Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Malekith: My dominance is assured, all threats save for a bearded rat have been moved away! Hahah!

Valkia: HELLO

Malekith: NO

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Good, I was really expecting Malekith to be living it up on easy street but between Valkia and the Dwarf guy should actually have some challenges.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very happy for malekith to be having the worst time generally.

Wishing him a very happy eat poo poo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah, it'll just help encourage him to take his rightful throne

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hyedum posted:

Gorku iz da best.

Morku iz da best! :orks101:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there any way to make Giants good? What if they just gave them 40% missile resistance?

give giants a shield that is a literal barn door

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ohh, I called that one. It makes sense for her lore wise considering she spent a lot of the end times sacking naggaroth. It also puts her in direct competition with Sigvald, which will be a fun rivalry.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there any way to make Giants good? What if they just gave them 40% missile resistance?

Who knows if it's possible, but massive damage reduction versus any attack that does not have the anti-large feature.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Randarkman posted:

Who knows if it's possible, but massive damage reduction versus any attack that does not have the anti-large feature.

Armored and shielded giant variant that can missile block cannon shots.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Valkia looking at Malekith like:

(This is apparently a leaked image of Valkia from CA's website. I find it hilarious for some reason.)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I find it interesting that they never gave Oxyotl a major power rival in Antarctica.

I wonder if they put one of the chorf starts down there. If they do a vampire coast / tomb kings and make 4 lords, it'd make sense to put one down there for a way different geographic start.

Probably 2 lords in the homeland, one down against oxy, and one way southwest near Nakai.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Armored and shielded giant variant that can missile block cannon shots.

REFLECT cannon shots imo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Shielded giant carrying a large enough shield that it gives nearby allies a shield effect as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonkish posted:

(This is apparently a leaked image of Valkia from CA's website. I find it hilarious for some reason.)

Huh, I thought that was a dreadlord from warcraft 3

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Gonkish posted:

Those damned kids, get off my lawn!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Randarkman posted:

Its not a dress, its a standard dreadlord uniform.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Compared to giants, huge quadrupedal beasts are faster and better at charging through clumps of infantry.

More armor and missile resistance would mitigate their slow speed and high profile, except they are mostly naked, and their hides look less protective than those of a lot of big beasts.

Giants can use weapons and are slightly more intelligent, so would that translate to better MA and MD, more armor piercing, or anti-large? IIRC Ogre Slave Giants have more weapon strength than Stonehorns, but it’s not enough to outweigh their disadvantages.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
giants are good in sfo :shrug:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Massively lower the giant's weapon strength but give it a cleave passive that grants full damage to every model hit with its attacks so it can wipe out blobs of infantry better than any other SEM

Now it has a very good niche at taking out infantry blobs, but it will be bad at dueling and still be vulnerable to missile fire

I dont really know how weapon strength works in conjunction with entities that have big aoe swings on their attacks. Im assuming it spreads out the damage to every model hit, thats why almost all the models get back up when a couple dozen get knocked over. If im wrong in my assumption, then disregard my suggestion

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DeathSandwich posted:

I find it interesting that they never gave Oxyotl a major power rival in Antarctica.

I wonder if they put one of the chorf starts down there. If they do a vampire coast / tomb kings and make 4 lords, it'd make sense to put one down there for a way different geographic start.

Probably 2 lords in the homeland, one down against oxy, and one way southwest near Nakai.

Other notable holes within playable areas:
- all of the Darklands and parts of the Mountains of Mourn, for obvious reasons
- southern Cathay, ditto
- Eastern Colonies, just in case people weren't High Elved out
- Central Jungles in the Southlands, no idea who might fill it
- two or three in Lustria, at least one of which is perfect for a certain ambitious sea dragon we've heard about
- Stirland/Talabecland (loving TODDY)
- eastern and western donut
- some lovely land in the northern wastes, to go along with the presumably lovely land in the southern waste

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Dr Christmas posted:

Compared to giants, huge quadrupedal beasts are faster and better at charging through clumps of infantry.

More armor and missile resistance would mitigate their slow speed and high profile, except they are mostly naked, and their hides look less protective than those of a lot of big beasts.

Giants can use weapons and are slightly more intelligent, so would that translate to better MA and MD, more armor piercing, or anti-large? IIRC Ogre Slave Giants have more weapon strength than Stonehorns, but it’s not enough to outweigh their disadvantages.

I'd give them +15 speed, +20 armor, and re-examine their animations. Or, make them tier 3 and a lot cheaper. One or the other. Their biggest weaknesses are their speed and their armor. They are MASSIVELY outclassed by the Ghorgon, Feral Carnosaur, Feral Dread Saurian (which is tier 4!), Warphinx, etc etc. These changes would put them broadly inline stat wise with those other units, giving them more of a fighting chance. Increased speed would make them close faster, position better, and increase the miss rate on things like cannons. The increased armor would make them more of a threat against basic archers. They presently have the same armor as loving Tier 1 spearmen/swordsmen, just completely absurd.

