never be sold again. If you want to get into the game in the future, wait for the box set that costs $200.

Just bonkers. Nobody is going to start a new game by dropping that much cash unless they were brought in already or are part of wargaming for long enough that they except/know these prices.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
loving hell those Khador look sick.

If they’re not $100 for the starters I may just order one.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

koreban posted:

They'll be $200.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
If you just want the Jacks (and the Warcaster), battlegroups are being sold at Gencon and online from 8/4-10. I'm certain I saw a price for them of $75, but I can't remember where.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

The Deleter posted:

This is absolutely bananas to me. Hello, yes, we have the perfect low cost entry point to the new version of our game - that's only available in this tiny timeframe, can be cancelled at any time within that timeframe if too many people want it, and will never be sold again. If you want to get into the game in the future, wait for the box set that costs $200.

Just bonkers. Nobody is going to start a new game by dropping that much cash unless they were brought in already or are part of wargaming for long enough that they except/know these prices.

The line via someone local to us here (who does playtesting for PP and is thus at least somewhat hooked in) is that the battleboxes didn't/don't reflect what full-size games are like and so they give an inaccurate impression of the game. I do remember we experienced that a few times with Journeyman leagues where people who signed up and enjoyed the earlier weeks decided not to continue once we got to larger armies, so PP probably does have a point (though there's other factors at work there too like $$$ and time to play).

A $200 buy in is nevertheless *a lot* though, especially pitched to someone who doesn't even know if they'll enjoy the game yet. I really don't see how this is going to tempt new players to try Warmachine or convince lapsed players to return. For myself, I at least thought about giving Mk. IV a spin to see if I'd like it, but I'm not gonna throw another $200 down the pit of plastic to find out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Frankly I think it's good that they're being honest and upfront about that. It's a new way of manufacturing and they're not sure what exactly their capabilities are, so telling us "If demand surpasses our ability to supply then we'll stop taking more orders". Like why is that bad? Should they just keep on taking peoples money even if it gets to the point where it'd take them a year+ to deliver on it? They aren't retroactively cancelling orders, they'll just stop taking new orders...

And "buy in early at a cheaper price" is not an uncommon tactic either. You need to entice people to adopt early. It's like how Early Access video games on Steam typically see a price hike when they hit their 1.0 launch. Or any kickstarter that gets sold as a regular product later, usually the backers get a cheaper rate than those buying the thing off the shelf.

evenworse username posted:

The line via someone local to us here (who does playtesting for PP and is thus at least somewhat hooked in) is that the battleboxes didn't/don't reflect what full-size games are like and so they give an inaccurate impression of the game. I do remember we experienced that a few times with Journeyman leagues where people who signed up and enjoyed the earlier weeks decided not to continue once we got to larger armies, so PP probably does have a point (though there's other factors at work there too like $$$ and time to play).

A $200 buy in is nevertheless *a lot* though, especially pitched to someone who doesn't even know if they'll enjoy the game yet. I really don't see how this is going to ... or convince lapsed players to return. For myself, I at least thought about giving Mk. IV a spin to see if I'd like it, but I'm not gonna throw another $200 down the pit of plastic to find out.

Wasn't that always the case? You could buy a Battlegroup Starter Box for like $50 but that's nowhere near what a full sized game is like, and getting up to that level is gonna cost a lot more than $50.

In the first article they said the $200 Starter Box is ~50 points, the $150 (?) Expansion Box is ~75 points, then a jack or two should bump you up to 100 points. Probably a little bit more expensive than what it cost to get to a 50 point game a decade ago in Mk 2, but now you're only making a few expensive purchases instead of a bunch of cheaper purchases.

Minis game has always been a hobby with a high buy-in, unless you're loooking at the really small skirmish games with <= a dozen models. Now they're just no longer pretending that isn't the case. One of Mk4's stated goals is trying to simplify their SKUs to make the game easier for stores to stock then that's going to mean fewer but more expensive boxes :shrug: And as far as enticing returning players, they know the cost of the game unlike a newbie who might be duped into thinking "$50 is enough to really play". Hopefully if they've been out of the scene for 5, 7, 10 years [like myself] they're financially better off than when they last played and aren't quite as turned off from the more expensive boxes.

I feel like WarmaHordes pitch was partially, "It's also a good bit cheaper than Warhammer!" and this is throwing that away a little bit, but I think PP has probably taken note of how frequently GW releases like 6 different $200+ battle boxes and think the scene has deeper pockets. Although I think those might usually be 2 player boxes now that I think about it :thunk:

E: Basically, when I got back into wargaming after a multi year hiatus, I went with 40K explicitly because GW model range is almost entirely plastic and therefore a million times easier to put together, even though I felt like Warmachine was the better game (although I never played Mk 3). So I'm wildly out of touch with the rules but I dunno, everything I'm seeing so far definitely has me interested in a box.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 3, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also they probably reckon they can get away with a higher cost if an army is going to be this limited set of models and that's mostly all you should need instead of having to keep forking out for new releases.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a good point, yea. You buy your army and you're set. If you're really that into the game then you get a second army. Then after that you're just splashing in Cadres, which presumably will be much cheaper purchases.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

If you're talking about the 3 model gencon preview things, they're 75 usd

And yeah same God drat

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

If you're talking about the 3 model gencon preview things, they're 75 usd

And yeah same God drat

My recollection was the Mk.3 starters were $40MSRP at launch. Barely under double the cost from 2016 does suck, especially since they’re moving to 3D printing and we all know how inexpensive that is once you have the STLs, vs. making molds. But if I can roll out a full army for $75 + $75 expansion set, that’s a whole rear end army for about what a GW starter goes for these days.

