Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey c'mon he was a beater in the age of Lure and Regenerate!

It's absolutely wild just how much of early magic design was built around two players just casting a crap ton of pearled unicorns and slamming them into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Players definitely needed to be told you don't keep the card after the game ends.

tbf this line of text probably saved a ton of kids from losing their cool creatures to some chancer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope Norritt shows up in Dominaria United

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Devor posted:

I love the OG playtesting story where Timewalk was instead templated as "Opponent loses next turn" and some playtesters thought that it meant "Opponent loses the game on their next turn"

This is an oft-repeated mistake. It wasn't Time Walk (Time Walk was printed correctly, but at the time also made you sacrifice an Island). It was the red counterpart to Time Walk, Starburst.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Qwertycoatl posted:

tbf this line of text probably saved a ton of kids from losing their cool creatures to some chancer

I meant it without a hint of irony!

I started around Revised, pre-internet, we didn't know anything. We were pulling three swamps out of our deck when we played Dark Ritual, Counterspelling creatures that were already in play for multiple turns, leaving dozens of +1/+0 counters on Wall of Fire because the card didn't say the pump expired at end of turn, attacking with Carnivorous Plant because nobody noticed it was a Wall, all sorts of nonsense.

I remember when they first started putting "(Walls can't attack)" on cards - this was way before they invented Defender - some people were mad because it was soooooo obvious that walls couldn't attack and it was Dumbing Down the Game by putting it there. Some things never change lol.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this card is giving me a real winters chill

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

I meant it without a hint of irony!

I started around Revised, pre-internet, we didn't know anything. We were pulling three swamps out of our deck when we played Dark Ritual, Counterspelling creatures that were already in play for multiple turns, leaving dozens of +1/+0 counters on Wall of Fire because the card didn't say the pump expired at end of turn, attacking with Carnivorous Plant because nobody noticed it was a Wall, all sorts of nonsense.

I remember when they first started putting "(Walls can't attack)" on cards - this was way before they invented Defender - some people were mad because it was soooooo obvious that walls couldn't attack and it was Dumbing Down the Game by putting it there. Some things never change lol.

My first starter had Force of Nature in it. I spent a ton of time doing everything I could to get more forests because I was sure you had to sacrifice 4 a turn to feed him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope Norritt shows up in Dominaria United

I'd be Wary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We used to draw back up to 7 cards when our hands were empty.

No idea where that idea came from.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was just putting some decks together and I noticed something so going back to this

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Using that as the road map wouldn't netball be the rotation set since it's the fall set?

Standard has always had a drought period, doing a fall set and a winter set at the end of the year just moves that drought to the summer when purchasing is lower than when it used to be during the holiday season when spending is up.

It'll need another year or two of testing to say whether summer spending is down because Core sets were never exciting or because people are spending their money elsewhere.

I saw that Stitcher's Supplier, a Vintage staple, is from M19. Then I looked at M20 and that Core set was insanely packed full of good poo poo. The last bunch of Core sets weren't unexciting at all and they both created new archetypes while backfilling Standard staples at the same time and I'm still sad to see them go.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
actual "weird wording because commander" cards

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

actual "weird wording because commander" cards

Why does it say if you chose a creature when your required to at the start?

Is it in case something makes it not a creature at resolution I guess?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

If between casting and resolution you lose all your creatures, then you won’t choose a creature and the second part won’t resolve, yep!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve never ruined this before but I also started in Revised and my friends and I absolutely thought that pumps from things like Holy Armor were permanent. This led in one game to something like a 2/46 Land Leeches.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You don't choose a creature until resolution, but the card only does something if you have a creature to choose.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I used to use Mystical Tutor to find lands because they're mana sources

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

We used to draw back up to 7 cards when our hands were empty.

No idea where that idea came from.

I knew a kid with a deck with 4 fireballs and basic lands who often demanded this rule.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

resistentialism posted:

I knew a kid with a deck with 4 fireballs and basic lands who often demanded this rule.

We had draw-to-7 plus unlimited land drops. I think we just abhorred ever not having a play on a turn.

