Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
e: I’ll just stop. I like the games as they have been, indigi will always be mad, Game Freak will continue to operate as they always have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So um...how bout' those open areas? The map looks quite nice and if they've built off of the Legends Arceus engine I'm hoping for a genuinely beautiful game.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Metapod posted:

So what's this about me not being able to change clothes where was this said

You can still change clothes, but there's only 4 styles of uniform to choose from. Shirt with shorts, shirt with pants, puffy vest with shorts and zip-up suit jacket with pants.

In exchange there's going to be more facial customization. There's also going to be an unknown number of accessories to buy.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 4, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Metapod posted:

So what's this about me not being able to change clothes where was this said

From the official site (https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/appearance/):

quote:

Use all sorts of items to make your uniform fit you
Ranging from short sleeves and shorts to warm blazers, the academy has four different kinds of uniforms in total. Additionally, you can collect a wide variety of accessories from boutiques. Wear your favorite items and try out different styles along the way on your adventure!

So you can customize your outfit - but it's always going to be a school uniform, if accesorized. That said, you can also customize your character's face far more than in previous games:

quote:

Arrange your looks and hairstyle to freely change your appearance

In Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, you can now make changes to your character’s eye shape, mouth shape, and more to look the way you want to look. You can, of course, change your hairstyle, hair color, and eyebrows at salons, too, so look your best when on your Treasure Hunt!

So maybe it'll balance itself out? Kind of lame regardless.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

I would enjoy a hard mode but I won't be mad if it's not there

I wouldn't enjoy it, and I'll be mad if it's not there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

From the official site (https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/appearance/):

So you can customize your outfit - but it's always going to be a school uniform, if accesorized. That said, you can also customize your character's face far more than in previous games:

unfortunately i have to report that sv is going to be bad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I wouldn't enjoy it, and I'll be mad if it's not there

I want every pokemon battle to be a sweaty smogon battle lncluding petulant insults and rage quits op.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly the most hilarious thing about the uniform thing is, in Spain we're super casual with clothes. Like uniforms are associated with private schools, specially elementary school. So from my perspective the protagonists look even younger than usual.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hard mode is battling competitively, always has been

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh okay a little weird we aren't getting arceus like clothes but whatever

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's at least marginally neat that we should be able to identify a random online person's game version by their clothes. Congrats Gamefreak :gamefreak:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I want every pokemon battle to be a sweaty smogon battle lncluding petulant insults and rage quits op.

Having gotten a little taste of this scene all I can say is please God no. Stall teams man...just stall teams.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

All the player clothes budget went into discovering the technology for sparkly materials for the teracrystalwhatever.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Having gotten a little taste of this scene all I can say is please God no. Stall teams man...just stall teams.

The dark souls of children's videogames.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shiroc posted:

e: I’ll just stop. I like the games as they have been, indigi will always be mad

I’m proud of you king

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tbh I would think the terastal stuff was really cool if not for the weird headgear. I love the sparkles

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
'touch grass and die', or TGAD, is a banned phrase in pokemon elementary

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I am so worried that they're gonna gently caress up the special tera-crystal balls to be something like 1x throwable crystal ball per 24hr day so you have to save it for the shiny legendary you're hunting or w/e or else you'll never get the crystal macchiato suicune

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Here's the clothing options from the presents/trailer. No real good front shot of Scarlet's puffy vest, unfortunately.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shiroc posted:

I pulled up the Mass Effect charts they released for the Legendary Edition:

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/1457498149841424393

The overwhelming majority picked Normal or the even easier options, on a series that tons of people would have known inside and out from the original releases. It is a different style of game but its still a data point. Its also a game where its easier to change difficulty since the enemies aren't bound to the same rules as you (every enemy Pokemon has to be something you could have yourself, other than the new boss encounters they're making) and you can just add a zero to an enemies' HP and damage as the most basic difficulty increase.

I'm not arguing about character customization, text boxes, or any of that stuff so you don't have to try to flood the zone with it.

Your argument is they shouldn't try because only a small percentage uses it and your evidence is a game that included it even though a lot of people opted out of it. I'm not sure that really makes sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shiroc posted:

e: I’ll just stop. I like the games as they have been, indigi will always be mad, Game Freak will continue to operate as they always have

Like this is incredibly stupid thinking that's pathetically subservient. "I am the smart calm one because I am so grateful for the games as they are, you should never hope they get better or do more with aspects of the game's I don't care about"

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Looper posted:

hard mode is battling competitively, always has been

This is my main concern. I really hope the Terastalize mechanic has reasonable restrictions (each Pokémon species only has a limited number of types they can transform into), otherwise it'll be really stupid.

