Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Neeksy posted:

That is from the one where Roger's rich guy personality gets married to the waitress who then poisons his rear end cake in connection with another of roger's personas who then gets killed by said waitress

Max Jets, to clarify.

edit: gently caress, what a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
S17E11 "Game Night" came on in a shuffle last night and continues to be one of my favorite episodes. "A Nissan Frontier? Man this place has gotten worse than I thought."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

You've grunkled your last bean!

Nice, babe, you've been wanting to say that for years.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I wish I had more access to more recent episodes. I'm pretty sure the most recent episode I've seen is Demolition Daddy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Savor the upcoming episodes as it’s extremely unlikely Seasons 20 and 21 will see the light of day barring heroic intervention by Disney.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wish I had more access to more recent episodes. I'm pretty sure the most recent episode I've seen is Demolition Daddy.

iTunes is my rock for this stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bull3964 posted:

Savor the upcoming episodes as it’s extremely unlikely Seasons 20 and 21 will see the light of day barring heroic intervention by Disney.

I was wondering if Fox would take it back, or maybe [adult swim] will take it on. The seasons have already been ordered, and presumably will be in some semblance of production.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Them being in production is probably what will do them in.

Due to the ownership changes, Warner Bros. Discovery can shelve and write off anything in production at the time of transition. But that means that stuff can never be distributed.

They already did it to a $90 million and $40 million movie and more things will likely follow.

[adult swim] is looking just as dead as HBO Max.

Zaslav is a plague made manifest in CEO form.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
AD is still made by 20th Television Animation, which is Disney. TBS only distributes, so there’s still lots of outs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The_Doctor posted:

AD is still made by 20th Television Animation, which is Disney. TBS only distributes, so there’s still lots of outs.

Hopefully. We'll see.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah goddamn I'd forgotten about the chicken fetus omelet

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It feels like we never just sit around & shoot the poo poo about American Dad. It's mostly about American Dad news and posting about episodes right after they happen. We never just discuss.

...granted, I have nothing in particular to say about the show right now, I'm just saying.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fine, I'll start.

How many Nebuchadnezzars do you think you could drink in a day? I could probably do one, maybe 2 if I start early but even then I doubt it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

limp_cheese posted:

Fine, I'll start.

How many Nebuchadnezzars do you think you could drink in a day? I could probably do one, maybe 2 if I start early but even then I doubt it.

I'm diabetic so I'd probably die horribly, not to mention Wine tastes like crap to me so I don't really see a reason to attempt it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

limp_cheese posted:

Fine, I'll start.

In my wild past I could probably do one, and then I would projectile vomit all over a wall from like six feet away.

Present day I wouldn't drink any, I'll just have a few of Jeff's edibles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While we're waiting we could always rank episodes by season and then take the top episode per season and rank those.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Can’t talk about AD right now. I’m in the throes of egg madness.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

Fine, I'll start.

Wait, what?

muscles like this! posted:

While we're waiting we could always rank episodes by season and then take the top episode per season and rank those.

That would be fun, even if I don't know enough about the most recent couple of seasons to rank episodes for those.

Anyone who says that A Smith in the Hand isn't the best season 1 episode is objectively incorrect.

Problematic Soup posted:

Shell Game is the best season 13 episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Blood Crieth Unto Heaven" is the best of season 8.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Problematic Soup posted:

*Professor voice* well that's no excuse for egg rudeness!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Blood Crieth Unto Heaven" is the best of season 8.

I'm torn between this and American Stepdad, although I'm inclined to pick Blood Crieth Unto Heaven as my #1 too, if only because the Fast & Furious B-plot of American Stepdad kind of just fizzles out. The episode ending with Betty watching the unedited France version ties the A- and B-plots together, but it still feels more like an A-plot ending because the kids aren't involved.

Roger taking literal weeks to get his camera ready to take pictures of Betty in front of Niagara Falls is still hilarious though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Since the seasons are so weird I'll be going off what Hulu says they are since it seems to be mostly reasonable. So season 1 is:

S1E1 - Pilot

quote:

CIA agent Stan Smith helps his geeky son, Steve Smith, get the attention of a cheerleader by rigging the student council elections in his favor. Meanwhile, Roger (an extraterrestrial living with the Smiths) gets angry when Stan's wife, Francine, cuts off his junk food supply in fearing he might be getting fat and turns to helping Hayley (the community college-attending, socially liberal daughter of the family) finish her term papers in exchange for sweets.

S1E2 - Threat Levels

quote:

After a deadly virus scare, Francine wishes to do more with her life and becomes a realtor, making Stan feel insecure and unmanly. Meanwhile, Hayley uses one of the houses in her mother's portfolio to set up a homeless shelter, but fights over it with Steve who, initially, wanted to use the house to videotape teenage girls flashing their breasts and "going wild", but teams up with Stan to start a bum fight club.

S1E3 - Stan Knows Best

quote:

Hayley moves out of the house – and into her boyfriend's van – after having enough of Stan's harsh rules. Meanwhile, Steve claims that Roger is his horribly disfigured burn-victim sister in order to gain sympathy from and ask out a girl to the school dance (and to get her bra on a dare).