It was... not balanced.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You don't choose a creature until resolution, but the card only does something if you have a creature to choose.

oh you're right, my head read it as target and not choose duh

But then the if is unnecessary entirely, isn't it? If you don't have a creature you can't choose one of your cards anyway and once the spell resolves and you've chosen your creature nobody gets priority before the effect happens, or do they?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

But then the if is unnecessary entirely, isn't it? If you don't have a creature you can't choose one of your cards anyway and once the spell resolves and you've chosen your creature nobody gets priority before the effect happens, or do they?

you can cast it even if you don't have a creature. true it does nothing in that case but that is a valid line of play

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

If the "if" wasn't there it'd be a straight wrath if you cast it when you had no creatures out. The "if" also means that the answer to the question "how do your opponents choose a creature with less than or equal power to a creature you didn't choose?" is "who cares"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Edit: Oh I'm an idiot, above poster is totally right lol

I was thinking the if was dependent on you being able to choose a creature

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Another fun rabbit hole to go down is the what if of sets that were never released

For example, Spectral Chaos was in production even before Alpha was released, and had been planned to come out after Legends. Afraid that players would not want another multi-color themed set back to back, it ended up shelved, and while elements were incorporated into later sets, it was never released.

A fan reconstruction is available here: https://thechaosorb.com/SpectralChaos/

There are some banging cards and concepts that would have been wild in 1995

The reconstructors did a great job transforming the playtest wording into more modern styles, and it's interesting to see some concepts that later evolved

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I was taught you play magic with your whole deck in your hand to start, everything is free, and the mama cost was what you paid to bring it back from the grave yard to your hand.

Keldon Warlord was OP

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Another fun rabbit hole to go down is the what if of sets that were never released

For example, Spectral Chaos was in production even before Alpha was released, and had been planned to come out after Legends. Afraid that players would not want another multi-color themed set back to back, it ended up shelved, and while elements were incorporated into later sets, it was never released.

These are dope, and thats a wild loving card.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The reconstructors did a great job transforming the playtest wording into more modern styles, and it's interesting to see some concepts that later evolved

Oh man I wanna play that set.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

its a loving crime this was shelved while homelands was allowed to be released

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I ran into a dude at summer camp that insisted that you could sacrifice your opponents creatures. He played Phyrexian Dreadnaught.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any way we can get a Spectral Chaos draft going on some online client? Or maybe print-on-demand stuff?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

evilweasel posted:

its a loving crime this was shelved while homelands was allowed to be released

spectral chaos eventually turned into invasion!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I wonder if that's what inspired this thing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol at Colorblindness.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is cool as hell, thanks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I could see the arguments this would cause about if Untamed Wilds is playing a land.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

And for the curious, I was incorrect about Time Vault, likely misremembering an old Inquest or Scrye article. It was this, never out of playtest, card:

The other playtest cards are pretty sick themselves: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/955-rarities-alpha-beta-gamma-playtest-cards-english-cards-index.html

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
when I was a child me and my brother's poo poo rear end rainbow piles caused us to institute a house rule where you could call "special time" once per game which let all players tutor for any basic land

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Imagining a world where every color had a Dark Ritual is wild. Same about those pseudo-legendary duals that could still be fetched; those might even be printable today. They're great for Commander as ABU Dual #2, but in Vintage and Legacy they're really ABU #5 and it's somewhat risky to play more than one depending on how many fetches you're running.

Those free rituals are too good, there's no way a 0 cost spell that gives 6+ mana would still be legal in anything.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

Imagining a world where every color had a Dark Ritual is wild. Same about those pseudo-legendary duals that could still be fetched; those might even be printable today. They're great for Commander as ABU Dual #2, but in Vintage and Legacy they're really ABU #5 and it's somewhat risky to play more than one depending on how many fetches you're running.

Those free rituals are too good, there's no way a 0 cost spell that gives 6+ mana would still be legal in anything.

Every color gets to make triple black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Is that green bordered or is it the scan that makes it look that way?