Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"college rock"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Framboise posted:

How does one even define alternative aside from "not mainstream"? I've always been a huge fan of the genre but never really knew how to explain how it differentiates.

Like indie, it's a genre term that largely doesn't make sense after it gets popular; however, I think it can still be loosely defined as "music that uses a lot of the same elements as an existing genre, but also deviates from the standards of that genre".

So for example, I would call Fiona Apple "Alternative Pop" -- although that doesn't really make sense so I'd just stick with "Alternative" -- because she's a singer/composer who isn't part of a band, which in most cases would describe a Pop or Folk artist, but her music really doesn't sound like either of those. You might say "Singer/Songwriter" but that has other implications as well, which don't really fit her.

And then take your pick of '90s "Alternative Rock" bands -- they had all the same elements as "Rock music" but with more focus on songwriting and production and generally just doing very different things with that setup, and less "rocking out".

And I have always preferred the term "Alternative Metal" to "Nü-metal" (all judgement aside for now) because really that's what it was. It undeniably had a lot of the same sounds and trappings as Metal, but used them in a totally different way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've always liked the definition of alternative as basically garage bands that made it big, then sucked a big fat rear end after an album or two.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always liked the definition of alternative as basically garage bands that made it big, then sucked a big fat rear end after an album or two.

https://youtu.be/fV4DiAyExN0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Back before the Onion was owned by Gawker, the AV Club had a really good longform series on the rise and fall of alternative music. The series is itself a dozen years old by now, so it's itself as dated as alternative was when the column was written, but it's still an excellent read:

https://longform.org/posts/whatever-happened-to-alternative-nation

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I always figured what happened was they shot the video with the young hot people because no one wanted to see old guys singing their hot dance track, something that was pretty common at the time, a lot of the women in dance videos were not the ones singing the songs. One of the women from the Weather Girls sung on a ton of dance hits in the 90s but was always replaced in the videos with someone young and thin.
The video for Blues Travelers' Run-Around has a young and beautiful group on stage and then the real band playing in the shadows. It's loving weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That one's an explicit Wizard of Oz "behind the curtain" thing though.

As for singers getting replaced by models: yeah, 90s eurodance was easily the worst offender.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Back before the Onion was owned by Gawker, the AV Club had a really good longform series on the rise and fall of alternative music. The series is itself a dozen years old by now, so it's itself as dated as alternative was when the column was written, but it's still an excellent read:

https://longform.org/posts/whatever-happened-to-alternative-nation

Pro click. I used to look forward to this column every other week more than anything else. The AV Club used to be so good, dammit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

deoju posted:

The video for Blues Travelers' Run-Around has a young and beautiful group on stage and then the real band playing in the shadows. It's loving weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

yeah like Trabant says, that video is making fun of both the tendency for music videos to do that kind of thing in the 90s and also the Counting Crows because the frontman of the fake band looks like Adam Duritz

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Adam Duritz managed to score both Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox in their respective primes so I'm pretty sure "looks like Adam Duritz" isn't the joke John Popper thought it was.

Amusingly I had a friend in college who looked like Popper in that he was big and overweight and was a hell of a harmonica player who cultivated the similarities, down to a fishing vest with sewn-in pockets for his harps and a hat with a band made out of Hohner Special 20 faceplates. We were at a BT concert watching the opening act and one person came up to him and was in the middle of asking for an autograph when he realized it wasn't him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That’s a big ol’ tower.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Gonz posted:

That’s a big ol’ tower.

Drive bays for days...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

Drive bays for days...

Need room for the CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, and DVD-RW.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phanatic posted:

Adam Duritz managed to score both Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox in their respective primes so I'm pretty sure "looks like Adam Duritz" isn't the joke John Popper thought it was.

Amusingly I had a friend in college who looked like Popper in that he was big and overweight and was a hell of a harmonica player who cultivated the similarities, down to a fishing vest with sewn-in pockets for his harps and a hat with a band made out of Hohner Special 20 faceplates. We were at a BT concert watching the opening act and one person came up to him and was in the middle of asking for an autograph when he realized it wasn't him.