I’m going to go in for one. Maybe the local scene will be revitalized once it hits.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

koreban posted:

Barely under double the cost from 2016 does suck, especially since they’re moving to 3D printing and we all know how inexpensive that is once you have the STLs, vs. making molds.

3D printing a mini yourself seems cheap from a materials perspective but for commercial production that's a lot of machine time and the labor of doing post-processing. Even if they were likely getting hard metal molds machined the old starter restic figures would have been comparatively dirt cheap to produce in scale.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want to pick up the Orgoth box, Ive softened on their look having seen them outside the NMM scheme, but Im considering whether I should pick up a second box for tutorial games. Ive never liked the look of Cygnar and Khador has always been one of my favorites. Ill have to think on it a bit more.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

darnon posted:

3D printing a mini yourself seems cheap from a materials perspective but for commercial production that's a lot of machine time and the labor of doing post-processing. Even if they were likely getting hard metal molds machined the old starter restic figures would have been comparatively dirt cheap to produce in scale.

I hadn't considered the labor aspect.. that make sense. I think if you're doing commercial production, you've either invested in commercial grade printers, or contracted for printing, which I could understand being a limiting factor for first run production as well.

This will make for an interesting thing to watch for, because if this kicks off with some measure of popularity, it'll be a good test case for how they might be able to supply customers going forward. Since they've already burned the bridge with local retailers...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Sab669 posted:

That's a good point, yea. You buy your army and you're set. If you're really that into the game then you get a second army. Then after that you're just splashing in Cadres, which presumably will be much cheaper purchases.

I feel like that's kind of how the game had evolved already with the CID process more or less producing a new army in one go - it was a huge pain in the rear end if you already had lists you were hoping for updates for, but most of the people still playing late mk3 around here would just pick up a whole CID release in one go.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who has bounced off every edition after a handful of games, I'm very much looking forward to Mk4!

Convergence doesn't get to play until Q4 of this year though, right?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
A former Press Ganger in my area has kept a small meta going, and we've got a group order for the faction boxes in. We'll at least have enough of a group to give MkIV a full shakedown.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Reports are trickling in, but the Gencon 'preview' models have the same visible layer lines and uncured resin that PP was claiming were from pre-production test models sent to playtesters. Not a great sign.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hopefully we'll get some good photos from GenCon-goers this weekend :thunk:

It's hard to believe they'd go down this route if the quality is less than perfect, but I'm definitely curious to see for myself

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

what no I don't have impulse control problems why do you ask?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

zerofiend posted:

Reports are trickling in, but the Gencon 'preview' models have the same visible layer lines and uncured resin that PP was claiming were from pre-production test models sent to playtesters. Not a great sign.

Are they printing these on demand or did they literally forget to sand down the master sculpt?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They're printed on demand. No gods, no masters.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

They're printed on demand. No gods, no masters.

PP posted:

Our goal is to accommodate all online orders made between August 4th and August 10th as quickly as possible. While we’re already producing stock so we’re ready to start shipping immediately, depending on the volume of orders, delivery time could take longer than normal.

Going forward they'll be able to do some print-on-demand stuff:

PP posted:

For those looking to tailor their armies more granularly, Privateer will offer a la carte purchases of models in generic packaging through the Privateer Press Online Store 60–90 days after a product releases to retail.

But... obviously that's a ways away. How would they be doing POD for pre-prod playtesting :confused:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe I'm interpreting print on demand too broadly. There's no master sculpt (outside of a computer), they're all 3D printed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Print On Demand means, "Someone put some Cygnar Stormnouns in their Cart and Ordered it. We don't have any on stock, so print those up and shove 'em in a box ASAP"

As opposed to, "We printed a fuckload of those 5 months ago in and still have some on the shelf"

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Quality's looking pretty good. Reporter on the scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mAL7Gr816A

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was literally just about to post that video! Agreed sculpts look fine.

e; although I just got to the Jack:

Wonder what that will look with primer over it...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 5, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You won't see it at all in my experience.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

You won't see it at all in my experience.

And if you're worried, 3 seconds with a file eliminates them. It's no worse than shaving a mold line.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Counterpoint - lines are plainly visible, pieces not cured long enough, pieces having uncured resin still on them which is incredibly toxic. this is sub-etsy quality.

https://imgur.com/a/yZUIj6g

zerofiend fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 5, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone else ordered direct from PP before? Do they really not send out confirmation emails or should I be concerned?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

smug jeebus posted:

Has anyone else ordered direct from PP before? Do they really not send out confirmation emails or should I be concerned?

I have ordered direct more times than I care to admit but I've always gotten a confirmation email.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

smug jeebus posted:

I’ve ordered from them a dozen or more times over the last 7 or 8 years. I’ve gotten confirmation emails every time, including for the Khador mk.4 starter I ordered yesterday.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

zerofiend posted:

Counterpoint - lines are plainly visible, pieces not cured long enough, pieces having uncured resin still on them which is incredibly toxic. this is sub-etsy quality.

https://imgur.com/a/yZUIj6g

Do you have a link to the OP with the rest of the images? This is astounding.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

rantmo posted:

I have ordered direct more times than I care to admit but I've always gotten a confirmation email.

Oh duh, it was in my spam folder but thanks!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit: ^^ That'll do it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

moths posted:

Do you have a link to the OP with the rest of the images? This is astounding.

I don't have a folder but here's a jack painted.

People are also claiming to have been burned by uncured resin, but I haven't seen any pics of that so take it with as big a grain of salt as you like.