S1E4 - Francine's Flashback

quote:

After forgetting their anniversary, Stan arranges to have the last 20 hours of Francine's memory erased, but a bungling technician accidentally erases 20 years, making Francine think she's a wild and carefree teenager from 1985. Meanwhile, a popular girl will only date Steve if someone goes out with her ugly best friend, Jewel – who finds a mate in a reluctant Roger.

S1E5 - Roger Codger

quote:

When Roger slips into a coma after being excoriated by Stan, the Smiths think he is dead and dispose of his body. While the family copes with their "loss", with Francine becoming an atheist, and Steve disowning Stan, Roger awakens in a landfill and journeys home with an old, racist woman who thinks Roger is one of her elderly friends.

S1E6 - Homeland Insecurity

quote:

Stan learns his new neighbors are Iranian and immediately suspects that they are terrorists. Meanwhile, Roger tries to discover any hidden alien powers he may have while Steve is left at the mercy of the Scout Rangers, and Francine tries to reconnect with her neighbors.

S1E7 - Deacon Stan, Jesus Man

quote:

Stan, wanting to beat his rival at something, volunteers to become a replacement deacon against him after the previous deacon dies. Meanwhile, Roger is going through his reproductive cycle and, in the process, accidentally impregnates Steve.

S1E8 - Bullocks to Stan

quote:

Stan finds Deputy Director Bullock, his supervisor, starting a relationship with Hayley. However, he cannot risk saying or doing anything about it because he's up for a promotion at the CIA. He tries to make Jeff tougher so Hayley will take him back, but the plan backfires when Hayley dumps Bullock and takes Jeff back, leading Bullock to order Stan to kill Jeff in order to get his promotion. Meanwhile, Steve finds Dick Cheney's BlackBerry and uses the contact numbers to play pranks on political figures.

S1E9 - A Smith in the Hand

quote:

Upon finding out that Steve's school is giving a sex education class, Stan volunteers to teach a more wholesome and clean class himself. Stan has never masturbated prior to this and teaches Steve that it is wrong. However, after getting a groin injury and having to rub ointment on himself, he discovers masturbation and becomes addicted to it. Meanwhile, Roger turns the attic into a bar after Hayley accuses him of wasting his life by eating junk food and watching trashy reality TV shows.

S1E10 - All About Steve

quote:

Stan discovers and is ashamed of Steve's geekiness and disowns him, but the stress of this causes damage to Stan's body, causing him to physically revert into a nerd. When Steve breaks the code of a cyber-terrorist, the two must unite to save the world, and Stan comes to accept that nerds can do "macho" jobs such as antiterrorism. Meanwhile, Hayley helps Roger find a suitable way to interact with the outside world without getting exposed as an Alien.

S1E11 - Con Heir

quote:

After his father's death, Stan reveals to his family that the man they called Grandpa was not their grandfather. Meanwhile, Steve goes out with his pseudo-grandfather's elderly friend.

S1E12 - Stan of Arabia, Part 1

quote:

After doing a terrible job standing in for Jay Leno at Bullock's anniversary roast, Stan is reassigned to Saudi Arabia. While his family except Steve begins to go through hell, Stan discovers all of his greatest fantasies come true under the male-dominated society.

S1E13 - Stan of Arabia, Part 2

quote:

Stan has renounced his American citizenship to live in Saudi Arabia, though his family finds themselves in their own awkward situations that lead them to getting sentenced to death by stoning. Meanwhile, Roger is wooed by an Arab prince.

S1E14 - Stannie Get Your Gun

quote:

Stan and Hayley attempt to bond, but things are difficult due to Stan's obsession with guns and Hayley's stance against them. In the process, Hayley herself accidentally shoots Stan and paralyzes him. Meanwhile, Roger wants to get back at Steve for eating his cookie by convincing him he is adopted and later was kidnapped by Stan and Francine.

S1E15 - Star Trek

quote:

A drowned Steve tells the story of how he became famous for writing a story about Roger the alien, and how his parents exploited his talents to get what they want.

S1E16 - Not Particularly Desperate Housewife

quote:

Francine pretends to be having an extra-marital affair in order to join an exclusive women's club called The Ladybugs, where membership is dependent upon the member cheating on their husband. However, Francine's life is threatened when she asks to quit. Meanwhile, Stan and Roger fight over the attention of an adorable little dog, and Hayley locks Steve and Klaus in her closet for reading her diary.

S1E17 - Rough Trade

quote:

Stan and Roger experience life in each other's shoes after Stan is arrested for a DUI and is put on house arrest and Roger is made the man of the house, which leads to disaster.

S1E18 - Finances with Wolves

quote:

Stan gets a hefty bonus at work and uses all it on himself, while Francine uses a part of the bonus to open a muffin shop without Stan's approval. Now without a housewife at home, Klaus tricks Stan into putting Klaus's brain back into a human body in order to replace Francine around the house. Klaus (now with a human body) beats Stan up and ties him, before heading to Francine's muffin shop in an attempt to seduce her and make her leave Stan to start a new life with him. Meanwhile, Steve is convinced he's becoming a werewolf after watching a scary movie of it and being attacked by a wolf.