Edit: Weirdly, they are labeled anti-infantry, but don't actually have a bonus vs infantry. They've got a MASSIVE splash target max at 11, which is quite good, but possibly works against them because IIRC, the damage is spread across. They do 600 WS, with 150 normal and 450 AP. If he hits a full group of tier 1 spearmen, he is gonna put out 54.5 base damage, 13.6 normal damage, 40.9 AP. This gets reduced by their armor a tiny bit to an average of 51.4 final damage, 10.5 normal damage (from the spearman 30 armor, this is the average since how much your armor protects you is variable for whatever gently caress reason), 40.9 AP (AP ignores armor). At 69 health per model, that means on a full splash attack, nothing dies. And then they hit your giant 2-3 times before he makes another attack.

For the fun of breaking down the math a bit more, lets go ahead and examine the Giant a bit more. It has a charge bonus 40 (this is rather good!) and a MA of 65 (quite good!). So lets bring these into play for the above. As a reminder, our chance to hit is = 35% + (MA - MD)%, max 90%, min 8%. Also, everything following is rounded because its easier.

Basic Model (Giant attacks Spearmen from the front, no charge)
Splash Max: 11
Hit Chance: 66% (35 + 65ma - 34md)
Avg Hits: 7
Avg Damage: 80 (16ND + 64AP)
Dead Targets: 7

Okay, that's actually better than I thought. I initially thought I was gonna get an argument for giving them a bonus vs infantry, but maybe its not entirely needed? Let's test out some more:

After doing a lot of basic work here, it turns out collision/charge damage is a loving nightmare that requires going into the db to even try and figure out. At a high level, more units get hit, which can push the raw damage below the kill amount, but collision damage probably makes it worth it.

Overall, after wasting 2 hours crunching numbers and tracking stuff down, I think my initial recommendations would be a good starting point. When IE drops I might actually do some mod testing of them.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 5, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

how do giants do against dwarf warriors?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

how do giants do against dwarf warriors?

No one knows, because the organ guns, thunderers, and quarrelers have killed it before it can get anywhere near the line.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Giants are actually kind of useful in my current Taurox campaign because:
1)theyre pretty low-tier and its easy to get buildings that can recruit them
2)all units are free with no upkeep, so Im limited by unit caps instead, leading to
3)there's no reason not to take them in some armies because otherwise I would just get some lovely T1 infantry that doesnt have unit caps

Their performance in battles isnt too bad either. They dont get a lot of kills, but they do provide a great area to rally the rest of my garbage infantry around since their leadership will most likely hold throughout the whole battle. This leads the enemy to blob around my giants, making them a great anvil to bring my hammer down on, which beastmen have in abundance

They still get phased out as I unlock ghorgons and jabbersythes, but I have enough spare armies that I might as well keep a couple giants here and there. I guess this mostly comes down to faction and campaign mechanics and in multiplayer, nearly none of this is relevant. Im def not against buffing giants a bit cause it seems like they should be able to kick some rear end and they really cant

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Let them throw rocks at the other army from far away.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Obviously they should have an ability to fall over, and do like a fist of gork or something amount of damage, while drastically reducing melee defence until the giant can stand back up.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok she looks amazing. (Another leak.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cool shield

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Randarkman posted:

Not surprising. Warhammer has been ripping off Warcraft for a long time now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Not surprising. Warhammer has been ripping off Warcraft for a long time now.

:ironicat: or :thejoke:?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Ok she looks amazing. (Another leak.)

She looks cool as gently caress.

2.0 can't get here soon enough.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

giants are good in sfo :shrug:

What does sfo do to make giants more usable?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Missile/phys resistance mainly, IIRC.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I kinda want to play Valkia first because she just looks that loving awesome. :allears:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

toasterwarrior posted:

Missile/phys resistance mainly, IIRC.

they get shieldbreaker too iirc

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What I would like to see is knockback totally reworked to be an effective tool, and basically given to some units but not as spread around as liberally as it is. I know formations really dont work in wh, but I would love to see tighter infantry in close order get bonuses to encourage the use of disruption effects to mitigate it, like if Cathay's formation ability didnt suck rear end. So anyway, the ideal would be to reduce knockback availability and make it so units knocked down had a MD penalty and removed whatever formation effect they had. In that setting, you could give giants huge knockback but not a lot of damage so they would act as force multipliers for your own troops, knocking down enemies so they can't attack and debuffing their MD while they are on the ground. Which is a lot of changes to make just to make giants useful.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they get shieldbreaker too iirc
This also a nice idea. That way if they do make it into melee they are at least helping buff your missile troops.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

my man karl already has:

secessionists, marienburg, vampire counts, norsca, skullsmasherz, rakarth, crooked moon, all sorts of beastymens, dumb as gently caress elector states, chaos and occasionally grimgor

not sure he needs a realm divide on top of it too

The Crooked Moon are gone and Mannfred got moved away(so you won't have to deal with two vampires). Rakarth got replaced by Bel'akor, which is admittedly probably going to be a bigger problem for the Empire early game. Festus is also chilling up in the northern Empire now but he's absolutely going to be more of Toddy's problem than Karl's.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

is this Maz?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In tabletop giants were pretty good anti-other monsters, since they had higher initiative than most of them and had a table to roll on when fighting other monsters, with results like smashing the enemy in the head for massive damage, headbutting them to stun them and I think one result made them just win that round of combat by a smallish margin.

They'd have to redo its animations but I desperately want giants doing wrestling moves on large enemies. Can you imagine it charging with a dropkick, getting enemies in headlocks or dropping the people's elbows on its enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

No, that was circa -1500 IC and was done by Lord Quex.