Kinda seems like it's going to be ok. Still worried.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like this is incredibly stupid thinking that's pathetically subservient. "I am the smart calm one because I am so grateful for the games as they are, you should never hope they get better or do more with aspects of the game's I don't care about"

I don't think I have any obligation to Game Freak or that they have any to me. They make a game, offer it up for purchase and I can decide to buy it or not. They're not a government.

I made the statement because I don't think the argument was ever going to go anywhere and was just making GBS threads up the thread. The things that people throw out for how they want the games would make them much, much less fun to me. It isn't a binary Make Better or Not. That's why I said I like them as they have been.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
😂

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This is my main concern. I really hope the Terastalize mechanic has reasonable restrictions (each Pokémon species only has a limited number of types they can transform into), otherwise it'll be really stupid.

Kinda seems like it's going to be ok. Still worried.

Tbh I think the thing most likely to make it broken is doubling up STAB with a boosting item, rather than the type changing. Just giving any mon Adaptability whenever you want seems way worse for a stable competitive scene than changing weaknesses around. Like the type stuff is way more interesting to think about but I doubt it'll compare to just letting your Moxie Gyarados annihilate the one defensive check your opponent has with a 2x boosted Waterfall after one DD. Losing sleep thinking about what Scarf Kartana does with this.

Maybe the numbers will be such that it's not a big issue, like maybe its only a 1.3x boost like the -ite abilities and you lose STAB on you're secondary type so it's riskier.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just put the PLA linking cord item in every game forever

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Here's the clothing options from the presents/trailer. No real good front shot of Scarlet's puffy vest, unfortunately.

If the they made all the hairstyles intersex that'd be pretty dang sweet. Also while none of these outfits is particularly amazing the overalls aren't awful. Hope they have betters hats available tho.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sleeping Sigma posted:

When are all game companies gonna learn that fashion is the most important aspect of a video game

edit: This post reads as sarcastic. I am not being sarcastic.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you want a challenging but fun experience look into heart gold. the level curve in that game encourages clever play rather than steamrolling with overleveled monsters like the recent entries

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Sleeping Sigma posted:

So these are the ONLY options, right? So if you get Scarlet, you have to have bright orange pants? :chloe:
The color combos on both of the fourth ones are awful too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flopsy posted:

So um...how bout' those open areas? The map looks quite nice and if they've built off of the Legends Arceus engine I'm hoping for a genuinely beautiful game.

I’m personally ready to race around the Not!Spanish wilderness with my Tron Dragon Bike.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Flopsy posted:

Arceus was decidedly not beautiful, except for maybe parts of the first area. This game is not looking beautiful either, but hopefully it's a bit less plain than other recent entries.

Edit: Didn't mean to swoop in with two negative posts; I am excited for the game. But the aesthetics could use some work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

As we all know Madrid is a crater filled with a vortex to hell.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Funky Valentine posted:

As we all know Madrid is a crater filled with a vortex to hell.

Galicia is flooded, someone chucked Sierra Nevada into Cantabria, and worst of all, our protagonists are from Gibraltar.

I'm actually believing PokeSpain got hit by the ultimate weapon thinking about it.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Wile E. Toyota posted:

So these are the ONLY options, right? So if you get Scarlet, you have to have bright orange pants? :chloe:
The color combos on both of the fourth ones are awful too.

Official site sure seems to imply that this is the case. Four uniforms and whatever accessories you can buy from shops.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 4, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Gamefreak I'm begging you to hire someone who knows what cool clothes are and let them design some for you. Dressing like a huge nerd should be an option, but it shouldn't be the ONLY option.

Changing outfits is one of the forms of customization people love most, why would you intentionally limit this?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flopsy posted:

my fear is that they're going to be empty with nothing to really see or do (other than the wild pokemon). once the novelty of the wild area wore off, what you were left with was just the wandering pokemon and the raid dens.

pokemon feels like the only jrpg that doesn't have sidequests or minigames or really any places worth exploring.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
those kids are more fashionable than 99% of this thread

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

The 6 Magikarps guy takes GameFreak's entire day dedicated to carefully fine tuning NPC teams.

This. Building teams for NPCs is incredibly difficult. Expecting more is illegal and theorycrafting is especially illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Borsche69 posted:

my fear is that they're going to be empty with nothing to really see or do (other than the wild pokemon). once the novelty of the wild area wore off, what you were left with was just the wandering pokemon and the raid dens.

pokemon feels like the only jrpg that doesn't have sidequests or minigames or really any places worth exploring.

Some of the older games had cool side areas but since gen V there hasn't really been anything other than the main path