Blues Traveler once stayed at a hotel I worked at a few years ago. There was about $1,200 in damage to Poppers room. Not from excessive partying or anything, dude tore up the carpet dragging a chair over to the window so he could sit in front of the ac unit while he ate a bucket of wings. He destroyed the curtains by using them as napkins and when he finished a wing he would hurl the bone as hard he could against the wall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blues Traveler once stayed at a hotel I worked at a few years ago. There was about $1,200 in damage to Poppers room. Not from excessive partying or anything, dude tore up the carpet dragging a chair over to the window so he could sit in front of the ac unit while he ate a bucket of wings. He destroyed the curtains by using them as napkins and when he finished a wing he would hurl the bone as hard he could against the wall.

https://youtu.be/w1jv7NKUlj8

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Fortunately it appears there's a slot left for the DVD+RW as well.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cartoon Man posted:

It's the 90's, you need a Zip drive and a Jazz drive.

click, click, click, click, click...

And an external SyQuest drive.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lol, fuckin A
I can picture it perfectly for some reason

I wonder if he was able to hurl the bones hard enough to feel something again

Probably not, I heard he was a serious douche. Good music though

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"Why... why you... wanna give me... a RUN AROUND" through gritted teeth as i hurl chicken missiles at the imagined faces of my enemies.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It doesn’t matter what I payyyyyy-eeyayay.

As long as I can eat with cUUr-eyahah-tains.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

namlosh posted:

I wonder if he was able to hurl the bones hard enough to feel something again

what would such a scenario even entail?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cartoon Man posted:

Or the CD-RW, CD-RW, CD-RW, CD-RW and CD-RW. In case you're in the business.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn't he also destroy the bathroom too? I remembered this story vividly.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remember more recently he doxxed some guy on Twitter.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Gonz posted:

That’s a big ol’ tower.

For every like we make this case one bay taller

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Sometimes these pop into my head from some dusty corner of nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihoNRc8GDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg-HZd4Lb2Q

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuRWLgWMjo

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't believe that show is still going in the age of youtube.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm not sure which version of this it was, but someone on Youtube commented "Every Ska song sounds like someone trying to cover the AFV theme".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Someone made that comment in another thread and that's how we ended up with that post.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ultrafilter posted:

Someone made that comment in another thread and that's how we ended up with that post.

That might've been me, actually. I was spreading that around the past couple days after I heard it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neito posted:

I'm not sure which version of this it was, but someone on Youtube commented "Every Ska song sounds like someone trying to cover the AFV theme".
You should hear the Australian version of the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UT8WMvvxzI
:v:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I can't believe that show is still going in the age of youtube.

My mom watches it and it's basically a best of youtube weekly clip show. Which considering some youtubers make bank at doing, I guess it works? Probably just some intern watching Jimmyherelive every week and putting up the best stuff.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Imagine if the "computer station" design took a slightly different turn and instead of this:

Gonz posted:

*loud CRACK sound at 3 AM*

we got the Tower of Power aesthetic:

I think it's effectively a proto-standing desk? Found it while browsing a 1985 HiFi/furniture catalog, as one does.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As someone whose parents had one, those are not standing desks unless you're very short. They're variations on the Kneebanger 5000 line of computer desks, with a combination of minimal leg space and shelves/printer trays strategically placed to inflict maximum damage.

Note also the boomer-esque glass/wooden shutters to hide away your unsightly computer paraphernalia when guests comes over.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, gotcha. Sounds like the worst possible combination except this:

Porfiriato posted:

hide away your unsightly computer paraphernalia when guests comes over.

I mean... If that could be done with any elegance whatsoever, it wouldn't be the worst thing even today.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I can understand the wheels on the one on the bottom, but why would you want a rotating base like the top one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

because german

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ45Ys0ryxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Pro click. I used to look forward to this column every other week more than anything else. The AV Club used to be so good, dammit.

"I can no longer read these pieces,
nor comment anywhere on the AV Club. In case you haven't heard, Something Awful has declared that the AV Club is "dull" & "pedantic" (singling out this whole "boring" series), & that all of us commenters are "crass, insulting, and overall dumb as goddamn rocks". My delicate sensibilities cannot withstand such withering criticism. If you need me, I'll be curled up whimpering in the corner"

(This comment was in the last article in the above series. Snake eats its tail etc.)

Edit: added quote marks

Seldom Posts has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Aug 7, 2022