S1E19 - It's Good to be the Queen

quote:

Stan seeks revenge for being the focus of a prank during his high school years by showing off that he married Francine, who is the homecoming queen. However, when they find two uncounted votes for Francine's arch-rival, Betty Sue, and her title is revealed to be a mistake, Stan's pride gets the best of him and goes out with the real queen.

S1E20 - Roger 'n Me

quote:

When Stan goes to Atlantic City for a bachelor party and is shunned by his so called best friend Roger steps in and becomes Stan's new sidekick. Meanwhile, Hayley and Steve conspire to break up a good looking and happy couple so they can date the two.

S1E21 - Helping Hands

quote:

After being embarrassed by Hayley's student film about her life as a housewife, Francine decides to become a back-alley surgeon to gain the respect of her daughter. Meanwhile, Stan forces Steve to take steroids – and Steve instantly becomes popular for two reasons, while Roger goes insane trying to clean the Smith's house.

S1E22 - With Friends Like Steve's

quote:

After Steve shows a lack of interest in Stan's job, Stan replaces him with Barry, Steve's obese friend, who is in fact malicious (without his medication) and plots to replace Steve completely. Meanwhile, Roger does an impressive keg stand and becomes a fraternity brother.

S1E23 - Tears of a Clooney

quote:

Haunted by resentment towards George Clooney (who Francine blames for her failure to become an actress), Francine resolves to win his heart with the intention of breaking it. However, her plan is sabotaged by Stan, who becomes close friends with Clooney as part of his wife's scheme. Meanwhile, Roger builds a vineyard and starts up a private sweat shop using foster children and Hayley, the only one who can save the children, is incapacitated with an unnamed lung disease.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I can't decide if "Star Trek" or "Tears of a Clooney" is the best of season 1.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I have to give it to Clooney. That episode is magically deranged and a sign that even in the early seasons it had great ideas going in it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'd say Rough Trade or Finances with Wolves.

"Boil water? What am I, a chemist?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rough Trade has kind of a meh middle but an absolutely great ending. I'm having a difficult time deciding between Finances with Wolves or A Smith in the Hand.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Since the seasons are so weird I'll be going off what Hulu says they are since it seems to be mostly reasonable. So season 1 is:

Even just reading descriptions of this show is fun. :haw:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can't decide if "Star Trek" or "Tears of a Clooney" is the best of season 1.

If I only had Star Trek and Tears of a Clooney to pick from, I'd probably pick Tears of a Clooney, mostly because Steve is slightly more in-character in that one. Plus, the B-plot where Hayley is dying is pretty great.

My vote still goes to A Smith in the Hand though.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Tears of a Clooney is what really cemented Francine as a great character to me from early on. Honorable mention for Roger n' Me because I never fail to laugh at Stan thinking Roger's favorite movie is "White Chicks."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just watched the new music video by American Dad alumni The Weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLMo0rthnoo

That dude is weird as Hell and I love it. He really was a great fit for the show.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, I got some respect from him for his episode. At first I was like, "he's a good sport for agreeing to be in an episode that explains that his powers are from his virginity" and then i found out he was a writer on the episode because he's such a big fan, and now I got even more respect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I would genuinely love for him to come back. Either writing, acting or both, cos he absolutely got it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's one of the few cartoon covers of a song I listen to like a normal song. "Hmmm... 'Starboy' or 'I'm a Virgin'? Gotta go with Virgin."

I'm waiting... for the right PERSON

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Season 1 stuff:

First American Dad joke I was impressed by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ryly3_QhtI&t=187s

Top 5:
1) Finances With Wolves - Great ensemble episode, holds up to this day
2) Bullocks to Stan - First ep to really take advantage of Patrick Stewart's talents
3) All About Steve
4) Tears of a Clooney
5) Francine's Flashback - First great episode, beginnings of the Stan/Francine dynamic that became a bedrock of the series

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I forgot that Evil Barry was in the first season.

"Play the card!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5V3G97mSg&t=33s

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I always forget how weird everyone looked at first.

Vakal posted:

I forgot that Evil Barry was in the first season.

"Play the card!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5V3G97mSg&t=33s

Craig Ferguson is the absolute best. :allears:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

honestly forgot how strong season 1 was
francine is still the best

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

S1E23 - Tears of a Clooney

I recently started my rewatch from season 1 and I was shocked that Tears of a Clooney was such an early episode. I remembered it being a much later season one, but nope.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think back to when when the show was first airing, seeing the start of the golden turd saga is what made me realize this show had something going for it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Fine, I'll start.

Hah I’m calling bullshit on this. A Nebuchadnezzar is 15 liters. That’s 12,000 calories of wine. If the alcohol doesn’t kill you, diabetes will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

he said in one day, that means if you die from it it's ok